Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:19 pm

March 2019

Last edited by Kecrowl; Mar 27, 2019 at 10:04 am Reason: Date
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by Kecrowl
I am here now. I am Diamond thanks to the aspire card. I booked 5 nights on pts and a 6th night using the aspire weekend night certificate. I called two days before check in and confirmed an upgrade from a Terrace King to a Garden 2 Queens. I don't know if it is a true upgrade but we needed the second bed so I was happy. I am guessing that Terrace is ground level and Garden is second level. I don't see that there are any terrible views on this property and I am happy with a view of fruit trees from the second level. Check in was a little bit of a mess as when we arrived at 7 PM our room wasn't ready yet. They gave me a $150 resort credit and room was ready within a half hour. The breakfast is a little confusing but I have it figured out now. Basically Hilton Honors get $20 off for up to 2 people to apply to either continental brealeast or the full buffet. So adults can can continental breakfast for free (plate of fruit, 2 pastries and a yogurt parfait) or pay $20 for the full buffet. Kids buffet is under $20 so a kid is free to get the full buffet. I've been taking my daughter to breakfast, she gets the buffet and I get continental. Of course I eat her discarded buffet items and pack up a good portion of my continental breakfast to bring back to my husband (enjoying the time to sleep in). Pool and beach are super crowded as it is spring break. I refuse to line up at 7 am to reserve a chair so instead just drop my bags anywhere while we swim and relax on our room's lanai when not swimming. Parking is a racket - they require valet parking for $35 per night. Instead we park a mile south on street for free (just past the Fairmont) and walk the beautiful beach boardwalk back to the hotel. Overall this place is a dream for my 8 year old kid as the pool is killer. If it was just my husband and I we would much prefer the calmer Fairmont or the 4 seasons.
Where exactly do you park? I hate the idea of paying for parking but had read there aren’t any other options. Can you do check in without doing valet? I’m checking in on Friday and would love to avoid the parking charge!
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:33 pm

If you're coming from the north, go south of the hotel one mile on Wailea Alanui Drive (past 4 seasons and past Fairmont) then turn right or go west on Kaukahi Street. There is street parking right away. You can then walk through the Fairmont out to the beach walk to get you back to hotel. My husband dropped us off with luggage when we checked in.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by Ladybugmama

Where exactly do you park? I hate the idea of paying for parking but had read there aren’t any other options. Can you do check in without doing valet? I’m checking in on Friday and would love to avoid the parking charge!
I believe it's the street right past the Fairmont. You keep heading south and make a right, when the road in front of the GW turns from two lanes into one.

For check-in, you can drop off passengers (and luggage) at the entrance, but of course then the driver will have to walk back all on him/herself. Same goes for check-out. It is almost a mile though, so unless the plan is to never leave the hotel between check-in and check-out, I'd suggest just pay the $35. Personally I hate paying for parking as well, but felt it's too much trouble to avoid it here.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by BlueZebra
The ones with the TVs are the family cabanas, seat about 8, and you get a ton more stuff than the smaller cabanas. If you watch the stuff they do and bring for the family cabanas, I think you might have a different opinion.
i think the cabanas with the tv cost more compared to the smaller cabanas
i agree that it’s expensive. We would save money by staying elsewhere.
I am super excited for this trip and we leave in 9 days. Big yay!

btw we don’t travel enough to have status, but our basic room has a mini fridge and k/cup coffee machine which is perfectly adequate for me. I still enjoy the cafe. Sometimes we walk or drive into Wailea / Kihei - I love Paia fish market and monkey pod and the cafe near monkey pod.

I hope that everyone is enjoying their visit now.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 4:19 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by ezak
I believe it's the street right past the Fairmont. You keep heading south and make a right, when the road in front of the GW turns from two lanes into one.

