Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hampton Inn Properties with Outside Room Entry and Exterior Corridors

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hampton Inn Properties with Outside Room Entry and Exterior Corridors

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2021, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Will Stonehocker
So strange there are only four left of them.
Why do you think that's strange? Hilton over 15 years ago supposedly went on a mission to get rid of all exterior corridor Hamptons:

200+ hamptons being dropped

and so many people might find it more strange that there are even any left today.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 4:12 pm
formerly Will Stonehocker

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Why do you think that's strange? Hilton over 15 years ago supposedly went on a mission to get rid of all exterior corridor Hamptons:

200+ hamptons being dropped

and so many people might find it more strange that there are even any left today.
I'm only saying that because in an era called COVID19, the few remaining exterior corridor Hamptons do have a purpose.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 4:55 pm

Back in early September I actually stayed at the last old style traditional exterior entrance Hampton Inn in Dalton, GA. I was stunned when I saw an exterior Hampton Inn still existed. Honestly I thought it was maintained pretty well and for leisure travels just looking for a place to crash, wake up, take a shower, get in the car and get back on the road exterior entrances work. Plus as Will mentioned with Covid-19 I could see there be a purpose for exterior corridor hotels again. Even as a vaccine comes out people aren't just going to stop becoming germaphobes. If anything Gen Z are probably going to be a bunch of germaphobes and make previous generations look normal by comparison.

I think Hampton Inn should consider going to a hybrid model for new hotels. Have the first floor be exterior entrances for those who want it with the rest of the hotel being interior corridors. Similar to the Hampton Inn not too far from me in Gainesville, FL. The fact is while traveling during Covid-19 I peeked out exterior corridor hotels just so I wouldn't have to worry about elevators and enclosed hallways. It's something I think Hampton Inns should consider.
Cymro likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by austin83
Back in early September I actually stayed at the last old style traditional exterior entrance Hampton Inn in Dalton, GA. I was stunned when I saw an exterior Hampton Inn still existed. Honestly I thought it was maintained pretty well and for leisure travels just looking for a place to crash, wake up, take a shower, get in the car and get back on the road exterior entrances work. Plus as Will mentioned with Covid-19 I could see there be a purpose for exterior corridor hotels again. Even as a vaccine comes out people aren't just going to stop becoming germaphobes. If anything Gen Z are probably going to be a bunch of germaphobes and make previous generations look normal by comparison.

I think Hampton Inn should consider going to a hybrid model for new hotels. Have the first floor be exterior entrances for those who want it with the rest of the hotel being interior corridors. Similar to the Hampton Inn not too far from me in Gainesville, FL. The fact is while traveling during Covid-19 I peeked out exterior corridor hotels just so I wouldn't have to worry about elevators and enclosed hallways. It's something I think Hampton Inns should consider.
You’re right.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 12:05 am

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Disappointed in this as I used to with some frequency visit family in western Kentucky and stayed at the external entrance Hampton Inn in Union City, TN, which is now a Quality Inn. Always had clean rooms and even as a Gold each day housekeeping would leave me two new bottles of water and a bag of chips. I never had a problem with it and preferred it sometimes for the convenience.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
I think outside access Hamptons (heck, any brand) are REALLY attractive right now. I've always loved the motor hotel concept. Right now, you can avoid having to don masks in the lobby, check in online, and go right to your room, never having to use masks on property at all, and avoid scowling faces. Win...win.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
I think outside access Hamptons (heck, any brand) are REALLY attractive right now. I've always loved the motor hotel concept. Right now, you can avoid having to don masks in the lobby, check in online, and go right to your room, never having to use masks on property at all, and avoid scowling faces. Win...win.
Maybe in Florida but not California. At virtually all outside corridor hotels I've been in California, the lobby is still indoors, and masks are required there. (There may a tiny percentage of lower-end motels -- lower-end than Hampton -- that may have a walkup window facing outside for checkin, but they're very rare.)

And if you say "any brand", lots of other brands with outside corridors don't allow you to check in online or use your phone as the room key, so that's why you have to go into the lobby to check in and that why it matters if the lobby is indoors and masks are required indoors in that area.

So the ability to check in online and use your phone as the room key at outside corridor hotels may work at only the 4 or so Hampton hotels mentioned here!
Old Mar 28, 2021, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
If the only time you have to go to the lobby is a two minute check-in, fine, masks off rest of stay. Still a win.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
If the only time you have to go to the lobby is a two minute check-in, fine, masks off rest of stay. Still a win.
I second that. It makes sense to have a mask on in the lobby. A check-in window would also help matters too.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by purplenightskylovertv
I second that. It makes sense to have a mask on in the lobby. A check-in window would also help matters too.
This topic is several years old now but it looks like we're coming to the end of an era. I am driving up from Florida to Kentucky in November for Thanksgiving. As I'm not leaving early enough in the day due to work I will have to spend the night. Looked at some Hampton Inn's in north Georgia and around Chattanooga. I did see where the Dalton, GA Hampton Inn still exists and considered booking it for exterior corridor convenience (it'll be a night where I just check in around 9 p.m. or 10 p.m., crash for 8 hours, wake up around 6 a.m. and get back on the road around 7 a.m. so an exterior corridor property has an appeal if you can get a first floor room and have your car right there). With that said it looks like the Dalton, GA Hampton Inn stops accepting reservations in mid-November just before my trip.

