Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2014, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 155,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Offer Expires Apr. 17, 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 170,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Expired Jan 17 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 130,000 points for spending $4,000 in 4 months; $95 annual fee. OFFER EXPIRED AUG 28.
Hilton HHonors American Express Ascend card
. 75,000 points for spending $2,000 in 3 months+ 25,000 points after additional $1000 in 6 months; $95 annual fee.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product."

Note: For existing Surpass card holders, AMEX verbally confirmed that on or after 20 January 2018, card holders can call in and request cards be converted to Aspire - while maintaining the same credit card number, balance limits, PIN, etc.

Card features:
  • Annual fee: $95 $150, no first-year waiver.
  • Earning: 12 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 6 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; 4 points for online retail purchases (as of 2023); and 3 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card

Check your application status

Linking Amex Ascend Surpass to your Hilton Honors account.Many (most?) have reported that a new Hilton Honors number gets assigned by Amex even when they put their existing Hilton Honors number in the application, and it can take several weeks to get this worked out. However, the key to making things go smoothly seems to be an exact match of your name and address between Amex and Hilton, including adding your middle initial to your Hilton Honors account if you use it on your Amex. When everything matches, an Amex rep should be able to update the account number, it should "go through" immediately, and the correct Hilton account number will be reflected on the Amex website in about 2 days.

Is the Amex Ascend Surpass churnable?As of May 1, 2014, Amex will not give a signup bonus to card applicants who have held the card in the past ~7 years, even if the applicant has never earned a previous signup bonus for it. However, it is still possible to upgrade an existing Hilton Amex to the Ascend Surpass card to earn a bonus (and reportedly to do this more than once by later downgrading & then upgrading again). The best strategy is to earn a Ascend Surpass signup bonus first, and only afterward pursue the upgrade bonus(es).

For information on other Hilton-branded credit cards, see the wiki at Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi

Print Wikipost

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:39 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
As to not confuse the Surpass PP with my CSR PP, I immediately cut the Surpass PP up and threw it away.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by Abidjan
As to not confuse the Surpass PP with my CSR PP, I immediately cut the Surpass PP up and threw it away.
I never removed the Surpass PP from the paper it was stuck to so as not to confuse!

I was surprised that I FINALLY got the product change notice email from AMEX this past weekend. Took them forever considering others had posted that they were notified soon after the new product was announced.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
christianj - your idea was probably the better one, lol.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by ScubaAddict
Question: Just got a note from Amex: "HH Surpass Card will now be known as HH Ascend Card" (effective January 18, 2018) and the fee will increase to $95, etc.

Can I just cancel AMEX Surpass and re-apply for the 'new and different' Amex Ascend card - allowing me to get the bonus for the new card? If I allow them to convert the card, I won't be eligible to get the bonus again, correct? Can someone who knows please clarify this for me?

Thanks!
Guess I'll quote myself to see if we have any new readers who have info on cancelling Surpass and reapplying to get a new bonus. I assume cancellation should be done soon, so the background process doesn't start and show that I am already the owner of the new Ascend Card.

Again I appreciate if anyone has any knowledge on this!
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kvan

i got a physical card, but there's a co-pay with each lounge visit. Probably won't get any use from this benefit.
Not once the card changes to Ascend, right? That's one of the new benefits, 10 free visits per year. I think I read that we can use the PP Card we already have (glad I didn't shred it like some people have!).
Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by ScubaAddict
Guess I'll quote myself to see if we have any new readers who have info on cancelling Surpass and reapplying to get a new bonus. I assume cancellation should be done soon, so the background process doesn't start and show that I am already the owner of the new Ascend Card.

Again I appreciate if anyone has any knowledge on this!
Knowing the one time bonus per card lifetime policy of Amex, and knowing that Surpass cards are going to convert to Ascend in January, it is doubtful you can game Amex by cancelling Surpass now and reapply to get the Ascend bonus.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Tizzette

Knowing the one time bonus per card lifetime policy of Amex, and knowing that Surpass cards are going to convert to Ascend in January, it is doubtful you can game Amex by cancelling Surpass now and reapply to get the Ascend bonus.
But isn't it a different card? Different name, different annual fee, different benefits? I've gotten (as many of us have) bonuses on different Amex cards, even different Amex Hilton cards - so why would we not get a bonus on this "new" Ascend card, which actually is a replacement for the old Citi card? (let's not forget that)
Old Dec 12, 2017, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
But isn't it a different card? Different name, different annual fee, different benefits? I've gotten (as many of us have) bonuses on different Amex cards, even different Amex Hilton cards - so why would we not get a bonus on this "new" Ascend card, which actually is a replacement for the old Citi card? (let's not forget that)
Hmm. Since Surpass is being discontinued and people are being issued Ascends as replacements, I can't see Amex letting you cancel Surpass to get the bonus on Ascend. Just my opinion. Maybe if there's a gap of 6 months or a year between cards it would work.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 9:00 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by worldiswide
One more question. Ascend benefits include priority club passes. Did a physical card come with the card. I scant recall getting one.
Physical card needed for typical PP. With that being said, I one time didn't have my physical card and they called someplace/someone to verify.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by Tizzette

Hmm. Since Surpass is being discontinued and people are being issued Ascends as replacements, I can't see Amex letting you cancel Surpass to get the bonus on Ascend. Just my opinion. Maybe if there's a gap of 6 months or a year between cards it would work.
Many of us are banking on the opposite interpretation. They look, act and sound like different products. In my case, if I am wrong, I will only lose 2 months of AF. Easy gamble.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by AugustWest
Many of us are banking on the opposite interpretation. They look, act and sound like different products. In my case, if I am wrong, I will only lose 2 months of AF. Easy gamble.
I'm assuming this will work. Do you also think the old and new no-fee cards will be treated as different products?
Old Dec 30, 2017, 8:25 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
I have the Citi and the Surpass. Kinda just waiting to see what they do. I have moved almost all spend to Chase.....F/CFU/CSR combo.

My question is around hard pulls. Is anything hitting from these cards being moved, changed transferred etc.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
I have the Citi and the Surpass. Kinda just waiting to see what they do. I have moved almost all spend to Chase.....F/CFU/CSR combo.

My question is around hard pulls. Is anything hitting from these cards being moved, changed transferred etc.
There are no hard pulls if you do nothing and let them transfer and rename the cards.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 2:04 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
When do the new cards come out and we can apply for them?
Old Jan 6, 2018, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
When do the new cards come out and we can apply for them?
According to their website, January 18, 2018: https://www.hiltonhonorscard.com/

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.