For check-in, you can drop off passengers (and luggage) at the entrance, but of course then the driver will have to walk back all on him/herself. Same goes for check-out. It is almost a mile though, so unless the plan is to never leave the hotel between check-in and check-out, I'd suggest just pay the $35. Personally I hate paying for parking as well, but felt it's too much trouble to avoid it here.
If the plan is to never leave the property don't rent a car.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 5:46 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by gaobest

i think the cabanas with the tv cost more compared to the smaller cabanas
i agree that it’s expensive. We would save money by staying elsewhere.
I am super excited for this trip and we leave in 9 days. Big yay!

btw we don’t travel enough to have status, but our basic room has a mini fridge and k/cup coffee machine which is perfectly adequate for me. I still enjoy the cafe. Sometimes we walk or drive into Wailea / Kihei - I love Paia fish market and monkey pod and the cafe near monkey pod.

I hope that everyone is enjoying their visit now.
Of course the ones with the TVs cost more. They are about 3 times the size of the smaller cabanas, they are for 6 or 8 people, and come with a lot more stuff.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 7:34 am

Stayed on points last weekend and charged a scuba boat trip (booked in advance via concierge) to the room, was able to double-dip the 100 off 500 Amex offer and the 250 resort credit as well.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 8:12 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by glynot
Stayed on points last weekend and charged a scuba boat trip (booked in advance via concierge) to the room, was able to double-dip the 100 off 500 Amex offer and the 250 resort credit as well.
Not bad. I saw a new post at the beginning of the month and thought the breakfast benefit had changed again.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 10:58 am

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
Originally Posted by glynot
Evil, but in a good way.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Not bad. I saw a new post at the beginning of the month and thought the breakfast benefit had changed again.
It's now only in the dining room, continental breakfast or upgrade to full buffet for $20
Old Apr 11, 2019, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I love this place but cannot eat in the dining room because too many birds are able to run wild in the buffet. I don’t want to see this so up close and personal. I prefer cafe Kula where I can’t see wandering birds with the food.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does one earn better points or money by charging things (like Cafe Kula or Volcano Bar) to the room or just paying with a credit card on the spot? Or is it a wash?
the cabana service now allows orders from Bistro Molokini, which has a much better menu than the Volcano Bar

i probably got too much chlorine in my eyes because I’m exhausted. Or it was that fried chicken sandwich ... I’m tired!

omg. I love this place. Just can’t get enough!!!
Old Apr 13, 2019, 5:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by gaobest
Does one earn better points or money by charging things (like Cafe Kula or Volcano Bar) to the room or just paying with a credit card on the spot? Or is it a wash?
the cabana service now allows orders from Bistro Molokini, which has a much better menu than the Volcano Bar

i probably got too much chlorine in my eyes because I’m exhausted. Or it was that fried chicken sandwich ... I’m tired!

omg. I love this place. Just can’t get enough!!!
It depends what credit card you have. If you have the Aspire card, which gives 14x Hiltons and 7x restaurants, why would you take a chance? Charge everything to your room for a guaranteed 14x.

But if you have a card that gives more for restaurants than hotels, I'd probably do that. And hope that the restaurants come out as restaurants.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 5:57 pm

I am looking at staying here and have some questions. I have the aspire card, and am planning on paying 4 nights points and one night free.

On my card I also have 2 offers from amex:
1) 100 off 500 at waldorf astoria
2) 200 off 1000 at Hilton Brands in Hawaii (not sure if WA counts as a "Hilton Brand"?)

If I spend 1000 would I qualify for both?

Also, does the Aspire $100 incidental credit apply on points stays?

Thanks!

Edit: the terms of the Hilton Brands 200 off 1000:

"Get a one-time $200 statement credit by using your enrolled Card to spend $1,000+ on room rate and room charges, when you pay for your stay with Hilton brand hotels in Hawaii from 2/25/19 - 6/30/2019. Book direct with Hilton. See terms for exclusions.

Must first add offer to Card and then use same Card to redeem. Only U.S.-issued American Express® Cards are eligible. Limit 1 enrolled Card per Card Member across all American Express offer channels. Your enrollment of an eligible American Express Card for this offer extends only to that Card. Offer valid only at Hilton brand hotels in the state of Hawaii. Reservations must be made online at hilton dot com, via the Hilton Honors App or by calling 1-800-445-8667. Offer does not apply to advance purchase rates, including Advance Purchase, Save Now & Pay and Non-refundable rates. Excludes gift card purchases."

Last edited by Boringbarry; Apr 13, 2019 at 6:15 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.