Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton AMEX Card Redesign; Higher Annual Fee; New Benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 19, 2023, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Aspire Benefits (T&C here)
Unchanged:
  • Annual free night certificate with cardmember anniversary. Separate thread here.
  • Additional free night certificate for $60k spent in a calendar year
  • Same spending bonus categories (14x @ Hilton; 7x @ US restaurants, airlines & car rental; 3x @ all other)
  • Diamond status
  • $100 statement credit benefit for some Waldorf/Conrad stays. Separate thread here
New:
  • Additional free night certificate for $30k spent in a calendar year. Effective now so 2023 spending can earn this FNC
  • $200 statement credit at Hilton Resorts in H1 and $200 in H2. Begins 1/1/24 for existing cardholders Resort credit discussion link
  • $50 statement credit every quarter when a ticket is purchased from any airline or AmexTravel.
    No airline selection required. Technically incidentals are ineligible, but it may depend on how they post. Travel agencies ineligible.
    New counter is already showing in Amex login
    Discussion in a separate thread.
  • CLEAR Plus $189 credit per calendar year
  • $800 Cell phone insurance with $50 deductible
  • National Car Executive status
  • New physical card design
  • Annual fee increased from $450 to $550. For existing cardholders, this is effective 2/1/2024
Ending benefits:
  • $250 annual airline incidentals end 12/31/2023
  • $250 credit at Hilton Resorts ends 12/31/2023 Resort credit discussion link
  • Priority pass membership enrollment ends 1/31/2024. Must enroll by phone. If you enrolled before 2/1/2023 membership continues through 1/31/2024. If enrolled after, membership continues through 10/31/2024
Surpass Benefits (T&C here)
Unchanged:
  • Annual free night certificate with $15,000 spend
  • Gold status
New:
  • Added 4x spend on US online retailers (all other categories unchanged -- 12x @ Hilton; 6x @ US restaurants, US supermarkets & US gas stations; 3x @ all other) (for the no-annual-fee card: 7x @ Hilton; 5x @ the three bonus categories; 3x @ all other)
  • $200 credit for Hilton purchases (broken down to $50 per quarter)
  • New physical card design
  • Annual fee increased from $95 to $150. For existing cardholders, this is effective 2/1/2024
  • National Car Rental Emerald Club Executive status
Ending benefits:
  • Priority pass membership enrollment ends 1/31/2024. Must enroll by phone. If you enrolled before 2/1/2023 membership continues through 1/31/2024. If enrolled after, membership continues through 10/31/2024
Hilton Business Card Benefits (T&C here)
Unchanged:
  • Gold status
  • Earn Diamond status at $40k spent
  • Earn 12x at Hilton
New:
  • Added $60 Hilton credit per quarter
  • Added National Executive status
  • Added metal card design
  • Non-Hilton spending earns 5x on the first $100k each calendar year, then 3x
  • Annual fee raised from $95 to $195
Ending:
  • FNC program ends 6/30/24. Must meet spending thresholds by that date.
  • Priority Pass ends 6/30/24. If enrolled before 6/30/23, your PP ends 7/1/24. If enrolled after, your PP ends 3/1/25
  • Old spending bonus categories end 6/30/24
Current offer expires 6/5/24:
  • New member bonus 175k on $8k spent in 6 months
Print Wikipost

Hilton AMEX Card Redesign; Higher Annual Fee; New Benefits

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2023, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
The moderate increase from $450 to $550 is what is saving this from being 'ehh' and not ugh. The changes to the airline fee credit suck, because the $250 credit could already effectively be used for flights if you knew the airline specific workarounds. Now it's $50 less and dispensed quarterly. Increase in the resort credit is only valuable if you visit qualifying properties twice yearly on Amex's set schedule, which I never have. Clear, PP, cell phone insurance are all meaningless additions/reductions for me, and probably many of us that have one or more cards that already provide that.

Still a net positive card, but less of a net positive than it was, at least for me.

I wonder when the annual fees will increase for existing cardmembers since my renewal is up in December.
Yeah the airline credit workarounds is a good point. However, the resort credit isn’t nearly as strict as you’re making it out to be here, unless they change how it’s actually applied. As of now, you can use it on hotel nightly rates as long as they aren’t prepaid rates (i.e. they have to be charged by the hotel, not Hilton corporate). Many hotels still charge a deposit of a first night, and in my experience this always triggers the credit. So all you have to do is book a resort by May that costs at least $200 a night and get charged for the first night, and it will trigger the credit. The actual stay doesn’t have to be by the end of May- it can be for later.

Personally I had no issue using the credit in the past (usually I just use it in Vegas or something) and doubt I will in the future. But yeah, if you don’t generally use the resort credit to begin with then these changes are a much bigger bummer, I get it.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 7:01 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the FNC came after $60k in spending.

The website shows the following this morning:

Am I reading this correctly... one FNC after $30k in spending on the card, and another FNC at $60k in spending?

Screenshot from the AMEX T&Cs below:

That's worth the increase in AF to us.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by scubadu
It's a ~22% increase in the annual fee. You must have an interesting definition of "moderate."
I mostly meant relative to some other AF hikes we've seen recently, like the Bonvoy Brilliant, which went up to $650 from $450. With your adherences to %s, you must be really glad I didn't call the $55 increase of the Surpass fee "moderate" since that's a whopping 58%
Old Oct 19, 2023, 7:36 am

The airline credit clearly states for scheduled flights btw now, so no more travelbank

Also the Surpass and Aspire both get National Emerald Club Executive membership now.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 7:37 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I was actually considering upgrading the no fee Hilton card to the Surpass because it looks like an airport I use a bunch is going to get a Priority Pass lounge in 2024 but oh well, so much for that.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by beachmouse
I was actually considering upgrading the no fee Hilton card to the Surpass because it looks like an airport I use a bunch is going to get a Priority Pass lounge in 2024 but oh well, so much for that.
Well, I've had a string of negative / disappointing PP experiences, and several cases of denied entry, and no luck with the airport restaurant credit benefit because Amex-affinity members are (were) "select" second-tier members. I've always said I'm happy to have PP as a free card perk good for two or three positive visits per year, but I'd never pay for PP outright -- objectively, the PP program is a mess, with too many garbage lounges and too many cases of promised access denied.

