Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waldorf Astoria New York {US-NY}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2016, 11:30 am

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Just had a two night stay at this property and while I am glad I had a chance to stay here, I would be hard pressed to recommend this hotel. Some smallish service breakdowns made the stay a bit frustrating. Upon arrival we were greeted by a line in the lobby of 30-40 people checking in. The line moved slow and just as we reached about 3rd in line, a hotel employee came over and asked if anyone was HHonors. I told her I was a gold and she said to follow her. We had already waited 30-40 mins, only to be brought over to the door of the Diamond reception where a guest was taking a long time to check in, even to the point that they got up once to leave, then sat back down for another 5+ mins. We also had another couple in front of us that still needed to be tended to. Meanwhile, everyone in front of us in the original line was being taken care of. Eventually another FD rep came over and helped us. I did ask for a 2 pm check out but was only granted 1 pm. Not a big deal, but 2 pm would have been a little better for us. I did get two drink coupons.

Beyond the check in issues, I also returned to my room on a meeting break the following afternoon to see the message light on the phone blinking. I tried to dial in to get a message, but got a recording that the front desk had a message for me. Tried to transfer to FD but got no answer. Back in line in the lobby to wait 15+ mins, only to find out they were messages about the meeting I was attending, reminding me of times and rooms that I had just come from.

I originally chose a room on the 27th floor using OLCI, but it wasn't available when we checked in. The FD rep also said it can be a noisy room as the elevator runs right next to one of the walls. She instead put me in a room on the 11th, but failed to take into consideration all the noise from Lexington all night long. I know Manhattan is noisy, but if you are recommending a new room to a guest based on noise, at least try to get them into a room that might not be as noisy as ours ended up being.

Beyond that I didn't think the bed was all that comfortable, the shower had a leak on the connection with the shower head that was strong and sprayed upwards, almost reaching the ceiling. Went to grab a water out of the mini bar as we went out the final am to sightsee and it was warm.

Most of the staff at WA seemed very friendly and engaged, and the free hot chocolate at the store just off the lobby was the highlight of our stay.

I'm a pretty good with overlooking small challenges, but for the premium this hotel charges I must say they fall short, especially mechanically. I wouldn't expect that to improve either as they move closer to the renovation. The last stay I had in NYC was at the HGI on W 35th and I must say for half the cost I had double the pleasure there.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by birdiedouble
Just had a two night stay at this property and while I am glad I had a chance to stay here, I would be hard pressed to recommend this hotel. Some smallish service breakdowns made the stay a bit frustrating. Upon arrival we were greeted by a line in the lobby of 30-40 people checking in. The line moved slow and just as we reached about 3rd in line, a hotel employee came over and asked if anyone was HHonors. I told her I was a gold and she said to follow her. We had already waited 30-40 mins, only to be brought over to the door of the Diamond reception where a guest was taking a long time to check in, even to the point that they got up once to leave, then sat back down for another 5+ mins. We also had another couple in front of us that still needed to be tended to. Meanwhile, everyone in front of us in the original line was being taken care of. Eventually another FD rep came over and helped us. I did ask for a 2 pm check out but was only granted 1 pm. Not a big deal, but 2 pm would have been a little better for us. I did get two drink coupons.

Beyond the check in issues, I also returned to my room on a meeting break the following afternoon to see the message light on the phone blinking. I tried to dial in to get a message, but got a recording that the front desk had a message for me. Tried to transfer to FD but got no answer. Back in line in the lobby to wait 15+ mins, only to find out they were messages about the meeting I was attending, reminding me of times and rooms that I had just come from.

I originally chose a room on the 27th floor using OLCI, but it wasn't available when we checked in. The FD rep also said it can be a noisy room as the elevator runs right next to one of the walls. She instead put me in a room on the 11th, but failed to take into consideration all the noise from Lexington all night long. I know Manhattan is noisy, but if you are recommending a new room to a guest based on noise, at least try to get them into a room that might not be as noisy as ours ended up being.

Beyond that I didn't think the bed was all that comfortable, the shower had a leak on the connection with the shower head that was strong and sprayed upwards, almost reaching the ceiling. Went to grab a water out of the mini bar as we went out the final am to sightsee and it was warm.

Most of the staff at WA seemed very friendly and engaged, and the free hot chocolate at the store just off the lobby was the highlight of our stay.

I'm a pretty good with overlooking small challenges, but for the premium this hotel charges I must say they fall short, especially mechanically. I wouldn't expect that to improve either as they move closer to the renovation. The last stay I had in NYC was at the HGI on W 35th and I must say for half the cost I had double the pleasure there.
I love this hotel and the best part was the $99 Waldorf Sunday buffet.
Glad to hear it's being renovated.

I guess you just were there at a bad time when it was crowded. Yeah the rooms need to be renovated, but the history of the place and the way it looks in the lobby is amazing. I was also there in January and it was priced right when I stayed there (compared to any other New York City property, New York City is expensive). And as far as noise, this is NYC! Not much to do about that. It's not Madison, Wisconsin, i can assure you.

