Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2014, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 155,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Offer Expires Apr. 17, 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 170,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Expired Jan 17 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 130,000 points for spending $4,000 in 4 months; $95 annual fee. OFFER EXPIRED AUG 28.
Hilton HHonors American Express Ascend card
. 75,000 points for spending $2,000 in 3 months+ 25,000 points after additional $1000 in 6 months; $95 annual fee.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product."

Note: For existing Surpass card holders, AMEX verbally confirmed that on or after 20 January 2018, card holders can call in and request cards be converted to Aspire - while maintaining the same credit card number, balance limits, PIN, etc.

Card features:
  • Annual fee: $95 $150, no first-year waiver.
  • Earning: 12 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 6 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; 4 points for online retail purchases (as of 2023); and 3 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card

Check your application status

Linking Amex Ascend Surpass to your Hilton Honors account.Many (most?) have reported that a new Hilton Honors number gets assigned by Amex even when they put their existing Hilton Honors number in the application, and it can take several weeks to get this worked out. However, the key to making things go smoothly seems to be an exact match of your name and address between Amex and Hilton, including adding your middle initial to your Hilton Honors account if you use it on your Amex. When everything matches, an Amex rep should be able to update the account number, it should "go through" immediately, and the correct Hilton account number will be reflected on the Amex website in about 2 days.

Is the Amex Ascend Surpass churnable?As of May 1, 2014, Amex will not give a signup bonus to card applicants who have held the card in the past ~7 years, even if the applicant has never earned a previous signup bonus for it. However, it is still possible to upgrade an existing Hilton Amex to the Ascend Surpass card to earn a bonus (and reportedly to do this more than once by later downgrading & then upgrading again). The best strategy is to earn a Ascend Surpass signup bonus first, and only afterward pursue the upgrade bonus(es).

For information on other Hilton-branded credit cards, see the wiki at Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi

Print Wikipost

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2018, 5:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff

My understanding is that the credit card associated with your PP account will be charged if you access the lounge and don’t have free access. No need for the lounge agent to know anything about your account. (not sure if the little card reader would tell them, though?)
I must be really dense...how does the lounge agent know whether to charge you or not?
Old Jan 15, 2018, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I must be really dense...how does the lounge agent know whether to charge you or not?
The lounge attendant wouldn't know.

They swipe your priority pass at the PP lounge. If you are entitled to free access you won't get charged (like with the Chase Sapphire Reserve card). If you aren't entitled to free access then the credit card association with the PP pass gets charged (like with the Hilton Surpass card).

I'm assuming PP pays the lounge for each card swipe and if you are to be charged for entrance PP charges the credit card associated with it.

I have a couple PP's and one of them charges a fee for entrance. What I do is just shred the other ones and keep the Chase Sapphire one. I have that card loaded to the digital app. So far all the lounges I have used accept the digital card but I know some don't. I always have my passport with me in my backpack for a backup ID in case I lose my wallet so I have a government ID and I just put that physical card in the passport case.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 7:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
The lounge attendant wouldn't know.

They swipe your priority pass at the PP lounge. If you are entitled to free access you won't get charged (like with the Chase Sapphire Reserve card). If you aren't entitled to free access then the credit card association with the PP pass gets charged (like with the Hilton Surpass card).

I'm assuming PP pays the lounge for each card swipe and if you are to be charged for entrance PP charges the credit card associated with it.

But don't you have to have a "new" PP card associated with the free access from your new Ascend card?

How will "digging the old PP card out of a drawer" that used to be associated with the paid access Surpass card work? No one knows, with that card, that you took the new Ascend card. What if you didn't?
Old Jan 15, 2018, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
But don't you have to have a "new" PP card associated with the free access from your new Ascend card?

