Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

What is the Difference between a Hampton Inn and a Hilton Garden Inn?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the Difference between a Hampton Inn and a Hilton Garden Inn?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2005, 3:41 pm

Programs: Hotels: Golden Airlines: B6 Mosiac
Originally Posted by GeorgeJ
Are you including in the "hot item" the yummy chemical pattie that is supposed to be eggs? Yuck.

The sausage patties are usually OK. But the French Toast sticks are usually hard & dried out.
How the HECK do they get off calling those things "Farm Fresh Eggs" on the what's for breakfast tommorowo board?!

Personally I love the Sauges gravy and biscuts. Of course that's just me!
Old Nov 22, 2005, 4:38 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Princeton HI serves dinner - on the house! But, I think that is because nothing is available near the property.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K;
Has anyone stayed in the NYC HGI Times Square?

They have a $179. rate in late Feb when I need to be there. I haven't seen a lower rate in Manhattan and I have done some looking.
I have never booked a HGI before as I had no idea what they were. This thread has given me a pretty good insight as to what to expect.
The single person rate is the same as two..so spouse does stay free.
Hot breakfast (as a Gold) sounds good.

Appreciate some input if anyone has any.

Last edited by grayland; Nov 23, 2005 at 10:01 am
Old Nov 23, 2005, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by fromYXU
Princeton HI serves dinner - on the house!
Actually, there's a great HI in the Atlanta suburbs that puts out a cooler of Buds and some hot hors d'oeuvres in chafing dishes at happy hour. Not what I'd call dinner, but it's enough to live on and a very nice gesture.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 2:51 am

Programs: UA, HHonors, MarriotRewards
HGI approx equal to Marriot Courtyard
Hampton worse than Marriot Fairfield Inn in most cases - i.e. glorified motel
Old Dec 31, 2005, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by spyke
My experience with Hampton versus Fairfield is the exact opposite. I've stayed in a few Hamptons that were in dire need of improvement, but most have been pretty nice. I usually hit Hamptons in my trips to smaller communities where I find they're often the best choice.

On the other hand, I've stayed in only a few really nice Fairfields, and a lot of ones that had some serious issues. I also think Hampton's beds are generally far superior to the 4" thick piece of foam that most Fairfields call a "mattress."

When it comes to Hilton Garden Inn versus a Courtyard, I like both. The improvements Marriott has been rolling out to the Courtyard concept are great, and put it more on the same level as HGI. Before these improvements, I'd always choose a HGI over a Courtyard because the HGIs were almost always newer, and included things like a microwave and refrigerator in every room, and the pantry for convenience items. However the Courtyard modernization is adding similar features, plus new, nicer beds and furnishings in the rooms. Now I'm happy to stay at either one, although my HHonors Diamond status usually pushes me in the Hilton direction since I'm just a silver at Marriott.

Last edited by ssullivan; Dec 31, 2005 at 10:29 am
Old Dec 31, 2005, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, working my way back up to AS and Marriott elite status post-baby!
Originally Posted by spyke
No! No! No!

I'm a HH Diamond and a newly-minted Marriott Gold (when my stay from Tue/Wed posts), and due to my company's travel policy, I almost always stay in the lower-end properties for both chains.

I would equate Courtyards with Hamptons. In fact, I've seen more outstanding Hamptons than outstanding Courtyards. I've even stayed in a couple of post-renovation Courtyards, and haven't been overly impressed. I also prefer Hamptons for personal travel, as breakfast is free.

HGIs are well above the Hampton/Courtyard standard. In fact, I've stayed in some full-service Marriotts that aren't as nice as your average HGI.

Fairfield Inns are glorified motels. The main advantage of Fairfields over Motel 6 is high-speed Internet. I stayed in my last Fairfield Inn back in August and refuse to stay in one again unless there are no other Marriott or Hilton properties in town.

What I do like about Fairfields and Courtyards, compared to Hamptons, is that you get 10 pts per dollar at them, compared to 5 pts per dollar at Hamptons. That's probably the only reason I'll stick with Marriott.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 3:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UNITED 2K HILTON DIAMOND
I like the scambled eggs and waffles vs the egglike mcdonald like disks (get rid of them) it doesnt save any money. Eggs are cheap, hampton should at least make them taste good. OTOH fresh biscuits with those egg THINGS smothered with sausage gravy is quite good, as long as you let it soak in for a while. I think the basic difference is not in the two hotels..but in your brains... and not picking a bad one. research each hotel before you book and dont book a dump.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 4:57 pm

Location: ORF & AUS; I have an ex-wife and and an ex-house in both cities.
Programs: AA Gold, DL GM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by craz
Even Hil thinks this way thats why they give Only 250 miles while all other type props you get 500. The good part is you get a Stay credit even at HIs, and there are alot more HIs then HGIs, so that helps in being able to remain or get Status, something that SPG is missing,IMO. MR has Fairfield Inns among a few others.
Hamptons only get 100 miles on the Double Dip, not 250.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA1K, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
In my experience most HGIs are nicer than HIs. But having said that, the HI at Boston Crosstown Center next to Boston Medical Center in Boston is the nicest HI I have been in, and is better than some Hiltons!
Old Dec 31, 2005, 8:45 pm

Programs: AAExecPlat MM, DL MM, HH Platinum
And don't forget real glasses at HGI v. cheap plastic glasses at HI
Old Dec 31, 2005, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by Flyer23
What I do like about Fairfields and Courtyards, compared to Hamptons, is that you get 10 pts per dollar at them, compared to 5 pts per dollar at Hamptons. That's probably the only reason I'll stick with Marriott.
You get 10 points with Hamptons. You get 5 points with Marriott Residence Inn.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by nova474
You get 10 points with Hamptons. You get 5 points with Marriott Residence Inn.
And Marriott TownePlace Suites are 5 points per dollar as well.

The only reduction in points/miles earnings with Hamptons is if you're doing HHonors points and fixed miles, where you get only 100 miles instead of the 500 you get with most other Hilton family brands.

I always do HHonors points only (the regular 10 points plus 5 bonus Double Dip points) for Hampton stays, which does not have an earnings reduction for Hamptons.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 10:43 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
I stayed there in November. Formerly a Quality Inn, I believe, but it has been thoroughly renovated. I had a good stay.

Originally Posted by grayland
Has anyone stayed in the NYC HGI Times Square?

They have a $179. rate in late Feb when I need to be there. I haven't seen a lower rate in Manhattan and I have done some looking.
I have never booked a HGI before as I had no idea what they were. This thread has given me a pretty good insight as to what to expect.
The single person rate is the same as two..so spouse does stay free.
Hot breakfast (as a Gold) sounds good.

Appreciate some input if anyone has any.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CO Gold, US, Delta, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hyatt
Originally Posted by fromYXU
Princeton HI serves dinner - on the house! But, I think that is because nothing is available near the property.
Actually, there are quite a few restaurants within 1-3 miles of the Princeton HI -- south on Route 1 and also in Princeton itself. Try Lahiere's, Mediterra or the Ferry House in Princeton. If you like Chinese food, Sunny Garden just off Route 1 is excellent. If you want a restaurant that's really close by, try Mikado (in the Westin, formerly Marriott) or Tre Piani in Forrestal Village.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.