Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near Chicago, Illinois, USA {US-IL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2014, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kiwi Flyer
Print Wikipost

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near Chicago, Illinois, USA {US-IL}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
These are just data points, as I have no inside knowledge, but I have never received an upgrade at the Hilton Chicago. I have received upgrades (as gold or diamond - cannot recall which at any given time) at the Drake, Palmer House and Waldorf. Some were award stays, some were paid stays. I have not stayed at theWit or LondonHouse. Based on the info you gave, it does not seem like the Waldorf would be worth the extra points for you. As for the other hotels, I generally prefer the Palmer House for its historic lobby and decent lounge offerings. I don't know if you were looking to use the pool during your stay, but many pools undergo maintenance or refurbishment in the winter, so check before you book if that matters to you.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 3:00 pm

First and foremost, I would NOT use points to stay in Chicago during these dates. Rates in Chicago are crazy cheap during the winter; the dates you name have many of the hotels you list pricing in the $100-$150 range. Save your points and pay cash.

That being said, these are all good hotels, just depends on what you are looking for. None of them will blow you away with Gold benefits (or Diamond, so don't feel bad ).

Personally, I would go with the Conrad, which you have not listed. It is the newest of the group, super modern, and just generally very well put together. The location is excellent, the service in my experience is very good, and it has the finishes that one would expect in a top-tier property. LondonHouse would be second by these criteria.

That being said - IF you are someone who appreciates history/architecture and likes an "Old Chicago" feel, then I would go with Palmer House or Drake. Two very unique properties that have a vibe that is all their own.
flockavelliFT and VBoogie like this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
+1 on The Conrad
Old Dec 14, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum, HHonors Diamond
+2 on the Conrad. Excellent location, service is top notch, facilities are excellent.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 11:03 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I've stayed at the Chicago Hilton, Palmer House, and the Conrad. The Palmer House is certainly the most distinctive, and absolutely has the best access to ransit. The other two are pretty generic if you ask me (although the Chicago Hilton does have those rooms with 2 bathrooms . . . .) I'd always choose the Palmer House because the location is so convenient for getting around. But if you don't like using transit, the location might not make much difference (it is also in walking distance of the Art Institue, if that interests you).
Old Dec 16, 2018, 12:00 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

I have stayed at Palmer House, LondonHouse, and Waldorf. Overall favorite was LondonHouse (was worth it to go for the Vista Room).

For a basic stay/transport Palmer House was good (no upgrade as Gold, cash stay). I went to the Art Institute and saw the Chicago Symphony Orchestra.

I upgraded to a Vista Room at LondonHouse (upgraded to higher floor as Gold) and the view was memorable. I used this as a launching point the day I took the Architecture Boat Tour. Also had a great view from the rooftop (went up early morning, when they used to have breakfast at the restaurant upstairs).

Waldorf, I booked the lowest level on points and was upgraded to a suit with fireplace. Was really nice and convenient to go over to the Signature Room.

Don't know if this would impact your decision, but I looked at view flexible dates, and it looks like after March, the prices for LondonHouse are going up considerably.

Last edited by 77Pat; Dec 16, 2018 at 12:08 pm
Old Dec 16, 2018, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by 77Pat
I have stayed at Palmer House, LondonHouse, and Waldorf. Overall favorite was LondonHouse (was worth it to go for the Vista Room).

For a basic stay/transport Palmer House was good (no upgrade as Gold, cash stay). I went to the Art Institute and saw the Chicago Symphony Orchestra.

I upgraded to a Vista Room at LondonHouse (upgraded to higher floor as Gold) and the view was memorable. I used this as a launching point the day I took the Architecture Boat Tour. Also had a great view from the rooftop (went up early morning, when they used to have breakfast at the restaurant upstairs).

Waldorf, I booked the lowest level on points and was upgraded to a suit with fireplace. Was really nice and convenient to go over to the Signature Room.

Don't know if this would impact your decision, but I looked at view flexible dates, and it looks like after March, the prices for LondonHouse are going up considerably.
Stayed at all fo the higher end properties and I still think Conrad is the best
Old Dec 16, 2018, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by hotturnip
I've stayed at the Chicago Hilton, Palmer House, and the Conrad. The Palmer House is certainly the most distinctive, and absolutely has the best access to ransit. The other two are pretty generic if you ask me
Are you talking about the old Conrad perchance? Generic is not how I would describe the new property.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Are you talking about the old Conrad perchance? Generic is not how I would describe the new property.
I agree 100%. Conrad is an awesome and modern hotel. The Palmer House has history and has been updated but rooms are SMALL unless you upgrade. If you stay ht Conrad, much less need for "transit" as well as you are closer to many of the nicer parts of Michigan Avenue etc
Old Dec 25, 2018, 12:39 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

We are looking into a trip to Chicago over MLK weekend. I know Chicago in January, but its an easy quick weekend trip from PIT without feeling like a half day is wasted each way from traveling.

