Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton AMEX Card Redesign; Higher Annual Fee; New Benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 19, 2023, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Aspire Benefits (T&C here)
Unchanged:
  • Annual free night certificate with cardmember anniversary. Separate thread here.
  • Additional free night certificate for $60k spent in a calendar year
  • Same spending bonus categories (14x @ Hilton; 7x @ US restaurants, airlines & car rental; 3x @ all other)
  • Diamond status
  • $100 statement credit benefit for some Waldorf/Conrad stays. Separate thread here
New:
  • Additional free night certificate for $30k spent in a calendar year. Effective now so 2023 spending can earn this FNC
  • $200 statement credit at Hilton Resorts in H1 and $200 in H2. Begins 1/1/24 for existing cardholders Resort credit discussion link
  • $50 statement credit every quarter when a ticket is purchased from any airline or AmexTravel.
    No airline selection required. Technically incidentals are ineligible, but it may depend on how they post. Travel agencies ineligible.
    New counter is already showing in Amex login
    Discussion in a separate thread.
  • CLEAR Plus $189 credit per calendar year
  • $800 Cell phone insurance with $50 deductible
  • National Car Executive status
  • New physical card design
  • Annual fee increased from $450 to $550. For existing cardholders, this is effective 2/1/2024
Ending benefits:
  • $250 annual airline incidentals end 12/31/2023
  • $250 credit at Hilton Resorts ends 12/31/2023 Resort credit discussion link
  • Priority pass membership enrollment ends 1/31/2024. Must enroll by phone. If you enrolled before 2/1/2023 membership continues through 1/31/2024. If enrolled after, membership continues through 10/31/2024
Surpass Benefits (T&C here)
Unchanged:
  • Annual free night certificate with $15,000 spend
  • Gold status
New:
  • Added 4x spend on US online retailers (all other categories unchanged -- 12x @ Hilton; 6x @ US restaurants, US supermarkets & US gas stations; 3x @ all other) (for the no-annual-fee card: 7x @ Hilton; 5x @ the three bonus categories; 3x @ all other)
  • $200 credit for Hilton purchases (broken down to $50 per quarter)
  • New physical card design
  • Annual fee increased from $95 to $150. For existing cardholders, this is effective 2/1/2024
  • National Car Rental Emerald Club Executive status
Ending benefits:
  • Priority pass membership enrollment ends 1/31/2024. Must enroll by phone. If you enrolled before 2/1/2023 membership continues through 1/31/2024. If enrolled after, membership continues through 10/31/2024
Hilton Business Card Benefits (T&C here)
Unchanged:
  • Gold status
  • Earn Diamond status at $40k spent
  • Earn 12x at Hilton
New:
  • Added $60 Hilton credit per quarter
  • Added National Executive status
  • Added metal card design
  • Non-Hilton spending earns 5x on the first $100k each calendar year, then 3x
  • Annual fee raised from $95 to $195
Ending:
  • FNC program ends 6/30/24. Must meet spending thresholds by that date.
  • Priority Pass ends 6/30/24. If enrolled before 6/30/23, your PP ends 7/1/24. If enrolled after, your PP ends 3/1/25
  • Old spending bonus categories end 6/30/24
Current offer expires 6/5/24:
  • New member bonus 175k on $8k spent in 6 months
Print Wikipost

Hilton AMEX Card Redesign; Higher Annual Fee; New Benefits

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2023, 8:30 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
The Aspire and Surpass are still too similar in color - always had a hard time making sure I grabbed the correct one out of my wallet, had to go by position, not color. Glad to see the no-fee will be completely different.
I guess the key is to check the bottom right corner since the colors of the AmEx logos there are pretty different.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 8:42 am

The Aspire and Surpass are still too similar in color - always had a hard time making sure I grabbed the correct one out of my wallet, had to go by position, not color. Glad to see the no-fee will be completely different.
A sharpie or sticker could fix that issue pretty quickly and easily
italdesign likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Smaug
The annual Waldorf/Conrad credit decreased from $200 to $100 as well.
Originally Posted by IIDXias
I honestly didn't even notice, probably because I've never been able to make use of that one.
That is not correct, this benefit has always been $100.

