Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:50 pm

I only post this to remind people to be safe and aware of you swimming ability.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/5-tour...es-this-month/
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by lhrhappy
Outside of the US and A, workers are paid a fair wage to do their jobs and do not expect their palms greased in return for a job well done.
You nailed it, guv. It really is a shame that the US of A forces their wills and ways on the rest of the world (read service charge in this case) and it then becomes the norm.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
You nailed it, guv. It really is a shame that the US of A forces their wills and ways on the rest of the world (read service charge in this case) and it then becomes the norm.
YES indeed. American here, living in Tokyo and China for the past 6+ years and tipping culture is absurd at this point especially when I return. In the Carribean, I felt my service was well worth tips. But if Tokyo restaurants can charge me less for a lunch which is leaps and bounds better than in the USA (without tip and consistently faster and better service), then I doubt what the objective of a tip is back home other than to fill the pockets of the owners. Just booked my first flight to MLE and I hope this can top Turks and Caicos.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:32 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott PPE with Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Access to coral area / drop off by Retreat Water Villas

Does anyone know if there is an access point to get in the water from the walkway by the Retreat Water Villas / Mandhoo in order to snorkel in that vicinity?

IIRC, if one does NOT have a villa in that section, then the only way would be to swim from the beach nearest Mandhoo. I didn’t remember seeing any other public access point from that long stretch of decking that leads to villa 421 when I was last there as a guest.

Thanks for the help!
Old Jan 22, 2019, 5:21 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott PPE with Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Traveler Dave
I only post this to remind people to be safe and aware of you swimming ability.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/5-tour...es-this-month/

Good article, thanks for posting. We go for long snorkels (in the Maldives and Carribean), although we are young / healthy / strong swimmers we always wear a life vest for safety reasons. We even bring our own vests, fins and masks whenever we go on a snorkel holiday as it ensures comfortable / quality gear. Be safe everyone!
Old Jan 22, 2019, 5:54 am

can confirm the wind and current are extremely strong right now.
as such, visibility underwater is not ideal.
was struggling most of the time. and felt like drowning myself when i went out on the whale shark excursion last week.
the waves were high and water were seeping into the mask most of the time.

at the resort, the water is rough around the big island area
but it's still calm and very shallow (during low tide) at the Superior WV in the small island area
so maybe keep to the snorkeling area where you can stand if you are not a strong swimmer.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by joytatee
My husband and I just checked out from Conrad Rangali yesterday. We did not do the snorkeling @ a deserted island. But we did "Discover Snorkeling" ($50/per person) because I can't swim. It was a wonderful trip. We saw a turtle and a lot of fish. If you are nervous to get in the water, you can try this one first before going to a deserted island.

I got sunburn badly in 2016 from snorkeling @ Conrad Rangali. Lesson learned. So this trip I got a long sleeve shirt and long pants for swimming from Amazon. They really protected me from the sun.
Thanks for good tip. Did you have a guide accompanied you the whole time when you snorkeling in water.

And which brand did you buy for long sleeve shirt and long pant. I bought a swimming shirt in the sport store many years ago, but the sleeve only cover up to my elbow . No long pant was sold at that time . I will get a new pair of clothes when I get home for future trip so that I will never have to worry about sun burn any more.

We finally get a welcome message showing on TV, but the name of my husband spell incorrect . I was told by my host we will get invited ( before she is on vacation). Still no invitation to attend manager 's reception party.

I do not know how good staff was trained at this Conrad , but from what I can see so far, I do not think there is 5* service here. No body has follow up with us to see how we feel so far . Some staff smiles when they see us, other staff seem not to notice we are right in front of them . I have skin rash appears on my skin due to the shampoo and gel bath provided in the room, I am asking to see if there is other kind which can be for sensitive skin and was told they will look into it and that's it. If I have known ahead of my trip, I will bring my own bath amenity with me .
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond, United Global Services
Originally Posted by vnfilm1

I need some inputs about excursion tour. Have anyone taken these tours . If so, can you please share your experience.

