Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton London Metropole {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2023, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Booked a renovated room. The rooms are fine but showing some wear. No upgrade even though the app was offering paid upgrades to 20-30 other rooms.

Sink was not draining so I called maintenance. They came while I was out but didn't fix the problem.

The next day the shower and even sink cold water tap was coming out scalding hot. Had to speak to multiple agents before finally a supervisor said they knew about the problem and it was affecting the entire tower section. No time to resolution.

I am checking out tomorrow but have a prepaid reservation there again in a few days, I've requested to cancel/refund but the supervisor said that would require a higher level manager to approve, should get an update this evening.

Pretty shocking how little this property seems to care about guest service. No comp offered for anything.

This is a convenient location for my business travel and it's the first time I'm visiting since the renovation. Will not be back.
Old May 31, 2023, 11:05 am

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Apologies for the lateness of my update, been a trifle busy.

Originally booked a standard queen, in anticipation of a decent upgrade. Was offered multiple paid upgrades, which I ignored and on the day of arrival, was upgraded to a King Executive prior to arrival.

When I arrived, I announced myself and the receptionist asked to wait a moment and she scurried away into the back office, only to return the guest services manager who welcomed us with a huge smile and a firm handshake, which was a nice touch.

The room was a "refurbished" room on the 6th floor in the East Wing. The room was "fine" but nothing spectacular. It was disappointing to have a balcony which wasn't accessible, neither were any of the windows able to be opened. Not that it mattered because we were on the shady side of the building, which made the room a little dull all the time, as it never saw any direct sunlight. Having had an un-refurbished room the last time I stayed here in the tower building, it was an improvement but nothing more. There's a double shower in the (smallish) bathroom, which was positioned in such a way that the door could open just beyond half way before it hit against the sink counter, so not particularly practical and caused my wife some access issues, given she recently had a knee replacement and I'd specifically confirmed that the room had a walk in shower.

The lounge was quieter than the last time I was there but still had a decent offering in the wines and spirits department, also a couple of beer options as well. The food was so, so, nothing great, a couple of hot options, 1 usually a veggie such as onion bhaji and a non-veggie, like meatballs, but these were dried out and looked burnt. When I brought this to the attention of the host, he was very apologetic and would go and speak to the chef, the result of which was even more of the same! The remainder of the buffet was cold meats, cheeses etc. The did have some nice desserts, such as creme brulees etc.

All in all, a decent, if not spectacular stay but nothing that would put me off staying there again, with its close proximity to Paddington station and Little Venice.
Winniesbestfriend likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 4:21 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Stayed here last night and had a litany of issues unfortunately.

Room not ready until nearly 7pm so with my day as it was, this meant that I couldn't check in earlier as I had planned so needed to check in at 11pm. Despite having been offered dozens of paid upgrades on the app which I ignored, miraculously none apparently available at checkin. Actually having read the post above, I'm almost happy that there was no upgrade as my tiny but very clean refurbished King room was at least on a very high floor.

No concierge which was a problem as they were storing my bag for me. After 10 mins waiting at the concierge desk which is a long way from the checkin area, I went to the diamond area of checkin to ask for them to call the concierge and, despite there only being one customer in front of me, it took 15 minutes to get to the desk - they said they would arrange for my bag to be delivered to the room.

Half an hour later, no bag so I called the front desk to ask again. Bag eventually arrived pretty much an hour after I first went to the concierge desk to ask for it, just after midnight.

Then finally tried to sit down and work at the desk to find that the plug sockets have been placed so close to the desk that it's impossible to plug in my Macbook Pro which isn't exactly an unusual type of laptop.

What struck me was how very busy this hotel is, even at 11pm - and how few staff were available at that time to deal with all of the guests.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 6:46 pm

Programs: BA Exec Silver, Aeroplan, Hilton Honors Gold
I had an okay stay here for one night, booked a few hours before I arrived due to a cancelled flight. I agree about how busy the lobby is all of the time. Room is a good size and seemed fairly good.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 9:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by Freetotravel
I have never once been asked for photo ID to stay at a Hilton property in the UK either. I would find it quite odd to be asked.
HGI T2&3 I always get asked for a passport and I have stayed there 12 times already in 2023
Old Oct 1, 2023, 7:35 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Couple of stays here lately. The restaurants have been renovated and changed owner since before Covid. No bar on top of the Tower Wing any more. Lessons of Arabic were being arranged in one of the restaurant lounges...

