Conrad Cairo {EGY}

Old May 25, 11, 12:22 pm

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, AA Plat, Avis PC and lots of other plastic cards with logos on them.
Any recent stay's here at the Conrad Cairo? Do they have rubber ducky's in the bath-tub?
Old May 25, 11, 6:33 pm

It is not about a recent stay but when I stayed there last summer, I didn't receive anything special in the room. I had arrived from the Ramses Hilton and there I had received one plate of fruit and another one with sweets (I have to check my photo to remember which ones), plus bottles of water as a Diamond. I was expecting to receive a plush animal or at least a rubber ducky at the Conrad but they didn't have anything. The bathroom was not completely clean and I asked for another one and then it was that they put me in an executive floor room. The room was exactly the same but the amenities were better. I asked about the duck or plush animal but they didn't know anything about these. When I told them about the good treatment I received at the Ramses, then they sent a fruit plate. At least the lounge was good.
Old Jun 5, 11, 10:14 am

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, AA Plat, Avis PC and lots of other plastic cards with logos on them.
Originally Posted by Viajera View Post
It is not about a recent stay but when I stayed there last summer, I didn't receive anything special in the room. I had arrived from the Ramses Hilton and there I had received one plate of fruit and another one with sweets (I have to check my photo to remember which ones), plus bottles of water as a Diamond. I was expecting to receive a plush animal or at least a rubber ducky at the Conrad but they didn't have anything. The bathroom was not completely clean and I asked for another one and then it was that they put me in an executive floor room. The room was exactly the same but the amenities were better. I asked about the duck or plush animal but they didn't know anything about these. When I told them about the good treatment I received at the Ramses, then they sent a fruit plate. At least the lounge was good.
Weak sauce.... I always thought the rubber duckys were a brand standard across all Conrad properties. Granted, it sounds like the Ramses Hilton is the best place to stay.
Old Jun 5, 11, 11:19 am
Suspended

Late Checkout in CAI

What I do is find an inexpensive hotel nearby and stay there for 12 or so hours. In CAI there is a reliable airport van service I use. Especially good if you do not speak Arabic.
Old Jul 5, 11, 1:14 am

any recent stays

deciding which proberty to stay in
IC? hyatt? SPG? or hilton ?

im diamond on a paid stay.
Old Nov 25, 11, 10:39 am

Programs: SPG,HHonors,Thai,Flying Blue
Conrad Cairo

Just came back from the Conrad. Hotel rooms are showing signs of age. Backs of curtains are filthy. Right next to the hotel they are demolishing a building using sledge hammers and this starts at 07:00.

Executive floor food offerings are pretty poor especially during the day. Wine served is local and OK but not to the usual standard.

Hotel has 4 restaurants. My pick was certainly the Asian where quantity of food and quality was fantastic. Breakfast buffet is pretty poor by Hilton standards.

Staff were helpful and friendly.

Overall not impressed at all.

Old Jan 29, 12, 6:12 am

Programs: LH HON, UA 1K, DL FO/MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Sixt Diamond
Just got back from the Conrad Cairo and I have got to say that I don't understand the previous criticism.

Yes, the hotel is not brand new, but it is in decent condition - actually, plenty of Hilton properties in the United States show much more signs of age...

Got upgraded to a room on the Executive Floor with Nile view as a Diamond, was offered a late checkout as late as I want since the hotel was not full, breakfast offerings were in line with most other major hotels.

The snacks in the Executive Lounge seem appropriate to me, especially since breakfast is not served in the lounge (you get the full breakfast downstairs in the restaurant).

