Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2018] Hilton Best Rate Guarantee or BRG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2018] Hilton Best Rate Guarantee or BRG

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2009, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MichaelColey
I have screen shots. The last time I checked, the rate was still there, even.

Fortunately, these are all with refundable rates, and I have a backup reservation that I'll use if they don't honor the best rate guarantee.

It's a shame that the Diamond Desk doesn't seem to be able to prod them along.
It's true, calling the DD for help on any BRG issue is useless.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 1:34 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Unbelievable!

Just to follow up on my previous post, just received my response to my 2nd BRG and it was rejected again, here is an extract of the response
"Thank you for taking the time to submit a claim form regarding Our Best Rates. Guaranteed. We have reviewed your reservation.

As the reservation found included the upgrade as well as other amenities not offered through the reservation you have booked through Hilton your claim is not valid. As stated in our Terms and Conditions the rate found on any 3rd party website must be an exact mirror of the reservation booked through Hilton.

We realize that every guest has a choice when traveling and we thank you for making Hilton your choice. We look forward to the opportunity to serve your future travel needs. I will include a link to our Terms and Conditions below for your further review."

Is this just not unbelievable? The 3rd party site is giving me more extra's than what I get from Hilton's own more expensive rate and yet it was rejected because it is not an exact mirror of the reservation.. what B&*^#*&t!

This is one of the worst major chain from Customer service point of view..

ps: Just submitted a complain to BBB.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nldogbert
Just to follow up on my previous post, just received my response to my 2nd BRG and it was rejected again, here is an extract of the response
"Thank you for taking the time to submit a claim form regarding Our Best Rates. Guaranteed. We have reviewed your reservation.

As the reservation found included the upgrade as well as other amenities not offered through the reservation you have booked through Hilton your claim is not valid. As stated in our Terms and Conditions the rate found on any 3rd party website must be an exact mirror of the reservation booked through Hilton.

We realize that every guest has a choice when traveling and we thank you for making Hilton your choice. We look forward to the opportunity to serve your future travel needs. I will include a link to our Terms and Conditions below for your further review."

Is this just not unbelievable? The 3rd party site is giving me more extra's than what I get from Hilton's own more expensive rate and yet it was rejected because it is not an exact mirror of the reservation.. what B&*^#*&t!

This is one of the worst major chain from Customer service point of view..

I am not sure why you feel your complaint merits involving the BBB. While I agree with you that Hilton's hardnosed interpretation of its T&Cs makes little business sense from a Customer Service point of view, it seems to me that your claim lacks merit, since your reservation did in fact have slightly different parameters than the offer that Hilton was making. It is clear in the Best Rate Guarantee that the terms must be identical. It is not an unethical business practice for a hotel chain to do exactly what they told you they would do in the Terms and Conditions of their guarantee program.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 11:40 am

Programs: Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by amanuensis
I am not sure why you feel your complaint merits involving the BBB. While I agree with you that Hilton's hardnosed interpretation of its T&Cs makes little business sense from a Customer Service point of view, it seems to me that your claim lacks merit, since your reservation did in fact have slightly different parameters than the offer that Hilton was making. It is clear in the Best Rate Guarantee that the terms must be identical. It is not an unethical business practice for a hotel chain to do exactly what they told you they would do in the Terms and Conditions of their guarantee program.
I can see the BBB Complaint.

Click here to read up on the best rate guarantee on Hilton's webpage.

The best rate guarantee makes you believe Hilton will offer the best deal for your chosen amentities directly (via their webpage, phone, or hotel). If you find a cheaper deal within 24 hours with your chosen amentities (or more), it certainly seems to guarantee Hilton will honor that. But according the dozens (and certainly a lot more) of accounts here, they don't. That's not a guarantee at all.

I would argue that this policy is a deceptive business practice.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cheesehoops
I can see the BBB Complaint.

Click here to read up on the best rate guarantee on Hilton's webpage.

The best rate guarantee makes you believe Hilton will offer the best deal for your chosen amentities directly (via their webpage, phone, or hotel). If you find a cheaper deal within 24 hours with your chosen amentities (or more), it certainly seems to guarantee Hilton will honor that. But according the dozens (and certainly a lot more) of accounts here, they don't. That's not a guarantee at all.

