Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

What is the Difference between a Hampton Inn and a Hilton Garden Inn?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the Difference between a Hampton Inn and a Hilton Garden Inn?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2019, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
After 20 days (come this Wednesday), at Hampton Inn Dubai airport, this will be my first and last visit to a Hampton Inn, if I can help it. Even though the hotel is newer, the location is tired and the food is tired. I finally went to the bar last night, and what a waste of money. Atmosphere dead. Prices ridiculous for even happy hour. And all the cruise ship passengers come here. Uggg. Two more days and I'm out of here.
It was so bad you stayed for 20 days?
What is wrong with cruise ship passengers?
Old Dec 9, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
HGI's are a step up from Hampton, so it depends on how much. For the corporate guys its free, for me out of pocket it depends as Garden Inns they are you a made to order breakfast or the points? Some properties offer both and those I keep in my top drawer as the properties to say at. The cheap ones that make you choose well, I try not to do repeat business and generally a little messier than when one is good to me. The Hampton by Hilton in Dubai is a great example of a Hampton that is far above expectations like the Hampton by Cancun airport. The Hampton by the Airport in Instanbul or the one on Bridgeport Road in Richmond, BC well they suck.

The standards are the same for all but the owners sure make a big difference, both good & bad.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
I prefer HGIs as the breakfast is better.

Watching people eat those eggs at Hamptons...turns my stomach a little bit.

That said. I generally hop between those two brands most often and I don't have a complaint either way. Most of the old ones are renovated now so they are all decent.

I just wish all hotels would get rid of lodgenet
Old Dec 9, 2019, 1:53 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
with all US chains---hotels outside of US/Canada are different.

Hampton=fairfield
HGI=courtyards

individual hotels in special locations tend to be different, if one of these is in a downtown location or popular travel destination they may offer more and rates can be higher because hotel location matters.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 2:18 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
The Hampton Inn in Panama City Beach FL has a bar and a paid parking garage. They used to not charge for parking but now they want $15 a night. I was surprised to see a bar in a Hampton, but it makes sense for a beach front resort.

The Hamptons I have stayed at in Germany use real plates and utensils for breakfast. The food seems a notch above Hamptons in the US.

The Hilton Gardens I have stayed at in Germany have breakfasts that are a few notches above the ones in the US.

Newer Hampton Inn and Suites in the US have microwaves and minifridges in the rooms.

I have stayed at one Hilton Garden in the US that has been renovated to a new design standard, and I can't wait for this standard to be applied across the brand. It was a very nice room in Columbus OH (University).
Old Dec 10, 2019, 11:59 am

MyWay Hotel Benefits:

HGI = 750 points if you opt-out of the breakfast.
Hampton Inn = 250 points.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 4:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
The in room safe in HGI's in Europe is a big reason I always choose them over Hampton Inn's. That and the better breakfasts as well. Lots of the new ones where they are side by side I see the Hampton rates higher which is always a bit of a head scratcher
Old Dec 10, 2019, 5:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond for life, Bonvoy Titanium for Life, Delta Million Miler, Delta Platinum
In my experience. HGI usually exceeds HI. Not always, but in a crunch I’d always take the HGI
Old Dec 10, 2019, 10:53 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
The Made to Order breakfast for Gold or Higher is a difference maker for me at the HGI. Having said that, a nice new Hampton (Leavenworth,Wa) is a solid choice in the right market but on those mornings I eat out because the Hampton breakfast is terrible.

Echoing what others have said, The New HGI Model is Gorgeous and modern. The food can be worth staying in for, even at dinner. Example: (Wenatchee, Wa). A Phenomenal flagship modern HGI.

A New HIE (union gap & Moses lake ,wa) is a solid choice imho and I’ll actually have a little breakfast there usually. The newest Holiday inn’s (Bellingham , Wa) are very nice.

A new Fairfield (East wenatchee & Rochester Wa) is a great stay aside from breakfast. Four point by Sheraton (free Made to order breakfast for elite) will get my business in many markets. .

I love breakfast & All German & Netherlands properties (where applicable) from above list have exceptionally superior breakfasts to their US counterparts. Real honeycomb, Cold cuts, cheeses, far superior breads, Real bacon (not paper thin), Great sausages and wursts, Juices, Coffees. Way way better.

Happy Travels.

These are my go to properties and I’m over 150 nights combined this year.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
For me the biggest difference is that HGIs have room service. Can't count how many times I've arrived at around 7 PM, collapsed on the bed, and ordered a Garden Burger, Cobb Salad, or pretty decent Salmon dish.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 12:21 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I find Hilton Garden Inns a step up from all Hampton Inns except very new construction HIs. Better features include:

- Full bar with dinner and alcohol
- Better breakfast and saying breakfast is "free" for only Golds and Diamonds it's usually emptier
- Slightly nicer rooms

That said, Hilton has made some really nice new Hampton Inns that narrow the gap considerably.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 5:42 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lcohen999
I prefer HGIs as the breakfast is better.

Watching people eat those eggs at Hamptons...turns my stomach a little bit.

That said. I generally hop between those two brands most often and I don't have a complaint either way. Most of the old ones are renovated now so they are all decent.

I just wish all hotels would get rid of lodgenet
My wife gags at the thought of the bag eggs at HI. We once were trying to eat breakfast and the hostess came out of the back with a bag of scrambled eggs, cut the corner off and squeezed the contents into the chafing dish getting the last morsels out by milking the bag like liking a cow. Wife bailed out and asked to go somewhere else for breakfast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.