That said, I'm kind of sorry to lose the benefit, or chance of an occasional score. It's like the old joke-critique of Catskills resort cuisine: "The food is terrible here ... and such small portions!:"

Not sure if I will continue with the Amex card overall. I don't like being pressured into more Hilton stays to mitigate the jacked-up annual fee. Life is too short and Gold / Diamond worth too little, at least in the US.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 7:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I mostly meant relative to some other AF hikes we've seen recently, like the Bonvoy Brilliant, which went up to $650 from $450. With your adherences to %s, you must be really glad I didn't call the $55 increase of the Surpass fee "moderate" since that's a whopping 58%
Fair point, though I always tend to think in percent change as that really makes clear the rate of change.

Furthermore, I guess I'd point out that yes, the Bonvoy Brilliant did jump from $450 to $650, but the benefit changes in that rollout were (at least IMHO) more valuable and dramatic. For example, at the $450 level, the card did not include Marriott Platinum status, but that was added with the increased fee (and Marriott Gold to Platinum is pretty big jump). It also added a greater number of EQNs, thus making attaining Titanium within reach for many customers. It added a monthly dining benefit, which for many is very easy to use. Finally, it added at 85K cert upon really (can't remember if they had that at the $450 level). All and all, those are some pretty substantial changes for the $200 delta on the Marriott card.

In the case of Hilton, folks were already getting Diamond for their $450, so no positive change there. The change to quarterly flight credits is a turn off to me; just another crazy coupon to keep track of (vs. using it once and being done for the year).

Full disclosure; I do not have the card, but had been thinking about it. A little less sure now. For folks that stay at Hiltons a lot, I can certainly see the value, but Hilton would be very much a "back-up to the back-up" program for us. The previous type of credits and annual fee made it pretty easy to extract value (which of course is why they are making the changes ) and though its certainly still possible to get value, it might be moving into my "too hard" pile for the time being.

Regards
friedablass and JoeWoodstock like this.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 7:46 am

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nall

Hilton Surpass...
- gets a $200 credit, split in four $50 (one per quarter). I think it's at any Hilton hotel?
- gets 4x points on online purchases

(No word on AF changes.)
Surpass seems to be going up to $150 for the Annual Fee
Old Oct 19, 2023, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by BearX220
Well, I've had a string of negative / disappointing PP experiences, and several cases of denied entry, and no luck with the airport restaurant credit benefit because Amex-affinity members are (were) "select" second-tier members. I've always said I'm happy to have PP as a free card perk good for two or three positive visits per year, but I'd never pay for PP outright -- objectively, the PP program is a mess, with too many garbage lounges and too many cases of promised access denied.

That said, I'm kind of sorry to lose the benefit, or chance of an occasional score. It's like the old joke-critique of Catskills resort cuisine: "The food is terrible here ... and such small portions!:"

Not sure if I will continue with the Amex card overall. I don't like being pressured into more Hilton stays to mitigate the jacked-up annual fee. Life is too short and Gold / Diamond worth too little, at least in the US.
Also it seems like every travel card these days gives PP. So they are going to be overcrowded anyway. Also lets be honest here, most hotel loyalty programs are worthless in the US with them giving status from credit cards and some hotels just ignoring the benefits anyway.
italdesign likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 8:07 am

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
The annual Waldorf/Conrad credit decreased from $200 to $100 as well.

If the surpass $200 of hotel credit can be used to buy gift cards online, like the old Marriott credit, I could see it worth it. Otherwise I am dumping the card
san888 likes this.

Originally Posted by Smaug
The annual Waldorf/Conrad credit decreased from $200 to $100 as well.
I honestly didn't even notice, probably because I've never been able to make use of that one.

Last edited by IIDXias; Oct 19, 2023 at 8:08 am Reason: add quote
Old Oct 19, 2023, 8:10 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by FlyerAVL
Also it seems like every travel card these days gives PP. So they are going to be overcrowded anyway. Also let’s th night be honest here, most hotel loyalty programs are worthless in the US with them giving status from credit cards and some hotels just ignoring the benefits anyway.
I find Hilton’s 5th night free on award stays even with Silver Elite to be pretty useful. Got us an extra night in Jackson Hole this year when the Homewood Suites cash price was $700 or so.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by FlyerAVL
...most hotel loyalty programs are worthless in the US with them giving status from credit cards and some hotels just ignoring the benefits anyway.
I think that syndrome is most acute with Hilton -- a combo of status-for-anyone-with-$95, plus rebellious properties reneging on promised benefits, plus no more free breakfast in the US, plus increasingly shabby hotels.

I think I'll probably downgrade to the no-fee card and feel freer to book properties I actually like, not places I feel yoked to because of mostly illusory Diamond / Gold privileges.
progapanda likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 8:20 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by seawolf
Noticed following Hilton card designs when logging into AMEX iOS app.

Hilton AMEX

Surpass

Aspire
The Aspire and Surpass are still too similar in color - always had a hard time making sure I grabbed the correct one out of my wallet, had to go by position, not color. Glad to see the no-fee will be completely different.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.