Hilton Barbados Resort
Needham's Point, St. Michael, Bridgetown BB 11000, Barbados
TEL: +1-246-426-0200 FAX: +1-246-434-5770
Email [email protected]
Link to Hilton web page.

Parking: free

Check in: 4:00 pm (strict), check out 11:00 am

Smoking: No smoking

Pets or service animals: No (Barbados law permits this)

Location on the southwestern point with Carlisle Bay on the West and the Southern Shote on the South, on the Caribbean Sea . Near Bridgetown and its cruise port, just coastsude from the Garrison.

BGI / Grantley Adams International Airport is 11 miles away (~30 minutes, but urban traffic can be slow at times - add 10-15 minutes if work or schoolkids rush hours), taxi cost ~$25 USD.

The property consists of two connected north-south oriented towers, the eastern Lighthouse Tower with the Bernard St. John Suite and the Fort Tower (Executive Lounge on floor 8 in the Fort Tower). All rooms face east and south (toward Oistins and distantly toward BGI / Grantley Adams International Airport.

Rooms all face westward; Fort Tower overlooks pools area, Lighthouse Tower overlooks Lighthouse and D. J. dance area, looking toward Oistins. A few end suites in the Fort Tower overlook scenic Carlisle Bay. Beaches include very calm Carlisle Bay, and south Pebbles Beach with a rock sea wall with inlet and small bay. Rooms are being refurbished (since 2015, continues Nov 2017).

Floors 8 and 6 are designated Executive floors. Safes in rooms. Refrigerators (not mini-bars) in room. Executive rooms include bathrobes, apparently not slippers. Peter Thomas Roth amenities in baths, H collection linens.

Executive Lounge: 8th floor west, Fort Tower, card access. Gorgeous Carlisle Bay views. Basic Continental breakfast; cakes at 3 pm, very basic canapés at 5 pm; coffee, teas, soft drinks, water - alcoholic drinks after 5 for sale only. Crowded, not especially comfortable. $30 Bd / $15 USD add on for hot cooked breakfast in Lighthouse Terrace Restaurant for Lounge-eligible giests, Continental (cold offerings) breakfast free for Lounge eligible guests.

Amenities (link):
Children's club and activities (ground floor)

Eforea Spa

Precor Fitness facility

Pools, beaches, beach chairs and umbrellas
Restaurants (link):
Lighthouse Terrace: Open 6:30 am - 10:00 pm for breakfast, lunch and dinner. A la carte and buffet.

The Grille: Open dinner only Tuesday to Saturday from 6.30pm to 10.00 pm. Closed on Sundays and Mondays. Reservations best.

Water's Edge Bar : tables with umbrellas, drinks and snacks including burgers, fish sandwiches. Open daily 10:00 am - 9:00 pm.

Cuppa Café coffee shop: coffees, soft drinks, pastries. Open 5:30 am - 9:00 pm.

Careenage Bar: limited snacks

Note restaurant schedules will vary according to chalkboards placed daily in the Lobby.

Room Service: 6:00 am - 11:00 pm
Nearby food alternatives West :
Cuz' Fish Shack - just 250 feet west on Aquatic Gap, highly rated fish sandwiches. Walk out of the hotel lobby and follow Aquatic Gap on your left, small blue box trailer.

Brown Sugar: (link) left on Bay Street 0.4 miles near Radisson

Lobster Alive: flies Grenadines-caught spiny lobsters in on their own aircraft, prepares several ways. 1.2 miles west on Bay Street. Link
Down Hastings Road to east within 1-1.5 miles: (right on Hastings from Hilton)
Mama Mia Italian Deli and Pizzeria, highly rated

Buzo Osteria Italiana, Italian Restaurant

New York Pizza
Updated by JDiver 22 Nov 2017

Print Wikipost

Hilton Barbados Resort {BRB}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2011, 4:02 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM/S100K; HHonors Diamond; a bunch of others at various levels!
Originally Posted by acysb87
Stoutes is good,at airport and can be booked on-line.

