Wiki Posts
Search

Conrad Tokyo {JPN}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2018, 6:01 am
Suspended

Talking

Originally Posted by seraphkz
Just completed a night at Conrad Tokyo as a Diamond member. Wonderful hotel with a wonderful staff. Received fantastic service. Japanese complimentary breakfast was amazing.
I'm surprised you weren't trampled to death after reports of tour groups flooding the Conrad.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 6:37 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Cynicor
Ah, the Yurikamome. Such a fun, but over priced line. Fond memories of the arcade at Venusfort and the Ferris Wheel.
It's nice for those who want to visit the new fish market. Not as convenient as being a short walk from Tsukiji, but it could have been significantly worse.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is silly. It would be like staying in NY on the east side and saying that a hotel is badly located because it was far from the A train when it is on top of the 6 train. Ultimately everyone has preferred locations (I could say that I stayed at the Conrad, and the connections were excellent as I needed to be in Daiba for business, and the monorail is pretty much right there). What is not correct is to say that, " Its not close to the subway station (about a 10-15 min walk?)" definatively, as it implies that there is only one subway or train station in existence in and around the Conrad, when in fact there are many, and most are in fact closer!
kapooncha likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by kapooncha
I'm surprised you weren't trampled to death after reports of tour groups flooding the Conrad.
Actually it wasn't bad at all. I got a very nice upgrade and the service was fantastic.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 7:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by seraphkz
Actually it wasn't bad at all. I got a very nice upgrade and the service was fantastic.
Sarcasm
Old Nov 21, 2018, 7:55 pm

Quick trip report: I just finished a 6 night (fifth night free) award stay at the Conrad Tokyo. I probably should have researched how to get to the hotel from the Shimbashi station prior to actually arriving. It was definitely not fun carrying a check-in suitcase up the stairs because I missed the Shimbashi skywalk entrance.

I e-checked in on the Hilton app and selected a 2 queen standard room. The app mentioned that upgrades would be processed based on availability. When I arrived at the lobby desk they grabbed my details and then guided me to the executive lounge to check in. On my way up the attendant said that the hotel thinks we really want the selected room if we e-check in. I haven't kept up with the mobile check in threads on this forum but now at least I have informal confirmation to skip mobile check in. Lounge manager presented me with a few room options including a 2 queen executive or a 2 queen suite that was being cleaned. I had no issues with waiting for a suite upgrade especially with 3 total guests. Huge thanks to the lounge manager!

Executive lounge breakfast with a made to order egg station was fantastic. Evening hors devours was great as well and we enjoyed the wine and whisky. I don't think we ever made it to the afternoon tea since we were out and about in the city. Felt really blessed when our destinations were accessible by the oedo line (shiodome stop). However the 10-15 min walk to the shimbashi station for ginza/asakusa/jr lines weren't bad once we mastered the skywalk. Not too lively around the area as it seems like a more business-ey district everywhere was accessible by metro.

It was also my first time using a concierge service and it was quite the experience. A week prior to the stay I requested a restaurant reservation and it was confirmed within a couple of hours and re-confirmed upon check in. I requested Ghibli museum tickets but it was sold out. The concierge service may have been successful if I requested before the purchase window opened up. I also used the concierge service to contact the restaurant when we knew we would be 30 minutes late from our afternoon activities running over. We also didn't want the concierge service to take any blame for a late arrival/no-show.

I would say the Conrad Tokyo was my top hotel experience in my life because of the service, staff, and amenities. I will definitely be back once I bank up some more points since I would probably never be able to afford to cash rate!
Cynicor, SPBanker and flapland like this.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 8:42 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Bonvoy something
Nice trip report ht2791. We overlapped stays and I agree service was great as always. One thing I noticed from my last stay in May was an expanded breakfast menu in the lounge but a depleted menu offering in Cerise. I imagine it was done to simplify things but I really enjoyed the huevos rancheros!

One question for everyone on the topic of station location: are people really using the skywalks to access Shimbashi and finding it faster than underground? My trips have been during colder months so it never occurred to me to use the skywalks. That and I like to hit the family mart on the way to Shimbashi.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 11:36 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt globalist, Marriott Gold
omgggg are they going to open any award availability for April.. should I even wait for this
Old Nov 25, 2018, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Grapenut
Nice trip report ht2791. We overlapped stays and I agree service was great as always. One thing I noticed from my last stay in May was an expanded breakfast menu in the lounge but a depleted menu offering in Cerise. I imagine it was done to simplify things but I really enjoyed the huevos rancheros!

One question for everyone on the topic of station location: are people really using the skywalks to access Shimbashi and finding it faster than underground? My trips have been during colder months so it never occurred to me to use the skywalks. That and I like to hit the family mart on the way to Shimbashi.
Hi,
In January for the first couple of times I used the skywalks as i found the underground passage ways a little confusing at first.

