Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Boston Back Bay {US-MA}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2006, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
This assumption was based on cbalaska's experience as a hotel manager as described in the thread quoted above. But I'm certainly perfectly willing to believe that the recorded talk about the incident being investigated prior to evacuation is nothing but a barefaced lie.
Actually it sounds like the hotel has the same automated system we do as ours says the same thing, almost word for word, when it goes off (we have an 'event in the bldg' that is being investigated vs. the 'incident' described above).
Old Jun 28, 2006, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by txrus
Actually it sounds like the hotel has the same automated system we do as ours says the same thing, almost word for word, when it goes off (we have an 'event in the bldg' that is being investigated vs. the 'incident' described above).
I'm sure it's the same one. Recent research shows that sleep is crucial for the consolidation of memory, and I certainly didn't catch enough of it to be certain whether it said "event" or "incident"
Old Jun 29, 2006, 11:46 pm

I was also in the Hilton Boston Back Bay that night -- except I was on the 26th (top, honors) floor when the alarm went off.

It's a little creepy because the night before, as I looked out the window at the view, I thought what a terrific view I had. Then I remembered I'd also had a great view at the Hilton Glasgow last summer from way up high on an honors floor and remembered how the emergency alarm had gone off big-time in the middle of the night just a few days after the London terrorist bombings. I was groggy and unprepared in Glasgow, scurrying around for shoes and cell phone (in case it was another terrorist threat, or if there was broken glass, etc. -- the atmosphere after London in the UK was a bit tense) . I don't remember how many long flights I'd walked down in Glasgow (and then walked up after standing on the sidewalk for over a half hour); then it went off again less than an hour later! Same walk down, walk up. I vowed the next day to always have a "dash and run" set-up at bedside before going to sleep (shoes, cell, valuables, jacket, stuff you can put on in <30 seconds in case you're out of the hotel for a long time). But until this Boston trip I hadn't really complied. Oddly, looking at the view in Boston the night before, I'd remembered Glasgow and thought about the long way down and 'what if a fire alarm went off' -- long shot though I thought it was -- so I put the stuff I'd need right there at bedside that night and sure enough the alarm went off!! Quite the coincidence.
When I got back to my room after the first run I didn't bother to take my clothes and shoes off, figuring there was a good chance the alarm would go off again just like in Glasgow -- as it did (just as I'd nodded off)

Some people may have taken the elevators because the first time, if you looked out the window you could see the fire truck pulling AWAY from the hotel after a few minutes and going back into its firehouse, just a block away (so that plus no smoke smell may have convinced them it was a false alarm and they rode down to see what was going on, as there was no announcement and you couldn't get through on the phone)

Maybe these false alarms will become a routine at Hilton -- in which case they should send little reminders to have your dash-and-run set-up ready and provide a discount (I didn't ask for a discount at check-out, figuring it's just one of those things
Old Jul 1, 2006, 10:52 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Looking out of the window and drawing intelligent conclusions... you were obviously a lot more awake than me!

Oh, and they charged me for that night. If they'd bothered to distribute a proper apology, or if it had been only one alarm and not too, I'd also have filed it under "one of those things". As things were, they gave a one-night discount without any argument.
Old Jul 1, 2006, 6:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I stayed at Marriott YYZ City Centre last year & alarm went off 3 times in 1 night. We didn't need to evacuate (stay while investigating, but the recording kept going on about every minute until FD showed up/determined no problem each time; that was annoying). I didn't ask for or expect a discount or free room. Just put it down as 'stuff happens'. Now, if the place had been on fire I might have reconsidered .

Cheers.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP (3.8 mm), HH Diamond
Boston Back Bay contact

Does anyone have a contact email or phone number for the Boston Hilton Back Bay - Manager, Front Desk Manager, etc.

Thanks!
Old May 18, 2009, 7:46 pm

Boston - Hilton Bay Back

I going to Boston for the weekend to see the Red Sox at Fenway. Any advice for this weekend trip? Staying at the Hilton Bay Back. Does anyone have explicit subway instructions from Logan airport? I will be traveling with 2 teenagers that have no tolerance for mistakes. Monday will be sightseeing. Advice here would be great to keep the teens entertained, however, they aren't much for long walks that I would perfer. Thanks in advance.
Old May 18, 2009, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Beachlady
I going to Boston for the weekend to see the Red Sox at Fenway. Any advice for this weekend trip? Staying at the Hilton Bay Back. Does anyone have explicit subway instructions from Logan airport? I will be traveling with 2 teenagers that have no tolerance for mistakes. Monday will be sightseeing. Advice here would be great to keep the teens entertained, however, they aren't much for long walks that I would perfer. Thanks in advance.
You'll find these answers (and many others) in the New England forum -which is almost entirely devoted to Boston
Old May 18, 2009, 7:59 pm

Programs: MR Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
Hey it's the Hilton Back Bay (words are swapped!) and that's key if you're taking a cab. I have colleagues who are Hiltons and hate this property so much that they actually stay with me in the Marriott even though they have no status there.

