Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Garden Inn Milan Malpensa {ITA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Garden Inn Milan Malpensa {ITA}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2014, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by bearkatt
I stayed here last October. enjoyed the hotel. took a train from malpensa to lake como. you change trains about halfway to Milan. lake como was great, especially the bus ride up to billagio.^
I'd substitute "thrilling" or "" for "great". Though, I drove it, and encountered those buses going the opposite direction. Clearance was, , about 10 cm.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 10:12 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
now only 8 seats per hour on the airport shuttle

Stayed last weekend, and booked the shuttle bus for an 8 am transfer to the airport. This hotel, with over 100 rooms, now runs an 8 seat mini van to the airport hourly. The pickups are on demand, but the drop off is once per hour.

At 8 am on a Sunday morning, there were more than 8 people wanting to transfer, and the first suggestion was that two more people ride in the laps of the eight who were already aboard the van. We refused, and the van left two people behind. Since it's a 15 minute drive to MXP, it would take at least half an hour for the minivan to come back and get them.

Tip: as soon as you see that van arrive, climb aboard and belt yourself into the seat. Don't get out until you reach MXP!
Old Jun 14, 2014, 10:48 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by transportprof
Stayed last weekend, and booked the shuttle bus for an 8 am transfer to the airport. This hotel, with over 100 rooms, now runs an 8 seat mini van to the airport hourly. The pickups are on demand, but the drop off is once per hour.

At 8 am on a Sunday morning, there were more than 8 people wanting to transfer, and the first suggestion was that two more people ride in the laps of the eight who were already aboard the van. We refused, and the van left two people behind. Since it's a 15 minute drive to MXP, it would take at least half an hour for the minivan to come back and get them.

Tip: as soon as you see that van arrive, climb aboard and belt yourself into the seat. Don't get out until you reach MXP!
They used to have 2 minivans but probably they are down to one now.
In my last stay I wanted to depart at half past but they told me had to be on the hour, as transportprof mentions.
What I cannot understand is how it can be overbooked, as soon as 8 people had booked their transfer at a certain time they should accommodate the other guests at a different time or find alternative transport systems.
In any case in my 2-3 yearly stays the minibus has never been full.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 11:24 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by more4less
What I cannot understand is how it can be overbooked, as soon as 8 people had booked their transfer at a certain time they should accommodate the other guests at a different time or find alternative transport systems.
In any case in my 2-3 yearly stays the minibus has never been full.
In Italy, organizing reservations does not come naturally, in my experience. There is a classic scene in Seinfeld where Jerry explains to a car rental agent the difference between taking reservations and holding reservations. I believe that is what happened on the day we were flying out - there are likely going to be more than 8 people wanting to check in for TATL flights, which all leave in the morning. And if there is one shuttle per hour, the 8 and 9 am vans get overbooked.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Anyone stay here recently? I have one night booked there next week. Will be driving in from the lakes and will spend one night outside of Milan before heading into town the next morning. The price is quite good, but the reviews on TripAdvisor are pretty awful. Many complaints about the shuttle service, which is not relevant for me as we'll have a car.
Old May 21, 2018, 5:58 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Second visit 2018, first visit in 2014