I would argue that this policy is a deceptive business practice.
The page you linked to is not the page with the Terms and Conditions of the guarantee. That page is here: http://www.hiltonworldwide.com/en/ww...es/terms.jhtml

Obviously Hilton intends that its guarantee result in people believing that it is not possible to find a lower rate via a non-Hilton channel than what you will find via a Hilton channel. But that is what marketing is--making people believe you said something without actually saying it. If you complain to the BBB because of marketing claims, then every business in America will be guilty of "deceptive" practices. Hilton does not actually claim that it is not possible to find a lower price via non-Hilton channels.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
I have screen shots. The last time I checked, the rate was still there, even.

Fortunately, these are all with refundable rates, and I have a backup reservation that I'll use if they don't honor the best rate guarantee.
SUCCESS AT LAST! I finally got my BRG approved.

I can't believe the massive incompetence and impotence that I ran across trying to get this resolved. The Diamond Desk is powerless to help. The hotels are powerless to help. It must be done through corporate, and the level of incompetence there is dumbfounding.

Like kats, I was told that the supervisor couldn't access the Internet and if they can't verify it that the claim is invalid. I started to argue about the absurdity of that, but quickly realized that wasn't going to get me anywhere. I asked about the screen capture that I had sent. She hadn't received it, so I sent it again while I was on the phone. She got it and after initially saying "the links don't work" was able to see the screen capture. Then, she needed to see the cancellation policy. I sent a second screen capture showing the cancellation policy. Same thing - she couldn't figure it out and first but then I heard her reading the cancellation policy. Finally, she said they would approve my claim "because of all the hassle" (not from merit???).

I doubt I'll ever do a BRG again, unless it's a HUGE savings. (This one was almost $200, and I'm not sure it was worth the hassle!) If I do, here are the takeaways for next time:

1) Take screen captures and upload them to ImageShack or some similar image hosting service. Include one showing the rate and one showing the cancellation policy.
2) When submitting the request, include links to the hosted screen captures.
3) Don't bother calling the Diamond Desk, the hotel, or anyone but Guest Assistance.
4) If I get an email address or phone number to the agent handling it, send them the screen captures (rather than just a link) just in case their computer isn't able to access the Internet.
5) Follow up relentlessly and don't let them off the phone until they have everything they need.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 12:45 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I can't believe the massive incompetence and impotence that I ran across trying to get this resolved. The Diamond Desk is powerless to help. The hotels are powerless to help. It must be done through corporate, and the level of incompetence there is dumbfounding.

I doubt I'll ever do a BRG again, unless it's a HUGE savings. (This one was almost $200, and I'm not sure it was worth the hassle!) If I do, here are the takeaways for next time:
Speechless.. I just don't understand why other major chain of hotels can do it without any problem but with Hilton, it is like we the customer are trying to perform some daylight robbery in front of them..

Old Sep 10, 2009, 6:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nldogbert
I would encourage anybody else to do the same ^
Old Sep 23, 2009, 5:27 am

Location: SYD, Australia......Hotels: HHon LT Diamond, Hyatt LT Glob, Marriott AMB (LT Gold), IHG AMB (20 years of SCC and RoyAMB dropped 2024)...Airlines: BA GGL (OW Emerald), LH FTL (*S), QF Plat (LT Gold), VA, UA Silver (*S), SQ Silver (*S)
Are hotelclub.com bookings always denied?

Originally Posted by jkbaus
I phoned Hilton to check the likelihood of my BRG being honoured, I found a rate on GTAhotels for 3 nights, total $516 incl taxes & fees whereas Hilton advance purchase rate was $941 for same room type etc.

The Gtahotels site was for Cairo Ramsis Hilton but correct spelling was Ramses. I was advised this would make no difference to assessment and to go ahead and book on the Hilton site using advance purchase, non-refundable.

I went ahead and booked and submitted my BRG claim. Their site stated I would be advised of the outcome of my claim bu email within 24 hours. NO EMAIL RECEIVED.

