Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton now selling upgrades to Gold/Diamond. End of complimentary upgrades imminent?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton now selling upgrades to Gold/Diamond. End of complimentary upgrades imminent?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2022, 8:24 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by hugolover
I don't understand what you're complaining about really.

I take it you booked less than 72h before check-in time or the system didn't upgrade you due to occupancy. Manual upgrades at check-in or pre-arrivals list have not ceased.
You raise an interesting point - I booked that DT on 23 July for a stay yesterday (24 October) - but did not get pre-upgraded at 3 days. I did get pre-upgraded at other hotels las week. I did OLCI on the morning of 24 October. At that stage I had the option of about a dozen Queen rooms, as booked, and perhaps 20 King rooms for the 5 extra. So you're right, the DT should have proudly pre-upgraded me given that occupancy levels would have allowed for this. In other words online at least there was no way to get an upgraded room except via payment. I suspect at the desk that they would have done something on request.

In this particular case I was quite OK with the room I got, this property is not exactly the height of opulence but given the Diwali fireworks around Hounslow I wanted a sound proofed room more than anything else. But if I was looking to take advantage of a clear status benefit then I would have been disappointed with this new arrangement.

This hotel - and quite a few others - used to at OLCI allow higher level rooms to be made available at that point, more recently with the Upgrade arrow shown against the room concerned.
EDIflyer likes this.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Oct 25, 2022 at 8:36 am
Old Oct 25, 2022, 8:25 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by Schnit
So they think people are stupid …
Many businesses pander to and thrive on people who are too stupid or too lazy or too unsophisticated or too inexperienced to understand what’s what.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
You raise an interesting point - I booked that DT on 23 July for a stay yesterday (24 October) - but did not get pre-upgraded at 3 days. I did get pre-upgraded at other hotels las week. I did OLCI on the morning of 24 October. At that stage I had the option of about a dozen Queen rooms, as booked, and perhaps 20 King rooms for the 5 extra. So you're right, the DT should have proudly pre-upgraded me given that occupancy levels would have allowed for this. In other words online at least there was no way to get an upgraded room except via payment. I suspect at the desk that they would have done something on request.

In this particular case I was quite OK with the room I got, this property is not exactly the height of opulence but given the Diwali fireworks around Hounslow I wanted a sound proofed room more than anything else. But if I was looking to take advantage of a clear status benefit then I would have been disappointed with this new arrangement.

This hotel - and quite a few others - used to at OLCI allow higher level rooms to be made available at that point, more recently with the Upgrade arrow shown against the room concerned.
The terms have always been upgrade at checkin, some properties can't be bothered doing pre-arrival allocations. You've confirmed that previously OLCI wouldn't give you an upgraded room for free therefore nothing has changed as far as your stays go there. The upgrade arrow seems to be when it was done as part of pre-allocation, that's my experience? Any fault lies with lack of pre-arrival allocation but that's it. Maybe they forgot to do allocations, were busy, or your previous comments about not wanting upgrades here are in your profile?

Sometimes I open my stay on the day and see I've been upgraded, sometimes I see I have not and it can happen at checkin. In that case, like everyone on FT, I don't do the OLCI.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 8:56 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by hugolover
You've confirmed that previously OLCI wouldn't give you an upgraded room for free therefore nothing has changed as far as your stays go there.
I amended my post on that one - previously I would have had access to King rooms (but sometimes not Queen Rooms), and inconsistently there may have been an upgrade arrow. So absolutely they have taken something away here. But yes, it may be a one-off event which hasn't got any ramifications, or is profile linked.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 8:59 am

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Originally Posted by Schnit
You may be looking too much into the numbers. 93 rooms available because guests have not selected their rooms. You have a reservation but not assigned room, so you will take 1 of those 93 rooms. There could easily be 92 other reservations of people who have not yet checked in and selected a room
Hotel is pretty much empty. Breakfast was a self sign-in that had about 15 rooms signed in for breakfast and maybe 6 or 7 were noted as diamond. No upgrade given even with us asking for one (desk agent said all the rooms are the same - so why were they selling so many?)

Breakfast buffet was $12 and one of the worst I have ever seen for a full service hotel (very similar to Hampton / Home2 Suites but not as fresh looking)

(DT Suites Dayton / Miamisburg)
Old Oct 27, 2022, 8:59 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
I had booked a double guest room (cheapest room type available) at DoubleTree London Docklands Riverside earlier this month. When online checkin opened I was offered cash upgrades costing between 85 (to King Deluxe) and 190 (to King One Bedroom Suite). I did not check in online but later noticed the room type of my booking had changed to a King One Bedroom Suite, which turned out to be at a wrong end of the building away from the river. The only good thing about the suite was it had a bath tub in a tiny bathroom.

Old Oct 27, 2022, 4:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Have a 7-day stay at a resort coming. Booked on points at a good value for a 2-Q room. All room types are currently available for an identical booking up to, and including a presidential suite.

Just received the “here’s your custom upgrade” email from NOR1.

Preferred view: $24/night
Top floor: $40/night
Junior Suite: $103/night.