Have used them every visit to Barbados,IIRC visit number 30 coming in a couple weeks
+1 ^^^
Old Mar 20, 2011, 9:25 am

Programs: Lots, some no/low status some high status, can't be bothered to list them :-)
Originally Posted by pas70
We're heading to Barbados in a few weeks. I've been to the Hilton twice before.

From reading the comments on here, it appears that management do not take the feedback seriously. They respond to individual comments on Tripadvisor, but my interpretation from the more recent feedback comments is that nothing much has improved.

I was quite happy there last time, which is why I plan to return. However, the food was dreadful (and overpriced for that quality). From what I read now, this is still the case.

I noticed last time that some guests took the p*** out the executive lounge and hoarded food and drinks. I understand that management's response was to abolish the honours bar and make guests pay.

I don't drink more than 2-3 units per month on average and don't like deep fried nibbles anyway, but I quite appreciate the opportunity to sit down and chill for half an hour before we head out for dinner (not in the Hilton though).

With respect to breakfast, the continental option in the lounge is as I recall on the minimalistic side. I understand that management's response was to withdraw the option to pay for an upgrade to the full breakfast in the restaurant and you have to pay the full price (again).

Now that there are absolutely no perks associated with Diamond membership, or even if you pay for an execeutive room, what is management's value proposition?

Overall, the withdrawn perks won't have much financial impact on my stay, but I simply feel uneasy about the fact that management's response to a problem seems to be to punish the guests as opposed to finding and offering a creative solution. Again, I quite liked it there last time, but I am reacting a bit to what I sense is an attitude of arrogance...

Back to the drawing board to consider alternative accommodation, perhaps...
I just got back from a 9 night stay, as a gold was comped up to Exec level which was appreciated. Got a very warm welcome back from them too.

Over the past couple of years they have improved their afternoon tea in the lounge. It used to be some cookies and coconut bread. Now you get a cake of some sort (cheesecake, blackforest gateau, chocolate cake) which changes on a daily basis. Scones (fruit &/or cheese). Sometimes mini cream cakes and other types of cakes are out.

To be honest I find the exec lounge breakfast to be adequate.

The main problem this place still has is with those little flies landing on the food. They've been in that lounge for years. The other problem which isn't the hotels fault is ignorant guests who won't use the tongs that are put out and pick stuff with their fingers. Absolutely disgusting. I witnessed a Canadian woman picking stuff up at afternoon tea put it on her plate, lick her fingers and then proceed to pick more stuff with her fingers. Disgusting woman.

I'm not bothered about the evening snacks but plenty of soft drinks are put out. They actually told us to take a bottle of soda away with us if we wished to do so. Most evenings we did take a bottle away but we always asked first and never took the ****.

Yes the free booze has been gone since early 2010, the honor bar is still in place but the prices are a joke.

We ate out every night except one when we were just too tired. Ate at the Careenage bar and got what we expected, overpriced average food and expensive booze. Even the Happy hour is poor. A pint of banks is $12 BDS usually, during happy hour it's $9.60 BDS. When we were there Feb 2010 they had happy hour on local booze all night and it's was a 50% off which was a bargain and more what you would expect of happy hour pricing. As a result we did a lot of drinking at the bar. This year we used the bar twice. It wasn't the end of the world as you know there are plenty of places to get cheap banks and mount gay XO in Barbados