Both times early check in was hoped for and became declined. However, the rooms in West Wing were ready around 2 PM to settle in. The front desk personnel either clueless or upright rude with standard answers of being full and about the check in times at 15 and out at 12. Even one hour postponement of check out was impossible to negotiate. The way to communicate was the Hilton App.

The exec. lounge is in temporary location, as I understood. Cafeteria style and roomy. Offerings in the evening were satisfactory and I did not notice congestion. Very international clientele! Three wines and regular hard boozes for drinks. Two hot alternatives, salads, cheeses, and cold cuts. Nice deserts.

Breakfast downstairs at "Tyburn kitchen" was ok only for my first stay. Second time the hotel was full and and so was the breakfast room - a zoo of locusts. Almost made me to try the lounge, which I did not.

These were points only stays, so I am happy with the outcome. But my second visit made me strongly to reconsider Conrad, Tower Bridge, and Bankside in the future. Nihilistic Paddington is out of the question.
Old Oct 1, 2023, 7:59 am

I’m surprised to hear that the executive lounge is in a temporary location, because it’s not been very long since the old swimming pool was converted into the new lounge.
Is this not where is currently is?
Old Oct 1, 2023, 8:06 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
[QUOTE=RetiringSoon;35627224]I’m surprised to hear that the executive lounge is in a temporary location, because it’s not been very long since the old swimming pool was converted into the new lounge.
Is this not where is currently is?[/QUOTE
East wing, second floor, right next to the elevators. No windows to outside except in roof... I do not think there has been a swimming pool before in the same place.
Old Oct 1, 2023, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's where it was when I was there. I didn't realise that was temporary.
It was as per this post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34006673-post685.html
Old Oct 1, 2023, 10:05 am

It’s definitely not temporary. They did away with the swimming pool to put the lounge there.
Old Oct 1, 2023, 2:57 pm

Programs: BA & Accor Gold | Hilton Diamond
Yeah I can confirm the written material handed out to guests during the renovation (i.e. in 2021) explained they were permanently moving the Exec Lounge to the ex-swimming pool area, which was the glass roofed part in the 'middle' of the East Wing. It is not designed to be temporary - it was built with its own kitchen facilities etc. I have visited the new lounge on about 15 stays since it re-opened and it has always been satisfactory. They expand into the normally-closed 'meeting room' space behind the bar when it gets over-crowded at happy hour.
Old Oct 1, 2023, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
There is a former pool/hot tub space at the Hilton Park Lane too, on the lower level. Sad
Old Oct 2, 2023, 12:20 am
TTL

Originally Posted by andimilk
Yeah I can confirm the written material handed out to guests during the renovation (i.e. in 2021) explained they were permanently moving the Exec Lounge to the ex-swimming pool area, which was the glass roofed part in the 'middle' of the East Wing. It is not designed to be temporary - it was built with its own kitchen facilities etc. I have visited the new lounge on about 15 stays since it re-opened and it has always been satisfactory. They expand into the normally-closed 'meeting room' space behind the bar when it gets over-crowded at happy hour.
Case closed then .
Old Oct 2, 2023, 10:44 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
There is a former pool/hot tub space at the Hilton Park Lane too, on the lower level. Sad
Is the sauna still there mate?
Old Oct 5, 2023, 6:26 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Was at the Metropole last night. I arrived about 6pm and I have never in my life seen so many people queuing to check in. The whole lobby area was full of queues of people, including probably 15 people queuing for the Gold / Diamond desk and probably 30 people queuing for the regular check in.

Thank goodness for Digital Keys. I was just happy to get to my very small "deluxe" room. The fact that the room is so small that it's not possible to walk fully upright between the bottom of the bed and the TV was something that I accepted as a "feature" of the hotel.. apparently it's Hilton's largest hotel outside of the USA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.