Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Update: Daily Food & Beverage Credit 2022 onwards in the U.S. and Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 14, 2021, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
The most commonly posed questions about the new food/beverage benefit, which is now extended into 2023, are
  • how it works for multi-night stays, and
  • to what extent it applies outside the US
Here's what we do & don't know:
  • The credit does not accumulate over the duration of your stay. For instance, if you stay for 2 nights at a $15/night property, you cannot use the benefit toward a single $30 purchase.
  • Thus, the credit for a given day may only be used on that day. It expires afterward.
    • Hilton's FAQ insists that "[t]he credit does not 'expire' until the member checks out." This is, to put it politely, complete nonsense.
  • The Hilton FAQ states that "the daily amount re-sets each day to the maximum daily credit value at midnight." Unfortunately, this addition to the FAQ--made in Spring 2022--raises as many questions as it answers.
    • The Hilton FAQ states explicitly that "for a one-night hotel stay, a Hilton Honors member would receive one complimentary Daily F&B Credit; the member may use the credit on the day of arrival or day of departure." This would be the sensible approach, but the alleged "midnight reset" policy cannot be reconciled with it.
    • A similar problem exists for any stay of N nights. Unless a guest arrives after midnight on the first night, or departs before midnight on the last night, there will be N+1 "days" (using midnight as the demarcator) but only N usable F&B credits. For example, a guest arrives Monday for a two-night stay. That means the credits may be used only on two of the three "days," those being Monday evening; Tuesday; and Wednesday morning (departure).
  • The benefit terms were revised in December 2022 to cover Motto properties outside the US; previously, the F&B credit applied only to US properties. However, the official T&C now refer more vaguely to “complimentary continental breakfast OR a Daily Food & Beverage Credit (varies by brand and region).” (link)
  • A reputable blogger reported in late December 2022 that the Hilton Fallsview in Canada is also issuing F&B credits in lieu of free breakfast, with Hilton corporate appearing to ratify this decision. (link) In November 2023, a FT member reported the same occurring at the Doubletree Calgary North (link).

*Select markets include the cities of Boston, Chicago, District of Columbia, New York City, San Francisco, Key Largo, Key West, the County of Los Angeles and the state of Hawaii.

(return to top)

Official Hilton benefit statement/FAQ (updated December 2022):

Frequently Asked Questions

1. What hotels offer the Hilton Honors complimentary Daily F&B Credit?

The Hilton Honors complimentary Daily F&B Credit is available to Gold and Diamond members at all of Hilton’s luxury, full-service and lifestyle properties as well as all Hilton Garden Inn hotels in the United States, and Motto by Hilton globally, replacing the MyWay complimentary continental breakfast benefit.

The brands include Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts, LXR Hotels & Resorts, Conrad Hotels & Resorts, Canopy by Hilton, Signia by Hilton, Hilton Hotels & Resorts, Curio Collection by Hilton, Tapestry Collection by Hilton, DoubleTree by Hilton, Motto by Hilton and Hilton Garden Inn.

2. Which members receive the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit?

The Hilton Honors complimentary Daily F&B Credit is provided to all Gold and Diamond members that select the F&B Credit as their MyWay benefit. The credit is provided to the Hilton Honors member and one additional guest registered to the same room for each night of their stay. The credit is per person (up to two people) in one guest room per stay.

Members can check their Hilton Honors status and make changes to their MyWay benefits by logging in to their account online at HiltonHonors.com or Hilton Honors mobile app.

3. What are the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit values for each Brand Category?

Hilton Honors Gold and Diamond members that select the complimentary Daily F&B Credit as their MyWay benefit will receive a $10 F&B Credit per night when staying at Hilton Garden Inn, a $15 F&B Credit per night at full-service and lifestyle properties, and a $25 F&B Credit per night at luxury properties.

A $18 F&B Credit per night will be provided at full-service and lifestyle properties located in the cities of Boston, Chicago, District of Columbia, Key West, Key Largo, New York City, San Francisco, the County of Los Angeles and the state of Hawaii.

A $12 F&B Credit per night will be provided at Motto By Hilton Tulum and a 10€ F&B Credit per night will be provided at Motto by Hilton Rotterdam Blaak.

The full list of participating brands include Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts , LXR Hotels & Resorts, Conrad Hotels & Resorts, Signia by Hilton, Hilton Hotels & Resorts, Curio Collection by Hilton, DoubleTree by Hilton, Tapestry Collection by Hilton, Canopy by Hilton, Motto by Hilton, and Hilton Garden Inn.

4. Does the Daily F&B Credit impact Hilton brands that offer all guests complimentary breakfast?

Guests staying at Hilton’s brands that offer complimentary breakfast to all guests will continue to receive this offering. The Hilton Honors complimentary Daily F&B Credit does not apply to the following brands: Embassy Suites by Hilton, Hampton by Hilton, Tru by Hilton, Homewood Suites by Hilton and Home2 Suites by Hilton.