At any rate, it's a fabulous location - almost all of Boston is walkable. Your concierge (or any other tourist outlet) can give you a map. The highlights (for history buffs) are along the red line painted on the ground. It's called "the Freedom Trail" and takes you past so many key locations.

Some fun weird stuff for the non-history freaks (or bored teenagers) are the graves of Sam Adams, Paul Revere, and Mother Goose right by the Boston Common. Across the street (roughly - it's kinda diagonal) is a plaque on the ground where you can look out and see the steeple of "one if b y land, two if by sea" fame.

Um, Faniel Hall is good for people watching. Used to be the center of govenment but now is a massive food court complete with street performers. Also the oldest bar in america (bell in hand) is there as well as the famous Union Oyster House.

Cross the street from Faniel Hall and oyu're at the waterfront. Note that "Back Bay" is nowhere near the water (in bostonian terms) but is named so because it USED to be. it was long ago filled in creating fanieul hall and surrounding area. also close to fanieul hall and the waterfront is the north end - which is the italian sector.

i dunno - i used to live there so it's hard to be a tourist again, but for fun stuff for teenages, you can always try Fire and ICe for lunch or dinner. it's near the hotel, and is a mongolian bbq joint (ie, you pick all the raw foods and sauces and they stiry fry it for you in front of your eyes).

a quick T ride can take you to harvard square in cambridge. a semi-indie store (Newbury Comics) has a bunch of import and inddependent CDs (both on Newbury street and Fanieul Hall). Newbury street is good window shopping with hipster boutiques closer to the farthest end and moving (not so slowly) upscale with the posh boutiques closest to the public garden.

ican't think oif much more. it's great this time of year - so enjoy!
Old May 18, 2009, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by MemphisQueen
I have colleagues who are Hiltons
Really?
Old Sep 24, 2009, 8:35 am

Programs: HH LifeTime Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt, AA, Delta
update on breakfast benefits

I had a recent stay. No more $15 per person bennies (as posted back in 2004). Breakfast for Gold/Diamond is $5.50 applied to the restaurant buffet or menu. Not allowed towards room service. There is a separate room tucked away for the free continental breakfast. This was not clearly explained at the restaurant hostess stand so we missed it the first morning of our stay. The free breakfast is superior to the restaurant IMO since the room is empty and quiet. There are hot, runny eggs but everything else is more than ample in the separate "hidden" room.

No upgrade on our room at all. Despite my pre-arrival phonecall with a manager and a pleasant chat at check-in with the front desk rep. I had paid extra for a corner room but they did not give us the wrap around window type with the upgraded shower. Nothing more than exactly booked. Not a big deal to me, but intended as a FYI only.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 11:28 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Amtrak Select Plus
Smile Hilton Back Bay Room Types

Hi:

For those of you who like the sweeping window style room; when making a reservation they are called "view" rooms and are always 2 rooms on each floor ending **15 or **16. The window must be 15+ feet long and starts about knee level.

The "Superior View" rooms are those on the top. The Superior Corner and plain Superior just reflect the high floors. Though the Corner rooms are far larger than any of the others. and a lrge proportion of the corners have small balconies. The Superior rooms do tend to have nice views of the river and the city.

While I love the "View Rooms", they are sometimes in various states of disrepair, more so than the corner rooms. Still I enjoy the view and the large double headed showers; but watch out for the peeping toms at the Sheraton!!!
Old Sep 24, 2009, 11:48 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by PVDtoGO
Hi:

For those of you who like the sweeping window style room; when making a reservation they are called "view" rooms and are always 2 rooms on each floor ending **15 or **16. The window must be 15+ feet long and starts about knee level.
We enjoyed the view from our 25th floor room during our stay a couple of weeks ago. No two-headed shower or wrap-around corner window but a pleasant room and satisfactory stay nonetheless. ^
Old Feb 7, 2010, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
I have been coming to BOS for years and have never ever stayed here. But booked this time based upon price and current HHonors promo. Got a early check-in, cert for Diamond "Lounge" within restaurant (they had hot eggs and oatmeal) and upgrade. I would stay again without doubt. Pretty quiet. Room service rates are crazy with a "tip", "admin" fee and $5 charge.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 10:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HH Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium
I stayed earlier this month for $89 for a standard room. The price was unbeatable, and it's close to Prudential Center for food and shopping.

I wanted to try the breakfast buffet the next morning (Tuesday), but it wasn't being offered. I ended ordering a la carte, which cost more than the buffet, but the food was fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.