FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Hilton Tokyo Narita Airport {JPN} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/562834-hilton-tokyo-narita-airport-jpn.html)

Superguy Apr 23, 2005 10:39 pm

Hilton Narita review

Hey all,

I was asked to post my thoughts on the Hilton Narita after staying there. I board in 15 minutes to go home, so I'll say what I can and add more later.

I stayed there twice: one night on the way out (between continued travel thru HND) and on the way back for two nights.

Overall, I liked the place. I had never stayed at an actual Hilton before, and I understand that HN might not be the top tier for Hiltons, but I was quite happy with it.

The service was fantastic. Bellhops and front desk staff were very helpful. Having taken advantage of the CTCH promotion for gold really helped.

Stayed in a Deluxe Queen Plus room both times. First time I paid for it (well, work did), the second time I was upgraded to it. Room wasn't anything fancy, but it was clean and well kept. Bathroom looked a little old.

I liked the fact that they had a LAN connection in the room. It cost about 1800 yen and worked pretty well. Much cheaper and more reliable than the wireless I had in Germany. I borrowed a 3 prong adapater for my laptop for free at the front desk. My only gripe with the laptop is that the LAN connection should have been placed closer to the desk. Didn't like tripping over the wire everytime I had to use it, or to place my laptop on the floor.

Airport views were great. I enjoyed watching the planes come in and out of NRT. Glide path was right in front of my window, but noise was minimal.

Food ... breakfast was great. Bacon appeared to be English style ... well cooked but not crisp. Fruit on the buffet was some of the best I ever had. Very happy with breakfast. Had a light dinner at the coffee shop last night and it was good. Much cheaper than the 3600 yen pasta buffet that didn't look too appealing.

Pastries are to die for. My friend introduced me to them in northern Japan and they're some of the best I ever had. Hilton has a good bakery.

Bar ... stopped in the bar the first night and we ate there. I didn't drink, but my coworkers did. The Brit who went with us really enjoyed the liter glass of Kirin that they offered. Food was ok. They had some washed up country singer that's self-proclaimed the "King of Country." Name was John McKennon or something like that. I wasn't too impressed. He appears to have a standing gig.

Health club ... one gripe I had was that you need a swimming cap. Only 210 yen, but still a pain. My friend said it's a cultural thing that the Japanese consider hair to be unclean, so a cap is required. Pool and hot tub were very nice. Sauna was nice and toasty, but there was just too much moisture in the air that it was hard to breate for anything more than 10 seconds.

Onsen/bath: The bath was interesting and fun. I did one in northern Japan and it got the nickname "naked spa" by one of the girls that went with us. Quite refreshing. Caveat though: don't jump into the cold bath immediately after the hot bath ... you can have a heart attack. I went to cold immediately after the hot and started to feel really funny. I got out. Fortunately no problems. Must acclimate before going into cold water.

Drug store: nice selection of snacks and stuff to grab for a quick bite or drink. They seemed to be confused with honoring the VIP discount when I presented my card, but I got it everytime.

Narita town: Great place to visit. I tried both the 150 bus and the Hilton shuttle. The 150 bus can be difficult if you're standing in it ... I'm 5'9 and was almost banging my head on the cieling. Also made it difficult to see where you were stopping, so I missed the temple. Fortunately, I had a map and the folks here gave me enough info to find my way there by walking.

I hit the Barge Inn. Didn't drink, but they didn't have anything I wanted to eat either. The temple was spectacular. Amazing architecture and an overall peaceful place. I also found a kimono/souvenir shop where I was able to get kimono's for larger framed Americans. 20% discount for cash. ^ Food was cheaper in town than at the hotel, and cheaper that many places I've seen.

Nice little town.

The Japanese people were really friendly and accommodating. I know very little Japanese, but fortunately the signs are either in English or at least romanized so you can figure things out. I didn't have trouble with simple transactions.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay there. Great hotel for the value, and the staff is friendly and helpful.

I recommend.

I'll post pics after I get home. Gotta get on a 13 hour flight to ORD now.

yasuki May 13, 2005 3:14 am

Bad news from Hilton Narita

Hilton Narita is a very friendly hotel for the HHonors members and they give nice treatments especially for G and D members. For example, they give G and D members the continental breakfast tickets but actually they offer the full breakfast buffet.