I would not rate the hotel it as impressive either, but except for the toiletery items (some weird Egyptian shampoo / bath gel) the stay was very pleasant and I'd certainly go there again.
Old Mar 15, 13, 3:20 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG PLT (LT Gold), TK Gold, M&M S, BA Silver, Hyatt Dia
Just came back from a 5 night stay and very impressed. As Gold was upgraded to a Nile View Suite. Pre check in email let me select which toiletries I would like (Chose Shanghaitang). Breakfast buffet was good. Asian and Grill both excellent. Hotel Bar was nice and well located to get to a vast variety of restaurants and bars. All staff very friendly and professional.
Old Mar 16, 13, 1:21 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai View Post
Just came back from a 5 night stay and very impressed. As Gold was upgraded to a Nile View Suite. Pre check in email let me select which toiletries I would like (Chose Shanghaitang). Breakfast buffet was good. Asian and Grill both excellent. Hotel Bar was nice and well located to get to a vast variety of restaurants and bars. All staff very friendly and professional.
Too bad I changed my reservation to Ramses. I am Gold, now I could see they have upgrade me to suite as well.
Old Mar 16, 13, 8:51 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG PLT (LT Gold), TK Gold, M&M S, BA Silver, Hyatt Dia
Originally Posted by Putra View Post
Too bad I changed my reservation to Ramses. I am Gold, now I could see they have upgrade me to suite as well.
We went to the Ramses for a drink and was very disappointed with what we saw in the reception area. I do hope the rooms are better for you.
Old Mar 16, 13, 9:03 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai View Post
We went to the Ramses for a drink and was very disappointed with what we saw in the reception area. I do hope the rooms are better for you.
What do you see at reception? Ohh my...
Old Mar 16, 13, 10:46 am

It just looked like a 3* more than a Hilton. The pub had 3 people in it me and two friends. The whole hotel seemed very quiet and is located on a busy junction.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_R...vernorate.html
Old Jul 14, 14, 2:53 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, 06, GA, Hyatt, Marriott
My first introduction to the Conrad brand was at the Conrad Miami in 2006. I had just two nights there on my first round the world trip (I think I was probably HHonors Blue at the time) but absolutely loved it. It set the tone for Conrad stays for me. Since then my exposure to Conrads has been limited - once in Hong Kong and three or four in Singapore - but they have been great and what I would expect from the brand.

The Conrad Cairo should not be a Conrad.

My stay was during Ramadan but that doesn't impact on most aspects.

The hotel reminds me of the Parmelia Hilton Perth or, for those more North American inclined, a regular Hilton Garden Inn, in at least as far as the rooms and general furnishings were concerned. If this were the mid 1980s, this hotel would probably be considered quite luxurious. But in 2014, not so much.

I checked-in in the Executive Lounge but was not provided with any information whatsoever about benefits. There was no mention of breakfast, evening drinks and canapés, internet etc. The lounge was open from 5.30pm to 7pm for the usual fare which was only okay. The lounge itself is nice but, again, dated, although there is a large outdoor terrace with tables and chairs that provide a nice view of the Nile and sunset. The evening spread consisted of two hot dishes that changed daily and a small number of cold appetizers and sweets. Interestingly, there were also a small number of mini-burger-type snacks available during the day. On one day that sufficed for my lunch. Drinks have to be requested and there is no menu.

I received an executive floor room on level 20, the lowest of the five executive floors. The room was of reasonable size with a good size bathroom, separate tub and bidet and good size vanity. There was a nice balcony with a couple of chairs and the same views as the EL. The TV was large and had plenty of channels but few in English. The bed was a little soft for my liking and the pillows, while the size of coffee tables, were particularly thin. It was my own fault for not availing myself of the pillow menu. There was a DVD player but no DVD library which always perplexes me. These days, who travels with DVDs? The refrigerator was cold which is always nice and I received a tray of sweets and a fruit platter (as well as a welcome note) that was replenished twice during my four night stay. The toilet would make a conservationist fume, flushing water for a good 20 seconds and with no option for 1/2 flush, highlighting the age of the place. The in-room air-conditioning was very good and very responsive to the slightest change on the dial. The thing that struck me the most about the room was this bedside clock radio. Again, to me it was something more at home in a Harden Inn or even a Homewood Suites. I thought there was a brand standard for this type of thing.