I did not notice much of a time difference however when using the skywalks I stopped to take photos of the Shinkansen trains passing by and the Ghibli clock and when using the underground passsage ways I stopped at the winter light show at the Carretta Shiodome en route to the Conrad- very impressive)

Regards

TBS
Old Nov 25, 2018, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Grapenut
As my trips are during the warmer months, I prefer the skywalks. I think, that underground and skywalks take both about the same time.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: AA 2MM PLT, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
I just finished a 5-night stay at the Conrad. Finding the hotel from Shimbashi was a bit confusing (took the wrong exit), but once you've done it once or twice, it's not a particularly bad walk (with a large suitcase it might be a pain, though; I had mine shipped from the previous hotel the day before, highly recommended if Tokyo isn't your first stop). Like The Banking Scot, I was delayed on the walk by both the clock and light shows - both worth seeing!

Overall, the Conrad is a very, very nice though relatively generic Western-style hotel. I was upgraded to a view room which did have nice views of the waterfront, but did not have lounge access. The rooms are well-sized even on an absolute basis but especially so for Japan, very comfortable, and you can pre-choose amenities from the app (that said, the Refinery shave gel isn't very good).

The concierge service was excellent - I contacted them a few weeks before my trip and they were able to get me into a very nice set of restaurants. No unicorns, but Sushi Harutaka, Shima Steak, Tempura Matsu, etc. They responded very quickly to my inquiries and made helpful suggestions.

The only downside was breakfast, where the quality of the food was certainly okay but by no means outstanding. I tried several of the entrees and all were average, as was the buffet. Service at breakfast was spotty - they were all trying very hard but were overwhelmed. The entree order took 10-15 minutes on several occasions, and coffee refills were hard to get. These are definitely "first world problems", though!

In contrast, I had just come from the Ritz Carlton in Kyoto, which was just at another level. The Conrad is without a doubt a very good choice in Tokyo, but the Ritz Kyoto is world-class.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JHunter

In contrast, I had just come from the Ritz Carlton in Kyoto, which was just at another level. The Conrad is without a doubt a very good choice in Tokyo, but the Ritz Kyoto is world-class.
I would consider Hilton's Waldorf Astoria brand to be more in line with the Ritz Carltons of the world. From my POV, Conrads are positioned as high-end business hotels, although more than nice for tourist stays, whereas the WA branded hotels are intended as luxury experience hotels.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 6:45 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Bonvoy something
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,
In January for the first couple of times I used the skywalks as i found the underground passage ways a little confusing at first.

I did not notice much of a time difference however when using the skywalks I stopped to take photos of the Shinkansen trains passing by and the Ghibli clock and when using the underground passsage ways I stopped at the winter light show at the Carretta Shiodome en route to the Conrad- very impressive)

Regards

TBS
Originally Posted by thbe
As my trips are during the warmer months, I prefer the skywalks. I think, that underground and skywalks take both about the same time.
Thanks for the input. I will have to try that route next time I am there in warmer weather. I did enjoy stumbling upon the Carretta winter light show last week. Lovely experience.

The only downside was breakfast, where the quality of the food was certainly okay but by no means outstanding. I tried several of the entrees and all were average, as was the buffet. Service at breakfast was spotty - they were all trying very hard but were overwhelmed. The entree order took 10-15 minutes on several occasions, and coffee refills were hard to get. These are definitely "first world problems", though!
This would be my mine complaint about the Conrad. During the busier times at breakfast, the staff is all moving about with purpose but seem overlook newly seated tables. Agree that is a first world problem to bear however.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 7:51 pm

Really? I've stayed at many hotels (although admittedly not Ritz-Carlton) in Jpn and HKG, and I might actually have Conrad Tokyo's breakfast buffet as my #1 all-time. I think it's better than I've had at Conrad HKG, Island Shangri-la, JW Marriott, Intercontinental, etc, etc, certainly better than any I've had in Tokyo. Not many buffets give you a choice of cooked-to-order entree, in addition to the buffet. Conrad Tokyo's breakfast dim sum items are definitely better than the dim sum you get at breakfast buffet in any of the aforementioned HKG hotels.

If there's a hotel breakfast buffet in Tokyo that's better than Conrad's, I'd like to know.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 1:48 am

I just finished a 5-night stay at the Conrad. Finding the hotel from Shimbashi was a bit confusing (took the wrong exit), but once you've done it once or twice, it's not a particularly bad walk (with a large suitcase it might be a pain, though; I had mine shipped from the previous hotel the day before, highly recommended if Tokyo isn't your first stop). Like The Banking Scot, I was delayed on the walk by both the clock and light shows - both worth seeing!

Overall, the Conrad is a very, very nice though relatively generic Western-style hotel. I was upgraded to a view room which did have nice views of the waterfront, but did not have lounge access. The rooms are well-sized even on an absolute basis but especially so for Japan, very comfortable, and you can pre-choose amenities from the app (that said, the Refinery shave gel isn't very good).

The concierge service was excellent - I contacted them a few weeks before my trip and they were able to get me into a very nice set of restaurants. No unicorns, but Sushi Harutaka, Shima Steak, Tempura Matsu, etc. They responded very quickly to my inquiries and made helpful suggestions.

Care to post your Ritz Carlton Kyoto review?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.