Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Tampa Airport Westshore {US-FL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Tampa Airport Westshore {US-FL}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2002, 2:37 pm
jfd
Original Poster

Arrow Hilton Tampa Airport Westshore {US-FL}

I booked that property and stayed there last saturday. Warning, the exec floor is being renovated (closed). they did provide me with a coupon for free breakfast. The room I had was recently renovated and nice. But the lack of exec floor was a bit of a bummer..
Old Oct 7, 2002, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
You didn't really miss much. I stayed at this property last fall and the only difference I could discern between exec and non-exec floor rooms was that the exec rooms were higher up. This hotel does not offer an exec lounge.
Old Oct 7, 2002, 3:19 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
I've been staying at this property off and on for years.
I can't remember the last time they actually had any difference on the "exec floor"
Old Oct 7, 2002, 7:12 pm
m

Why don`t you all stay at the Doubletree - Tampa airport instead. I thought it was great. They have a nice executive level and lounge. It really had a swank feel to it. Complimentary drinks between 5-6 pm for executive level guests too. I highly recommend it.
Old Oct 7, 2002, 7:42 pm

Location: Louisville, KY, DL PM-MM, AA PLT, HH DIA, Marriott PLT, Avis CHM, Yada, Yada, Yada
There is a slight problem at the DoubleTree exec floor, you have to walk a long way from the lobby to reach the back elevators. If you do stay there request a room that faces the front of the hotel, otherwise your hearing x-way traffic all night.
Another alternative is the Embassy Suites Westshore, no exec level but a two room suite with free cocktails and a free made to order breakfast buffet.
Old Oct 18, 2002, 6:03 pm
m

While the elevators to the executive level at the Doubletree are not in the main lobby, the walk from the check-in counter to your room can be much longer at many other Hilton family properties. Examples include the San Francisco Hilton, Doubletree-Sonoma, Doubletree suites in Tucson, Embassy Suites in Tucson (plus no elevator in the 3 story hotel), Key West Hilton, Washington Towers Hilton, etc. If you are going to be unhappy at the walk in the Tampa DT, you are going to be very unhappy at many, many other Hilton family hotels.
Regarding the noise, I had a room facing the freeway and I thought it was okay. Of course, I closed the curtains, which acted as an effective sound barrier.
Old Oct 22, 2002, 4:27 pm

Programs: United 1P
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LarryU:
You didn't really miss much. I stayed at this property last fall and the only difference I could discern between exec and non-exec floor rooms was that the exec rooms were higher up. This hotel does not offer an exec lounge.</font>
I stayed there last week ... the executive floor is newly refurbished ... it offers the 'added' security of room key access only ... plus, the rooms have balconies !

Rumors persist of a concierge level ...

Old Jan 19, 2004, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Hilton Tampa Airport cancelled a confirmed reservation

My colleague booked a room last week at the Hilton TPA airport through his travel agent, for which he received a confirmation # and a confirmed rate. Room guaranteed for late arrival.

On the day of departure after he left for the airport, his travel agent called to say she had just received a message in her computer saying that they were unable to confirm his reservation. Please note that this is the day he is supposed to arrive and three days after the reservation was already confirmed. I am confident the agent was giving us the correct information, as she printed out a copy of all of the information in her computer and faxed it to us.

The travel agent said she called the hotel directly and was told 1) the hotel was overbooked and they would be walking people, and 2) they had no record of his reservation.

I personally called the hotel myself to make sure the travel agent hadn't messed up and was told the same thing. When I insisted he had a confirmation #, they once again said there was no record of that in their computer, that the hotel was overbooked for the night, and there was nothing they could do. I asked how a confirmed reservation could be cancelled, and they offered no explanation.