But after 16th on May, the continental breakfast ticket will be offered for the real continental breakfast. If the full breakfast buffet is wanted, 1,270JPY would be needed with the ticket. :(

This news has not been announced officially, but the guests who have stayed recently at this hotel were told by the hotel staff and the regular customers have got mails from the hotel.

mario33 May 13, 2005 4:27 am

The hotel probably read about the "easy Gold" promo, and bracing themselves for the estimated 44,000 additional Gold members ;)

OB one May 13, 2005 7:16 am

and in a similar vein, at Phoenix Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak, only 2 breakfast vouchers per room are now being given out to golds (don't know about diamond, would guess it is the same). Previously I had received vouchers for the number of people in the room which really made SP a super value.

cjd May 13, 2005 7:48 am

Originally Posted by OB one
and in a similar vein, at Phoenix Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak, only 2 breakfast vouchers per room are now being given out to golds (don't know about diamond, would guess it is the same). Previously I had received vouchers for the number of people in the room which really made SP a super value.

They would appear to be strictly adhering to the HHonor benefits which state:
At U.S. and Canadian Hilton hotels, and at Conrad and Doubletree hotels with Towers or Executive Levels, Diamond VIPs will be provided with a guest room on the Towers or Executive Level floor, whenever possible. In cases when Towers or Executive Level accommodations have been fully booked, Diamond VIP members will be offered the use of the Towers or Executive Level lounge, including complimentary continental breakfast each morning for the member and one additional person or (2) personalized certificates for each day of the stay for the member and one additional person valid for complimentary continental breakfast in the hotel coffee shop or all-purpose restaurant. At hotels without a Towers or Executive Level, Diamond VIP members will be offered complimentary continental breakfast each morning for the member and one additional person.

Outside the US there is not even the benefit of continental breakfast now stated:
At Hilton Family hotels outside the U.S. and Canada that have upgraded accommodation, Gold and Diamond VIPs will be upgraded to Executive Level or to the next best available room type. Upgraded rooms are subject to availability. At hotels that do not have upgraded types of accommodation, Gold and Diamond VIPs will receive additional amenities and/or services, which vary by property.

I am tending to find, especially in the UK hotels without Executive floors (most of them), that they now give elites a £3 ($5) bottle of wine and 2 chocolates in a box as the additional amenity. This is probably hoping that people will spend £15 per person on full breakfast!

Chris.

Xyzzy May 13, 2005 7:56 am

Originally Posted by cjd
I am tending to find, especially in the UK hotels without Executive floors (most of them), that they now give elites a £3 ($5) bottle of wine and 2 chocolates in a box as the additional amenity. This is probably hoping that people will spend £15 per person on full breakfast!

Does the Hilton Park Lane offer breakfast or wine/chocolate to Diamonds?

Baze May 13, 2005 8:46 am

Originally Posted by xyzzy

When I stayed at the Park Lane in April 2003 I was put on the executive floor with access to the lounge with breakfast. There was also chocolates and bottled water in the room when I got there. No wine. And this was an award stay the weekend of the London Marathon. I was Diamond at the time. I also gave my sister an award room at the same time. She has no status. She was also given a room next door to mine and access to the lounge including breakfast. She did not get the chocolates and water.

OB one May 13, 2005 8:52 am

Originally Posted by cjd
They would appear to be strictly adhering to the HHonor benefits which state:.

I know that is what the HHonors benefits state, but for the three trips to SP prior to the last one, I received 4 breakfast certs per day. And I mostly go with other family members, one of whom received 5 certs per day times 6 days for 30 breakfast certs. I did not complain when I only received the two certs per day as I carry my rules and know them. It was the change in policy I was noting. They are well within their rights to do it.

Originally Posted by cjd
I am tending to find, especially in the UK hotels without Executive floors (most of them), that they now give elites a £3 ($5) bottle of wine and 2 chocolates in a box as the additional amenity. This is probably hoping that people will spend £15 per person on full breakfast! Chris.

That is a bad choice and hope it is not systemwide. My Gold lapsed for a couple months once due to hhonors inactivity and the breakfast at Kensington Hilton was £15 per person, $25 US. We did not eat there once. That would have been $100 for breakfast for 4 of us when we could go out in London and get breakfast for only $70 , instead. ;) Or eat in the room, cereal and milk or breakfast sandwiches seemed a better alternative.

will-san May 13, 2005 9:14 am

They seem to geet cheaper all the time, but usually because someone was abusing the system. The first time I stayed at the Hilton Tokyo bay I was there for 60 nights. I got a coupon for a free drink in the bar every day. Towards the end of my stay a co-worker who had been staying there for a little over a year gave all of her coupons to her paint crew (we were working on a near by theme park) and they went nuts. After that drink coupons were reduced to 1 per stay. I would typically use mine on a glass of 25 year old scotch. On my most recent trip I tried to order my expensive scotch and was handed a menu with a list of a dozen or so drinks that you could get with the coupon. Now I hear the bar (Windows on the World) is gone and so are the drink coupons.