I phoned (several calls) and after much time "on hold" was advised the claim was denied. When I queried the reason the customer assistance person read out the BRG terms & conditions. I advised that I had met these. After long discussions she said BRG did not apply because GTA issues vouchers. She also said all the staff in customer assistance knew that GTA was always denied for this.

I complained that I had been misled during my initial conversations with customer assistance and asked to speak with a supervisor. She advised that no supervisor was available. I asked how I could have my claim reviewed. She put me on hold for some time and then came back and said a manager had reviewed the file while I was on hold but the claim was still denied.
Interesting that no supervisor/manager was there to take my call but there was one to review and deny.

Anyway, looks like I was done out of $424USD. I should have looked on flyertalk sooner and just booked through 3rd party site.

Needless to say that I will not stay at any Hiltons after this booking.

By the way, I submitted a BRG for Shangi-La last week quoting expedia and had no problems at all.
After reading this post I'm concerned that the deal I just found on hotelclub.com will be denied based on the fact that they also issue vouchers for the booking. I can't believe that this is a valid reason.

I don't want to risk booking on hilton.com because both the hilton.com and hotelclub.com rates are completely non-refundable. How do you go about getting the BRG for non-refundable rates without knowing the outcome of the claim? Can this not be done over the phone while they check both web sites and then confirm that you've got a valid claim?

Last edited by Sydfly; Sep 23, 2009 at 6:49 pm Reason: correct website was hotelclub.com not hotels.com
Old Sep 23, 2009, 12:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
I submitted another Marriott claim recently and it took 24 minutes... at 2 in the morning!

Hilton's unwillingness to care/address issues on this board has driven me away. Marriott stays YTD = 36 and Hilton stays YTD = 5
Old Sep 23, 2009, 12:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Celebrity Cruises Elite Plus
Originally Posted by boxo
I submitted another Marriott claim recently and it took 24 minutes... at 2 in the morning!

Hilton's unwillingness to care/address issues on this board has driven me away. Marriott stays YTD = 36 and Hilton stays YTD = 5
I submitted a successfull Marriott BRG this morning and the turnaround time was less than an hour. Also, the lower priced website was GTA hotels, which apparently Hilton won't honor due to the voucher thing.

Ridiculous.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 8:53 pm

Location: SYD, Australia......Hotels: HHon LT Diamond, Hyatt LT Glob, Marriott AMB (LT Gold), IHG AMB (20 years of SCC and RoyAMB dropped 2024)...Airlines: BA GGL (OW Emerald), LH FTL (*S), QF Plat (LT Gold), VA, UA Silver (*S), SQ Silver (*S)
This BRG is so difficult that Hilton will loose my business due to this. They can't look at the claims over the phone and I'm unwilling to take the risk of booking their advance purchase rate without knowing that they won't knock back my claim. I don't think I'll book the cheaper rate as they will not honour my HH benefits then. I submitted a claim without making the reservation but I'm sure they won't accept that. So, I'll be staying at the CP instead and give my money to ICH group.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 2:49 pm
ffj

Programs: AA, ExPlat, DL Sil, UAL Sil, Hilt Dia, Marr Plat
With all the deceptive practices by Hilton in getting BRGs approved, eventually Hilton will get caught by some goivernment watch dog. The bad part is that some new law will take hold, that will affect ALL hotels, even the ones who are reasonable. I am now a happy Marriott Plat and a bare minimum Hilton Dia. Hilton lost a great deal of $$$ for being so poor in handling this "guarantee".
Old Nov 11, 2009, 10:18 pm

FWIW, although I did get the rate matched, I'm STILL WAITING for the $50. I've contacted them about it again and was told they were behind on sending them out.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 9:58 am

FWIW, although I did get the rate matched, I'm STILL WAITING for the $50. I've contacted them about it again and was told they were behind on sending them out.
More than a month after I completed my stay, I finally received the $50 this morning (delivered by FedEx Priority Overnight - what a waste!). Does anyone know if I can just deposit the $50 American Express Gift Cheque? I've never received one before.

My net cost after the price match and receiving the $50 cheque was less than $200 for five nights in a Hampton Inn in Orlando. Not bad, especially considering I got breakfast for four all five days and earned 4k HH points and 220 airline points. I'm not sure I could have beat $40/night even with Priceline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.