Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Brussels {BEL} (no longer Honors)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Brussels {BEL} (no longer Honors)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2000, 2:38 pm

Canadian:

Brussels still has a real King with a Royal Palace! Your royalties are headquartered in the UK.
Buenos Aires has no monarchy right now. One of their "kings" (Charles V, about 500 years ago; an empire where the sun never set down or so) was born in Ghent and lived in Mechelen near Brusseles, both in Flanders/Belgium.

O.K., next July/August I'll visit Montreal. I was told this are the best months.
Old Oct 24, 2000, 7:30 am

O.K. USAFAN I'm glad your coming to Montreal, It really is a great city, and I would also sujest a side trip to Ottawa if you have the time.

As for the monarchy, the Aussies are ready to kick them out of Australia, and the Brits are even having second thoughts about the future of a monarchy.

I think most canucks would like things the way they are, since we don't really see them except on visits (Sort of like the in-laws),
and they do keep us distict from our neighbours to the south!
Old Oct 24, 2000, 1:07 pm

Canadian:

You sound like an UGLY AMERICAN!

And you're gonna embarass all those Canadians in Europe that wear the Maple Leaf so that no one will mistake them for arrogant Americans!

I really was pleasantly surprised by Brussels! I didn't know what to expect, but I got more than I expected. The people were about medium, not too friendly, not overly rude, typical big city. I loved the Mannekin Pis and the Grand Place.

The food was good, especially some garlicky mussels I ate (mussels in Brussels ). I loved the Belgian waffles. They were so good, you could eat them dry!

I had fun at the overly touristy Mini-Europe and the Brussels Atomium. I thought the food and the wine, and especially beer was good. I must say I enjoyed Brussels more than Montreal, although Montreal is significantly cheaper.

At least when the people in Brussels didn't speak Engligh, I knew they really couldn't, not like the people in Montreal that only pretended not to know English!

Anyway, If anybody is in that part of Europe, then Brussels is a definite must. I'd go back in a minute!

Mac

------------------
Via con Dios!
Old Oct 25, 2000, 1:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH au VS au BMI au
Well ive been here 2 days and i must say its pretty uninspiring. Hopefully my lasst night will be more eventful, thankfully its dublin for 2 nights after.

jon
Old Oct 25, 2000, 9:25 am

THANK YOU JONGER!!!

I REST MY CASE!!!

Old Oct 25, 2000, 9:48 am
Original Poster

I have spoken at lenghth today to all our sales people - they should know a party when the need see one - and there are none in brussels. They all go to paris of amsterdam

jon
Old Oct 25, 2000, 7:39 pm

GO FIGURE!

OH I SHOULDN'T SAY THAT, OR EVERYONE WILL GET MAD AT ME.
Old Oct 26, 2000, 9:07 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
I was in Brussels about two years ago for the first time, and stayed at the Hilton my first night there. I was not at all impressed at the time. The front desk staff were "cold" and fairly glum. My room was a big disappointment, with leaky windows, etc.

I wasn't too impressed with the city, it just looked kind of dull and boaring. The next day I drove off to my employers office in the south of the Netherlands. A week later, I was back to the Hilton for my last night in Belgium before flying home.

I was expecting a nasty falling apart room, and was graced with a two room executive suite. One room had a large office area with library, and a sitting area with a big TV. The bedroom had a nice large king size bed, and the bathroom had a steam bath. I was very surprised - I checked in about 6pm, and don't know why I got the special treatment. No VIP status at the time.
Old Oct 27, 2000, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
He, He. BRUSSELS.

Rudi and I and many others had a bit of good natured jousting about this city recently.

My thoughts are that its biggest attraction is a little boy's statue in some windy back street pissing on his feet, and it goes downhill from there.

