Conrad Cairo {EGY}

Old Jul 27, 06, 10:56 pm

Cairo Conrad

My wife and I are planning on going to Cairo (Conrad) in October for 3 nights before traveling on.

Other than seeing the pyramids, bazaar, and museum what else should we be aware of...?

The hotel looks great on the website, well appointed.

Anyone have any experience there recently?

Thanks, renman
Old Jul 27, 06, 11:18 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/AA-Plat/HY-Globalist/BA-CCR/GGL/Gold for Life
I was there earlier in the year and it is a nice property - a little away from the main area but nothing a taxi ride does not solve. Can be noisy owing to mosque nearby and the recorded calls to prayer.

Lounge - if you are allowed access - is pretty good - friendly and helpful staff generally.

Have a great time!
Old Aug 13, 06, 1:26 pm

Angry Conrad Cairo SUCKS

The Conrad Cairo is the worst hotel I've stayed at in a long time. I had an extended stay there and was treated horribly, despite the fact that I am a DIAMOND LEVEL VIP.

Firstly, they "lost" my pickup-and-meet reservation for the airport, so I had to convince their airport rep to get me a car. Once I got to the hotel I complained and told them I wasn't going to pay for it because it was supposed to have been arranged for me to get the pick up and processing through the visa/passport lines. They said they'd check with the manager. Nothing happened , except that I refused to pay it when I checked out and they relented after 10 minutes of me ranting.

Then I was told that there were no executive floor rooms, and was put in on a smoking floor instead (note, there are only 3 non-smoking floors apparently - it's a crap shoot otherwise) despite my booking for a non-smoking room. I asked if, when an executive floor room came available, they might let me move to it, they said they would have to ask the manager (nothing ever happened).

So then we get to the room. Room was generally fine, but they are supposed to bring 2 bottles of water everyday (because you do NOT want to drink the tap water). I got water maybe every other day. The same goes for a newspaper, some days I got it, some i didn't. So I decided to talk to the sales manager. She took my concerns down and was going to look into them.

Nothing happened.

Then they started taking down the wallpaper in my hallway of the hotel, which had a very strong scent. I at LEAST expected a letter in my room informing me of the renovations and how long they would last. Nothing. Nada.

So I then wrote the General Manager of the hotel.

I actually got a call on my cell phone from the sales manager asking me how I got her bosses email! Then she wanted to meet with me, at which point I did, and she basically patronized every complaint I had (including the pick up by car) and made it to put me on the defensive! Basically, this hotel has forgotten (or never learned) that the customer is always right. They have no concept of service here - I never got any sort of compensation! No points for my trouble, no letter saying sorry.

Bottom line: The Conrad blows.
Old Aug 13, 06, 3:35 pm

The Conrad Cairo is enjoyable

Originally Posted by renman95
My wife and I are planning on going to Cairo (Conrad) in October for 3 nights before traveling on.

Anyone have any experience there recently?
I spent a few days at the Conrad earlier this year and I was quitely impressed. As a Diamond I was upgraded to the Executive Floor with a large well appointed room with a Nile view. The most impressive thing about the hotel is the price - just about $100 plus tax and service. Make sure that you look for an "internet special" and see if you can find a rate that includes tax and service.

Although the Conrad is a fine hotel, I personally prefer the Grand Hyatt when I am visiting Cairo.
Old Sep 21, 08, 6:47 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM, DL KMwannabe, HH, AA, TG,
2 quick Conrad Cairo questions

My partner, mom and I are spending one night in Cairo (cruise ship overnight stop) and from everything i've read here, the Conrad sounds like the choice.

Two quickies- Anyone have a sense of how likely an upgrade is? I'm Diamond; it's one night , Oct. 29.

Anyone have an email for the general manager? I have found, in the past, that emailing him/her directly before arrival has reaped unexpected rewards!!

Thanks
Old Sep 21, 08, 8:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IC Plat, SPG Gold
Email: [email protected]

Hilton UK site has the contact emails that work most of the time. http://www.hilton.co.uk/conradcairo
Old Sep 21, 08, 10:54 am

Thats the email for the GM, or just a clerical person?
BTW, I'm impressed with the amount of info on the Hilton UK site....THANKS for sharing!
Old Sep 21, 08, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVPG, Marriott Plat, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Steve007NY View Post
Anyone have an email for the general manager? I have found, in the past, that emailing him/her directly before arrival has reaped unexpected rewards!!
I am curious, what are you writing in your email to the GM?
Old Sep 21, 08, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH Diamond
I stayed there twice on points over the summer and was upgraded to the executive level both times but all that really tells you is about the occupancy during those weeks.

From the layout of the building and the placement of the balconies i don't think the exec level rooms are bigger- so if you get a standard room with club access (assuming you requested the upgrade as your "My Way" benefit) I don't think you will be terribly disadvantaged over the exec level room.
Old Sep 21, 08, 2:34 pm

When it truly IS some special occasion (e.g. our anniversary, or a trip to Hawaii for my mom's 77th birthday) I've written to the general manager asking about the possibility of an upgrade or "special room" prior to arrival and had some wonderful 'surprises'. It's not something I do with any great frequency (frankly, with Diamond access to the lounge and mostly solo business travel, if the room is clean and not obscenely noisy, I couldn't care less where I sleep.) This trip is basically celebrating what I think my mother believes is our last opportunity to do major "world travel" (from Israel to an Eastern Mediterranean cruise to four days in Istanbul. I've tried to splurge on "front of the plane" frequent flyer award tickets, upgraded suite on the cruise, and figured it can't hurt to ask the GM at the Cairo Conrad to help join me in making this a special trip for her.

Just hope this doesn't become one of those "worked for me, now every FTer will do it" activities!!!
Old Sep 21, 08, 2:54 pm

BTW, found the email for the newly appointed (July 7) GM....
Old Sep 21, 08, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by Steve007NY View Post
BTW, found the email for the newly appointed (July 7) GM....
IMHO you should never email GM bragging for an upgrade.
Old Sep 21, 08, 4:20 pm

I assume you meant "begging." Thanks so much for sharing your feelings with me... when i need an etiquette monitor, I'll be sure to private message you. I actually get pleasure when *I* can provide something special for someone... but understand that isn't necessarily a universal characteristic.
Old Aug 3, 09, 2:35 am

Programs: BA*G, UA1K, SPG-P, HH-G, GP-D, IC-RA
It is a shame they no longer offer free wifi in the exec lounge. They charge approximately $30/24hrs now. Can't wait until Hiltons/Conrads waive internet connection fees to D members.

*They let me use the room until 6 p.m. and the exec lounge until 8 p.m. for free because my flight was 11 p.m.

Last edited by kats; Aug 5, 09 at 7:23 am
Old Apr 15, 11, 12:55 am

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, AA Plat, Avis PC and lots of other plastic cards with logos on them.
Maybe staying here this upcoming July and wanted to get some recent insight into how the property treats Diamonds, are there still rubber ducky's in the bath tub and any other stuffed animals laid out for us to take? Oh, and how is the exec lounge for meals? Do they offer afternoon tea and evening cannapes?

Yes.... I love to collect the Conrad rubber ducky's. And yes.... that is pretty much the only reason I will stay at a Conrad. LOL

Search this Thread