Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

GLON Hilton Honors Award Questions and Information: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GLON Hilton Honors Award Questions and Information: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2001, 2:27 am

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
Just depends, I tried to do that at the Hilton Osaka last month and they said that my first night (paid on the exec floor) was ok, but I'd have to move the 2nd and 3rd nights coz they were completely booked - no executive floor comp. Then told me no lounge access either coz it was too small and they were booked. I later found out that they did have rooms available on the web site for my award stay nights (but didnt know if on-line is "real time", which it basically is) so I didn't press. Now I know better and will press accordingly if not upgraded and executive floor rooms show available on the web site.
Old Jan 30, 2002, 3:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; National Emerald Exec Elite
Adivce on GLON stays in South Florida and San Diego

I just booked two GLON awards each at two hotels with incredible ease. Did I choose the right hotels for a family of 6?

March - Hilton Singer Island
July - Hilton Torrey Pines (La Jolla)

Priority would be access to beach, room size, upgrade availability, free breakfast.

I would love alternate suggestions for Hotels in the general area of each.

Thanks
Old Jan 30, 2002, 4:25 pm
Original Member

Location: In protest of Flyertalk's uncalledfor censoring of my point of view, I cancelled my InsideFlyer subscription. So long, and thanks for everything.
My family and I stayed at the Embassy Suites LaJola on a GLON last summer.

As a diamond, we got a 2 bedroom suite, seperate living and dining areas (a double room). The free breakfasts for all were full cooked to order hot breakfasts. They had a few laundry rooms that made packing easier, and generally good service.

The drive to the beaches was about 10 minutes.

We may go back again this year.
Old Jan 30, 2002, 5:25 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The TP Hilton is a gorgeous property, formerly a Sheraton, adjacent to the TP gold course. I've only been there for a bar mitzvah. The public rooms, views and service are wonderful. Have never been in the guest rooms.
Old Jan 30, 2002, 8:03 pm

NJDavid were you able to confirm the upgrade to 2 bedroom before arrival?

I woould much rather use points for one 2 bedroom room, than the 200,000 I'm now using for two seperate rooms.
Old Jan 31, 2002, 3:06 am
Original Member

Location: In protest of Flyertalk's uncalledfor censoring of my point of view, I cancelled my InsideFlyer subscription. So long, and thanks for everything.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FarAway:
NJDavid were you able to confirm the upgrade to 2 bedroom before arrival?

I woould much rather use points for one 2 bedroom room, than the 200,000 I'm now using for two seperate rooms.
</font>
Nope. It's always a gamble. You can check if the 2 bedroom suite (I think they have a few) is available to book for cash. If it is, then as a Diamond you would be entitled to it. But I woudn't base my vacation on it.
Old Feb 1, 2002, 7:36 pm

My family did a Point Stretcher reward (Dec 2001 Christmas week) at ES LaJolla. Nice breakfast, but Crummy snacks (chips only) at Mgr Reception. Indoor pool, outdoor hottub. $10 parking per day. Close to everything (beach/zoo/animal park, expressways)
Old Feb 2, 2002, 4:14 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum 1mm, Hilton Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Hilton Singer Island is an old Sunspree Resorts Holiday Inn. Hilton remodeled, but rooms are not large. Great beach. I have yet to be upgraded (Gold), but have always gotten the breakfast coupons. There are not a lot of of restaurants etc. in the immediate area so a car is essential.
Old Feb 3, 2002, 10:06 pm

Thanks for the input. I guess breakfast is more important than space,as we have two rooms!
Old Feb 4, 2002, 4:49 pm

Torrey pines is a 5 min drive to the beach. It is a gorgeous location on one of the world's most spectacular golf courses. It is 4 diamond. South is La Jolla Shores with a good play structure, kayaking, boogie boarding and surfing. North is Torrey pines reserve which is quieter and good hiking. The hilton mission bay(not mission valley) is more of a resort with sailboat rentals. Mission bay is calm water, not as spectacular as the Pacific crashing in. The rooms, with upgrades, are a bit larger at mission bay. They are stingy with breakfast coupons at mission bay and try to just give one per day for the card holder. Mission bay is right on the sand.

[This message has been edited by SAN man (edited 02-04-2002).]
Old Feb 4, 2002, 6:02 pm

Does the Torrey Pines give breakfast coupons? We'll have 2 rooms, both of us are gold, but the kdis aren't!
Old Feb 4, 2002, 6:17 pm

The Mission Bay resort requires the *lon award at 150,000 points.
Old Feb 5, 2002, 4:45 am

Torrey pines gave each of us breakfast coupons.
Old Feb 5, 2002, 6:20 am
Original Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FarAway:
The Mission Bay resort requires the *lon award at 150,000 points. </font>
You mean the GLONP, with the "P" for premium property.

That's why we picked the ES for a straight 100,000 GLON, and used the 50k extra for another weekend stay on the trip.
Old Apr 3, 2002, 1:33 pm

using GLON award in Europe

I am curious about how satisfied folks are with the GLON award in Europe. I am at about 70,000 HH points and am considering transfering some points to get to 100,000. I would like to know in what cities the GLON award is a good deal.

For example, there seem to be several good properties in London, so if I wanted to go to London the GLON award would work well.

Are there good properties in Paris for tourists? I am aware of the CDG Hilton but no others.

In Rome I know of the Cavalieri Hilton which has an excellent location but is on the outskirts of the city and also requires a GLONP award.

I also so a recommendation for the Noga Hilton in Cannes which sounds like a good base for exploring Southern France.

Can anyone recommend any other European properties that would be a good use for the GLON award for a tourist vacation?

Obviously, its always worth spending the points in Europe in lieu of cash but as an alternative, I wonder whether I would get more bang for my points by using them stateside as I travel here and there--I travel enough in the u.s. that I could probably use the points here to offset hotel charges at a rate of about a penny a point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.