Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton AMEX Card Redesign; Higher Annual Fee; New Benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 19, 2023, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Aspire Benefits (T&C here)
Unchanged:
  • Annual free night certificate with cardmember anniversary. Separate thread here.
  • Additional free night certificate for $60k spent in a calendar year
  • Same spending bonus categories (14x @ Hilton; 7x @ US restaurants, airlines & car rental; 3x @ all other)
  • Diamond status
  • $100 statement credit benefit for some Waldorf/Conrad stays. Separate thread here
New:
  • Additional free night certificate for $30k spent in a calendar year. Effective now so 2023 spending can earn this FNC
  • $200 statement credit at Hilton Resorts in H1 and $200 in H2. Begins 1/1/24 for existing cardholders Resort credit discussion link
  • $50 statement credit every quarter when a ticket is purchased from any airline or AmexTravel.
    No airline selection required. Technically incidentals are ineligible, but it may depend on how they post. Travel agencies ineligible.
    New counter is already showing in Amex login
    Discussion in a separate thread.
  • CLEAR Plus $189 credit per calendar year
  • $800 Cell phone insurance with $50 deductible
  • National Car Executive status
  • New physical card design
  • Annual fee increased from $450 to $550. For existing cardholders, this is effective 2/1/2024
Ending benefits:
  • $250 annual airline incidentals end 12/31/2023
  • $250 credit at Hilton Resorts ends 12/31/2023 Resort credit discussion link
  • Priority pass membership enrollment ends 1/31/2024. Must enroll by phone. If you enrolled before 2/1/2023 membership continues through 1/31/2024. If enrolled after, membership continues through 10/31/2024
Surpass Benefits (T&C here)
Unchanged:
  • Annual free night certificate with $15,000 spend
  • Gold status
New:
  • Added 4x spend on US online retailers (all other categories unchanged -- 12x @ Hilton; 6x @ US restaurants, US supermarkets & US gas stations; 3x @ all other) (for the no-annual-fee card: 7x @ Hilton; 5x @ the three bonus categories; 3x @ all other)
  • $200 credit for Hilton purchases (broken down to $50 per quarter)
  • New physical card design
  • Annual fee increased from $95 to $150. For existing cardholders, this is effective 2/1/2024
  • National Car Rental Emerald Club Executive status
Ending benefits:
  • Priority pass membership enrollment ends 1/31/2024. Must enroll by phone. If you enrolled before 2/1/2023 membership continues through 1/31/2024. If enrolled after, membership continues through 10/31/2024
Hilton Business Card Benefits (T&C here)
Unchanged:
  • Gold status
  • Earn Diamond status at $40k spent
  • Earn 12x at Hilton
New:
  • Added $60 Hilton credit per quarter
  • Added National Executive status
  • Added metal card design
  • Non-Hilton spending earns 5x on the first $100k each calendar year, then 3x
  • Annual fee raised from $95 to $195
Ending:
  • FNC program ends 6/30/24. Must meet spending thresholds by that date.
  • Priority Pass ends 6/30/24. If enrolled before 6/30/23, your PP ends 7/1/24. If enrolled after, your PP ends 3/1/25
  • Old spending bonus categories end 6/30/24
Current offer expires 6/5/24:
  • New member bonus 175k on $8k spent in 6 months
Print Wikipost

Hilton AMEX Card Redesign; Higher Annual Fee; New Benefits

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2023, 10:03 am

Programs: delta
Originally Posted by IIDXias
This is probably a stupid question but- will they send us the new design automatically if we already have the card? Do we have to message and ask them if we want it? I think the new Aspire looks a lot better than the old one I have, ha.
you can just request a new card with the reason "new design", that's what I just did in app.

wonder if the aspire will be metal?
IIDXias likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 10:05 am

Posted this in the other thread that got closed but again, based on how I’m reading the current terms & conditions, there should be no issue using the new semi-annual resort credit in one single resort stay in 2024. I see people saying they don’t want to make multiple resort stays in one year but I really don’t see why you would have to. You just need to do one stay in two steps:

1. Book a stay at an eligible Hilton resort by the end of June, for July through December, that costs at least $200 per night. Charge for the first night posts immediately, you get the $200 first half resort credit even though you didn't actually stay at a Hilton resort during the first half of the year.
2. Stay at the resort from July through December, make $200 worth of charges to your room bill (spa, food, whatever). Check out and get charged at least $200 by the resort. Resort credit for the second half of the year posts. Also thinking about it more, I don’t see why this wouldn’t work for simply the rest of your room rate too (if you stayed more than one night) when that gets charged at the end.