Last edited by Private Pyle; Mar 20, 2011 at 2:39 pm
Old Mar 20, 2011, 10:59 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by vrbaba
Here are some long overdue pics from last year.
here's a long overdue thanks for posting them^
Originally Posted by MyTravels
Hotel Dining: They have all-you-can eat buffets (not that any of us really need a buffet) on Tuesday (Italian), Friday (Asian, including some sushi), & Saturday (Seafood) around US$50/person - including the VAT & Service.
holy cow, $50 for Asian or Italian food prepared at a Caribbean resort? Seems way out of whack price wise. Seafood I can understand if they have Caribbean lobster on the buffet, oysters, shrimp, etc.
Originally Posted by kevin80
There have been plenty of posts though as to where you can walk to get food that is nearby or a quick ride.
good to hear^, I'll look further into the thread, I was about to write of this resort.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
Hotel Dining: They have all-you-can eat buffets (not that any of us really need a buffet) on Tuesday (Italian), Friday (Asian, including some sushi), & Saturday (Seafood) around US$50/person - including the VAT & Service.
holy cow, $50 for Asian or Italian food prepared at a Caribbean resort? Seems way out of whack price wise. Seafood I can understand if they have Caribbean lobster on the buffet, oysters, shrimp, etc.
VAT is 15% & Service is 10%, so $50-all-in is really $39/$40+VAT+tip for a buffet (depending if you tip on top of the VAT). That's high for Italian (that's not fresh hand made), but reasonable for Asian/Sushi or Seafood buffet, espeically on a Caribbean island

Last edited by MyTravels; Mar 20, 2011 at 6:25 pm
Old Mar 21, 2011, 12:59 am
cjd

VAT is 15% & Service is 10%, so $50-all-in is really $39/$40+VAT+tip for a buffet (depending if you tip on top of the VAT). That's high for Italian (that's not fresh hand made), but reasonable for Asian/Sushi or Seafood buffet, espeically on a Caribbean island
The VAT tax is actually 17.5% now.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 10:13 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, HHonors Diamond VIP, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by cjd
The VAT tax is actually 17.5% now.
Good afternoon all,

I am booking into the Hilton Barbados on a reward cert for 8 nights over Xmas 2011 (December 17 - 25). I am a Diamond level member, but I am getting some mixed signals from the hotel. I would like to assure I get an ocean-view room, and Exec level. The hotel said it would be $20 for the ocean view, and $70 for the Exec level. So a total of $90/night, plus TAX (note in USD). Being Diamond, tho, would I likely get an Exec level upgrade? The $20 for the ocean view is no big deal, but the $70 more for the exec level floor is.

Thoughts?

Thanks -

-Matt
Old Apr 3, 2011, 2:04 am
cjd

Originally Posted by zfxr
Good afternoon all,

I am booking into the Hilton Barbados on a reward cert for 8 nights over Xmas 2011 (December 17 - 25). I am a Diamond level member, but I am getting some mixed signals from the hotel. I would like to assure I get an ocean-view room, and Exec level. The hotel said it would be $20 for the ocean view, and $70 for the Exec level. So a total of $90/night, plus TAX (note in USD). Being Diamond, tho, would I likely get an Exec level upgrade? The $20 for the ocean view is no big deal, but the $70 more for the exec level floor is.

Thoughts?

Thanks -

-Matt
I was told by staff that the Christmas period is one of the busiest times at the hotel. As Diamond, you are entitled to access to the Executive lounge even if you don't get an Executive room. All rooms have ocean views, but some overlook the swimming pools/beach and others overlook Carlisle Bay towards Bridgetown. When we were there in February, our first 4 nights were on an Award certificate. We were not given an Exec room, but got a nice room on the 4th floor overlooking the bay. Also got access to the Exec lounge as Diamond. After 4 days, we were then on a paid stay and the hotel wanted us to move to an Exec room overlooking the swimming pool. As we were quite happy with the non-Exec room preferring the bay view and didn't want the hassle of moving rooms, we were able to stay put. I personally wouldn't worry about getting an Exec room as I don't think they are much different to the normal rooms, other than giving access to the Exec lounge, which you should get.

Last edited by cjd; Apr 3, 2011 at 2:11 am
Old Apr 3, 2011, 9:35 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, HHonors Diamond VIP, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by cjd
I was told by staff that the Christmas period is one of the busiest times at the hotel. As Diamond, you are entitled to access to the Executive lounge even if you don't get an Executive room. All rooms have ocean views, but some overlook the swimming pools/beach and others overlook Carlisle Bay towards Bridgetown. When we were there in February, our first 4 nights were on an Award certificate. We were not given an Exec room, but got a nice room on the 4th floor overlooking the bay. Also got access to the Exec lounge as Diamond. After 4 days, we were then on a paid stay and the hotel wanted us to move to an Exec room overlooking the swimming pool. As we were quite happy with the non-Exec room preferring the bay view and didn't want the hassle of moving rooms, we were able to stay put. I personally wouldn't worry about getting an Exec room as I don't think they are much different to the normal rooms, other than giving access to the Exec lounge, which you should get.
Thanks for the advice! I will see about the $20 upgrade, it doesn't sound like the exec floor upgrade is really worth it anyhow.

