Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near Chicago, Illinois, USA {US-IL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2014, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kiwi Flyer
Print Wikipost

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near Chicago, Illinois, USA {US-IL}

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2016, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
What is the chance to get upgraded as diamond at Waldorf Astoria Chicago? What if my friend checks in before I arrive, will my diamond benefit will apply?
Did you have to ask this twice? See the WA Chicago thread.
Old May 31, 2016, 9:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Thumbs-up to the Homewood Suites at 40 E. Grand. Rooms appear to have been recently renovated and were quite nice. $143/nt. for the 3-day weekend was well worth it, IMHO. We received a nice corner unit with lots of windows. (Selected at OLCI...I don't believe this was an upgrade per se.)

Breakfast was busy, but not unmanageable. The food was well-stocked and replenished often. They have ample seating for breakfast...lots of tables in a second room that people don't seem to notice even when the main area is close to 100% full.

Indoor pool on the roof was nice and uncrowded.

If I have any (really minor!) complaints at all, it's that 2 elevators aren't really enough to serve this large of a hotel...and our Wifi would occasionally drop for no reason. But overall, it was a very good stay. We'd go back. It's a block away from the HGI, which we also like. (I like both of these properties more than most of the FS Hiltons in town. )
Old May 31, 2016, 12:54 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, CCarlson Silver
Originally Posted by pinniped
If I have any (really minor!) complaints at all, it's that 2 elevators aren't really enough to serve this large of a hotel...and our Wifi would occasionally drop for no reason. But overall, it was a very good stay. We'd go back. It's a block away from the HGI, which we also like. (I like both of these properties more than most of the FS Hiltons in town. )
FWIW, I was with family staying at the HGI nearby for the weekend, and it was a very good stay (I used OLCI to get a good corner room with a decent view and sufficiently high up as well) as the staff did quite well throughout (late checkout, fixing a mini fridge hiccup, and good recognition of Diamond status - just a lot of little things adding up). The Weber Grill breakfast buffet was quite good for a HGI breakfast, and the location for getting around was great.

I'll post a more in-depth item on my stay on the hotel thread.

WM
Old Aug 15, 2016, 7:27 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
A bit far from Chicago, but here's a review for the Hampton Inn - Yorkville, IL which is in the Aurora area:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27070131-post1.html
Old Aug 15, 2016, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Anyone here stayed at the new HGI on Wacker yet?
Old Aug 27, 2016, 9:46 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, HH Diamond, Accor Platinum
Magnificent Mile: Hilton Chicago Suites vs Embassy Suites

Diamond member using points to stay over Thanksgiving and wondering if much difference between these two? Embassy is 10,000 extra points a night but that is fine if preferred. Locations both seem good and reviews are positive so wondering if any key differences or one recommended over the other? Thanks.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dcrose
Diamond member using points to stay over Thanksgiving and wondering if much difference between these two? Embassy is 10,000 extra points a night but that is fine if preferred. Locations both seem good and reviews are positive so wondering if any key differences or one recommended over the other? Thanks.
Which ES are you considering? Where do you want to be?

The Hilton Mag Mile Suites is at the north end of the Magnificent Mile while both ESs are toward the south end nearer to the Chicago River. The Hilton has a lounge while the each ES will have breakfast and a manager's reception in the evening. The Hilton will be quieter while the ESs may have some families although I don't know if this will be different over thanksgiving. Personally I would stay at the Hilton if the choice was only between these. Of course, I would also consider the Drake, LondonHouse, and Palmer House.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 6:05 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, HH Diamond, Accor Platinum
I haven't been to the area in a long time but wanted to be central to the Magnificent Mile main shopping area since the weather may be unpredictable in late Nov. Looking at the ES at 501 N Columbus Drive. Unfortunately, too many points needed for the other hotels you mentioned. Thanks for your comments.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 7:04 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
The Hilton has a lounge while the each ES will have breakfast and a manager's reception in the evening.
I have not been to either Chicago Embassy Suites in years, but during those years, other Embassy Suites have had marked declines in the quality of their managers' receptions. Do you know what these two have offered recently?

