Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Tokyo {JPN}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:23 pm

Thanks for the info!

I have two carryon bags.
ill check the bus schedule n see if it works out.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 8:53 am

If anyone else has been watching, they finally released standard award blocks for latter half of Sep and first half of Oct.
The _Banking_Scot and dascc like this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond + Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by HawaiiO
Is it easier to get a bus to the hotel from NRT or take the train to Shinjuku and walk to the hotel?
I would suggest talking the bus from the airport to the hotel. It's cheap and easy and you don't really need to know anything about your location (it might be a challenge finding the Hilton shuttle at Shinjuku station -- it's very congested and lots of people and trying to do this while jet lagged might not be fun). The bus price is about 3000yen per person, but at least one bus company offers 4 tickets for 8000yen (supposed for round trips, but you can use all four at once if you want) which lowers the cost if you have three or four people traveling.

On the other hand, going from the hotel to to the airport works well going by train. Take the hotel shuttle to Shinjuku station, walk ten minutes to the station for the Narita Express, and then you are soon at the airport. Also, by the time you are leaving you will probably have a better lay of the land around Shinjuku station so making your way to the train could be easier.

One thing that might impact your decision is having a JR pass. The JR pass includes travel on the Narita Express, so you will save some money over taking the bus. But the JR pass is only offered in 1-week increments, so you might want to plan ahead. In my case we were in Japan for 9 days, so the JR pass wasn't good for our entire trip. We chose to take the bus to the hotel, then a couple days later we activated the JR pass so that it would be good until we left Japan, allowing us to use the JR pass on the Narita Express on our last day.
burroheadnebula likes this.

Last edited by Jerry Vandesic; Aug 24, 2019 at 4:19 pm
Old Aug 24, 2019, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by ne0ven0m
If anyone else has been watching, they finally released standard award blocks for latter half of Sep and first half of Oct.
They also finally made a bunch of nights from SEP-DEC avail. for Yen 21,600- per night with the "Amazing Asia Pacific Sale". DEC has the most cheap nights avail. Link here:

https://discover.hilton.com/en_ap/offers/apac-sale/

The cheapest rates had been around Yen 34,000- with the sale discount since June (I check several times a week since I spend so much time at this property), so this is an opportunity to save big. Sale ends 6 SEP and must be prepaid with no changes or cancellations allowed.
Cynicor likes this.

Last edited by zombietooth; Aug 24, 2019 at 5:34 pm
Old Aug 24, 2019, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by HawaiiO
Is it easier to get a bus to the hotel from NRT or take the train to Shinjuku and walk to the hotel?

Thanks!
In addition to the hassle of moving luggage in Shinjuku station through the "salmon run crowds", the station itself can be very confusing to newcomers. My brother, a physician, ignored my advice to take the Limousine Bus and instead took the NEX. He ended-up arriving around two hours late to the hotel because he got lost in the underground maze of shops and train lines, etc.

Once you know the station, it's a cake walk. It takes me exactly 10 mins to walk from the front door of the Hilton to boarding the JR Yamanote line train everyday. And the trains are always on time to the minute.
Cynicor and Jerry Vandesic like this.

Last edited by zombietooth; Aug 24, 2019 at 4:53 pm
Old Aug 24, 2019, 8:01 pm

There's much to be said about doing the easy, no-stress thing (Limo bus) when you arrive, and then once you've been in Japan for a while and navigated trains and stations a few times, considering taking the train/NEX back to the airport.
Chang11 and Jerry Vandesic like this.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
This is slightly off target but all of you seem to know the area well - we will travel in March, caveat my wife hates changing hotels and likes hotels with lounges. I have around 13 days open so for now I’m thinking 5 in Tokyo (to get 5th night free), take the train to Osaka (ditto 5 nights). We will probably get a 14 day JR pass which will allow us to take daily side trips to Kyoto, Nara, Kanazawa ect, this will leave us 3 nights to stay really anywhere you guys suggest in an area with a more traditional Japanese housing we just need to be able to get to NRT for a 5 pm flight.

I realize this might not be the best way to visit Japan but she is being pretty adamant.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by kmandrew
This is slightly off target but all of you seem to know the area well - we will travel in March, caveat my wife hates changing hotels and likes hotels with lounges. I have around 13 days open so for now I’m thinking 5 in Tokyo (to get 5th night free), take the train to Osaka (ditto 5 nights). We will probably get a 14 day JR pass which will allow us to take daily side trips to Kyoto, Nara, Kanazawa ect, this will leave us 3 nights to stay really anywhere you guys suggest in an area with a more traditional Japanese housing we just need to be able to get to NRT for a 5 pm flight.

I realize this might not be the best way to visit Japan but she is being pretty adamant.
This is what we typically do, though usually stay 6 nights at each location. For us, we mostly use the Osaka days to see Kyoto.

I don’t have specific recommendations for other hotels.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis

Hi.

There may be more advice on the Japan forum

Where are you staying in osaka the hilton or conrad?

Regards
​​​​​​Tbs
Old Aug 31, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi.

There may be more advice on the Japan forum

Where are you staying in osaka the hilton or conrad?

Regards
​​​​​​Tbs
Second the Japan forum! They regularly amaze me with the depth of knowledge and expertise (coming up with the name & new location of a closed restaurant based on a vague-ish description, for example)
Old Aug 31, 2019, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel
Second the Japan forum! They regularly amaze me with the depth of knowledge and expertise (coming up with the name & new location of a closed restaurant based on a vague-ish description, for example)
Thanks
I’ll ask over there
I think we will do the Hilton in both cities to save the 25k per night but my mind could be changed. We are not super picky, just want a clean room, good breakfast and nice lounge to relax and have a drink while deciding how to spend the evening.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks
I’ll ask over there
I think we will do the Hilton in both cities to save the 25k per night but my mind could be changed. We are not super picky, just want a clean room, good breakfast and nice lounge to relax and have a drink while deciding how to spend the evening.

Hi,

Both hotels will fit the bill ( I loved the Conrad which has wonderful city views from the lobby level on the 40th floor- so it is worth at least a visit) and would consider the conrad a better hotel ( unless you are saving the points savings for another stay in the future)

Regards

TBS
Old Sep 1, 2019, 8:45 am

I just remembered we have a free weekend plus a resort credit to use, we arrive on a Friday so will use the weekend night then 280k for a total of 6 nights in Tokyo.
The only use of the resort credit I think could be our last night, not going to Disneyland so Odawara looks ok to get to NRT for a 5 pm flight home?
Old Sep 18, 2019, 4:00 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
61,000 points a night this weekend.
Is it worth it? Otherwise low 30k range JPY for cash rates.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Isochronous
61,000 points a night this weekend.
Is it worth it? Otherwise low 30k range JPY for cash rates.
Hi.

It is not bad especially if the cash rates do not include the 13% service charge and the 8%(10%from 1st Oct) tax

Regards
Tbs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.