Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Chrysalis Inn & Spa, Curio ,Bellingham, Washington - Review

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chrysalis Inn & Spa, Curio ,Bellingham, Washington - Review

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2021, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Chrysalis Inn & Spa, Curio, Bellingham (US - WA)

I'm just leaving after three days here. The capsule summary: great staff, fine facilities, wonderful location in a small-ish, "cute" town, Fairhaven. The hotel is almost on the water, including a boardwalk, about a half mile from the town and the affiliated gym. No gym on site, but free passes available. I heard good things about the restaurant and bar, both currently open, but I didn't experience either. Registered guest didn't have Hilton status, but we still received a water-view room on top floor with a fireplace. (Perhaps all rooms have.) Daily newspaper at the door. Westin-like bed, I would say. Large spa on-site; again, I heard good things, but didn't experience myself.

There Is a train track that passes by the hotel; several trains pass during the night . The hotel provides earplugs and I'm told the trans are advised not to sound their "horns" nearby (whatever that means). They are certainly audible, if far short of really disturbing.
Sorry, my attempt to edit/standardize thread title failed, e.g. US-WA.
SanDiego1K likes this.

Last edited by 365RoadWarrior; Oct 11, 2021 at 12:35 pm Reason: Correct subject format
Old Oct 12, 2021, 9:54 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Did your room face the train tracks, or were you on the other side (I think train track view is also water view?). There is a huge difference between the rumble by and the blasting horns that I believe the conductors totally relish in disturbing as many sleepers as they can. I'd be interested to know if there truly were no horns. Believe me, you'd know.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

My room overlooked the broad bay/C or L-shaped coastline. The train comes up the coast and around the Bay from the South, winding north in basically the shadow of the hotel. What I understood was they weren't supposed to sound the horn at crossings that had received safety upgrades, which apparently included most or all of Fairhaven. The sound does carry well across the water. If you're sensitive, this probably isn't the place for you. The hotel has earplugs in every room for a reason.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 8:33 pm

Thanks for that. Such a shame because it looks very nice.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 11:59 pm

Programs: Costco Club
Bellingham is a wonderful town!
365RoadWarrior likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 3:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
I also had a recent stay. Unfortunately, the train noise at night was bad enough to make a future visit unlikely. It's a nice property, but being awakened several times over the course of the night took a lot away from the experience, and earplugs aren't much help with the low-frequency rumbling.
365RoadWarrior likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Another stay, four nights. Again pleasant. The trains seemed quieter, but I'm older and probably losing my hearing. Minor correction, hotel is in Fairhaven, 2 miles from Bellingham. Fairhaven is, perhaps "quainter", but with lots of shops, restaurants and a grocery store.

Hotel service remains good, and the gym set up (down the street, limited hours) is the same. Restaurant is open 3 meals and, I'm told, Diamond credit is $15, which would get you a breakfast entre, plus or minus a few bucks. You're on your own for coffee (free in the lobby), juice, tip. (I know this is probably standard, but I don't come to the U.S. very often and very, very seldom stay in Hilton properties when I do.)

I would stay again, gripe about the gym arrangement, again, but the rest is okay.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 8:45 am

Do the trains blow whistles or just rumble by? Here in Eugene they think it's a big joke to blast the whistles as loud as possible - one guy plays "turkey in the straw". Glad we live far up on a hill and only hear it faintly. If you're stupid enough to go around the barriers then well, you're stupid enough to suffer the consequences.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

I think the initiative to reduce or eliminate the train horn sounding is still in place. I rode Amtrak to/from BEL and, my impression was the the trains made less noise in town; the intercections of roads and tracks are, I think, all signaled with crossing gates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.