I just realized that I really made out well with this resort credit because of this change- my renewal date was like the end of August, I already charged a first night deposit on a resort stay for late October to my card and got the full $250 resort credit for my new membership year, and now apparently it will reset AGAIN to another $200 for January-June 2024, hah.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 10:18 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Got this card to pay for my wedding at a Hilton this year. Based on these changes... probably not something I'll keep. I've got too many premium cards as it is. Did enjoy the massive points earning opportunity on the spend.
BearX220 and TravelinSperry like this.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 10:30 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by beachmouse
I guess the key is to check the bottom right corner since the colors of the AmEx logos there are pretty different.
Not on my cards - the Amex logo on all 3 of my Hilton cards is the same shade of blue.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by aww3583
So... minimum 2-night stay required. Daily rate is $57 more, or $114 for the stay. But you get a $100 credit towards purchases made on-site.
As I said, YMMV.

Just because you evidently don't get value out of this benefit doesn't mean others don't. I've used it at the Conrad FLL, 2 or 3 times at both the Conrad BKK and Conrad SIN, and most recently 2 weeks ago at the Conrad Sardinia, just to name a few.

Sometimes it makes sense and can provide a decent savings, sometimes it doesn't.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 10:41 am

Programs: Iberia, BAEC GOLD/ Priority Club : ROYAL Amb / Miles and More: SEN
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Semi-annually, not quarterly.

I read it as now.
When will the new benefits come into effect?

If you are a Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card Member or a Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card Member, your new benefits will automatically come into effect on October 19, 2023.

Exception: For Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card Members, the enhanced $400 Hilton Resort Credit will come into effect on January 1, 2024. Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card Members can continue to enjoy up to $250 in statement credits for eligible purchases made directly with participating Hilton Resorts with their Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card through December 31, 2023.

So renewal at 450 next month, and directly 400 statement credit next year? :-)
nk15 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 10:43 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by scubadu
Furthermore, I guess I'd point out that yes, the Bonvoy Brilliant did jump from $450 to $650, but the benefit changes in that rollout were (at least IMHO) more valuable and dramatic. For example, at the $450 level, the card did not include Marriott Platinum status, but that was added with the increased fee (and Marriott Gold to Platinum is pretty big jump). It also added a greater number of EQNs, thus making attaining Titanium within reach for many customers. It added a monthly dining benefit, which for many is very easy to use. Finally, it added at 85K cert upon really (can't remember if they had that at the $450 level). All and all, those are some pretty substantial changes for the $200 delta on the Marriott card.
That's coz the old Brilliant's benefits sucked compared to Aspire. Even the new Brilliant at $650 AF is still very much inferior to either the old or new Aspire. It only confers Platinum status while Aspire confers higher-than-Platinum status. It only has 1 type of credit (monthly dining) while Aspire has airline AND resort credits. The 85k cert is not as inclusive as Aspire's no-limit cert, though there are more aspirational Marriotts than Hiltons, but you can only top off by 15k so the highest end hotels are off limits. All the while costing $100 more than the new Aspire.

Brilliant's monthly dining credit was in place before the AF increase. I think most people considered it a negative switch from the $300 Marriott credit.

I wish Hilton offered an equivalent of Marriott's 35k or 50k cert or IHG's 40k cert on the Surpass and Business card. There are lots of mid tier Hiltons within a 3 hour drive as a backup, but the aspirational properties that I want to use the Aspire resort credit on are far away.

Last edited by italdesign; Oct 19, 2023 at 10:50 am
Old Oct 19, 2023, 10:48 am

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Eh Marriott Platinum is > Hilton Diamond tbh. It's marginal but the guaranteed late check out swings it.

The comment re the cert being unlimited for HH (assuming there's a standard room) is a fair point but it's far easier to wash out $300 of the fee with the $30/month credit, the Aspire needs a lot more work for that even if it makes sense for some people.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
Eh Marriott Platinum is > Hilton Diamond tbh. It's marginal but the guaranteed late check out swings it.
Late checkout means very little to me. And there are plenty of Marriotts that don't offer the "guaranteed" late checkout. I just stayed in one such last weekend.

The comment re the cert being unlimited for HH (assuming there's a standard room) is a fair point but it's far easier to wash out $300 of the fee with the $30/month credit, the Aspire needs a lot more work for that even if it makes sense for some people.
I eat out a lot, and it takes effort to use the monthly credit. Times that by 12. Also it's $300 vs $600.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 10:59 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Yikes. Removal of Priority Pass is really a loss imo. I used it a lot when traveling Internationally. The AF increase now makes this card a wash for me but I will retain Diamond Status which has some benefit. But lately I've been booking less with Hilton directly and more with OTAs as their rates are much lower for the stays I've been booking. If that doesn't change... I may ditch this card. We shall see.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 11:10 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Semi-annually, not quarterly.
Thanks for pointing that out. Might help if I read things more carefully.

