Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Singapore {SGP}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Singapore {SGP}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2003, 7:57 am

Programs: Ex-Continental Platinum Elite, HHonors Diamond Preferential VIP, Former Continental Platinum Elite
I was at the Conrad on point stretcher last month - and it was the finest HHonors experience I have EVER had.

Needless to say, my vote is with the Conrad......
Old Feb 17, 2003, 12:56 pm

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
For conveniences purposes, the Hilton is better. It's closer to shopping centres and the subway station (Orchard).

You would need to walk a bit (underground) to get to the subway station from Conrad.

The only thing I have against the Hilton is their smoking to non-smoking ratio. When I was booking trips to Singapore, I can never find a non-smoking room.
Old Feb 17, 2003, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hotlancer:
I was at the Conrad on point stretcher last month - and it was the finest HHonors experience I have EVER had.
</font>
That's probably because of the company you kept.
Old Feb 18, 2003, 11:39 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by doctajay:
Does anyone have a good e-mail address for the Conrad? I sent something to the address listed on the Conrad SIN website - but no response after 4 days.
I am checking in PS availability for an upcoming trip
</font>
I used the email address on the web site and received a reply next day from Connie - Was able to book PS2 for 27k points by using the HH site hack to check availability. Called 1-800-HH, made the res and printed the cert from my account. Looking forward to first SIN Conrad stay.

[This message has been edited by RDY3238 (edited 02-18-2003).]
Old Feb 19, 2003, 10:17 am

PS runners - The Conrad web site is now showing property at Executive level - not Select, therefore requiring even less points for PS dates.
PS2 = 21k PS3 = 30k
Old Feb 19, 2003, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RDY3238:
PS runners - The Conrad web site is now showing property at Executive level - not Select, therefore requiring even less points for PS dates.
PS2 = 21k PS3 = 30k
</font>
It may say that on the web site, but it is still Select in the HHONORS reservation system. According to HHONORS the web site is in error.
Old Jul 16, 2003, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold,HH Gold
Hilton HHonors Properties in Singapore Trip Reports and Reviews

I just returned from a 7 night stay in Singapore which gave me a chance to sample both Hilton properties there.

Hilton Singapore: 1 night on arrival award stay. (1 page of pics)
http://groups.msn.com/TheSuhFamilyWe...erageroom.msnw
On arrival, I was told that there were no more rooms available on the exec. floor. I am a Diamond. This was kind of funny because they were available when I checked that morning. It was late and I didn't want to argue. I got free breakfast for 2. The room was OK with nice appointments. The Hilton Singapore complex houses some of the finest luxury brands from around the world. Made me a little nervous being there with the wife
It is also located at the end of Orchard Road which is a serious shopping street from what I saw.

Conrad Centennial Singapore: 6 night award stay. (4 pages of pics)
http://groups.msn.com/TheSuhFamilyWe...nialsuite.msnw
Upon arrival, I was told that the Executive Floor was closed for renovation. Funny how they never mentioned this fact in the several email correspondence that I had with the hotel prior to my arrival. So already off to a bad start. I specifically was staying here after reading so many good things about their executive floor from other FTers. I ask about any suites available that I would be willing to pay for to upgrade. After several minutes, she tells me that one will be available after 2 nights for $100 Singapore dollars a night for 4 nights. I accepted. At least I got the free breakfast for 2. The average room I stayed in for 2 nights was nothing to write home about. We had a lot of stuff(7 nights worth of luggage) and found it hard to spread out and enjoy ourselves. The room layout offered little floor space. Once we moved to the suite, there was much more breathing space and it was much more comfortable. We received the Centennial Suite which every floor seemed to have. Some things I noticed: There is a big difference in water pressure in the shower of the 2 different room types. The water pressure in the suite was much stronger. The pool was nice. We went swimming one time. Pool attendants brought us a nice cold glass of water. They have a very nice lobby. Mediocre restaurants at the hotel. Location was the saving grace for us this trip. Situated right next to the Suntec Shopping Center, one is able to walk quite a way in a huge radial circle from the hotel all in the comfort of air conditioning which is set at a very nice cold setting. SIN has a very extensive underground travelway. The breakfast was OK. Taxis were hard to find in the evenings no matter where you were. All major hotels and shopping centers had major taxi cues after around 5 PM. The service was OK. This was the first Conrad property that I have stayed at and I was not too impressed.(not just because of the exec. floor issue) The staff was nice but looked like they were just going through the motions. It took them a long time to do things. I have been treated much better at other Hiltons worldwide. I don't care too much for bears and little ducks. Just my thoughts.

[This message has been edited by korea71 (edited 07-19-2003).]
Old Jul 16, 2003, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
Did you also get afternoon tea and evening cocktails when the executive floor is closed? I understand they did the tea/cocktails for elites when the executive floor lounge was closed back in May when I was there, is that still done? Is the entire executive floor section closed? I am returning in two weeks at both properties and would like to get this issue sorted out. If I can't anticipate an upgrade then I would just move my business to the R-C, where the executive lounge still offers 5 times a day refreshments.