Sounds like you would be happier in a more modern hotel. The people who actually lived there (not just a hotel room); Herbert Hoover, Cole Porter, Grace Kelly, Frank Sinatra, let alone MacArthur, and Eisenhower. Obama stays there whenever he goes to NYC. The history of that place. But the Waldorf Astoria is amazing and I will always try and stay there if I can. http://broadway.showtickets.com/arti...astoria-hotel/

Last edited by lbotez; Nov 22, 2016 at 10:04 am
Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond,Bonvoy Platinum,Shangri-La Golden Circle Jade,LH SEN,AZ Gold,VS Elevate Gold
The Waldorf Astoria NYC - shattered illusions

I purposely made the title of this thread dramatic, because a (little) drama occurred, when on a recent trip to NYC I stayed at the Waldorf Astoria.

I will mention all the items that really got my goat, in order of... appearance:
  1. unfriendly person at checkin
  2. no recognition of status
  3. no upgrade at checkin, no explanation
  4. dirty old room with hair in washbasin, broken plugs/aircon panel hanging off the wall, dust all over the place, dirty net curtains
  5. complained about the above, got my room changed (with upgrade)
  6. got offered some beverage tokens as an apology, also (took them)
  7. new room is MUCH better but still old, tired, fingerprints on the window, missing (fallen off) bits in the shower... sigh
  8. got to the bar, sat by the marble low wall - there is half an inch of dust all over - I point it out discreetly to the barman, it is gone the day after

At this point, although I had explained to the shift manager with whom I complained (immediately after seeing my dirty first room, and who appeared shocked, changed it and offered me the drinks vouchers), I was just going away with my "broken dreams" - my mental image of timeless elegance had been shattered at checkin and could not be recovered, but whatever.

So, all of a sudden, they upped the ante: on the day of checkout, I called around 10 AM to ask if it would be possible to check out at 12.30 instead of 12 noon (I have diamond status, and I know it's only 30 minutes, I was being super-polite), and the conversation goes like this (verbatim, only names withheld):

• "good morning Ms. xxxx, this is yyyy, how may I assist you?"
  • "oh, good morning yyyy, happy new year, I was just wondering if it would be possible for me to check out at 12.30 instead of 12?"
  • "oh thank you Ms. xxxx, I am sure it will be no problem, in any case let me transfer you to the front desk"
  • "thanks yyyy"
  • BRIEF HOLD
  • "yes hello?"
  • "(uh?) oh, good morning, happy new year, I was just wondering if it would be possible for me to check out at 12.30 instead of 12?"
  • "yes no problem"
  • PHONE IS SLAMMED DOWN BEFORE MY "THANK YOU" HAS TIME TO ARRIVE...
  • PICK UP THE PHONE AGAIN
  • "hi Ms. xxxx, it's yyyy, were there any issues with the connection?"
  • "hi yyyy, no issues with the connection, however this is what happened [relate above conversation] - now, I know my request was simple and the answer was what I expected, but as to the how... can you please let the front desk manager know that I do not want to be disturbed while I am packing, but I will come and discuss it with them when I check out? Thanks".

Well, as to the state of the rooms, I know the place is closing in 6 weeks' time for total refurbishment and needs it badly - but this is no excuse for all the DIRT, and not replacing broken bits, and the dirty wallpaper hanging off the wall in the corridors (send someone round with a stick of glue, FFS! you are still charging full price for the rooms!).

As for their manners...

ho hum.

Anyway, I did complain (at 12.05, by that time I had steam coming out of my nostrils like an angry dragon and did not linger), I discussed it with the front desk manager, and told him that my whole stay had been a BIG disappointment and that basically I would expect better of a Motel 6.

Happy new year.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:24 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Did you get any sleep? Bad location? Nothing else to do in NYC but to spot dust? Cost?
Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TTL
Did you get any sleep? Bad location? Nothing else to do in NYC but to spot dust? Cost?
LOL, hilarious!
Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:35 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond,Bonvoy Platinum,Shangri-La Golden Circle Jade,LH SEN,AZ Gold,VS Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by TTL
I did sleep. the location is fine. if I am offered drinks vouchers for the hotel bar, I will use them at the hotel bar - what I do at other times is irrelevant for this thread. the cost is around $250/night - i stayed with hotel points, and paid for a PREMIUM ROOM REWARD.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
This hotel is about to close down. Like they are going to spend a dime on it until that date. They likely don't care if you leave a bad review - they are done.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:57 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by adpucci
I purposely made the title of this thread dramatic, because a (little) drama occurred, when on a recent trip to NYC I stayed at the Waldorf Astoria.