Of course, I would also consider the Drake, LondonHouse, and Palmer House.
Palmer House got the nod for the next stay. I'm not sure if I stayed there in the early 70s, but not since.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 11:33 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SWA A-List, AA Platinum
If you value a decent breakfast and a room that is newer then skip Palmer house and go with the HGI. Palmer house the "free bfast in the Lockwood restaurant" was long lines and food not worth eating. Also the rooms are very tired and need a good remodeling. Only good think about the Palmer was it is right outside the Red Line entrance, and a block from Blue Line entrance if you are going to be using them alot.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dcrose
I haven't been to the area in a long time but wanted to be central to the Magnificent Mile main shopping area since the weather may be unpredictable in late Nov. Looking at the ES at 501 N Columbus Drive. Unfortunately, too many points needed for the other hotels you mentioned. Thanks for your comments.
That is the ES Chicago Downtown Magnificent Mile. That is at the lower end of the Mag Mile closer to the Chicago River and the Tribune Building.

Originally Posted by serpens
I have not been to either Chicago Embassy Suites in years, but during those years, other Embassy Suites have had marked declines in the quality of their managers' receptions. Do you know what these two have offered recently?

Palmer House got the nod for the next stay. I'm not sure if I stayed there in the early 70s, but not since.
It depends upon where you want to be. I've stayed at both Embassy Suites in the last year but have not actually attended the manager's receptions of either (preferring to go elsewhere). I remember receiving drink coupons and I remember the area being rather crowded as I left in the evening. I would not expect much more than a couple of draft beers or well drinks. In the summer and during certain holiday periods I would probably avoid the ESs due to the number of families.

Originally Posted by swimdallas
If you value a decent breakfast and a room that is newer then skip Palmer house and go with the HGI. Palmer house the "free bfast in the Lockwood restaurant" was long lines and food not worth eating. Also the rooms are very tired and need a good remodeling. Only good think about the Palmer was it is right outside the Red Line entrance, and a block from Blue Line entrance if you are going to be using them alot.
I believe the Lockwood option is for Golds now. The OP is a Diamond and Diamonds get to access the lounge. The lounge is no longer as crowded as it used to be. Certain floors of the Palmer House have been remodeled as they work their way through the remodeling of the entire hotel.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by swimdallas
Palmer house is pretty generous with upgrades as long as they are available. I have gotten some nice large suite upgrades there.

The lounge situation has improved in the past couple years since they restrict it to diamonds and those on the exec floors only and the breakfast has a couple hot dishes. I was there earlier this month and the lounge was really crowded one morning during breakfast (the hotel was full and appeared to be a lot of families in the lounge) and a manager was giving any diamonds who were solo or with only one guest a voucher for two full breakfast buffets at Lockwoods which was one of the better Hilton breakfast I've had in a long time, lots of hot food choices.

Same with the Chicago Hilton memorial day weekend. Lounge was really overcrowded (they give all gold's access) and the lounge was giving diamonds a full breakfast buffet voucher for the restaurant.

I like the Buffet at the HGI at Weber's but would rather have the lounge at Palmer House especially if I can get the full breakfast buffet voucher
Old Nov 2, 2016, 5:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite; Hilton Diamond
Where to stay? Chicago

What is a good area (or specific hotel) to stay in the downtown Chicago area? It will be a coworker and myself. We enjoy having food, bars, and entertainment near by.

Thanks!
Old Nov 2, 2016, 10:23 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Chicago

There are a number of good Hilton family choices--all of the following are near Magnificent Mile--shopping, food, bars. All are various degrees of fine.

Homewood Suites 40 East Grand

Embassy Suites 600 North State Street

Homewood Suites 152 E Huron St

Doubletree 300 E. Ohio Street

Hilton Chicago/Magnificent Mile Suites 198 E Delaware

The Drake 140 East Walton
Old Nov 2, 2016, 10:49 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
Try the new Conrad!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.