Since I’m on points, will buying an upgrade trigger the $50/night resort fee? I have two rooms booked on my reservation, so would the resort fee go up to $100/night?

Looks like I’ll take my chances with a complementary upgrade.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi

doubletree Edinburgh Airport ( scotland) for tonight
Using the app booked a king guest room. Checking in online there are no free upgrades but they are offering a king deluxe for 13 pn

the app says that they may give a complimentary upgrade on top of the paid upgrade at check in

As I'm only there for a short overnight stay and leaving at 0500 tomorrow. I just kept the room type booked and not paying the extra 13

Regards

Tbs

The budapest hilton on the other hand has upgraded me to an executive danube view

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Oct 28, 2022 at 4:28 pm
Old Oct 28, 2022, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've had an auto upgrade there, 3 days before, so probably they're just busy. Deluxe have Nespresso, robes etc.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 3:58 pm

Well, I wasn't reading this thread because I don't need more negativity in my life. But I'd just like to chime in and note that, three days before check-in, I got a very nice email from Hilton with a notification of an upgrade to a perfectly lovely junior suite for an upcoming stay. So I, for one, will not declare the sky to be falling.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 4:43 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Well, I wasn't reading this thread because I don't need more negativity in my life. But I'd just like to chime in and note that, three days before check-in, I got a very nice email from Hilton with a notification of an upgrade to a perfectly lovely junior suite for an upcoming stay. So I, for one, will not declare the sky to be falling.
I think the rollout of this is fairly recent or it may be brand or franchisee. About a month ago I was booked at the Conrad DC and got upgraded three days in advance.

My recent experience with DTs (three in the last two weeks) was no upgrades at any of them. First two no choice upgraded rooms at check-in. Third one had lots and many of them were $10 for a couple of them (no clue why) and a few at a higher cost. Decided not to do the online checkin and asked at check-in. Desk agent said nothing available. I think the first two were fairly full, not the last one.

Talking to the bartender was told the hotel was almost empty. Breakfast was pathetic (though it was covered by F&B allowance but we skipped it because it was so bad (grocery store cupcakes rather than danish?) For dinner offer on the second night the menu was "fried fish and chips" - apps and sides were all fried except the house salad.

Absolutely awful hotel (Doubletree Suites Dayton Miamisburg) and I will be writing a review. Night manager and bartender were very nice. Everything else was just wow.
Old Oct 29, 2022, 1:38 pm

Back in May I paid for an upgrade at the WA Orlando for a stay that was entirely points and it did not trigger the resort fee. For clarity, my paid upgrade was not NOR1 but rather made directly though the front desk. I doubt thatd make a difference (?), so if things are consistent you should be able to dodge the resort fee.

Originally Posted by aww3583
Have a 7-day stay at a resort coming. Booked on points at a good value for a 2-Q room. All room types are currently available for an identical booking up to, and including a presidential suite.

Just received the heres your custom upgrade email from NOR1.

Preferred view: $24/night
Top floor: $40/night
Junior Suite: $103/night.

Since Im on points, will buying an upgrade trigger the $50/night resort fee? I have two rooms booked on my reservation, so would the resort fee go up to $100/night?

Looks like Ill take my chances with a complementary upgrade.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Looks like I spoke way too soon. Received the above mentioned upgrade email two days ago and looked at my reservation to see junior suite at that time. Now, one day before the stay, the upgrade has been pulled back, my room type is that which was booked, and I am being offered upgrades for sale. To add another insult, just received an email telling me to OLCI and reminding me that I'd been upgraded.
Cymro likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hilton tokyo for an upcoming stay.

had booked premium king
Highest floor offered on the app is floor 19. No complimentary upgrade
offered upgrade to king executive for Y4500 pn (c gbp 30)
Also offered king executive suite for Y 27500pn
Might take the executive upgrade at y4500 and see if they upgrade further ( taking one for the team)
Regards
Tbs
Old Oct 31, 2022, 8:42 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by fwfdan
I think the rollout of this is fairly recent or it may be brand or franchisee. About a month ago I was booked at the Conrad DC and got upgraded three days in advance.

My recent experience with DTs (three in the last two weeks) was no upgrades at any of them. First two no choice upgraded rooms at check-in. Third one had lots and many of them were $10 for a couple of them (no clue why) and a few at a higher cost. Decided not to do the online checkin and asked at check-in. Desk agent said nothing available. I think the first two were fairly full, not the last one.

Talking to the bartender was told the hotel was almost empty. Breakfast was pathetic (though it was covered by F&B allowance but we skipped it because it was so bad (grocery store cupcakes rather than danish?) For dinner offer on the second night the menu was "fried fish and chips" - apps and sides were all fried except the house salad.

Absolutely awful hotel (Doubletree Suites Dayton Miamisburg) and I will be writing a review. Night manager and bartender were very nice. Everything else was just wow.
Not surprising, looking at the recent reviews.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...ship_Ohio.html
If you need to be back in the area and are looking for a Hilton, I would try the HGI at Austin Landing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.