It looks like they might be officially closing it. Either it'll get a different flag or maybe the owners keep the property but have to bulldoze the old building and then build a new modern Hampton Inn. I'm guessing it'll be the former.

So with that said there will be no more original style exterior corridor Hampton Inn's left in existence (at least as Hampton Inn's, many have continued under other flags).

There is still the weird Hampton Inn in Gainesville, FL that has exterior rooms on the first floor but then the rest of the hotel are the regular interior corridor entrances. There is also still the weird Hampton Inn in Spring Hill, FL that also has some exterior corridor rooms on the first floor (in that case the first floor rooms open up to the exterior and interior, never seen that at any other hotel).

Finally there is still the Hampton Inn in Gatlinburg, TN that is exterior corridor but is not the traditional style and is more resort style. It's more high rise and right on a creek. With the prime location right on the Parkway in Gatlinburg I imagine Hilton will want to keep that property.

Looking at recent reviews the Hampton Inn in Dalton, GA has gotten absolutely terrible reviews and I'm sure it's been a thorn in the side of the Hilton employees who manage the Hampton brand for years now. I'm surprised it lasted this long. A lot of people have called corporate regarding the property according to TripAdvisor reviews. I'm sure for some of those Hilton employees there will be or has already been a party celebrating no longer having to deal with this property, lol.

Officially the end of an era though and thought some of you might find it interesting.

Last edited by austin83; Sep 16, 2023 at 2:07 am
Old Sep 16, 2023, 11:10 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

With that said it looks like the Dalton, GA Hampton Inn stops accepting reservations in mid-November just before my trip.
Reservations are once again available starting on January 1, 2024.

I do not know if almost 1.5 months during the holiday season is enough time to convert a building from having rooms with exterior access to rooms with only interior access.

Interesting to note is that the base room rate never dips below $103 per night...
Old Sep 16, 2023, 3:12 pm

This topic is several years old now but it looks like we're coming to the end of an era. I am driving up from Florida to Kentucky in November for Thanksgiving. As I'm not leaving early enough in the day due to work I will have to spend the night. Looked at some Hampton Inn's in north Georgia and around Chattanooga. I did see where the Dalton, GA Hampton Inn still exists and considered booking it for exterior corridor convenience (it'll be a night where I just check in around 9 p.m. or 10 p.m., crash for 8 hours, wake up around 6 a.m. and get back on the road around 7 a.m. so an exterior corridor property has an appeal if you can get a first floor room and have your car right there). With that said it looks like the Dalton, GA Hampton Inn stops accepting reservations in mid-November just before my trip.

It looks like they might be officially closing it. Either it'll get a different flag or maybe the owners keep the property but have to bulldoze the old building and then build a new modern Hampton Inn. I'm guessing it'll be the former.

So with that said there will be no more original style exterior corridor Hampton Inn's left in existence (at least as Hampton Inn's, many have continued under other flags).

There is still the weird Hampton Inn in Gainesville, FL that has exterior rooms on the first floor but then the rest of the hotel are the regular interior corridor entrances. There is also still the weird Hampton Inn in Spring Hill, FL that also has some exterior corridor rooms on the first floor (in that case the first floor rooms open up to the exterior and interior, never seen that at any other hotel).

Finally there is still the Hampton Inn in Gatlinburg, TN that is exterior corridor but is not the traditional style and is more resort style. It's more high rise and right on a creek. With the prime location right on the Parkway in Gatlinburg I imagine Hilton will want to keep that property.

Looking at recent reviews the Hampton Inn in Dalton, GA has gotten absolutely terrible reviews and I'm sure it's been a thorn in the side of the Hilton employees who manage the Hampton brand for years now. I'm surprised it lasted this long. A lot of people have called corporate regarding the property according to TripAdvisor reviews. I'm sure for some of those Hilton employees there will be or has already been a party celebrating no longer having to deal with this property, lol.

Officially the end of an era though and thought some of you might find it interesting.
I can agree.

Roll the dice if someone from Choice Hotels will slap their name on that property.

Spin the bottle if Wyndham will step in and blast their name on the property.

Draw a tarot card if Motel 6 will take over.

Wave the magic wand if Red Roof Inn is buying the property and putting their name on it.

Bet your luck if it will be an independently-owned property because a family-run hotel has its benefits, and they're all over the south.

Read it and weep if Best Western will buy the rights to the property.

Last edited by purplenightskylovertv; Sep 21, 2023 at 3:14 pm
Old Sep 16, 2023, 10:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC
There is also still the weird Hampton Inn in Spring Hill, FL that also has some exterior corridor rooms on the first floor (in that case the first floor rooms open up to the exterior and interior, never seen that at any other hotel).
The 49er Inn in Jackson, WY has that type of room set up. I just stayed there last week.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by zdcatc12
The 49er Inn in Jackson, WY has that type of room set up. I just stayed there last week.
Interesting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.