DoubleJ May 13, 2005 9:52 am

Originally Posted by yasuki
But after 16th on May, the continental breakfast ticket will be offered for the real continental breakfast. If the full breakfast buffet is wanted, 1,270JPY would be needed with the ticket.

That's too bad. It was a really nice spread.

Anybody know what the continental breakfast is limited to/consists of?

cjd May 13, 2005 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by xyzzy

Each time I have been at the London Hilton on Park Lane, as Diamond, have been upgraded to the Executive floor where they serve continental breakfast in the Executive lounge. Also usually get a couple of bottles of water and 4 chocloates in a box, but no wine. In the lounge they also do very nice afternoon teas with delicious cakes and pastries and complimentary drinks all day. Great hotel, very well situated and excellent service. However the rooms are a lot smaller than US hotels but still very nice.

Chris.

Chapel Hill Guy May 13, 2005 1:24 pm

I noticed a similar change on my last stay at the Hilton Santa Clara. I've stayed here 50+ nights a year the last couple of years and when I arrive on a Sunday and the exec lounge is not open on Monday, I get a coupon for continential breakfast in the restaurant. I've always had the breakfast buffet and never been charged anything additional. But last time, I was told the coupon was good for up to $10 and I would have to pay the difference for the buffet. Maybe Hilton clamping down system wide?

UKTony May 13, 2005 1:43 pm

UK Hiltons an 'executive' or 'deluxe' room is generally a standard room plus wine and/or water, chocolates, bath robe and .. nothing else. So if upgraded at checkin from a standard room you will normally get these benefits as well.

Almost all (outside London) seem to have withdrawn the better toiletories (MB etc) reverting to the standard three plastic tubes + misc items.

JDiver May 13, 2005 5:54 pm

Thanks for the news, yasuki! It's not great news, but OTOH to be able to upgrade what is a fairly complete Cotninental breakfast to an "all you can eat feast" breakfast at Hilton Narita for under US$12.00 is not such a bad deal, I'd say.

SPN Lifer May 13, 2005 6:55 pm

I was worried the award level had increased from 10,000 points! :eek:

Please use a more descriptive thread topic title next time, such as "Hilton Narita to limit complimentary breakfasts."

But thank you very much, yasuki, for taking the time to inform us not to expect the full breakfast buffet gratis.

Originally Posted by JDiver
Thanks for the news, yasuki! It's not great news, but OTOH to be able to upgrade what is a fairly complete Continental breakfast to an "all you can eat feast" breakfast at Hilton Narita for under US$12.00 is not such a bad deal, I'd say.

^

mario33 May 13, 2005 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Please use a more descriptive thread topic title next time, such as "Hilton Narita to limit complimentary breakfasts.

I do not think the heading is in anyway misleading or inappropriate.

The full breakfast is one of the perks that many Gold and Diamond members value highly at the Narita Hilton, and limiting it to just continental breakfast is indeed "bad news".

Its the OP's perogative to use whatever title he wishes as long as its not misleading or offensive; and I do not think its appropriate for any Flyertalker to dictate how the OP writes, eventhough its done in a friendly manner :)

FTraveler May 13, 2005 8:38 pm

Thanks for the news, yasuki! It's not great news, but OTOH to be able to upgrade what is a fairly complete Cotninental breakfast to an "all you can eat feast" breakfast at Hilton Narita for under US$12.00 is not such a bad deal, I'd say.

I'm headed there again and would gladly pay the $12.00 for the breakfast spread. Sure beats the full price charged for breakfast in Tokyo and London.

DoubleJ May 14, 2005 1:51 am

Not knowing what the Continental breakfast at HNRT actually consists of, it's difficult for me to say whether I would pay extra for the complete spread. If the Continental breakfast is fairly complete in itself as JDiver mentions, I personally may be inclined to save the 12 bucks or apply it to the lunch buffet.
(I'm not really the type that wakes up in the morning with a big appetite. ;) )

SPN Lifer May 15, 2005 12:53 am

Originally Posted by mario33
Its [sic] the OP's perogative [sic] to use whatever title he wishes as long as its [sic] not misleading or offensive; and I do not think its [sic] appropriate for any Flyertalker to dictate how the OP writes, eventhough [sic] its [sic] done in a friendly manner.