Did you do any snorkeling in deserted island trip . Is it easy to do for non-swimmer person . DH worries that there is no shade and we will get heavy sun burn and I am not a good swimmer, so safety is his concerns.
In 2014, the snorkeling at the deserted island was very poor. The reef had a lot of damage, so not many fish at all. But still fun to explore for a few minutes. For sunshade, they put up a tent for you, I believe it was a 12foot x 12foot. And they also gave us chairs.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: AA EP/4MM, DL GM/1MM, HH ♦, Bonvoy LT PLT, Hyatt Globalist, AMEX Bus Plt
Originally Posted by Traveler Dave

Thank you providing a excellent example of what I was talking about in my previous post. With attitudes like that it is no wonder they “force” a 10% gratuity on everything.

TD
I don't believe it is an attitude. More of a cultural difference. The culture of the Maldives and most of the guests is not the same as ours. In addition the closer to a luxury 5 star resort the less likely a tip is required or expected.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:08 am

Thanks for good tip. Did you have a guide accompanied you the whole time when you snorkeling in water.

And which brand did you buy for long sleeve shirt and long pant. I bought a swimming shirt in the sport store many years ago, but the sleeve only cover up to my elbow . No long pant was sold at that time . I will get a new pair of clothes when I get home for future trip so that I will never have to worry about sun burn any more.

We finally get a welcome message showing on TV, but the name of my husband spell incorrect . I was told by my host we will get invited ( before she is on vacation). Still no invitation to attend manager 's reception party.

I do not know how good staff was trained at this Conrad , but from what I can see so far, I do not think there is 5* service here. No body has follow up with us to see how we feel so far . Some staff smiles when they see us, other staff seem not to notice we are right in front of them . I have skin rash appears on my skin due to the shampoo and gel bath provided in the room, I am asking to see if there is other kind which can be for sensitive skin and was told they will look into it and that's it. If I have known ahead of my trip, I will bring my own bath amenity with me .
i believe there is a lifeguard on watch at the beach area (probably 200s beach villa area)

i have to admit sadly, the general level of service (excluding housekeeping and groundskeeping) i have encountered on this property has been spotty and inconsistent. our butler is pretty much invisible and mostly provided lip service, and we had to chase him for basic info like seaplane departure time as we were not informed abt it in any way (tv, or printed letter, or email) the night before checkout. i have def had received better service elsewhere but do realized that experience can vary a lot --- for example, i wouldnt be surprised if there is another guest who would claimed that the service they received is poor even though i previously had a good experience at that said property. t takes an entire team with good morale to make it work smoothly all the time and a few rotten apples or several mediocre events can spoil the experience.

the newly renovated deluxe beach villa is nice - several nice touches include outdoor + indoor shower, japanese style toilet seats, marble floor, etc.

Last edited by gnomey; Jan 22, 2019 at 10:14 am
Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Originally Posted by pineapple_09
Has anybody had breakfast at Ithaa? I saw on the wiki it’s now an option. We’ve had dinner there - lunch seems to be way too hot in there (from what I’ve read) - is breakfast a better option? I want our little one to experience it so which would be the more kid friendly option?
They didn't offer that when I was there 2 weeks ago, cocktail, lunch and dinner.

Just check in at a return guest yesterday. Stay in water villa room. No wine bottle, fruit plate or chocolate or welcome card in the room . Not sure if it is a new policy and no longer offer to diamond return guest, should I ask for them. Not sure who I will bring this subject with .
Conrad personnel who welcome us does not mentioned anything about Manager's Cocktail Reception either. Just wonder if I should mention it to my host that I am interested to see if I will get an invitation to attend.
My Conrad host said that she will be on vacation during my stay , starting tomorrow and only returns to work on the day I fly home. So, if I need any arrangement for dinner or excursion booking during my stay, I just talk to front desk to do the booking myself. Does anyone have the host change in middle of your stay. And how you deal with it.
Please advise and thank you
I got the fruit plate, chocolate, welcome card and the Rose sparkling wine 2 weeks ago as a Diamond member.

