Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2019] The Definitive Hilton Honors Status Match Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2019] The Definitive Hilton Honors Status Match Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:28 pm

How does rollover work with a status match?

I haven't found a definitive answer on this forum or in the rollover FAQ on the Hilton site for this specific situation, so asking here.

My situation: I did a status match into Hilton earlier in 2018 that got me Gold status through March 2020. During 2018, I've stayed 25 nights at Hilton properties. Now, I'm trying to figure out what might roll over into next year.

I'm guessing there are three possibilities:
  1. Since the system would rollover anything in excess of what I need for status, and I've already qualified for Gold next year via match, the system will decide all of my nights are unnecessary for status, and roll all 25 nights over to next year. (This would be nice, but wouldn't seem too likely.)
  2. Although I have Gold through March 2020, the system looks at my 25 nights, decides I've met 10 for Silver, then rolls over 15 into next year.
  3. Since I'm already Gold for next year, the system would only look at any nights above the number 40 as candidates for rollover. Since I'm only at 25, nothing would get rolled over.

My read of the Hilton FAQ makes #3 seem most likely, but wanted to know if anyone else had any real world experience or knowledge of whether status match makes anything different. As it stands now, I have a couple of more stays I could do this year, but if they're not going to rollover, I might as well push them off until 2019.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
My understanding is that only nights over 40 will rollover for Gold. Based on experience with Hilton IT, another result is possible.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Knowing Hilton IT, it'll probably be option 4 - Take your 25 nights, the 40 required for Gold, and you'll start the new year at -15 nights!

Given this is the first year of rollover I'm guessing nobody except maybe someone from Hilton will be able to give you a real answer. I would expect your option 3 would be most likely, but 2 or even 4 are at least possible...
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:56 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
I just completed the Diamond match. I am a lifetime platinum with Marriott.
All of my 8 stays were each one night long. A weekend in LA consisted of one-night stops in 3 different hotels. One stay did not count when my employer paid for the room on their CC even though my HH number was on the reservation. Luckily I still had enough. Well worth it to book the cheapest Hampton roadside for a night if you need an extra night. The point bonus alone for the next year would pay that off many times over. As you make each stay, make sure that the points for each stay were awarded. A "zero point" might not get counted. One of my advance purchase registrations also ended up as a "zero point" which I was able to fix using the online chat at hilton.com
And yes, the app will not show that you completed the match. I had to call to confirm that I was Diamond through 2020.

Looking forward to giving Hilton a try in 2019, but they do not reward people who book a meeting room as well as Marriott (gives bonus points and nights stayed for the meeting room as well as sleeping room)
Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum
I'm an ambassador member with Marriott, a Lifetime Platinum Premier and for a lot of reasons, once the merger happened it's been a nightmare. I don't like their customer service at all. I am looking to honestly(even though I earned the status with Marriott) move away from them. Would they fast track me to diamond? I know this is a Hilton forum but what are your guys thoughts of Hilton vs Marriott? Thx.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 4:28 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Oh well, I have completed my Diamond match challenge now, but only half of the stays are counted to the promo what I can see on my account page. And this is of course due to the IT update where I had to retrocredit half of my stays, which were eventually posted, but not tracking up to the Challenge. Oh sick.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 7:08 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Initiated diamond status match 29-Nov. Got the email telling me I needed 8 stays in 90 days, and that I was diamond until 27th of Feb.

However when I look at the offer on my account, I see the 3 stays I've done so far, but it is says "Offer valid through December 31" and also states I have 19 days left in my status match. It appears the website thinks my match period ends at the end of the year, which is contrary to what it should say, and contrary to the email I received.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: UA, OZ
Originally Posted by WickedStepMother
I just completed a status challenge. I had a mix of paid stays, points redemption stays and also points and money stays. They all counted towards the 8 night total.
Hi, to clarify: you mean status match (i.e. from Marriott) or other type of status challenge? So you get to keep the diamond for 1 year?
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Originally Posted by mikebor
I'm an ambassador member with Marriott, a Lifetime Platinum Premier and for a lot of reasons, once the merger happened it's been a nightmare. I don't like their customer service at all. I am looking to honestly(even though I earned the status with Marriott) move away from them. Would they fast track me to diamond? I know this is a Hilton forum but what are your guys thoughts of Hilton vs Marriott? Thx.
I would definitely take a trial run at a Hilton Diamond and see what you think. Just don't register for the status match until you are sure you can complete the 8 stays in 90 days. And make sure you get a confirmation of your registration before you start your qualifying stays. My thoughts so far is that I like the Hilton App and digital key that allows me to bypass the desk. Also the 4pm late checkout is nice. My key is often available many hours before the official check-in time. I ask for points over arrival gifts so no need to stop for that either. Have not been able to compare the lounges much yet but will do that more in 2019.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Originally Posted by ShenW
Hi, to clarify: you mean status match (i.e. from Marriott) or other type of status challenge? So you get to keep the diamond for 1 year?
I have IHG Platimum Elite Status. I provided proof of the status and evidence of recent stays with IHG and was then given Hilton Honors Diamond Staus for 90 days with the challenge of completing 8 stays within that time in order to retain Honors Diamond through to the end of March 2020. I used the link earlier in this thread to apply.

A combination of a match/challenge I suppose - worked well for me as I had already booked a number of one-night stays over the course of BA ‘Tier Point Run’ to Phoenix
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:57 am

I have just signed up for Diamond Challenge as I have a number of stays in February 2019 (Within 90 Days). May I know when will the Diamond Status last till upon completion? March 2020 or 2021?
Old Jan 1, 2019, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Having completed my challenge back in November (with the deadline of 30th November) I see that my Gold status has been recognized for 2019, offering me to renew Gold status for 16 more stays (or 35 nights). I expected to have to complete 20 more stays, or 40 nights. But this figure must take into account the 4 stays I already made which were required for my Gold status challenge. Now, I would have thought the requalification started at the beginning of January. Which is annoying, as I could have diverted a couple of stays in December to Hilton, which would have meant even less stays now! Oddly, I had a slight funny feel this might happen, but I really don't know the program all that well.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by Concerto
Having completed my challenge back in November (with the deadline of 30th November) I see that my Gold status has been recognized for 2019, offering me to renew Gold status for 16 more stays (or 35 nights). I expected to have to complete 20 more stays, or 40 nights. But this figure must take into account the 4 stays I already made which were required for my Gold status challenge. Now, I would have thought the requalification started at the beginning of January. Which is annoying, as I could have diverted a couple of stays in December to Hilton, which would have meant even less stays now! Oddly, I had a slight funny feel this might happen, but I really don't know the program all that well.
Only 2019 stays count - I'm guessing what you are seeing is just another one of the many IT glitches right now.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:39 am

Programs: HH Diamond, VA Platinum
Originally Posted by stargold
Only 2019 stays count - I'm guessing what you are seeing is just another one of the many IT glitches right now.
My account shows this "Based on Nights earned this year, your 2020 tier would be Diamond." Hopefully they will have it sorted soon.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by stargold
Oh I see, so I am probably looking at a ubiquitous IT glitch? I was thinking the whole status match thing was handled differently and I would have had to complete the 2019 stays by end of November, which is the month when my status challenge ended. That would have put it in line with Flying Blue of Air France KLM, which would have been convenient.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.