Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waldorf Astoria New York {US-NY}

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2016, 6:22 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
Why do you return to the WA year after year? I am not arguing with you, I have never stayed there, but I am curious what you find at the WA that you do not get at the RC or IC, for example. I really like historic hotels, however, generally go to New York with my family of 6, so 3 rooms starts to become uneconomical. I have generally ended up at the DT Times Square where I may only need one room.
Well, I would not stay at a non-hHonors hotel simply because I want to collect points to maintain status/spend them elsewhere. The WA has a unique feeling to it. Yes, it is old (and it shows) but this is what makes it special (for us)...it's like you go back in times. Benefits are non-existent (but breakfast/lounge are not standard benefits for WA properties anyway); however, they do try to allocate the best rooms within the category booked to Diamond members. The NYC WA is a huge hotel, so anyone seeking being pampered and made feel special (just because they're Diamond) won't find it here. The WA stands out from among generic Hhonors properties in NYC for us.
Old May 24, 2016, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
Why do you return to the WA year after year? I am not arguing with you, I have never stayed there, but I am curious what you find at the WA that you do not get at the RC or IC, for example. I really like historic hotels, however, generally go to New York with my family of 6, so 3 rooms starts to become uneconomical. I have generally ended up at the DT Times Square where I may only need one room.
You can't really questions someone's taste in hotels; that's just personal preference. For example in Chicago I'll take the Palmer House over the WA, the MO, the IC, whatever. I just like the place.

And for some people, being "economical" is not a concern. We tend to (over)emphasize perks and value here in FT. Most luxury travelers just pay, and to many the exact number just doesn't matter.
Old May 24, 2016, 8:43 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I'm right in the middle on the W=A... I don't necessarily see the value of a standard room with minimal perks, BUT I do definitely see the charm of the property. I don't have much trouble with the lack of breakfast/lounge since the Diamond 2-drink cert (used at Bull & Bear) is one of my favorite parts of the stay (I like great cocktails but usually won't pay $15 for one).

I've found the times it makes sense for me to book here are single-night stays where I can book a suite or towers room on a corp rate for not much more than a regular room... the last time I stayed it was $229 for a standard room, but $289 for a suite which ended up upgraded to a Towers Suite. Not cheap by any means, but also a very solid value given the property, room type, and location. I won't do it every time (my next NYC stay is at the Doubletree Metropolitan about a block away for $116/night) but there are times that things align to make it a worthwhile splurge, though I'll probably spend less at some other properties I'd like to try (Millennium Hilton, Conrad, a couple of the new Brooklyn properties) before I head back.
Old May 24, 2016, 8:52 am

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Then stay out of San Francisco
Don't know when it happened (crept up on me), but seems like "craft" cocktails are now $20 standard.
Have to do all of my drinking in the East Bay (Oakland) now.

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
(I like great cocktails but usually won't pay $15 for one).
Old May 24, 2016, 8:55 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
Have to do all of my drinking in the East Bay (Oakland) now.
I think I'd have to be drunk first (especially after staying at the Hilton OAK once)...
Old May 24, 2016, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by arlflyer
You can't really questions someone's taste in hotels; that's just personal preference. For example in Chicago I'll take the Palmer House over the WA, the MO, the IC, whatever. I just like the place.

And for some people, being "economical" is not a concern. We tend to (over)emphasize perks and value here in FT. Most luxury travelers just pay, and to many the exact number just doesn't matter.
Yes, as I said, I wasn't trying to argue, just trying to see what the positives are from the perspective of someone who seems to have a passion for the WA.
Actually, economical probably wasn't the best word. I don't see my children getting the enjoyment out of historical hotels that my wife and I would, so it is a waste to get three rooms at the Waldorf versus 2 or 1 elsewhere. Ideally, I think my wife and I would stay at the Waldorf and the kids could stay at the Doubletree We would get the atmosphere we would like and they would get the cookies that they like!
Old May 24, 2016, 9:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
the last time I stayed it was $229 for a standard room, but $289 for a suite which ended up upgraded to a Towers Suite. Not cheap by any means
I'd consider that dirt cheap for NYC.

I suspect they fill lots of rooms at this property at fairly low rates . . . it has over 1400 rooms.

