Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Points Missing or Fraudulent Activity in Hilton Honors Account

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Points Missing or Fraudulent Activity in Hilton Honors Account

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Gold, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Sounds like fraud complaints are being handled by the same team that does Price Match Guarantee.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 4:58 pm

Programs: marriott, hilton, united, southwest, IHG, national, hertz, AA, Delta, others
Hilton Givith, and then they taketh away-ith

So in the ongoing saga - I mentioned that hilton had restored my account, well, not so fast. Today my account is back down to 0 points, and I got a letter from Hilton basically saying "there can be only one primary name on a merged account" and my points are gone again.
The email also went on to say "Please know that we received feedback and the Agreement form signed by both you and Mr. XXXXXXX, November 10, 2018 to consolidate your personal Honors account".
So I asked for a copy of this agreement, and guess what, no document yet.

I'm trying hard to work with the folks over there, and they are all personally nice, but something about the way they keep records seems to be, less than effective.

Does it normally take over 3 months to rectify an error?
Old Sep 5, 2019, 1:06 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
Are they refering to merging your original account incorrecttly with someone else and that's the signed letter they mention ?

Or is it about new account and some new missunderstanding?
Old Sep 5, 2019, 5:31 pm

Programs: marriott, hilton, united, southwest, IHG, national, hertz, AA, Delta, others
They incorrectly merged my account with someone else's account, I person I don't know, back in May.
They fixed this error on August 28th.
They re-merged that accounts again on September 3rd, I think. I checked my account on the fourth and it was at zero again, and a letter from hilton saying I (we) could only have one merged account.

I don't want any merged account. I don't know this other person.

I believe the signed agreement is why they keep doing this, but they have not yet sent me a copy to see who signed it.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 10:42 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Sounds like the other party may want to roguely take advantage of your Diamond benefits and points?
Old Sep 6, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: Peasant at large
Given the really poor handling (that we can see) and repeated failures, this looks like it could use some broader public attention. Start with both facebook and twitter. If they still give you the same routine, go beyond.

Many local news stations have teams that look into "interesting people complaints" so check out the stations in your area. Given it is a "cyber security" related area, I don't think they care or understand the details but will jump because it can be made scary sounding which draws viewers. Industry security experts like [MENTION=22479]BrianK[/MENTION]rebs, [MENTION=546036]mikko[/MENTION] or the hacker new might get curious and dig. Any one of those tweeting about this will get tens of thousands of views.

As painful as it might be for you in this one case, I can't imagine what will happen when they are told of a major breach of their systems. I say learn because from your descriptions, it looks like their security practices are from the 90s and they're quite happy with it so I have no faith they'll detect it themselves. Save other members significant grief down the line; put Hilton in the spotlight now.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 1:54 pm

thanks for the advise crunchie. Fun fact today, I received a survey from hilton asking how well Tony handled my issue today. Funny thing, Tony never called me, nor I hilton.
Also, @HonorsRepresentative has gone quiet on me. William asked how many points this is about, and I told him over 300K (308,974 + my recent 3 stays)
BTW, if you google how much a hilton point is worth, its $.005. so 300K point is about $1,500.
So gee Hilton, can you help me out as I've been defrauded of $1500 by your company?
Old Sep 11, 2019, 2:18 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Joeman
thanks for the advise crunchie. Fun fact today, I received a survey from hilton asking how well Tony handled my issue today. Funny thing, Tony never called me, nor I hilton.
Also, @HonorsRepresentative has gone quiet on me. William asked how many points this is about, and I told him over 300K (308,974 + my recent 3 stays)
BTW, if you google how much a hilton point is worth, its $.005. so 300K point is about $1,500.
So gee Hilton, can you help me out as I've been defrauded of $1500 by your company?
It sounds to me like you were defrauded, but not by Hilton. Somebody else sent them some kind of forged authorization to merge your account with that person's, in order to obtain your 300,000+ points. It's this third party you need to go after, although Hilton should be of more help in doing it.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 9:44 pm
Formally known as Infosec

I would keep hammering away at social media. If still no go, then Small Claims.

Might suck to hypothetically get black listed by Hilton over it, but I wouldn't pay $1500 to remain a hilton customer.

Also, with 380k points I can stay 5 nights at Conrad Tokyo with 5th night free. There my Diamond status (and on-property relationships) gets me a bay view suite which goes for $5,514 for 5 nights during peak season. That gets me about $0.0145/point or $4,353 valuation of 300k points. I would use this same calculation in small claims, and provide documentation of past reservations I've made where I received nights during peak season for those points to make my case for $4,353 in damages.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by alwaysflyingLA
My account was hacked last week. Got an email saying someone had changed my email address on file. As I logged in (with the same password) after about 10 mins receiving the notification, I found that there was an extra letter in the Gmail domain - something like @gmaiil.com. I immediately noticed that there was a mere 10,000 points missing. I looked up my points activity, however there were no signs of any new transactions.

I called Diamond desk and found out someone had cashed out the points and converted them into a certificate at a Hampton Inn location. There was no reservation number attached to the certificate. (I suspect someone discovered a major IT glitch at Hilton?) Diamond desk immediately refunded the points and opened two investigations: one with Guest Services in regards to the certificate and one with their fraud department.
It just happened to me again! 10,000 points disappeared from my account - a second time. I reported to HH and was told that points were again redeemed for a stay at Hampton Inn somewhere. This time at Hampton by Hilton Foshan Sanshui. This is unbelievable. My account seems to be secure. No changes in contact information. However, there was also no confirmation emails about the redemption.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
It just happened to me again! 10,000 points disappeared from my account - a second time. I reported to HH and was told that points were again redeemed for a stay at Hampton Inn somewhere. This time at Hampton by Hilton Foshan Sanshui. This is unbelievable. My account seems to be secure. No changes in contact information. However, there was also no confirmation emails about the redemption.
Was it the same hotel as last time? I'm curious if someone is pulling up the wrong account.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Was it the same hotel as last time? I'm curious if someone is pulling up the wrong account.
It was at a Hampton Inn in China (which those were managed differently.) It happened at another Hampton Inn for me last time, but I don't remember where.

The reservation was made under someone else's name. China has a very strict rule in checking ID at check-in - so I don't think this is an honest mistake by pulling the wrong account.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
It was at a Hampton Inn in China (which those were managed differently.) It happened at another Hampton Inn for me last time, but I don't remember where.

The reservation was made under someone else's name. China has a very strict rule in checking ID at check-in - so I don't think this is an honest mistake by pulling the wrong account.
China requires registration with police by hotel. They have a system the hotel uses.

I've had agent pull up the wrong account before. Ie both of us had same first and last name. The first time I made Diamond 15 years ago, was because a hotel pulled up my account when the other flyerco stayed. I got all of his stay credit (60 nights at the hotel!).
Old Oct 30, 2019, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
China requires registration with police by hotel. They have a system the hotel uses.

I've had agent pull up the wrong account before. Ie both of us had same first and last name. The first time I made Diamond 15 years ago, was because a hotel pulled up my account when the other flyerco stayed. I got all of his stay credit (60 nights at the hotel!).
It was booked under a completely different name. Also the stay never showed up in my stay history or points activity.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

It was booked under a completely different name. Also the stay never showed up in my stay history or points activity.
Dang, was trying to be hopeful there was one less scuzzy person in the world. Different name is definitely fraud.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.