Originally Posted by pineapple_09
How is the bug / mosquito situation there now? I assume they still spray the islands to keep them to a minimum?
I didn't see a single mosquito during my stay, but a couple of big bats flying back and fort from the main island to the small island

During my stay the tide was low and windy on the big island, but I was able to see a couple of 3 and 4 ft reef sharks. The lifeguard was very nice, offering towels and loungers that were not occupied by the beach bungalow guests during their stays.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by brandonpkt
Does anyone know if there is an access point to get in the water from the walkway by the Retreat Water Villas / Mandhoo in order to snorkel in that vicinity?

IIRC, if one does NOT have a villa in that section, then the only way would be to swim from the beach nearest Mandhoo. I didn’t remember seeing any other public access point from that long stretch of decking that leads to villa 421 when I was last there as a guest.

Thanks for the help!
There is no access point. You have to swim from the northernmost tip of the island.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:15 pm

Yes, our guide was in the water with us the whole time. He knew a beautiful spots and took us there.

I ordered my swim shirts and pants from Amazon. I normally shop on the internet. You can read reviews before ordering them. I had to order several times to get the size that fits me. Luckily it is a free return.

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

We stayed at Conrad Rangali from Jan 12-20. 5 days @ Beach Villa and 3 days @ Water Villa. It was windy and strong current for all 8 days. We saw a lot of fish at Mandhoo restaurant during the feeding time at 1:30 p.m. We also saw several rays at Mandhoo. When we walked back to our Water Villa, we spotted a black ray swimming along at Quiet Zone. It was another wonderful trip. Hope yours is too.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 2:16 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
Originally Posted by brandonpkt

Good article, thanks for posting. We go for long snorkels (in the Maldives and Carribean), although we are young / healthy / strong swimmers we always wear a life vest for safety reasons. We even bring our own vests, fins and masks whenever we go on a snorkel holiday as it ensures comfortable / quality gear. Be safe everyone!
Originally Posted by gnomey
can confirm the wind and current are extremely strong right now.
as such, visibility underwater is not ideal.
was struggling most of the time. and felt like drowning myself when i went out on the whale shark excursion last week.
the waves were high and water were seeping into the mask most of the time.

at the resort, the water is rough around the big island area
but it's still calm and very shallow (during low tide) at the Superior WV in the small island area
so maybe keep to the snorkeling area where you can stand if you are not a strong swimmer.

We have completed 8 of 15 nights. While there was one day where the wind was quite strong stirring up the sand almost every other day has been fantastic. We initially had five nights in the deluxe beach villa with 10 nights in the water villa. After being moved to the water villa and not liking it at all we approached the manager and he kindly moved us back to our deluxe beach villa. We go snorkeling every day from the deluxe beach villas in the 200s to the house reef. Some days we go off the left and some days we go off to the right. Just today we saw an octopus during our snorkel. We generally go for one and a half to two hours. The snorkeling is quite easy. The waves are constantly pushing you back towards the island. Therefore if you get tired all you have to do is relax and the current will bring you back to the beach. We prefer to snorkel out to the drop off. If you see the large ball buoy that is about where the drop off is. If you snorkel along the drop off there will be large clouds a little miniature minnows and fish. There will be larger schools of red snapper and other bigger fish. Occasionally you’ll see sharks. We saw a giant stingray buried in the sand in about 8 foot of water. I like to dive down to the 20-30 feet area as there is stuff you can’t see from the surface. The lifeguard pays attention to you if you go out to snorkel. He notices when you’re going out. In fact he has proactively asked us if we are going to go out and struggle again. Will post photos later.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 2:21 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC
Originally Posted by gnomey
the newly renovated deluxe beach villa is nice - several nice touches include outdoor + indoor shower, japanese style toilet seats, marble floor, etc.
Pics please! Sunrise DBV or sunset DBV?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.