Also it is not an annual credit but just the ability to book a special rate when staying 2+ nights that gives you a $100 credit to use on property. You can book these rates as often as you want, I have used them many times.
jenee likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 8:53 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
That is not correct, this benefit has always been $100.

Also it is not an annual credit but just the ability to book a special rate when staying 2+ nights that gives you a $100 credit to use on property. You can book these rates as often as you want, I have used them many times.
And the rates are usually $100 more per stay, at least in my experience.
JoeWoodstock and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 8:56 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by beachmouse
I guess the key is to check the bottom right corner since the colors of the AmEx logos there are pretty different.
Yeah, but in my wallet they fit into slots so you only see the top quarter or so of each card. I'm fine, I figured out long ago what works for me. I'm just saying that totally different colors would help, then no need for sharpies or looking at logos.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 9:02 am

Why do credit card companies believe big spenders like to carry dark and dull colored cards? I like the design of the no fee card the most and if one could put $20k a year on that card, that should be a no brainer.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by aww3583
And the rates are usually $100 more per stay, at least in my experience.
Definitely not my experience. Sometimes it can be close, other times it's not much more than the regular rates. YMMV.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 9:15 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status
Originally Posted by FlyerAVL
The airline credit clearly states for scheduled flights btw now, so no more travelbank.
I think we have to wait and see on that. Previously, it clearly stated for incidentals only, but unofficially worked for TB.

If it doesn't appy to TB purchases going forward, then hopefully it'll cover fees and taxes on award tickets, which would actually be easier to use for me.

As for the other changes, I don't like the resort credit going quarterly. It's hard enough for me to get to a resort once a year let alone four times. Wish they had gone the Surpass route and given it to any Hilton stay. I'll marginally miss the PP benefit, especially when traveling outside the US.

I recently canceled my Clear account, but guess I'll reactivate now, for what that's worth.
SPN Lifer and gayste like this.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 9:26 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Yeah, but in my wallet they fit into slots so you only see the top quarter or so of each card. [...]
Put the cards into the slots upside down?
mbluecpa and stanj like this.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 9:29 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Definitely not my experience. Sometimes it can be close, other times it's not much more than the regular rates. YMMV.
So... minimum 2-night stay required. Daily rate is $57 more, or $114 for the stay. But you get a $100 credit towards purchases made on-site.

IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 9:29 am

Programs: United 1K, Frontier 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond/ Ambassador/ Milestoner
I just bought $50 on United Travel Bank with the card. We will see what happens.

If that does not work, then I will have to use it for Frontier flights. I just dread thinking about flying on Frontier four times a year.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 9:30 am

This is probably a stupid question but- will they send us the new design automatically if we already have the card? Do we have to message and ask them if we want it? I think the new Aspire looks a lot better than the old one I have, ha.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 9:42 am

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
For the Surpass Card, does anyone know when $50 Hilton credit per credit starts? Now? January 1, 2024?
Old Oct 19, 2023, 10:01 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by stanj
As for the other changes, I don't like the resort credit going quarterly. It's hard enough for me to get to a resort once a year let alone four times.
Semi-annually, not quarterly.
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
For the Surpass Card, does anyone know when $50 Hilton credit per credit starts? Now? January 1, 2024?
I read it as now.
When will the new benefits come into effect?

If you are a Hilton Honors American Express SurpassŪ Card Member or a Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card Member, your new benefits will automatically come into effect on October 19, 2023.

Exception: For Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card Members, the enhanced $400 Hilton Resort Credit will come into effect on January 1, 2024. Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card Members can continue to enjoy up to $250 in statement credits for eligible purchases made directly with participating Hilton Resorts with their Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card through December 31, 2023.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 10:03 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
It does say the Aspire will be metal while the Surpass will be plastic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.