Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Trianon Palace Versailles, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel {FRA} (France)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trianon Palace Versailles, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel {FRA} (France)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2009, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA 1MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dwcatty
I'm looking at a trip to Paris late next spring to celebrate Mrs. dwcatty's birthday (one that ends with a zero) and was thinking of splitting our time at ADT and TPV. Is there any history of the above offer being made other than this past year that might lead anyone to think it might come up again? Right now it is 60,000 points a night to stay in May, and a 20% discount would be nice to have.

I also signed up for their "email exclusives" on the hotel's web page. Anyone ever gotten any good deals out of that?

Thnaks, Doug
This has only been a Hilton property since January, so there's no history.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Exec, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat Elite
Trip Report - Almost no Diamond recognition

Stayed there a couple nights over Thanksgiving holiday. Really unimpressive. Did get "upgraded" from the outbuilding to the main building, and room was good sized for European standards.

There is no lounge at this property, and no HHonors breakfast offered. Best Diamond option was the 1000 (soon to be devalued) points. While the hotel is convenient to the Palace of Versailles, it is inconvenient to everything else. Almost no decent restaurant options close by (highly touristy places). It is a long walk to train station, train is 3euro PP each way into the city. Taxi to CDG was 100euro.

If you have piles of money and can take cabs everywhere, maybe this is ok, but if you have piles of money your more likley staying at George V.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA Silver, DL Silver (MM), HH LT Diamond, MR LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Ed ONeill
There is no lounge at this property, and no HHonors breakfast offered. Best Diamond option was the 1000 (soon to be devalued) points.
Breakfast is not one of the amenities offered to VIPs at the WA collection.

Benefits when staying Waldorf Astoria hotels:

* Expedited HHonors check in at designated desk
* Late checkout based on availability
* Complimentary weekday newspaper (where locally available)
* Two bottles of water per stay
* Complimentary health club access where available, owned and operated by the hotel
* Welcome beverage (up to two guests)
* One category room upgrade* (excludes suites, Napua Tower at Grand Wailea and Imperial Floor at Rome Cavalieri) and choose TWO of the following:
o 1,000 Hilton HHonors bonus points
o One complimentary movie (where locally available)
o Discount at Hotel/Resort facility - either Spa, Golf or Restaurant as designated by the Hotel/Resort management
*Note: if a room upgrade is not available, the member will receive all of the above benefits
Old Dec 5, 2009, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Ed ONeill
Stayed there a couple nights over Thanksgiving holiday. Really unimpressive. If you have piles of money and can take cabs everywhere, maybe this is ok, but if you have piles of money your more likley staying at George V.
This property seems to be a great fit for the W-A collection. Mediocre property with no significant reasons for Diamonds to even think about visiting.

Having checked out every W-A hotel's ratings at Tripadvisor.com, the only one that seems to be getting excellent reviews is the Roosevelt in New Orleans. Yes--there is also the Grand Wailea, but points redemption rates at that monstrous location are outrageous.....
Old Apr 24, 2010, 3:02 am
Suspended

Hello, any update on this hotel? any free breakfast for diamonds? how you compared this WA with Hilton ADT? Thanks!!!
Old Jun 9, 2010, 2:09 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
Location was great for our purposes

Originally Posted by travelexpert
This property seems to be a great fit for the W-A collection. Mediocre property with no significant reasons for Diamonds to even think about visiting.
I wouldn't go that far...but pretty close.

We spent the first night of our nine in Paris at the Versailles Trianon Palace before moving on to the ADT. It was a very nice hotel and an excellent use of one of my Q3FNs. The clientele is definitely upper crust, and you can almost smell money instead of perfume when guests walk by. It was a good stay for one night for our purposes, but there was nothing about the hotel itself that makes me long to go back.

Having read reports here ahead of time about the two different buildings I wrote the property the week of our arrival and specifically requested a room in the main building. We got it. No upgrade, however.

The room was comfortable. There were 12 foot ceilings and a window that actually opened into the courtyard. The bathroom was rather odd - the floor was heated but there was no control for it. The glass panel for the shower only extended halfway. Bed was firm but comfortable, sheets were excellent quality and the towels and robes were fluffy.

We got no breakfast although we did have use of the pool and hammam (which were wonderful for our aching bodies after the long travel day), and they gave us a coupon for two free drinks at the patio bar. The concierge was very helpful, and I think can sell you tickets to the chateau or gardens, but we had already purchased them at a tourist office we passed near the train station. They had good information on the trains.

We arrived in Versailles after the overnight flight from the States and rolled our suitcases there from the Rive Gauche station, stopping at the market in Notre Dame Square to buy picnic supplies. They seemed rather surprised to see guests arriving on foot. Same with our departure; we walked to the Rive Droite station and that surprised them to no end.

We used the WA-TPV as a base to see the Versailles palace and gardens. We entered the gardens just across the street from the hotel our first day and had a picnic and just wandered the gardens watching the fountains play to stave off jet lag. After a good nights sleep were at the entrance of the chateau the next morning when it opened, and after touring the main building stopped back at the hotel (after visiting the market again for more picnic supplies) to check out and leave our bags in storage, and then went and saw the Grand and Petite Trianons before catching the train into Paris. It worked out perfectly for us.