[This message has been edited by jkc22 (edited 07-16-2003).]
Old Jul 16, 2003, 2:26 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jkc22:
Did you also get afternoon tea and evening cocktails when the executive floor is closed? I understand they did the tea/cocktails for elites when the executive floor lounge was closed back in May when I was there, is that still done? Is the entire executive floor section closed? I am returning in two weeks at both properties and would like to get this issue sorted out. If I can't anticipate an upgrade then I would just move my business to the R-C, where the executive lounge still offers 5 times a day refreshments.</font>
No afternoon tea or evening cocktails unless you wanted to pay for it. The whole exec. floor is closed down because I actually went up there just to check it out. Now that I saw what you posted about elite treatment in May, I feel even more bummed my Diamond status didn't do squat for me. I wanted to forfeit 1 or 2 of my award nights to stay at the Ritz Carlton or the Four Seasons but my wife strongly objected to having to pack again.
Old Jul 16, 2003, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by korea71:
No afternoon tea or evening cocktails unless you wanted to pay for it. The whole exec. floor is closed down because I actually went up there just to check it out. Now that I saw what you posted about elite treatment in May, I feel even more bummed my Diamond status didn't do squat for me. I wanted to forfeit 1 or 2 of my award nights to stay at the Ritz Carlton or the Four Seasons but my wife strongly objected to having to pack again.</font>
FWIW, the SIN Hilton properties are not especially outstanding, and the Conrad is among the worst performing of Conrad's in Asia (Conrad BKK and HKG are much better with upgrades and service). If my so called "loyalty" to Hilton is not recognized at either property in SIN, then I would walk! FYI, the Pan Pacific, Oriental, and Raffles Plaza all offer rates in the $90US range and provide either upgrades to deluxe/oceanview or include breakfast/F&B credits.

Why am I paying $120US a night at the Hilton and Conrad if I cannot have guaranteed benefits, especially when the latter goes on Priceline for $55US! Double points would be the last line between my loyalty to Hilton if I continue to be denied benefits.
Old Jul 16, 2003, 3:14 pm

It was just the overall feeling that I got that reduced my enjoyment of the hotel. Employee attitudes were lacking. They made me feel that they were doing me a huge favor by allowing me to pay for an upgrade. Check-in took 20 mins with no one but me at the desk. They had many chances through email to tell me about the renovation of the executive floor but they neglected to. I had asked them about the exec. floor many times before my stay. Funny thing was, Exec. Level rooms were available on their website before I left. I hope you have better luck. Probably won't be staying there again my next time in SIN.
Old Jul 16, 2003, 3:51 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jkc22:
If I can't anticipate an upgrade then I would just move my business to the R-C, where the executive lounge still offers 5 times a day refreshments.

[This message has been edited by jkc22 (edited 07-16-2003).]
</font>

If you want somewhere decent in the same location try the Marina Mandarin, I've always stayed there when in Sin but last trip tried the Conrad instead for the points. Booked an exec floor room to get the upgrade to a suite.

Anyway, I prefer the MM, the staff aren't as friendly but you get a balcony which is great for Tiger at 3 AM and the Atrium is amazing.

Always seems to be either someone important staying there or a wedding whenever I go !Suppose that means it's well rated by others as well.

Nigel

Old Jul 16, 2003, 6:34 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, Hilton, Marriott, and Northwest
I am not sure why but I have had three stays at the SIN Conrad and 2 at the Hilton. I really felt a change a year or so ago. My last stay was at the very beginning of SARS and was very disapointing. Service dropped off significantly from the previous one, 8 months before. It was during that time that they made a decision that they would not upgrade to exec floor gold from cheapest rate. The hotel comes across pretty average especially if you have any other hotel stays in BKK or HKG etc during the same trip. I wondered after the trip if there was a shake up at the hotel pre SARS that explains the change from all the previous posts from a year ago and before? Any of the frequent stayers know of any changes?

------------------
Robert
Old Jul 17, 2003, 12:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Loyal to Myself
I have stayed at the Singapore Conrad three times, most recently this March, and have two more trips there for later this year. I was always satisfied with my stays in all regards, but...

These posts were very illuminating. It reminded me that Hilton elected to downgrade me from Gold to Silver this year, and that they no longer get my "default" loyalty.

Combined with the posts above, I decided to go to Priceline. I got the Marriott for one of my trips at $55.00 per night, which is a bit less than half the lowest Conrad rate I could find. My bid for the other trip was rejected, but I will retune it in a few days and try again.
Old Jul 17, 2003, 1:34 pm

i think u guys should contact the mgr personally. they r the ppl who r enpowered to do anything.

having said that, service is not 2nd nature to singaporeans. they demand it, but seldom give it. also, u might get better attention if u were caucasian.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.