Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

HGVC facilities closed - compensation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2006, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ex-EXP, 2MM (ex DL, ex TWA)

I would appreciate any comments/advise on the following situation, which is new one to me:

Last November I reserved a week in April at the HGVC property "Eagle's Nest" on Marco Island, Florida, using HGVC points. When I reserved, no mention was made of any problems at this location. However, we just received a pre-arival letter that states that the place is still being rebuilt from damage sustained in a huricane last year, and that the pool area is still closed (and will still be closed while we are there), the accomodation having apparently only reopened this month. This is a family vacation, with our children. If I had know of this problem I would never have booked there. HGVC must have known the place was closed and being rebuilt when I booked, but never mentioned it.

So, what sort of options/recourse do I have. At this point of course we have locked in airline tickets, etc. Would a 50% refund of points be reasonable?
Old Mar 29, 2006, 12:44 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Good luck! - we recently stayed at the Hilton on the Park in Melbourne and the pool was closed there for building works but weren't even told. The only reason we booked this property was because of the pool but despite complaining just got an email from the GM stating that she was glad the issue was resolved

I'll never be going there again - would rather sleep in the park next time
Old Mar 29, 2006, 1:20 pm

Good Luck....We traded our HGVC points for an RCI property (that ended up being a HGVC property)that was damaged in the storm and was still closed 4 months later. We were told too bad for us, our points were lost because they were not responsible for weather damage. What customer service ?????
Old Mar 29, 2006, 2:39 pm

50% discount is asking a lot

Originally Posted by Wexflyer
So, what sort of options/recourse do I have. At this point of course we have locked in airline tickets, etc. Would a 50% refund of points be reasonable?
I think that a request for 50% of the points would be over-stretching. I suggest that you reply to the letter, pointing out that you had planned a family vacation with children and asking what arrangements Hilton have made for use of a nearby pool. If the alternative arrangements are convenient, then leave it because Hilton cannot be responsible for hurrican damage.

If there are no or inconvenient alternative arrangements ask for something comeasurate with the inconvenience - say some vouchers for meals.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bondiboy
I think that a request for 50% of the points would be over-stretching. I suggest that you reply to the letter, pointing out that you had planned a family vacation with children and asking what arrangements Hilton have made for use of a nearby pool. If the alternative arrangements are convenient, then leave it because Hilton cannot be responsible for hurrican damage.

If there are no or inconvenient alternative arrangements ask for something comeasurate with the inconvenience - say some vouchers for meals.
While HGVC may not be responsible for huricane damage itself, surely they are responsible for letting people know that the property has been damaged, is being rebuilt, facilities unavailable, etc.? HGVC knew this when I booked.
I did call the property directly - no mention of any alternative pool.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 5:43 pm

Programs: HH-Diamond
Last November I reserved a week in April at the HGVC property "Eagle's Nest" on Marco Island, Florida, using HGVC points. When I reserved, no mention was made of any problems at this location.

I take it from your message that you are in the 6-14 day (50% forfeiture) period. Have you tried appealing to the HGVC corporate office based on the lack of full disclosure prior to the penalty period? You might ask them about other SW FL properties for those dates, including the Hilton hotel on Marco.

Good luck.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 11:07 am

Programs: Hilton
I would appreciate any comments/advise on the following situation, which is new one to me:

Last November I reserved a week in April at the HGVC property "Eagle's Nest" on Marco Island, Florida, using HGVC points. When I reserved, no mention was made of any problems at this location. However, we just received a pre-arival letter that states that the place is still being rebuilt from damage sustained in a huricane last year, and that the pool area is still closed (and will still be closed while we are there), the accomodation having apparently only reopened this month. This is a family vacation, with our children. If I had know of this problem I would never have booked there. HGVC must have known the place was closed and being rebuilt when I booked, but never mentioned it.

I advise you call 800-521-3144, immediately and discuss it with one of the HGVClub Affiliated Resort counselors!
Old Mar 30, 2006, 11:31 am

Programs: United, Southwest, HH Diamond, PC Platinum, Airtran, Starwood Plat, Marriott Gold, Loews Gold
Make a call today with your dissatisfaction. Make them put you in a hotel with a great pool.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Just got a reminder about providing an update on what transpired. Hopefully everything is resolved satisfactorily. Called HGVC last Thursday, explained that I was less than happy for two reasons: (a) Lack of any mention of property being rebuilt/closed, etc. when I originally booked, and (b) this is a family vacation where we normally spend part of each day at the pool, and no substitute is available. CS representative listended, and then said that she would pass this on to a supervisor who would call back. It was quite a while, but I did get a call back same day - supervisor (in corporate offices) made me repeat story, but she clearly knew it already and had been working on finding a solution - she had already arranged an alternative stay at another property not so far away. This is at the "Plantation Beach Club" at the South Seas Resort on Captiva Island, also just reopened from damage in 2004. She gave me time to look it up on the internet - a somewhat expensive place for restaurants and other facilities by all accounts (at least relative to what is actually provided). However, it is a quiet place, and there are lots of alternative restaurants on the island, we can bring our own beach chairs, etc., so looks fine, and pools are open [as the whole family survived a stay at the Cavalieri in Rome, we can probably survive South Seas also]. So, agreed to change reservation to South Seas on Captiva on same dates - no penalties for cancelling at Marco within 14 days, or new booking charges.

Of course I seem to have been very lucky - comparable or better accommodation was available nearby for the same dates, a possibility I did not even consider when I posted my original query. I still wonder what they would have offered to do if this were not so!

Last edited by Wexflyer; Apr 2, 2006 at 8:53 pm
Old Apr 2, 2006, 9:13 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Glad to hear that things worked out well for you and your family.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.