(Boldface emphasis added.)

Likewise, then, no FlyerTalker should "dictate" what helpful suggestions are "appropriate" or not. ;) They may be accepted or not, as deemed fit, in the spirit in which offered. :cool:

mario33 May 15, 2005 1:38 am

(Boldface emphasis added.)

Likewise, then, no FlyerTalker should "dictate" what helpful suggestions are "appropriate" or not. ;) They may be accepted or not, as deemed fit, in the spirit in which offered. :cool:

Fine, as long as you realise how condescending your original post was towards the OP :)

SPN Lifer May 15, 2005 2:25 am

Originally Posted by mario33
Fine, as long as you realise how condescending your original post was towards the OP.

I was worried the award level had increased from 10,000 points! :eek:

Please use a more descriptive thread topic title next time, such as "Hilton Narita to limit complimentary breakfasts."

But thank you very much, yasuki, for taking the time to inform us not to expect the full breakfast buffet gratis. ^

The principal condescension in this thread seems to be aimed at me by yourself. I have received no complaint from the helpful originator of this thread.

Instead, I simply and straight-forwardly explained the anxiety the vague topic title had caused me. Posting this publicly was intended to invite consideration not only from the original poster, but from all those who viewed the post, and to point out how much worse things could be.

To the extent your posts are intended to educate only me on your standards of sensitivity, they might be more profitably be addressed to me by PM. @:-)

Warm regards. Perhaps you will vacation down here on Saipan some day?

kawoh May 15, 2005 7:01 am

hiltons UK

stayed at 2 hiltons in london in Mar/Apr, HH gold.

Hilton London Olympia - no EF. got a deluxe corner room, booked a standard room. Had windows both sides, but typical average hllton room for the UK (ie hampton inn/hilton GI standard). The breakfast was included as a gold - and it was a huge breakfast buffet downstairs - highly recommended. Checked in early (9am) no problem. Was told b/fast only the next day but went to the restaurant and was offered a free hot b/fast buffet, real nice! Also got free acess to the gym (which has apples too :) ) Pretty darn average hotel though, would not stay here again unless trying to save heaps of bucks in London. Awkward position, as the tube is not frequent to olympia station.

Hilton Kensington - was upgraded to an exec floor room but opted for a level 1 room so i could get access to the BT internet wireless zone in the hotel, but no luck. B/fast was pretty average - cold meats, pastries (2 types) fruits plus boiled cold eggs. very very very average.

no amenities or acknowledgment letter was ever given from either properties. In terms of stays recording - hilton olympia within 1-2 weeks, hilton kensington - after waiting 5 weeks, had to email them, eventually they credited it.

small em May 15, 2005 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by kawoh
opted for a level 1 room so i could get access to the BT internet wireless zone in the hotel

Better to get a high room and sit by the window :)

puntos68 Jun 4, 2005 10:07 pm

Question about Hilton Narita

I am a gold member and i am going with the wife and 3 year old boy... Anyone knows if they supply with breakfast in the morning for Gold members... and what do they serve on the breakfast since this is an award night???

Thanks for the info....

jerry a. laska Jun 5, 2005 1:00 am

Originally Posted by puntos68
I am a gold member and i am going with the wife and 3 year old boy... Anyone knows if they supply with breakfast in the morning for Gold members... and what do they serve on the breakfast since this is an award night???
Thanks for the info....

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ghlight=narita

drron Jun 5, 2005 2:41 pm

Yes they do.It used to be a full breakfast but I believe a month ago it was changed to a continental.I dont think you will have problems getting your 3 year old in.

puntos68 Jun 5, 2005 5:18 pm

Thanks for the answer

gachen Jun 8, 2005 1:13 pm

Update report

Just back from Hilton Narita on a reward stay. Got the breakfast coupon upon check in. The coupon clearly stated for continetal breakfast only, or pay up for full breakfast. There is separate section in the dinning room for continental breakfast. The breakfast consist selection of bread/pastry, cereal, drink, and fruit. I think the selection is not bad at all.

Superguy Jun 25, 2005 3:14 pm

Hilton Narita now "up charging" for full breakfast buffet for golds?

All,

It's been commonly known that the Hilton Narita gives full access to their buffet with gold "continental" breakfast certificate.

My friend just stayed there last week and, as a gold, told him that he'd have to pay $12 if he wanted access to the full buffet. Otherwise, continental was free.