5. How does the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit work?

Prior to arrival, members will be notified by email or notification through the Hilton Honors app of the complimentary Daily F&B Credit. Members can then log in to their Hilton Honors account online or through the Hilton Honors app to select their preferred MyWay benefit for their next stay – the Hilton Honors complimentary Daily F&B Credit or Hilton Honors Bonus Points.

Upon hotel check-in, the member’s status will be confirmed, and they will be informed by the front desk staff and/or the Hilton Honors app about the Daily F&B Credit including which on-property outlets are participating. Each day of their stay, the Hilton Honors member will charge their eligible F&B purchases to their room, and the credit will be automatically applied to their total bill for those F&B purchases charged to their room.

6. Will the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit accrue across days?

The Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit is provided to the member (and up to one additional guest registered to the same room) for each night of their stay and does not accrue or rollover from one day to the next if unused.

The daily credit amount may be used in full on the day of check-in or check-out, or on various eligible items throughout these days until the maximum daily amount is reached.

7. How does the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit work for a 1-night stay? Would a member receive two credits (for check-in and check-out day) or one credit?

Hilton Honors Gold and Diamond members receive one complimentary Daily F&B Credit for the member and one for the additional guest registered to the same room each night of their stay, consistent with the previous complimentary Continental Breakfast benefit. For a one-night hotel stay, a Hilton Honors member would receive one complimentary Daily F&B Credit; the member may use the credit on the day of arrival or day of departure. The credit may be used in full/entirety on day of check-in or check-out, or on various eligible items each day until the maximum daily amount or total stay maximum is reached.

8. Which F&B outlets can the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit be utilized?

The Hilton Honors complimentary Daily F&B Credit can be utilized at all participating F&B outlets on-property, including the market/grab-and-go and in-room dining/room service, where applicable, plus participating third-party outlets. The Daily F&B Credit cannot be utilized for any non-F&B related spend, such as the room rate, spa or gift shops.

9. Can members use the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit on alcoholic beverages?

The Daily F&B Credit may be used to purchase alcoholic beverages, subject to state and local laws.

10. Do members receive the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit on day-rate reservations, such as WorkSpaces by Hilton?

Like the previous elite continental breakfast benefit, the Hilton Honors Daily F&B credit will not apply to day-rate reservations.

11. Will members receive the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit on rates/packages that include F&B, such as the Breakfast Included rate?

Yes, Diamond or Gold members that select the complimentary Daily F&B Credit as their MyWay benefit will receive the Hilton Honors Daily F&B credit on Points eligible rates including specific food & beverage rates or packages.

12. Do members who book with a group such as a meeting or conference receive the Daily F&B Credit?

The Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit benefit is provided to Diamond and Gold members, based on their MyWay selection, on Points eligible rates and reward nights.

13. Can the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit apply to taxes and gratuity?

The Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit can be applied to taxes and gratuity.

14. How do members add/register a guest to the reservation?

When booking the reservation through preferred Hilton channels, such as online at Hilton.com or the Hilton Honors app, members should ensure they indicate the total number of people staying in the room to receive up to two Hilton Honors complimentary Daily F&B Credit allowances.

15. Does the Hilton Honors member receive an additional Daily F&B Credit for double occupancy?

The complimentary Daily F&B Credit is intended to cover up to two guests, which includes the Hilton Honors member and one additional guest registered to the same room (on one room per stay), per night.

16. Can the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit be utilized across multiple outlets within a day?

The Hilton Honors complimentary Daily F&B Credit can be utilized across multiple outlets within one day. It will be automatically applied against all eligible F&B charges made within that timeframe, up to the total daily credit amount.

17. If members do not have F&B charges, can they apply the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit to the total folio?

The Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit was created to provide guests with more dining-related flexibility, so the credit can only be applied to eligible F&B charges billed to the member’s room.

18. Some members may utilize the hotel restaurants or bar areas for meetings, dinners, etc. without staying at the hotel. Does the Hilton Honors member have to be staying at the hotel to receive the F&B credit?

Hilton Honors members, even if utilizing hotel facilities such as a restaurant or bar area, must be a registered guest of the hotel to receive the complimentary Daily F&B Credit.

19. Do members receive the Hilton Honors complimentary Daily F&B Credit on redemption/reward stays?

Yes, Hilton Honors Gold and Diamond members that select the complimentary Daily F&B Credit as their MyWay benefit will receive the Daily F&B Credit on hotel reward stays, both reservations booked with all Points or Points & Money.

20. Do members receive the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit at all-inclusive properties?

Like the previous elite Continental Breakfast benefit, the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit is not offered at all-inclusive properties.