I have completed my second stay here yesterday. My first was in March 2014 (see post #56 ). For my first stay I had contacted the hotel in advanced, received a reply, have been pre-upgraded to a "Queen Suite With Pullout Sofa" (only Standard rooms with either Twin or King available and this sort of Queen Suite). Finally the Restaurant experience has been unexpectedly outstanding for food qualitiy and Service, albeit a larger group had been hosted when we ate at the restaurant.
This time I have contacted the hotel twice with no answer. On arrival I met a very helpful agent. She throughly looked for an upgrade opportunity and found one on floor 3 (out of 4 floors). There are only 6 "Queen Suites" per floor, which sums up to 24 in total. When I checked the availability after check-in no more queen suites were available. My purpose was a leisure stay. We arrived by car and free parking (open and garage parking) was a huge benefit. However, I cannot comment on the shuttle service to the Airport which seems to be troublesome at times according to reports on TripAdvisor.
Like in 2014 the room appeared to be basic. The entrance room is rather small and furnished with a pull-out sofa, a small cupboard for tv and refridgerator, a floor lamp, a small arm-chair . Sofa bed and arm chair are in white leather. There is a small window which can be opended partially. The bathroom lay-out is impractical. "Ideal Standard" smallish bathtub with shower. No space for personal belongigs except for the sink. Toilet and bidet right behind the door. No paper tissues on day 1 and 2 (maybe they ran short of it?). Bedroom with a comfortable bed, two night stands with lamps. Smallish cupboard with safe, tv on the desk, water kettle, two Cups, two glasses, floor lamp, desk chair and extra armchair. There was wooden floor in our room. Large window which was locked. The curtains did a good job, the air condition did not. It cooled down the entrance room, but did not at all cool down the sleeping room. It only made considerable noise (not in the entrance room).
We opted for the bar and restaurant on our first evening. The restaurant opens at 19.00 hrs, the bar from 11.00 hrs if I remember correctly. The bar was largely unstaffed. When a very kind waiter arrived he was interrupted by an intern telephone call first. After that he was happy to bring us the wine list. But it took some more ten minutes until he finally took our order. He was kind, the White wines very great, but service seemed uncoordinated. Then, in the restaurant, the waiter was busy inquiring us if we were the three-party group. We were not and I stressed the fact that we had reserved for two.
We then learnt that they have run out of hand made pasta. There were three choices and none was available. Hmmm... We chose an appetizer instead and then ordered our second choices: shrimps with grilled vegetables as side order and beef fillet (medium) with fried potatoes. And a bottle of red wine. Well.... Four shrimps only on the plate were a disappointing quantity, and the egg-plant of the grilled vegetables did not show any sign of grill. My beef fillet was medium-well-done, rather dry and the potatoe wedges not spectacular. When the head waiter asked if everything was ok, my friend said no: the egg-plant are raw. His answer was a little helpless: "but I like them that way". So, NO great restaurant experience this time.
We asked at the reception for an alternative. An again very kind and helpful receptionist recommended two restaurant and favoured his first recommendation, a trottoria serveral Kilometers away. We were told that both Restaurants would come to get us and bring us back again. We eventually opted for his recommendation the other night because the alternative Restaurant was closed for private function. Indeed, a nice waiter from the Trattoria del Ponte came to meet us at the hotel and later on he came to our table to bring us back. An authentic restaurant with solid food, well frequented, good atmoshpere and attentive service. Albeit 15 minutes drive I would return. Before leaving for the trattoria we went to the hotel bar again. That evening service was more present and faster. That kind receptionist inquried about our yesterday experience in the Restaurant and we gave him our impressions. He and his colleague have been very concerned. He said he will take care of this and that he would "do someting for us."
We solved the air condition Problem by putting it off but leaving the small window open. It was a little warm but we had enough fresh air. I noticed that you can hear guests from neighbouring rooms and if talking on the hall-way. However, it we were lucky with our neighbours and had quiet nights. The road in front of the hotel is busy during day time and evenings but the Windows are well isolated. In our case, the open window showed towards the street but noise did not much permeate into our sleeping room.
Breakfast was ok. Not many choices but everything one needs was there. Coffee was available from a coffee-maker (I did not like it) or made in the kitchen on orer (I preferred that). A nice waitress took care of the breakfast while she was assisted by a younger lady who appeared a bit less professional.
On check-out I had to inquire for the original room rate. After having been upgraded the more expensive room rate appeared in my Reservation. That has been quickly rectified. There was no sign of any compensation the other receptionist was about to give. Well, we did not ask for it and so this was ok. I then asked for the General manager's address to being able to provide him a personal feed-back. To my surprise the Business Card had the same email address on it I used for my contacting pre-Arrival. When I told the receptionist that I already wrote him pre-Arrival but never got an answer she said that they were able to read my E-Mail..
All in all: a hotel that does its job while showing some age and with some potential for improvement.
The hotel is still a bit outside of Somma Lombardo. Walking into town involves walking on busy streets which I would not want to do when it is dark. We went to see Varese, which is an interesting town, a 10 minutes' drive by car away. There is a rail-way station, there are public buses though I did not see any bus stop by the hotel and I did not put any energy in finding out.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
BUMP - any recent stays anyone?......ive got a 1 night here soon .....many thanks in advance.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:41 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Well, I have stayed in May this year and reported my stay upthread
Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I had a one-night stay at the end of May. While not luxurious, it was fine for what it was. I had no trouble with the shuttle service. When my flight out of MXP was delayed, I asked the front desk to switch my shuttle reservation to a later one, which was no problem. The front desk staff was friendly.

