Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Can Someone Else Use My Hilton Honors Number So That I Can Get Points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can Someone Else Use My Hilton Honors Number So That I Can Get Points?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2006, 4:55 am

Programs: CX DM
redeeming a room for someone else

i've redeemed a room at the Conrad BKK, under my name, and i've put down my companion's name in the comments. now it looks like i won't be able to make it (at best, i can only arrive one day later). can my friend, with the confirmation email etc., check into the room without me being present ?

sorry, this is a newbie question, but hhonors seems to be down right now and i don't remmeber reading about this in their faq.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 5:06 am
In Memoriam

I have done this in the past without incident..... but I call the hotel myself after the reservation is made to let them know what is going on.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Your companion will need the cert #. I'm pretty sure everything else falls into place with that.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 7:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I'd send them with copies of the confirmation and the reward cert. I redeemed an award for my parents that they were able to use without a problem. You might want to see if they can change the name on the reward cert to your companion's name.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 8:58 am

Location: Franklin, TN HHonors Diamond, Worldperks Platinum, Priority Club Platinum
Email the hotel and let them know what's going on. When I have done this in the past with the wife, it has been no problem. Again, make sure they have the rewards cert, perhaps let them have your Hhonors card, just in case. Most of the time, the people who check you in don't ask for it.

Good luck.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 3:21 am

Programs: Finnair Platinum; Intercontinental Ambassador
Can Someone Else Use My Hilton HHonors Number So That I Can Get Points?

Hi,

I recently started to look into using HHonors thanks to Conrad. A quick question. Now that my gf has to stay a week in Hilton in Spain, can she use my number for HHonors and I will get the points or does she have to register for her own?
Because she doesn't travel that much, it would be nice to get this points accumulated to my account. Alternatively - if she has to get her own - does HHonors have a transfer points mechanism.

Thanks a lot.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 5:23 am

Technically,she needs to register for her own account.
If it weren't international,I'd say that it might be possible for you to book the room under your name and account number. Call the hotel and tell them that she will be checking in for you and expect that to possibly work.
I know spouses have done similar things here in the USA.
Since the hotel will make a copy of passports, I think this complicates this process for you.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by jabez

Call the hotel and tell them that she will be checking in for you and expect that to possibly work.
... but bear in mind that (unlike in the USA) almost all European hotels charge a significantly HIGHER rate for double occupancy. You should check this out before talking to the hotel.

The situation is a little different with spouses - who stay free at Hiltons.

The passports can be tricky in this regard
Old Sep 28, 2007, 12:40 pm

Programs: FD silver, PC plat. royal ambassador, SPG gold, HH gold, MR silver
Checking in won't be a problem, the tricky part will be checking out. The points go to the person who's name is on the credit card used at check-out. Best thing would be to book an advance purchase rate, book a room for 2, let your gf (which is considered a spouse inmost European countries) and use cash for incidentals. Make sure that your gf has her own account aswell, just in case. She can still transfer her points to your account although a fee will be charged for transfers.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 2:39 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by paul_nl
Checking in won't be a problem, the tricky part will be checking out. The points go to the person who's name is on the credit card used at check-out.
My wife uses her CC and I still get the points.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 2:54 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
We do not experience the points going to the person on the credit card at all. It's never been an issue.

Don't know internationally, but probably 90% of the time you can add her name to the reservation in your name here in the states and not have a problem. More frequently though recently, when my wife has checked in and the reservation was in my name with her in the comments section, they have asked that I swing by the desk when I get there to show I was there so I could get the points.

They no longer offer the mutual accounts where you can both earn miles to the same account.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by paul_nl
Checking in won't be a problem, the tricky part will be checking out. The points go to the person who's name is on the credit card used at check-out.
No, they don't.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 10:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold 1MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Five Star
Twice spouse has stayed in Singapore and we received credit. The first time they were reluctant to provide the Gold benefits--which she understood, She used the credit card with her name on it.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 1:11 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
This issue can have very varied results.

I know of cases where the booking was guaranteed with the account holder's credit card in an online booking, with the second person added, where the hotel had no problem - particularly if an express checkin / checkout were requested.

Where this may work significantly less well is when one is required to show a passport (not uncommon out of the USA) or other positive identification on arrival, and the account holder never shows and presents a passport / id. It's a classic "YMMV" situation, but technically, it's not supposed to happen.

If one has a mutual fund account, it of course will work - but there are, AFAIK, only two ways to have a mutual fund account: have an old mutual fund account that is "grandfathered" in, or to have an HGVC membership with two names on the membership (a number of memberships render a lifetime status with the possibility of establishing a mutual fund, depending on the level one buys in at and the involvement of two people on the purchase documents.) The mutual fund account used to require the people involved be married - I don't know if the HGVC option requires that - and show a marriage document.
Old Oct 6, 2007, 12:02 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond/3MM; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Hertz PC
About 8 or 9 years ago, our company travel agent booked a young lady in my department into a Hilton hotel using my HHonors Diamond number. About a week later, I noticed that the name had been changed on my account to her name. When I called to get it changed back, HHonors was extremely skeptical of my claim. A guy named Larry Roberts, at HHonors, made me reveal a considerable amount of personal information and fax a copy of my Diamond card to him to prove that it was my account. In the end, I got a note of apology from Stacy Strickland.

I suspect that they've improved the security over the past few years with the other website "enhancements," but I'm not sure that I'd risk it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.