21. If a member selects Points over the Daily F&B Credit on a reservation with a registered guest, do they receive double Points?

The Hilton Honors Bonus Points selection via MyWay Benefits is a one-time bonus per stay, regardless of the number of guests.

22. Can a guest make a change to their MyWay benefit mid-stay to receive the Daily F&B Credit?

No, Hilton Honors members should make their MyWay benefit selections prior to check-in or during arrival in order to receive the complimentary Daily F&B Credit.

23. When does the credit expire each day?

The credit does not “expire” until the member checks out. However, the daily amount re-sets each day to the maximum daily credit value at midnight. Members can use up to the total daily maximum and are responsible for anything beyond that amount.

Since the member gets a new credit each day (for the number of nights of their stay), the only day they can use any leftover credit is the morning of check-out. (return to top)

24. How will the complimentary Daily F&B Credit appear on my hotel bill/folio?

The total eligible Daily F&B Credit amount used and billed to the room during a member’s stay will be automatically applied and appear as one line item per day on a member’s hotel bill/folio, deducted from the total stay cost at the end of their stay.

25. How will the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit be handled at hotels with Executive Lounges?

At hotels that have an Executive Lounge that offers complimentary breakfast, Diamond members and Gold members upgraded to Executive Lounge access will not receive the Daily F&B Credit. These hotels will provide the Daily F&B Credit to Gold members not upgraded to Executive Lounge access.
(return to top)
Print Wikipost

Update: Daily Food & Beverage Credit 2022 onwards in the U.S. and Canada

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2021, 12:22 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by hugolover
It’s hardly been in place for just a few weeks. They will know exactly how many complaints they’ve had, feedback from properties and what not.

I find US customers very obliging and mouthing very much empty threats to boycott like those here on FT. There isn’t that much choice for many people in the land of big business.

I’m sure Marriott and Hyatt are watching closely. In the end, they all follow each other.
I know lots of people think their individual complaints drive company decision-making, but data analysis as to the impact of a policy on revenue--which is what you suggested has been done- isn't based on whether people complain but on financial data. The policy took effect in July. There is no statistically valid analysis of the impact of that policy on revenue that could have been performed and taken into consideration in the past five months-- even *without* the confounding variables associated I think most people in the land of "big business" understand that isn't how data analysis works.

I'm also not sure what you are referring to as "the land of big business" but, again, business travel has been down the past five months and is expected to take much longer to rebound than leisure. Few companies have a Hilton-only policy, and if they did, they likely wouldn't have yet revisited that policy to see if they are seeking increased costs since July.

You may say that Hilton has decided they don't *care* about potential losses of business, but it is mathematically impossible for Hilton to have ade any useful calculation about how much the policy has cost them in the past 30 weeks.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Super Mario
The FAQs state it is for each day. However, can be used the day of check-in or check-out if need-be. Aka, if you must have all things breakfast, there is nothing different. I honestly don't see any confusion in the policy. The variable just seems to be if the staff understand and/or the automation we are hearing about.
I'm a generally good reader, and the language suggests on a Tuesday to Thursday stay for example, you would get a credit on Tuesday good til 11:59pm and a credit on Wednesday that is good til checkout time Thursday.

You would thus only be able to have breakfast Wednesday *or* Thursday since "the only day [a member] can use any leftover credit is the morning of check-out.". This is in tension with other parts of the FAQ.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by RAPC
I'm pleased to not be a regular customer in the US based on this. I do have a few stays planned for next year at various US Hiltons, with most of them being an easy switch to either Hampton Inns, or other groups. I've checked in with a couple of the properties after seeing this announcement just now and even the increased amounts cover circa 50% of the breakfast cost, before tax and service. Easy decision to plan to stay elsewhere, as breakfast is a key benefit for me. Understand it isn't for everyone though and each to their own etc.
Totally agree. Be hotel suicide if they tried to part the Brits from their Full English
Daze, simonsmith, RAPC and 4 others like this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 12:54 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by twitch76
I appreciate your opinion on this, but I disagree. I can't speak for RAPC, but I will speak for myself.

Hampton Inn breakfasts, while not amazing, are relatively predictable and of reasonable variety and quality. They do not require one to get in their car to go somewhere. You can always find a protein, a fruit, and a carb... and most importantly, free coffee. My habit is to throw on some clothes (no... I don't wander down in my PJs) and a hat and go get breakfast before I do anything else. Many business travelers are generally expected to stay in breakfast-included hotels. I would stay in HGIs when the cost was relatively comparable to an HI, but that is really no longer an option for me unless dictated by location.
If I just want something to eat, Hampton is fine. If I want something tasty that isn't carb/sugar filled, I would go to a real restaurant, even if it cost me a couple of bucks over my credit. YMMV.
andrewstahl likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 1:02 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Adam1222
I'm a generally good reader, and the language suggests on a Tuesday to Thursday stay for example, you would get a credit on Tuesday good til 11:59pm and a credit on Wednesday that is good til checkout time Thursday.