I found the concierge quite helpful. Still in the early days of this trip I've found myself in need of having to send things home, my baggage already getting heavy. DHL and the like are too expensive considering there is no urgency to the delivery so I enquired with concierge about their regular postal service. I was directed to Attaba which is apparently the site of their main or one of their main postal outlets. I went there in a taxi but nobody spoke English, rendering the trip pointless. I passed this onto the EL attendant and she made a call. Following that I had a gentleman come to my room with a couple of different size boxes to send the goods home and concierge made enquiries with the postal service directly about costs. It ended up being too expensive but it was clear the staff had gone out of their way/done their job in trying to assist.

Housekeeping was quite good and efficient. However, once the housekeeper let himself in without knocking. On the final day, I got a knock at the door just before I went to breakfast. I reminded the housekeeper that I was checking out in about an hour. Ten minutes later I went to breakfast but when I returned the housekeeper was cleaning my room. As I finished my packing, he stayed and completed the job. Weird. I tipped housekeeping EGP10 (about USD1.30) per day, along with a small box of a Godiva chocolate that I'd collected on my incoming Qatar flight.

I had room service once and it was delivered in a reasonable time. It was well-priced and of good quality, delivered on one of those tables on wheels with a linen tablecloth.

Using the Conrad Concierge app I had pre-ordered the Shanghai Tang amenities. They were there on arrival but were not re-stocked throughout my stay. The app itself surprised me. One night I thought I'd give it a run for its money. I ordered an English language newspaper, a shoe shine and information about a water park. Not 10 minutes later I received a call from concierge confirming the paper (which was then delivered for the remaining mornings), advising the shoe shine man had left for the day but tomorrow would be fine and advising the water park was closed at the moment. I was pleasantly surprised.

The pool is a good size and there is a poolside bar. The fitness centre is of average size and has limited equipment, unless cardio is your thing (but no ergo). I did 45 minutes on the treadmill and twice during the workout an attendant brought me an ice cold towel.

Twice I approached reception to change Egyptian pounds into smaller notes for tipping and on both occasions the receptionist deferred to someone else to fulfil my request. That resulted in the agent going down a level and returning three or four minutes later. Also weird.

There was a security screening point at the entrance to the hotel. I've never known quite what to make of these at hotels. (Should it make me feel safer or more concerned that I'm in a hotel that demands one?) The internet service was poor. Several times it took three to four minutes to download 3MB of emails. It also became difficult to connect to sometimes which was frustrating.

I had breakfast in the main restaurant on all four of my mornings (which, from memory, was due to Ramadan more than a Diamond benefit). I was one of only two people there, for my entire 45 minutes or so. Twice I was asked for my room number and twice if I wanted a hot drink. Staff outnumbered guests quite easily. There was a chef cooking eggs to order. I ordered scrambled eggs that were the worst cooked-to-order I can recall having, runny and almost tasteless. My other three mornings were much the same: always more staff than guests and only ever four or five other people, at most.

I used Viator to pre-arrange transportation from the airport to the hotel for AUD43. The agent met me prior to Immigration and helped me with my bags. On the return, I used the Hotel's Toyota Corolla (or "Toyota Crola" as it's spelt in the paraphernalia) for EGP270 (much the same price but a better ride).

The staff, overall, appeared genuinely interested in helping and assisting but at the same time were visibly bored, perhaps due to Ramadan.

I did not enjoy Egypt in the least but if I had to return I would try another Hilton brand.
Old Feb 18, 15, 2:41 am

Hi guys.

I have booked the Conrad Cairo and will arrive 01:20am on Friday.

Which form of transportation would you recommend ?

Hotel Limo,Taxi,Shuttle ( if there is one ),etc.

Thank you beforehand.
Old Feb 18, 15, 5:48 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold, LH FTL, FBP, CCG, HH Diamond
Personally, I'd recommend an airplane, so you can get the hell out of Egypt ASAP. But if you are really dead set on going there, I would have the hotel limo pick me up to minimize the risk of being scammed.

Search this Thread