I had dinner at the restaurant, and I thought the food was excellent. The food quality at breakfast was not as good as the food at dinner, but it was fine.

I would suggest bringing a power strip if you have multiple gadgets to charge, as there was not an ample supply of power outlets.

I would stay here again if the situation warranted.
wizla likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by Zurich
Well, I have stayed in May this year and reported my stay upthread
Thanks....yeah I don't know how I missed your report ..... a very informative post ,obviously some issues too.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:30 am

I'm here tomorrow night ( Tuesday ) , no upgrade yet but it's early and hotel doesn't appear to have any rooms available above the one I booked ( king room ) .
My flight gets in at 9-30 pm but still will do the customary live trip report and try for some photos ........ will report back!
Old Aug 14, 2018, 4:31 pm

Arrived 10-20pm, no upgrade but room is nice enough, king room corner and top floor, had pizza in restaurant on arrival as it was soon closing, it was nice !......room fairly large and everything works fine....nice shower, very powerful!....bed very firm but comfy,....walk in wardrobe, safe and fridge ...no complaints it is all good and air con works well.
Up early for breakfast as got to get to central milan......will report back!
Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:13 pm

Woke early and went down to grab a coffee, breakfast area looks nice , lots of cake type items, really good coffee too! ( I guess I am in Italy! )........ no time to use gym but will get some photos for you guys.......hotel has a diamond lounge, a like of quiet area opposite bar with magazines and chess set, jenga etc.......it was packed with kids playing table football last night ( no thanks ).
Will go for breakfast and then check out but will get some photos too.......will report back!
Old Aug 15, 2018, 6:57 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by wizla
Woke early and went down to grab a coffee, breakfast area looks nice , lots of cake type items, really good coffee too! ( I guess I am in Italy! )........ no time to use gym but will get some photos for you guys.......hotel has a diamond lounge, a like of quiet area opposite bar with magazines and chess set, jenga etc.......it was packed with kids playing table football last night ( no thanks ).
Will go for breakfast and then check out but will get some photos too.......will report back!
Thanks info wizla,

I have stayed in this hotel probably 6/7 times in the last 3 years and is the 1st time I have heart about the Diamond lounge.
Will look into it in my next visit.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by more4less

Thanks info wizla,

I have stayed in this hotel probably 6/7 times in the last 3 years and is the 1st time I have heart about the Diamond lounge.
Will look into it in my next visit.
I wouldn't get too excited as it's a kinda bar extension area with some games, will upload some photos when I get time.

Breakfast was quite impressive, lovely selection mainly cakes and pastries.....I did try the strangely hot selection ( potato wedges., carrots scrambled eggs , bacon and garlic sausage) but it was simply tepid and unpleasant....shame , however great coffee!.......took coffee outside, nice garden area if weather permits.
Check out was swift and I'm directed to the shuttle bus to get back to airport for train to milan central.

CONCLUSION - I really liked it, no issues as such , polite and friendly staff , shuttle bus system works well, would happily return!

ROOM NO - 411

NEXT STAY - Hilton Milan ( I'm here now )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.