How will "digging the old PP card out of a drawer" that used to be associated with the paid access Surpass card work? No one knows, with that card, that you took the new Ascend card. What if you didn't?
Not sure how that will work if the ascend credit card number stays the same as the Surpass Am Ex card number. The new benefits will probably just be linked to the same PP card but I wouldn't want to risk it. I would try contacting Priority pass they may know. The other thing you could try is using the PP card and if your ascend card does get charged call Am Ex and request a credit for the entry fee
Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:46 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
What do you mean "in your account" - aren't they going to send out a physical card or something to use at the lounges?
By account, I mean when I logged into the Priority Pass website. I would guess that they'll also be sending out a physical card as well, but they've changed my account online already.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
My wife has the no-fee Amex Hilton and has an upgrade offer to the Surpass for 75K points after $3K spending. The offer appears in the Amex Offers and is good until 1/17. Went ahead and accepted, since I can't see any reason that this wouldn't be a good idea. Her no-fee card would be converted to the new design in a few weeks anyway, and the Surpass card will transition to the Ascend. She's held the Surpass before so there's no Ascend signup bonus to miss out on there.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...

Suggest you call Amex and/or PP once you have the Ascend card. I don't think anyone here can give you an authoritative answer at this point.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:46 am

Programs: UA Prem, HH Diamond, Alaska MVP
Just checked my PP account and I too have 10 credits in my PP account. I am a Surpass card holder.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: UA Prem, HH Diamond, Alaska MVP
BTW...They are not necessarily sending out new physical cards and are pushing people toward using the electronic card in the app.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by mpeterson78
My wife has the no-fee Amex Hilton and has an upgrade offer to the Surpass for 75K points after $3K spending. The offer appears in the Amex Offers and is good until 1/17. Went ahead and accepted, since I can't see any reason that this wouldn't be a good idea. Her no-fee card would be converted to the new design in a few weeks anyway, and the Surpass card will transition to the Ascend. She's held the Surpass before so there's no Ascend signup bonus to miss out on there.
Just curious if you considered waiting until after January 17 to apply for the upgrade? I'm debating in my own mind whether, at the cost of an additional $20 ($95 AF vs. $75 AF), it's worth waiting to upgrade hoping for a better upgrade bonus.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mpeterson78
My offer a few months ago was 100K, try calling up and asking if they will match what friends of yours got, probably not but nothing to lose
Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: HH Gold
Does anyone from Citi side have an Aspire Amex in hand yet?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by txcards
Does anyone from Citi side have an Aspire Amex in hand yet?
Huh?

The Surpass card and the Citi Reserve card are being converted to Ascend, not Aspire.

Aspire is the upcoming (still several days away from debuting) $450 AF card that gives you HH Diamond status.

Meanwhile, you're in the thread about Surpass. Why are you asking questions about Citi Reserve -> Ascend here, when there's a separate thread for that:

Citi Hilton Honors cards going away by end of 2017
Old Jan 16, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by jws5527
Just curious if you considered waiting until after January 17 to apply for the upgrade? I'm debating in my own mind whether, at the cost of an additional $20 ($95 AF vs. $75 AF), it's worth waiting to upgrade hoping for a better upgrade bonus.
The thought process was:
- I know for sure that the no-fee -> surpass upgrade/downgrade cycle has worked flawlessly before (this would be my 3rd upgrade bonus for the same credit line).
- The usual upgrade bonus was 50K, so 75K is superior.
- Also, no idea whether the no-fee -> ascend upgrade will be as lucrative or even be offered at all, so might as well get one more guaranteed bonus in before 1/18 in case some loophole closes.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:20 pm

Programs: HH Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Huh?

The Surpass card and the Citi Reserve card are being converted to Ascend, not Aspire.

Aspire is the upcoming (still several days away from debuting) $450 AF card that gives you HH Diamond status.

Meanwhile, you're in the thread about Surpass. Why are you asking questions about Citi Reserve -> Ascend here, when there's a separate thread for that:

Citi Hilton Honors cards going away by end of 2017

I saw posts from Citi folks so I would check and see if any had been able to upgrade from Ascend to Aspire from their prior card.

I have a stay eligible for resort credit next week and wanted to get my Aspire ASAP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.