Read and smile (hopefully!)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum94/HTML/002250.html

------------------
~ Glen ~

[This message has been edited by ozstamps (edited 10-27-2000).]
Old Nov 5, 2000, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA 2 MM LIfetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Silver, BA
It's a shame that the question about the hotel has turned into bashing Brussels. Visited twice this year,the second traveled around Belgium for a week. Thoroughly enjoyed both visits. For me it was "France" - without the arrogance. Hadn't been back to Europe for about 15 years. I found people helpful. Loved the architecture. Stayed in some bed and breakfasts in other parts of Belgium. Revisited Brugge. So, impressions shouldn't be said as "facts." Everyone has different tastes and expectations. And sometimes it's just the luck of the draw on any given visit to anywhere.

------------------
DtG

[This message has been edited by dgordon (edited 11-09-2000).]
Old Jan 11, 2001, 3:02 am
Original Poster

Hilton Brussels Trip Reports and Reviews

As it says, third time lucky. I arrived at the hotel at about 19.30 having just hopped over from London for two days. I would normally have flown in the morning, but with the hour we lose, I needed to fly this evening. There was a huge queue at reception, for checking in. They were having to do everything manually, as the computer system had broken down. As usual I threw down my entourage of plastic, Amex, LH FF card and always on top, my new found friend the Hhonors gold card. On only his second outing he has so far been worth, well his weight in gold. I am here on a bounce back rate as I booked the trip just before Christmas. I was a little disappointed when I saw the #802 on the card he was about to give me, and asked (while playing coyly with my HhGC) if there was a possibility of an upgrade. He said sadly not (I knew he was lying) but said I could use the club room (not something us euros are guaranteed if your read the GC rules – as I found out in Belfast). I went up to my room and opened the door – a twin room. No way, not happening, that snowballs gonna melt in hades tonight. Straight down to reception, and I asked the same guy for a non-smoking double as requested in booking. C’est bon monsier, la chamber dans la executive floor. #2219. I went up to the room and noticed a ‘do not disturb’ sign on the door. I figured maybe housekeeping were being lax ( or maybe theres a beautiful, naked women stepping out of the shower – you decide) and opened the door. Cue old man from NYC yelling ‘what u doin , get the F out of my room’. Down to reception we go, The manager please I say, he comes, apologises and insists on accompanying (and carrying my bags) to my suite – and what a suite it is. The bed, huge, the bathrooms (with an S) beautiful, the steam shower – tell you later. Two days of this – Sheer hell.

Jongar
Old Jan 11, 2001, 9:03 pm

Location: Cary, NC, USA - AA Plt 3mm/DL Dia 2mm, Hil/Dia Life, Bonvoy/Titanium Life, Spire
Jongar, I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. I also had a pleasant experience at the Hilton Brussels during Thanksgiving 2 years ago...my wife and I arrived from JFK and found ourselves behind 40 other people that also booked the same vacation package deal. The special reception desk was set up on the 2nd floor to handle the crowd. We were not expecting much since we could hear the receptionists telling everyone in front of us that they could leave their luggage, but the rooms would not be ready until 1pm.It was 9am. I showed my Diamond Card and bam! people jumped! Your room will be ready in 5 minutes sir!!! We were on the executive floor with endless Godiva chocolates and European beers in the lounge. Excellent room and service. My only EU Hilton stay so far. If our upcoming stay at the Athens Hilton is anything close to what we experienced there, I'll be happy.
Old Jan 12, 2001, 2:40 am

Programs: SK EBD, AX Cent, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Club-A Plat, Avis' PC, CC Gold,Hertz PC, CX Diamond,BA Bronz
Your original brushoff was exactly the same that I experienced last october, no flexibility whatsoever at Hilton Brussels...
Old Feb 5, 2001, 12:19 am

Brussels Residence

Has anybody stayed in Hilton Brussels Residence? What is it like and is there any chances to upgrade as Gold VIP (yep everybody is nowadays...)

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 5, 2001, 1:21 am
Original Poster

First off, its not a hotel. Its a block of executive appartments - No room service or restraunt. A continental breafast is su

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.