You would thus only be able to have breakfast Wednesday *or* Thursday since "the only day [a member] can use any leftover credit is the morning of check-out.". This is in tension with other parts of the FAQ.
On my recent two night stay I got three $24 credits. I don't think that is how it is supposed to work though.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
I’m glad I just hit Hyatt Globalist (but I still think Hyatt has the worst tier names).
Mikey likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 1:30 pm

BigFishDave likes this.

Last edited by beltway; Apr 5, 2024 at 2:25 pm
Old Dec 14, 2021, 1:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by beltway
Define "day."
Ask 5 different hotels and you'll get 5 different answers.

Ask 5 front desk agents at the Conrad Las Vegas and you'll get 10 different answers.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 2:11 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
I think HGI's will bare the brunt of this policy. Whenever I had a choice with similar rates and location, I would always chose HGI over HI for the cooked to order breakfast. Since the implementation of this policy I have yet to stay in any HGI, opting for HI or even Tru. Sad news because I did always enjoy the HGI breakfast, and I am pretty certain that $10 will not cover the cost of it at many of the HGI's, from my experience it is usually $15 and up depending on location.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
On my recent two night stay I got three $24 credits. I don't think that is how it is supposed to work though.
More than makes up for my stay last week at the HGI Hollywood where I was charged an extra $18 instead of credited. This continues to be an absolute mess.
ChevyCruze likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by CMK10
Hardly a surprise. I've been in the frequent travel game for 19 years now and I can remember countless benefits being taken away but very few, if any, returned after a downgrade.

Going into 2022 I'll be putting Marriott, Hyatt and IHG ahead of any Hilton loyalty. Between this, lack of upgrades and no late checkouts who can blame me?
So IHG doesn’t give any elite benefits at all on an award stay- no upgrades, etc. I had an upgrade and made good use of my F/B credit at an LXR (solo stay but room was 2 people, so $50- of course it was Santa Monica so overpriced… but good quality at least).

I would blame someone who cuts their nose to spite their face, so I don’t prioritize IHG, Marriott is good and Bonvoyed by now, and Hyatt has too limited a footprint for me (Globalist is the only meaningful status there, and it would be LOL comedy to do 60 nights, or even 30 with lots of credit card spend), but if it works for you, good for you. My inclination is to keep the Hilton Aspire as long as it makes sense (still does even with these changes), and keep booking opportunistically wherever: Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, Hotels.com, Capital One booking engine… my loyalty still will always be to my wallet.

To put this another way: Hyatt’s low/standard/high award prices impacts my wallet more than this change… I’m not boycotting Hyatt though.
funnyfarm299 and hhdl like this.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Dec 14, 2021 at 2:54 pm
Old Dec 14, 2021, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
The problem is, increasing the amounts won't matter when the hotels raise the cost of breakfast/coffee, etc., to match. We'll still end up paying out of pocket unless an Honors breakfast is provided to include coffee and tax. Meanwhile, HGIs charge over $10 for breakfast, and I'm batting over .500 at screwed up receipts when places don't know how to apply the credit properly (or just do it however they want).

This F&B credit is a GIGANTIC slap in the face to those of us who earned status by nights in beds (and continued to EARN status the past 2 years).
Markie, Mikey, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 2:39 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
These elite status benefits are being paid for by the loyalty program members since the benefits are generally conditioned upon paying for the room via Hilton’s own preferred distribution channels; if using third party online travel agencies to stay at Hilton properties, the OTA takes a slice of the room rate revenue picture and then guest entitlement to status benefits is gone.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Boo. Bad move Hilton. Way to PO your most loyal customers. And please, if you are going to offer this benefit, then freaking make sure it works as intended. One every single stay that has included this "benefit", I've had to manually check the folio and check out and in every single case the credit was 'accidentally' forgotten. Call me cynical but I'm pretty sure there's a memo somewhere that instructs hotels to 'forget' to action the credits and just hope that customers don't notice they just got shafted. Going into next year I'm for sure looking around for other hotel chains that have a bit more respect for their supposed top-tier customers.
Mikey, smmrfld and dmarge18 like this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 2:46 pm

I don't think this will be going away past 2022, nor do I think one will be able to cover a reasonable breakfast at most hotels with this. I certainly don't think HGIs are cutting their prices (either that, or the breakfast covered by the credit will no longer include cooked-to-order items, as some found this year). Definitely makes me more of a free agent for hotels.
Mikey likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.