We will mainly be there to check out some restaurants, navy pier (the beach installation has me intriguied), hit up Millennium park, and simply enjoy being somewhere away from PIT. A hotel with easy access to the metro is a plus as well as ease of walking to key sights in the downtown area. Solid breakfast offering for elites and a reasonably well maintained/fresh room that isn’t cramped or tattered.

I have been looking at the Palmer House, Drake, HGI, Conrad, etc. I was leaning towards to the Conrad because of the current AMEX Offer ($350+/$70 back) and the Conrad is offering a holiday special ($50/night F+B credit).

However, in reading the reviews here in the dedicated thread for the Conrad has me a little concerned about this particular Conrad not exactly living up to its brand reputation. I have enjoyed my stay at the Conrad in Beijing and Bali, does the one in Chicago deliver the same level of experience or should I have lower expectations?
Old Dec 27, 2018, 8:04 am

Back to advantages of the Hilton Magnificent Mile Suites, it is great for families or anybody else who likes 2 room suites with sofas and kitchenettes. I like that it is not huge like Hilton Chicago or Palmer House, and I have always gotten upgraded to a lake view. There’s a good size indoor rooftop pool and just a short block away a small outdoor playground with swings, etc. Across the street is a basement level market with milk, fruit, yogurt, beer, etc. It is in a quieter upscale area yet close to a lot of good stuff. John Hancock across the street, Magnificent Mile just around the corner, also Oak Street shopping and Oak Street Beach, Contemporary Art Museum, lots of restaurants. The breakfast over the years has ranged from a full breakfast in the restaurant to a coupon for the in house coffee and snack stand. I don’t care much about breakfast for myself since I only want coffee and a good croissant, but I appreciate a big free spread for filling up teenage boys.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by golfingboy
We are looking into a trip to Chicago over MLK weekend. I know Chicago in January, but its an easy quick weekend trip from PIT without feeling like a half day is wasted each way from traveling.

We will mainly be there to check out some restaurants, navy pier (the beach installation has me intriguied), hit up Millennium park, and simply enjoy being somewhere away from PIT. A hotel with easy access to the metro is a plus as well as ease of walking to key sights in the downtown area. Solid breakfast offering for elites and a reasonably well maintained/fresh room that isn’t cramped or tattered.

I have been looking at the Palmer House, Drake, HGI, Conrad, etc. I was leaning towards to the Conrad because of the current AMEX Offer ($350+/$70 back) and the Conrad is offering a holiday special ($50/night F+B credit).

However, in reading the reviews here in the dedicated thread for the Conrad has me a little concerned about this particular Conrad not exactly living up to its brand reputation. I have enjoyed my stay at the Conrad in Beijing and Bali, does the one in Chicago deliver the same level of experience or should I have lower expectations?
The Chicago Conrad (like other US Conrads) will not measure up to the Asian Conrads. The Chicago Conrad is still a nice hotel that I rank below the WA but above the others you mentioned.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
The Chicago Conrad (like other US Conrads) will not measure up to the Asian Conrads. The Chicago Conrad is still a nice hotel that I rank below the WA but above the others you mentioned.
No US hotel will measure up to that brand experience, not the Conrad, and certainly not the WA. The level of service and loyalty rewards seen elsewhere in the world is simply nonexistent in the US. That being said, the Conrad is the newest property and I personally find the physical space to be much nicer than the WA, which in my opinion is beginning to feel dated (not to speak of the oddball location and lack of elite benefits).
Old Jan 5, 2019, 5:38 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Can anybody provide an update on Diamond benefits (upgrades + breakfast) at LondonHouse?

I'm in Chicago for 10 days next month and months ago decided to split the stay between the Hilton Chicago and Palomar Chicago to get points for both chains as well as experiencing neighbourhoods on both sides of the river (I've never been to Chicago before). Both of these were booked as flexi rates because I know prices drop in Winter, and that's exactly what is now happening.

Looking at prices now both the Conrad + LondonHouse rates are now way down to around the $110 per night mark having both been up around $200 months ago, so I'm temped to switch the Hilton stay to LondonHouse, or possibly the Conrad if people think it's a better hotel (but opinions seem to be a little mixed from what I've read on here). I am still keen to keep the Palomar stay as that certainly seems to be a fairly nice hotel as well and it's nice to mix things up a little during a long stay.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
I have one night in Chicago this May, and plan to take in an evening game at Wrigley.

I've been looking at the Drake, Palmer House and Conrad on points- no rooms available at London House or WA.

Which one would give me easiest connections to Wrigley and ORD?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.