I will mention all the items that really got my goat, in order of... appearance:
  1. unfriendly person at checkin
  2. no recognition of status
  3. no upgrade at checkin, no explanation
  4. dirty old room with hair in washbasin, broken plugs/aircon panel hanging off the wall, dust all over the place, dirty net curtains
  5. complained about the above, got my room changed (with upgrade)
  6. got offered some beverage tokens as an apology, also (took them)
  7. new room is MUCH better but still old, tired, fingerprints on the window, missing (fallen off) bits in the shower... sigh
  8. got to the bar, sat by the marble low wall - there is half an inch of dust all over - I point it out discreetly to the barman, it is gone the day after

At this point, although I had explained to the shift manager with whom I complained (immediately after seeing my dirty first room, and who appeared shocked, changed it and offered me the drinks vouchers), I was just going away with my "broken dreams" - my mental image of timeless elegance had been shattered at checkin and could not be recovered, but whatever.

So, all of a sudden, they upped the ante: on the day of checkout, I called around 10 AM to ask if it would be possible to check out at 12.30 instead of 12 noon (I have diamond status, and I know it's only 30 minutes, I was being super-polite), and the conversation goes like this (verbatim, only names withheld):
  • "good morning Ms. xxxx, this is yyyy, how may I assist you?"
  • "oh, good morning yyyy, happy new year, I was just wondering if it would be possible for me to check out at 12.30 instead of 12?"
  • "oh thank you Ms. xxxx, I am sure it will be no problem, in any case let me transfer you to the front desk"
  • "thanks yyyy"
  • BRIEF HOLD
  • "yes hello?"
  • "(uh?) oh, good morning, happy new year, I was just wondering if it would be possible for me to check out at 12.30 instead of 12?"
  • "yes no problem"
  • PHONE IS SLAMMED DOWN BEFORE MY "THANK YOU" HAS TIME TO ARRIVE...
  • PICK UP THE PHONE AGAIN
  • "hi Ms. xxxx, it's yyyy, were there any issues with the connection?"
  • "hi yyyy, no issues with the connection, however this is what happened [relate above conversation] - now, I know my request was simple and the answer was what I expected, but as to the how... can you please let the front desk manager know that I do not want to be disturbed while I am packing, but I will come and discuss it with them when I check out? Thanks".

Well, as to the state of the rooms, I know the place is closing in 6 weeks' time for total refurbishment and needs it badly - but this is no excuse for all the DIRT, and not replacing broken bits, and the dirty wallpaper hanging off the wall in the corridors (send someone round with a stick of glue, FFS! you are still charging full price for the rooms!).

As for their manners...

ho hum.

Anyway, I did complain (at 12.05, by that time I had steam coming out of my nostrils like an angry dragon and did not linger), I discussed it with the front desk manager, and told him that my whole stay had been a BIG disappointment and that basically I would expect better of a Motel 6.

Happy new year.
One question? Did you research this property before booking?

Is it possible your expectations were not in line with the reported sub par experiences with this property?
Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by KENNECTED
One question? Did you research this property before booking?

Is it possible your expectations were not in line with the reported sub par experiences with this property?
hahaha you're absolutely right, I did NOT look for reviews, I just trusted myth :-)

and to the other person who said "they're closing down": yup, but they could still clean the place (or charge half price and bring your own dusters?). also, that thread quoted goes back a number of years.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by adpucci
hahaha you're absolutely right, I did NOT look for reviews, I just trusted myth :-)

and to the other person who said "they're closing down": yup, but they could still clean the place (or charge half price and bring your own dusters?). also, that thread quoted goes back a number of years.
Ahhh...yeah thats the purpose of reviewing master threads (on any FT forum, in particular the hotel forums) is that you can see how a property operates on many different levels over a number of years. A FT member can read experiences from various people at various levels over a period of time.

As told to me when I was a new member of FlyerTalk. FT 101: read a Property master thread before booking and always ask if anyone has had any recent experiences. If there are specific elite question, "late checkout", "Gold/Platinum breakfast", etc., check those threads as well.

It help to keep "expectations" in check.

Hope this helps for the future.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
So it's a mythical experience then........voila, as per the OP.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 11:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
So it's a mythical experience then........voila, as per the OP.
LOL

Well hopefully my suggestion will help with future bookings. Although the OP has been on FT for some time, occasionally members need a gentle reminder to research before booking.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 11:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Experiences at the WA are so mixed, and it's such a crapshoot whether you get a tolerable room . . . I would never stay there.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
The points required for the hotels in NYC are just outrageous, I would never book a premium award at the WA or any other property as they typically cost well north of 90,000 points/night.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Based on my one experience at the Waldorf Astoria a few years ago I can certainly understand the poster. Even knowing its a mixed bag based on reviews, you still have a perception that is loftier than it should be. And yes, it is a big let down. I personally couldn't believe it was that bad (I will admit I did thoroughly enjoy my time down at the Bull & Bear bar, that is an experience) If you have the same experience at say a Hampton Inn, your level of disappointment is not the same.

The other thing is that a lot of the positive reviews that you will see in New York Waldorf Astoria collection of reviews tend to be for the Towers, which is a completely different hotel and experience. So you read the reviews of the Towers and might be under the impression that might be you when in reality unless you are really lucky in the upgrade department, it won't be you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.