One of the things I recall from my stays years ago is that they nickel and dime you for everything here, so the nightly rate is only the starting point . . . .

The public spaces are impressive and the location is excellent if you want to be midtown. But there are just so many other places I would prefer to stay in Manhattan.
Old May 24, 2016, 9:04 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
They frankly don't care. They make their money by selling their history and their iconic image to people who have never heard of HiltonHHonors.

The owners do spend to keep up The Waldorf Towers, the adjacent hotel within a hotel. The Towers is the home hotel of the USA's permanent delegation to the United Nations, and has elaborate security which makes it suitable for the US president and other heads of state.

Actually that has changed since the Chinese have purchased the Waldorf. Several articles noted they will be moving somewhere else for security intelligence reasons (aka they think the Chinese are going to bug the place)
Old May 24, 2016, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
I'd consider that dirt cheap for NYC.
I'd consider my $116/night rate this week at the DT Metropolitan a block north of the W=A to be dirt cheap for NYC, and not a bad property either. That $289/night rate would have been GOOD for the regular suite I'd booked, but turned out to be EXCELLENT for the Towers suite I was upgraded to.
Old May 24, 2016, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Kacee
I don't know why people keep blaming the condition of this property on the Chinese (have my suspicions though).

This property was crap twenty years ago when it was owned by Hilton. Anbang bought it less than two years ago.
This is SPT on.
Old May 25, 2016, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
This is SPT on.
I suspect it's mostly disappointment that the new owners seem not to be committed to major improvements.

When it became clear that the 80 year.old Palace Hotel in San Francisco was in declining shape, the Japanese ownership coommitted to a $150 million (in 1988 dollars) rebuilding, which included the closing of the hotel for two years.

The W=A structure is now 85 years old. I'm not suggesting a closing for renovations, but you'd think a phased approach to revitalizing the rooms is overdue.
Old May 25, 2016, 4:55 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev

The W=A structure is now 85 years old. I'm not suggesting a closing for renovations, but you'd think a phased approach to revitalizing the rooms is overdue.
The public areas and the exterior of the hotel have been renovated recently. As for the rooms - it seems that some people want them to be what the hotel (and many of its guests) do not want them to be. I think the hotel will lose its charm if it becomes all high-tech or over-the-top polished.
Old May 25, 2016, 9:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Andriyko
As for the rooms - it seems that some people want them to be what the hotel (and many of its guests) do not want them to be. I think the hotel will lose its charm if it becomes all high-tech or over-the-top polished.
Functioning toilets would be nice

You don't have to go high-tech to have rooms that will justify premium prices. NYC is full of examples. The Pen, for example, where room rates are on average probably 2-3x WA's.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 8:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
As a diamond got suite upgrades on my last 2 visits.

For a 1 night midweek stay booked the lowest level queen bed room and got upgraded to a large suite overlooking Park Ave on the 14th floor. Even had a fireplace. The rooms were large, but bathroom was tiny. I checked in late at night after 10:00 pm.

For a 2 night weekend stay got upgraded to a smaller suite on the 6th floor with no view, overlooking a roof top, but with a larger bathroom. My original booked room was a Luxury King Room. I checked in early a little after 1:00 pm.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 6:57 am

Programs: Various airline, hotel and credit card programs
Originally Posted by Andriyko
Well, I would not stay at a non-hHonors hotel simply because I want to collect points to maintain status/spend them elsewhere. The WA has a unique feeling to it. Yes, it is old (and it shows) but this is what makes it special (for us)...it's like you go back in times. Benefits are non-existent (but breakfast/lounge are not standard benefits for WA properties anyway); however, they do try to allocate the best rooms within the category booked to Diamond members. The NYC WA is a huge hotel, so anyone seeking being pampered and made feel special (just because they're Diamond) won't find it here. The WA stands out from among generic Hhonors properties in NYC for us.
+1
I could not agree more. In early August I am returning for 1 night only (yes, it is easy from Montreal) and it is always a trip down the memory lane.
I have ordered a movie Weekend at The Waldorf (1945) and actually enjoy once in a while to travel to a land of fantasy to escape the crazy world we live in. Like many said before, to each his own.
I have no advance expectations whatsoever. I prefer to avoid disappointment. If anything unexpected comes my way, it is an extra bonus and a pleasant surprise.
Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.