The travel agent got my colleague a room at the Marriott instead, so he wasn't stranded, but we were wondering if this had ever happened to anyone else and what compensation would be expected.
Old Jan 19, 2004, 2:04 pm

Not sure if that's applicable to your friend's case, but in the past (about 3 years ago) I booked a hotel room (I think it was at a Hilton property, but not completely sure, it's not that important anyways) through a third party online travel agency. I got a confirmation number, but it was not hotel's confirmation number but rather that travel agency's confirmation number. About 2 or 3 days later I got an e-mail from that agency stating that they were unable to confirm my reservation with the hotel and my reservation was being canceled. Needless to say, I haven't dealt with that travel agency again.
Old Jan 19, 2004, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Eugene gives good advice. I had exactly the same thing happen more than once in the days I used certain TA's and not our corporate TA's. It seems they "saved up" the reservations during the day, so they could do everything with one call at the end of the day and save on expenses (TA didnt use a 800 number then). They gave you their TA internal reservation number which dont do crap.

MisterNice
Old Jan 20, 2004, 2:09 am

Programs: AA, UA, HH, WOH, Bonvoy
FWIW, the Doubletree, which is about 30 seconds away, is a far better property. I've stayed at both frequently, and prefer the Doubletree (and their exec lounge is better than the Hilton's in TPA).
Old Jan 20, 2004, 3:05 pm

Second that recommend to the DT TPA. Stayed at the Hilton TPA once, that'll be the last time. Also have had very good luck at the Wyndham Westshore (near TPA on Kennedy Blvd., has a shuttle). Stories like this are exactly why I quit using TA's except for cruises 13 years ago.
Old Jan 20, 2004, 6:40 pm

Programs: NWA-Silver; Hilton-Gold, AAdvantage-junkie
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by se94583:
FWIW, the Doubletree, which is about 30 seconds away, is a far better property. I've stayed at both frequently, and prefer the Doubletree (and their exec lounge is better than the Hilton's in TPA).</font>
I'll assume your referring to the TPATLDT Doubletree Hotel Tampa Westshore Airport,
4500 West Cypress Street
right?

The first time I stayed there I found it rather hard to find the right elevator to get to the executive level.
Old Jan 20, 2004, 7:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by se94583:
FWIW, the Doubletree, which is about 30 seconds away, is a far better property. I've stayed at both frequently, and prefer the Doubletree (and their exec lounge is better than the Hilton's in TPA).</font>

There really isn't any Hilton property near the airport worth any praises, but I agree with you on the DT Westshore. A notch or 2 better than the Hilton Westshore. Nice sports bar with late food, always treated well as Gold. The elevator is hard to find and a looong walk through the corridors. If anybody stays there, ask for courtyard (inside) view, as that will give you a balcony overlooking the pool. The street/parking side rooms are little bigger, but just a window. I live few miles down the road in Sarasota, but I use this property for a night before an early flight out of TPA or a late flight in. I also heard the other DT on the other side of the airport is even nicer, but their rates don't justify my overnight stays before an early flight. For longer stays it may be worth a look. It's newer and all the rooms are suites. There are 2 Hamptons as well in both locations. Again I've heard they have nicer rooms than the TPA Hilton. For the ultimate stay not far from the airport, try Hilton Garden Inn in Ybor City. It's about 8 miles away, but they do have a shuttle, you just have to call from the airport and wait few minutes. I usually call as soon as the plane has landed and it's not that much longer than the regular hotel shuttles. The location is great for some bar hopping and nice restaurants. The 2 times I've stayed there I got a suite as a Gold. Little harder to get upgraded and more expensive on weekends as it's a very popular place for the partiers in Ybor City.
Old Jan 21, 2004, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MisterNice:
They gave you their TA internal reservation number which dont do crap.

MisterNice
</font>
I, too, was sure the travel agent had screwed up, but when I saw the computer printout, it was clear that was not the case. The confirmation # was definitely not the travel agency # but rather it was definitely a Hilton confirmation #. We checked with Hilton customer service and they confirmed that.

The confirmation # was a Hilton central reservation #. Somehow, it took 2-3 days for the information to get from central res to the Tampa Hilton and for the Tampa Hilton to reject the reservation. At least that is the story I've been given by central res, as Tampa has no record of the reservation at any time.

I know travel agents do mess up, but please don't blame them for something that was not their fault.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.