As for a comparison to the ADT, I wrote a rather lengthy report on our stay there a week ago. The only reason I would choose the VTP over the ADT is if I wanted to spend two days doing the chateau and gardens, which we did. For our purposes a Hilton Garden Inn would have done just as well. Having stayed there, I have no burning desire to return.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA 1MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dwcatty
I wouldn't go that far...but pretty close.
We arrived in Versailles after the overnight flight from the States and rolled our suitcases there from the Rive Gauche station, stopping at the market in Notre Dame Square to buy picnic supplies. They seemed rather surprised to see guests arriving on foot. Same with our departure; we walked to the Rive Droite station and that surprised them to no end.
I stayed here 5 years ago when it was an SPG property. We also walked from the RER station and stopped at the tourism office to ask for directions. The lady at the desk was shocked when we told her which hotel we had booked, and offered to call a taxi. I later learned that it was the only four star hotel in Versailles. Yes, we walked and rolled our luggage into the parking lot to see many AMG Mercedes and a couple of Bently Continental GT's. It's a ritzy place.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 9:10 am

What is the best and more cot effective way to get there form CDG?
Old Aug 13, 2010, 6:13 am
AHN

Programs: SK EBG
Having just spent two very relaxing days at this hotel, I can see why some people don't like it. It is not a good choice if you are a tourist trying to see as much as possible. For somebody flying in from overseas it may feel like a dead end.

It is, however, a very good choice if you need to unwind and relax with good food in a quiet place.

While prices are frequently high, I was able to book for €139 including breakfast. There are plenty of inexpensive places to eat in Versailles itself. Parking is free. Diamonds get very little recognition, and there is no lounge.

If the price is right I will return the next time I feel a bit burnt out.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 7:22 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, WN A-List Preferred & CP, Marriott Gold, American Platinum Pro, National Executive
I have read the posts and they appear mixed. I feel compelled to write this, as the Trianon Palace is one of my favorite hotels in France. My wife and I have stayed here twice (in the past two years) and both times the experience has been fantastic (we are both HH Diamond and treated very well). The large rooms have both been on the top floor of the main hotel with great views of the gardens and the palace grounds. The rooms were quite modern and had very comfortable bedding. Also they were MUCH larger than the norm for experiences in other locations in France. The grounds and facilities are absolutely beautiful. The hotel is a short cab ride from the public train station where we came in from Paris. On both occasions, we spend several days enjoying the town of Versailles. The town is quite charming and the beautiful hotel just made the trips even more fun. I agree that everything is quite expensive at the hotel, but there are several cafe's and shops within walking distance that are much more affordable if you wish.

My only complaint was that I did not feel that the Restaurant Gordon Ramsey was really worth 2 Michelin Stars, nor the cost of the dinner. Our dinner (the tasting menu) was good, but not really special. I have eaten in other GR restaurants that were much better (GR London and Maize). Maybe Gordon Ramsay's travel schedule and TV fame takes too much time away from his attention to this restaurant. It was good, but not great and by no means worth the 600 euro bill that come with it for two tasting menus and wine pairings (which were not very impressive, nor were they perfectly paired to the food). I am sure that this is leased space, and I can't really blame the hotel for this.

All in all, I really like the Trianon Palace and am looking forward to a return trip there at some point. If you are looking for a 1st Class Historical Hotel experience to get away and don't mind spending a bit out of pocket for it, then you will enjoy the Trianon Palace. If you are looking for a business class Hilton property, then you are looking in the wrong place.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 7:27 am

Programs: FB LTPE, hhonors diamond, hertz 5*, Thalysthecard Platinium, A-club Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by SuperSnoop
Yes, we walked and rolled our luggage into the parking lot to see many AMG Mercedes and a couple of Bently Continental GT's. It's a ritzy place.
Drove up there on the way back from a week's skiing in the alps for a one night stopover in Paris on a Q1 one night certificate. Our family mini-van was nicely covered in mud and salt. We got yelled at it in a very french way when we tried to park up front between the Ferrari and Bentley parade to checking. We got a nice room in the main building, had to park in the downstairs garage, got no help with our luggage, used the drink vouchers, took the RER to spend an enjoyable afternoon/evening in Paris to show my daughter some of the major sights and did not bother with breakfast.

If you do not drive a quarter million euro car, you will not be welcomed in this hotel...
Old Aug 13, 2010, 2:33 pm

Programs: Delta - Plat, Hilton - Diamond
Originally Posted by Winecaptain
My only complaint was that I did not feel that the Restaurant Gordon Ramsey was really worth 2 Michelin Stars, nor the cost of the dinner. Our dinner (the tasting menu) was good, but not really special. I have eaten in other GR restaurants that were much better (GR London and Maize). Maybe Gordon Ramsay's travel schedule and TV fame takes too much time away from his attention to this restaurant. It was good, but not great and by no means worth the 600 euro bill that come with it for two tasting menus and wine pairings (which were not very impressive, nor were they perfectly paired to the food). I am sure that this is leased space, and I can't really blame the hotel for this.

Why on earth would you spend that much money on a dinner?
Old Aug 13, 2010, 7:24 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, WN A-List Preferred & CP, Marriott Gold, American Platinum Pro, National Executive
Both my wife and I enjoy true world class fine dining experiences. Tomorrow, I will be dining at Per Se (Manhattan) and it is one of my favorite dining experiences in the US (Michelin 3 star). We regularly dine at all of the Michelin starred restaurants and usually find the experience to be fantastic. I can't explain to someone who does not understand, but it is more about the entire experience than the food. My complaint was not about the price, albeit expensive, but about the fact that the dining experience did not justify the price. When we dine at Michelin 2 & 3 Star restaurants especially, my expectations are heightened to a world class level. In this case, the experience did not meet that expecatation. That's all...
Old Aug 14, 2010, 7:28 am

Programs: FB LTPE, hhonors diamond, hertz 5*, Thalysthecard Platinium, A-club Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by msmont
Why on earth would you spend that much money on a dinner?
Because one can?
drewp123 likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 11:02 pm

For some reason, I though Gordon sold the restaurant here as part of his restructuring deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.