Anyone know if this is changing or have experienced this?

PremEx Jun 25, 2005 3:50 pm

That's always been the stated policy and what you are told when you are given your breakfast coupons. But my experience is that when you get to the restaurant, they tell you that you can go for the full deal.

Been several months since I've been there however, and I suppose they could have tightened things up a bit.

Did they tell your friend this at the Front Desk, or were they advised this when they actually presented the coupon at the restaurant?

mcgahat Jun 25, 2005 3:58 pm

Originally reported in this thread for more info.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=432281

Superguy Jun 25, 2005 9:13 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't know there was another thread on it already. It looks like it changed sometime in May, so I got the tail end of it when I was there in April.

I'd say that the breakfast was worth $12. Considering I paid nearly $20 for a sandwich, fries and drink (thank heavens work paid for it :)) at their coffee shop and their pasta buffet was $35, it's a decent deal.

Though you could always take the free shuttle into Narita and just go to McDonalds or a plethora of other good restaurants for something cheap. :)

yasuki Jun 26, 2005 3:15 am

The change of this regulation is not only for G members but also for D members. When I satyed at Hilton Narita (06/23/05), I had a mixed sandwich in my room and I paid 1,850JPY for it. So extra 1,270JPY is worth for full breakfast. :)

Now at Hilton Narita, high speed wired internet is available in all rooms. ( 1,760JPY/day) It is actually not cheap, but more convenient. ^

Superguy Jun 26, 2005 1:47 pm

The internet worked well, but it was in a pretty bad place in the room. It would have been nice to have them on or near the desks rather than by the TV.

1760 yen was better than the 18 euros I paid in Germany, which was about $24 a day then :eek: Cheaper to do that and use Skype to call home though than paying roaming.

JDiver Jun 26, 2005 3:46 pm

The Continental breakfast has lots of offerings and is a great deal- the full breakfast for US$12 more is still a wonderful bargain and deal , in Japan. You could stay and eat for two hours if you wished, and there is a huge array of American, Continental and Asian food to be had. By far the best meal deal at Hilton Narita.

And IMO, DO avoid the highly overpriced Japanese restaurant ("Matsukaze") on the next floor up - if there is such a thing as the epitome of mediocrity, this is it, in food and service, and it is outrageously expensive for what you get. I'd much rather shuttle to Narita town, or even the airport, and eat out.

Wexflyer Jun 26, 2005 11:01 pm

An additional question and comment:
What is the walk-up price of the full buffet? i.e. how much discount does one get from the free continental breakfast coupon?

The comment is that I had the full breakfast as a gold a few months ago (so never looked at what it would have cost with real money). Buffet was fine, but nothing to rave about as some seem to do. Of course, I tend to eat little in the morning, so the "eat all you want for as long as you want" aspect does not do very much for me.

DoubleJ Jun 26, 2005 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by Wexflyer
The comment is that I had the full breakfast as a gold a few months ago (so never looked at what it would have cost with real money). Buffet was fine, but nothing to rave about as some seem to do. Of course, I tend to eat little in the morning, so the "eat all you want for as long as you want" aspect does not do very much for me.

I'm of like mind. I'm not a big morning eater, so the Continental breakfast does it for me.

And IMO, DO avoid the highly overpriced Japanese restaurant ("Matsukaze") on the next floor up - if there is such a thing as the epitome of mediocrity, this is it, in food and service, and it is outrageously expensive for what you get. I'd much rather shuttle to Narita town, or even the airport, and eat out.

Don't know if I would really go as far as that (eating at the airport, and I don't mean distance). Narita town, of course, is a go! :)

Superguy Jun 27, 2005 6:54 am

Breakfast was in the neighborhood of $23 or $26 (can't remember which) for the full buffet. That's what one of the ladies that traveled with us paid because she didn't take advantage of CTCH. :)

sailanacra Jun 27, 2005 8:49 am

They don't check

The last time I was there, they didn't even ask for the upgrade. When I flashed the continental breakfast coupon, I was instructed to use whole buffet.

It's a pretty good buffet. If you are staying in or around Narita it might be worth it. If you are getting on a plane, eat at airport. If you are heading into town, skip breakfast and have cheap sushi in town. (At least that's what I would do).

Sailanacra

zedman Jul 18, 2005 7:36 pm

Hilton NRT

Good evening this is my first post on this great forum, I just made a reservation using some points at the Hilton NRT on my way to SGN, I am just a silver member, if somebody can give me his or her advice about this hotel I would be grateful.
Thank you