-Matt
Old Apr 3, 2011, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by cjd
I would like to assure I get an ocean-view room, and Exec level. The hotel said it would be $20 for the ocean view,
All rooms have ocean views, but some overlook the swimming pools/beach and others overlook Carlisle Bay towards Bridgetown.
As cjd said, all rooms have ocean/gulf/bay views (which is part of the reason this hotel is so popular) so I wouldn't worry about the view other than possibly being nicer on a higher floor.

Originally Posted by cjd
and $70 for the Exec level.
As Diamond, you are entitled to access to the Executive lounge even if you don't get an Executive room.
The only perks that I know of for an executive room are:
(a) Higher floor
(b) You may be on the same floor as the lounge, but keep in mind that multiple floors are "executive floors"
(c) Lounge access, but being Diamond you already have this perk

I wouldn't pay $90/night for a higher floor, or ocean vs bay view (the lounge is on a high floor with a bay view), but I'm sure there are people who do.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 12:25 pm
cjd

Thanks for the advice! I will see about the $20 upgrade, it doesn't sound like the exec floor upgrade is really worth it anyhow.

-Matt
I was trying to make the point that all rooms have some sort of ocean view so don't pay $20 a night to upgrade to an ocean view room!! Also, as agreed by My Travels, don't bother with the $70 upgrade to an Executive room. I'm not sure if what you've been quoted is the Nor1 upgrade, but I certainly never use Nor1 if they request payment for something to which you're entitled as a Diamond member.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by cjd
I was trying to make the point that all rooms have some sort of ocean view so don't pay $20 a night to upgrade to an ocean view room!! Also, as agreed by My Travels, don't bother with the $70 upgrade to an Executive room. I'm not sure if what you've been quoted is the Nor1 upgrade, but I certainly never use Nor1 if they request payment for something to which you're entitled as a Diamond member.
Oh, so the $20 is sortof a sham then, gotcha. Since I am entitled to it, then I would agree that I should not have to pay.

Thanks again for the heads up!

-Matt
Old Apr 5, 2011, 5:13 pm

Programs: Lots, some no/low status some high status, can't be bothered to list them :-)
Oh, so the $20 is sortof a sham then, gotcha. Since I am entitled to it, then I would agree that I should not have to pay.

Thanks again for the heads up!

-Matt
It's not a sham. The $20 will guarantee you get a view of the Atlantic side of the hotel looking out to sea. If you don't pay it you could end up with a bay only (Caribbean Sea) view looking towards over Carlisle Bay towards Bridgetown with the harbour in the background. Still, others are correct I wouldn't pay extra for the ocean view, the bay is still a very nice view.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 1:08 pm

Programs: Hilton, USAirways
helpful, thanks!
Old Apr 10, 2011, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by Private Pyle
It's not a sham. The $20 will guarantee you get a view of the Atlantic side of the hotel looking out to sea.
No it won't. The eStandby upgrades mean that you might get the indicated upgrade, if the hotel has it available on arrival. It doesn't guarantee anything.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by stifle
Originally Posted by Private Pyle
It's not a sham. The $20 will guarantee you get a view of the Atlantic side of the hotel looking out to sea.
No it won't. The eStandby upgrades mean that you might get the indicated upgrade, if the hotel has it available on arrival. It doesn't guarantee anything.
This isn't about eStandby (NOR1):

I would like to assure I get an ocean-view room, and Exec level. The hotel said it would be $20 for the ocean view, and $70 for the Exec level. So a total of $90/night, plus TAX (note in USD).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.