Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Points Missing or Fraudulent Activity in Hilton Honors Account

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Points Missing or Fraudulent Activity in Hilton Honors Account

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2014, 3:07 am

Programs: AA Life-Plat 5MM, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, UA, BA
I take snaps of acct balance and activities every few months. Also for IHG and airlines.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 6:22 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by smmrfld
OP's characterization of this as "fraudulent" is way over the top without clear indication that someone was trying to scam you. As noted above, it's likely a simple mistake. The dramatic language doesn't do much to solve the issue.
+1

The tip off is it wasn't the OP's credit card that was used.

On the other hand, I have one of those Hilton credit cards which I only use when I'm staying at Hiltons and on the Hilton website and it was used to buy some airplane tickets in Europe.

It took a bit of work, but I was able to get the charge reversed.

Any bets as to whether a Hilton clerk was involved in that one?

<lol>
Bob H
Old Apr 17, 2014, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by BobSakamano

I was shocked to see how easy it was for someone at the HHonors Diamond desk to place a fraudulent reservation on my account.
While I don't think this is what happened here, do you really think that this is different with any business? I am pretty sure any airline agent could make a fraudulent airline booking under nearly anyone's account, particularly one that just called in.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 2:48 pm

Account Hacked, response from Hilton very poor!

My Diamond account had its address replaced and only noticed when booking another hotel stay.

is this standard response acceptable:

Dear XXXXXX,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding your Hilton Honors account. Unfortunately we are unable to specifically identify how your account information was compromised. Hilton takes information security very seriously and we are committed to safeguarding our Honors members' personal information.

We recommend the following steps to proactively protect your Hilton Honors account:

•Periodically change your password to your personal email account and Hilton Honors account.
•Do not use a password that is the same or similar to any passwords you use for other accounts. Passwords should be unique to each account.
•Periodically check your Hilton Honors account activity.
•Contact Hilton Honors Customer Support at . If you receive a notification that something was changed on your account that you did not initiate.
•Run a virus check to make sure there is no malware or key loggers on your computer.

We apologize for any inconvenience that you have experienced regarding this issue.

Should you need further assistance relative to this matter, please email us at

Sincerely,

Fraud Analyst HHFP - Diagnosis and Response Team (DART
Old Jun 27, 2018, 3:13 pm

This happened to me. I picked up the phone, called them, they reset my password, corrected my address, and everything was back to normal in maybe 10 minutes. Agent was very nice. All was good in the Hilton world.

What else did you expect them to do? Do you have all of your points and a new password?
Old Jun 27, 2018, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
I'm also not sure what else you expect Hilton to do assuming that they have corrected your address and returned any missing points. Since you reported that your IHG account was hacked a year ago, are you sure that the hacking/improper access hasn't come from your end?
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28912133-post146.html
Have you checked your other points/miles accounts?
Diplomatico and birdiedouble like this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by Bigmaggot
is this standard response acceptable
Yes, IMO.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA-1K >1MM ,QF Platinum,HH-Diamond,Marriott-Titanium
Hilton Account Hacked

I am a Hilton Diamond with 2 million points in my account.
Had been away ---just checked my account and found that my Hilton account was linked with amazon.....and had almost no points,
Have contacted Hilton Customer service and assured the the points will be reinstated and will receive a new account number.
Have been using what I thought was a secure computer for reservations.

Anyone else been hacked....and the outcome?
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
I wasn't aware that you could link to Amazon and use you points to buy stuff there. What a great incentive for hackers!!!!
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Bonehead
I wasn't aware that you could link to Amazon and use you points to buy stuff there. What a great incentive for hackers!!!!
I agree, in fact I would bet that if they limited HHonors points to just redeeming stays the hacked account activity would be very small to what it is now. All non-stay monetization of points is a massive incentive to hackers.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 1:02 pm

Hilton Honor Points vanished

I've been a Hilton Honor's member for over 20 years. I had a balance of 665,000 points. On Dec 26th, I noted that my points dropped to 3,000 (my account is active so I did not lose the points due to non activity). I've called HHonors and they do not know what happened to them. A fraud case was opened but with no further follow up on their end, it was closed. Nobody can tell me anything and at this time there is really nothing I can do about it. Does anyone have any suggestion?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:41 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
I'm not sure what you mean by no follow up.

Originally Posted by Melissa Wilcut Carbon
I've been a Hilton Honor's member for over 20 years. I had a balance of 665,000 points. On Dec 26th, I noted that my points dropped to 3,000 (my account is active so I did not lose the points due to non activity). I've called HHonors and they do not know what happened to them. A fraud case was opened but with no further follow up on their end, it was closed. Nobody can tell me anything and at this time there is really nothing I can do about it. Does anyone have any suggestion?
Did you contact them to see why there was no follow up?
Are they actually saying they think YOU committed some fraudulent activity?

If no one there will answer your questions you might want to contact Honors Representative here on FT.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Ex-UA Gold, Ex-AA Gold , Ex-SPG Gold, Peon everywhere else
Originally Posted by Melissa Wilcut Carbon
I had something similar to me happened about three years ago. i had around 300k points and then I notice that my balance had dropped down to less than 20k. I didn't notice any transactions. So I contacted CS and they opened a case. A day or two later my account was showing that I had redeemed 280k points for a merchandise related product. Somehow my account was hacked and someone managed to redeemed my points for gift cards. Because of the suspicious activity, HHonors restored my points while they investigated the case. Ultimately the HHonors determined that it was an act of fraud. I was advise by HHonors to create a PIN and keyword prompt for redemtions other than room bookings.
WickedStepMother likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just had my account hacked this morning exactly the same as the original poster with all points going to something from Amazon. I was made suspicious when I received an email with a "requested" copy of a recent folio which I had NOT requested. Couldn't log into my account nor could I reset my password. Called and found someone had hacked me, changed my email address to a [MENTION=63256]yahoo[/MENTION] and taken my points. HHonors closed my current account for good and will issue a new number once their investigation is complete in up to 10 days. Hope to see my points again.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: a little here, a little there
While hackers won't care about a conversion rate, if anyone else is interested in the Amazon redemption:

What is the conversion rate of using my Hilton Honors Points at Amazon.com?

500 Hilton Honors Points equal one dollar on Amazon.com.
Brendan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.