Makes it a bit less burdensome.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by stanj
If it doesn't appy to TB purchases going forward, then hopefully it'll cover fees and taxes on award tickets, which would actually be easier to use for me.
Award fee would be a good option to have, though I generally use cards with better travel insurance. Nonetheless the new credit should work for a lot more options like canceled-to-wallet AS fares. Not sure about AA GC tho.

As for the other changes, I don't like the resort credit going quarterly. It's hard enough for me to get to a resort once a year let alone four times. Wish they had gone the Surpass route and given it to any Hilton stay. I'll marginally miss the PP benefit, especially when traveling outside the US.
The new Aspire resort credit is 2x/yr. Surpass is 4x a year (but at any Hilton).
jenee likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 11:27 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; UA Gold; Marriott Gold; Accor Gold;
I assume most of this thread applied for the card in mid-January when it first opened, so my interpretation is that those with a Jan. annual renewal will be paying $450 for 2024. This gives those with the Jan. renewal a 1 year grace period and a bit of a financial windfall than those with a later renewal.

It will also be interesting to see if airline gift cards and/or other 'gift card like products' (United travelbank) funds will count toward the quarterly credit. Alternatively, you could also book a flight, receive the credit for the quarter, and then cancel the flight and maintain the full credit in your preferred airline.

Any word if we can use the free nights on any day of the week?
chapmanj9 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 11:28 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
I am a bit confused....

My anniversary is coming up (<1month away), any idea if I would still get the $250 hotel credit if I use it before 1/1/24?
Old Oct 19, 2023, 11:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by italdesign
That's coz the old Brilliant's benefits sucked compared to Aspire. Even the new Brilliant at $650 AF is still very much inferior to either the old or new Aspire. It only confers Platinum status while Aspire confers higher-than-Platinum status. It only has 1 type of credit (monthly dining) while Aspire has airline AND resort credits. The 85k cert is not as inclusive as Aspire's no-limit cert, though there are more aspirational Marriotts than Hiltons, but you can only top off by 15k so the highest end hotels are off limits. All the while costing $100 more than the new Aspire.

Brilliant's monthly dining credit was in place before the AF increase. I think most people considered it a negative switch from the $300 Marriott credit.

I wish Hilton offered an equivalent of Marriott's 35k or 50k cert or IHG's 40k cert on the Surpass and Business card. There are lots of mid tier Hiltons within a 3 hour drive as a backup, but the aspirational properties that I want to use the Aspire resort credit on are far away.
Late checkout means very little to me. And there are plenty of Marriotts that don't offer the "guaranteed" late checkout. I just stayed in one such last weekend.
Look, clearly it seems you have a little Marriott chip on the shoulder and that is fine. We all have to find what works for us. And Marriott isn't our prime program (Hyatt is). Though I respect your opinion I simply do not agree with you.

I find Marriott Platinum to be far more valuable than Hilton Diamond (frankly, IMHO Hilton Diamond is the weakest of the hotel top tiers). Late check-out absolutely does matter to us and its rarely not honored in our experience.

And with the respect to the dining credit, I just find this statement:
I eat out a lot, and it takes effort to use the monthly credit. Times that by 12. Also it's $300 vs $600.
laughable. I mean if you "eat out a lot" how can this credit possibly take effort to use? I don't know where you live but I just had lunch with a friend and I had a glass of water and a chicken sandwich and it was $18 before tax and tip. It's quite literally the easiest to use of all the Amex "coupon book" credits and seems far easier than having to line up two specific "resort" stays twice a year.

Finally, no, the original Brilliant card did not have a dining credit, it was added in lieu of the previous $300 Marriott credit. One can certainly argue that the Marriott credit was preferable to the dining credit, but it most certainly was not a feature of the orginal card. If you are going to come in hot with the negativity, at least make sure you are actually correct. (Source: https://thepointsguy.com/news/marrio...dining-credit/)

Look, I'm not trying to turn this thread into a Marriott vs. Hilton debate, that is off topic from this thread. My only point was that the its a 22% increase in the annual fee with, frankly, not that impressive of changes. Though admittedly, the changes (like most changes) work well for some and not as well for others. Everyone has to do their own calculus.

Regards
friedablass and ChurnieEls like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.