Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Best International Hilton Rec Please!

Old Dec 8, 2019, 10:22 am
Original Poster

So my husband and I just hit diamond status. We don’t travel internationally much and have a week to get away in April/May.
I’m looking for your FAVORITE Euro-Hilton, bonus if it’s extra amazing for diamond.
Were completely flexible in location, my preference would be 5 nights in one location without hopping around and close to a city center so we can explore and shop and eat (were big foodies).
ETA: would consider Asia too if you have an amazing rec there, just longer travel
awesomeness2 likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
We would go to Rome Cavalleri, as we will be in May. But you are going to get a million suggestions...
Old Dec 8, 2019, 12:12 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
I am afraid that you might find yourself disappointed with Diamond benefits as a reason to pick a destination. For example, the best treatment I received as a Diamond was in a suburban Hilton outside of Toronto, but I doubt you will want to spend 5 days in April there.

Where do you want to go? What do you want to do? Then pick the hotel. If there are upgrades available and you get them, then great. If not, you will be in a fun city anyway so who cares? If its an amazing European or Asian food city, do you really want to pick at executive lounge food?
Old Dec 8, 2019, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I would not choose a destination solely on Diamond benefits ( ie if it is a suite upgrade you are looking for you will be probably be disaponinted).

Howver good hotels with very good lounges ( which you would get access to) and are wonderful cities to explore are

Conrad Tokyo
Conrad Osaka
Conrad Hong Kong
Conrad Singapore

Regards

TBS
Old Dec 8, 2019, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, AA plt, HH LTD, MR tit/LTP at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
The Hilton Malta is IME the tops in Europe for diamonds. Great upgrades, an amazing executive lounge and stellar staff add to the already stunning environs.
redeyedonkey likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; AerClub Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond
It depends, I would choose first which country/city you prefer to visit.

I agree with previous post, never expect a suite upgrade, I have been upgraded occasionally, but it always based on hotel occupancy and usually easier to ger for a shorter stay.
I had some good stay, most notable in Europe:
Hilton Prague
Hilton Budapest
Hilton Istanbul kozyatagi
Hilton London bankside
Hilton Berlin
Old Dec 8, 2019, 2:24 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
Like BlueZebra kicked it off with "you are going to get a million suggestions..." and yes, you should certainly pick the destination FIRST, then factor in hotel choices.

If you haven't been around Europe much, it would be a shame to not check off the majors (London, Paris, Rome) just for the obvious contributions to culture and history in that triumverate, but if you've hit those already, then start branching out.

Personally, I'd toss in the mix: Barcelona. That is a very fun city. A huge go-to for a mix of most everything other Eurocities offer, all in walking distance (or easy mass transit). Architecture is to Spain like painting is to France. Just driving around looking at crazy cool buildings is a blast. Food and wine are top notch. Art everywhere. English is not a problem if you don't sprechen the Espana. It's a walking/eating city. Easy metro (buy a multi-day pass, and use the subways - they take you everywhere you'd want to be). Food markets that are a delight to wander through and grab snacks. Tapas bars. Cafes/coffee is excellent. Walking through Park Guell's statues and art... Mercat de la Boqueria market with the wild colors of saffron vendors and multihued juice cups... Churros y chocolate at midnight after a stroll down las Ramblas? Yes, please.

Hotels: The Diagonal Mar Hilton and the Downtown financial district one (not the other recently rebranded one that's kinda lame) are the two to consider. Diamond upgrades and good service at each.

Between these, for a vacation, I'd stay at the Diagonal Mar -- sea views from the lounge and rooms make it the better property (the downtown financial district one is a nice business Hilton, less pool/fun/views/etc.). Most Euro breakfasts blow away U.S. properties so while it's no Cavaleri level excess buffet, it's still plenty good.
Either are right smack on the hop-on-hop-off bus lines, which are a great way to do an overview of the whole city (it's a huge city) with some explanation: then go forth on your own to discover the nooks and crannies yourself. Diagonal isn't going to floor you like an Asian Conrad might in some areas, but I've always had a solid stay there. I'm tossing my two cents out there on "where's a good Euro vacation where we can stay in one place, make it easy, have excellent weather, food, and culture."

TDM
bitterproffit and Zurich like this.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, WN, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HY, Global Entry
Our points stay at the Hilton Molino Stucky in Venice was absolutely amazing. It is in a quiet area on Giudecca Island, which is a welcome escape from the congested areas of Venice. With diamond status, they gave us a beautiful and very comfortable large 2 bedroom suite for our family that overlooked the waterway in front of the hotel. The rooms had real windows that opened up completely. We were lucky to be there when the weather was crisp and clear, and the fresh air with sounds of water lapping in the waterway in front of our windows was intoxicating. It was a quick ride to other parts of Venice on either the hotel water shuttle or the vaporetto. There is a also a fantastic rooftop pool and bar with the best views of Venice. I have stayed in hundreds of Hilton properties and this stay was the most memorable. But I am sure you will have plenty of other great choices in Europe. Good luck!
Old Dec 8, 2019, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by bitterproffit
I am afraid that you might find yourself disappointed with Diamond benefits as a reason to pick a destination. For example, the best treatment I received as a Diamond was in a suburban Hilton outside of Toronto, but I doubt you will want to spend 5 days in April there.
Don't want to derail, but which one?

I'm in Toronto about once a year and where I stay is completely open each time.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond for life, Bonvoy Titanium for Life, Delta Million Miler, Delta Platinum
My two all time Hilton favorites would be:

Waldorf Amsterdam

Conrad Washington D.C.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
+1 for Venice, and add Istanbul.
catawba likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MissJ
Don't want to derail, but which one?

I'm in Toronto about once a year and where I stay is completely open each time.
Hilton Markham. Huge suite, chocolate covered strawberries. Not sure of a lounge as I was always working late, fancy breakfast. This was a few years ago back when diamonds were not so common. I was clueless that it was my diamond status getting me the perks as I had earned diamond through hundreds of nights at Hampton Inns.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 6:57 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond
Excellent stays as Diamond at these hotels, with breakfast in main restaurant and great rooms.

My best lounge experiences:

Hilton Vienna Plaza - stayed 5 nights on points
Conrad Singapore
Hilton Kuching

other very good experiences

Hilton Istanbul Bosphorus
Hilton Saigon Opera
Hilton Izmir (but you only need a couple of nights here)
Doubletree Kuala Lumpur

Avoid the US - lounges have bad food and you have to pay for overpriced booze

Last edited by tobegold; Dec 8, 2019 at 7:16 pm
Old Dec 8, 2019, 7:08 pm

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
Conrad Tokyo is our favorite ex-USA Hilton property, better than the Park Hyatt. Didn't get an upgrade as a diamond, though.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 1:15 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
I think you are setting up yourself for disappointment and, let's be honest, lost money if you want to go on your first European trip based solely on how an hotel treat people with some status in a reward program. Pick a destination based on your interest, curiosity and envy and then we can help you narrow it down to a few hotels.
eponymous_coward likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.