Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Points Missing or Fraudulent Activity in Hilton Honors Account

Points Missing or Fraudulent Activity in Hilton Honors Account

Old Nov 28, 2022, 3:29 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
TOMORROW, click on his name and one of the options will be to send a PM.

He's disabled PM's until he returns.
Old Nov 28, 2022, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by bsieff
Thank you so much for your propt reply. I would be glad to do so, however, I do not see the option to private message Hilton Honors Ambassador like I do on other accounts. Would you be able to advise how to go about that please?

Thanks again.
Brooke
Try messaging in the morning. I think his out of the office mode is on today.

If it were me, Id call Hilton directly before all your points are used up. The scammers often book same day hotels. By tomorrow, it might be much more difficult to cancel the stay or catch (ha!) these scoundrels.
Old Nov 28, 2022, 3:30 pm

Understood, thank you.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 1:34 pm

After my email was hacked, my Hilton account was hacked (along with a half dozen others). They made a reservation in Miami but the hotel said no one ever checked in. Hilton fraud team gave me a new account number and assured me my missing 354,000 points will be refunded.I added 2FA to my account so hopefully that will help.

It's been a week and nothing has been returned. What is a typical time frame in case like this?

ETA: points are back, took 13 days and several phone calls. Have to say the Diamond Desk has the BEST people in the business !!!

Last edited by Schutzee; Dec 22, 2022 at 1:34 pm
Old Feb 11, 2023, 7:56 am

I woke up today to find both a 100k redemption email and a “here’s your verification code” email - so someone was able to get into my account even though I use 2FA. The reservation showed up in my account under my name only, but with another email address - the HHonors rep I spoke with didn’t seem terribly alarmed or surprised about 2FA being bypassed. I had the password changed within 10 min of the email, being sent, but that was too late and I’m stuck until the fraud department gets to the case.

Edited to add: 48 hrs later - I haven't heard from any investigators, but it appears they have looked into this.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by joanek; Feb 13, 2023 at 11:19 am
Old Jun 14, 2023, 12:03 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Experience with fraudulent reservations?

Hey all,

Hope the title isn't too click-baity but wondering if folks have had experience with this before...

Last week I got a confirmation email from Hilton for a reservation made at the Hampton Inn Norfolk/Chesapeake (Greenbrier Area), for one night (check-in that same day, check-out the next day). Time the reservation made was about 7:35pm local time (i.e., after the cancellation deadline). The reservation was made under my account for the BAR and with my saved credit card.

I immediately called the hotel and explained I didn't make the reservation and that likely my Hilton account had been compromised. Obviously I changed my password immediately. The front desk at the property was quite helpful and canceled the reservation and also mentioned that "they are trying to complete mobile check-in right now, but haven't finished... this has been happening more recently with our property and the property down the street (OP note: not sure which property she was referring to)."

I joked that we should let the "hacker" check-in and then we could go catch them but obviously I don't think anyone wants to go through the effort. So a few questions / observations for discussion for the group:

1) Anyone have an opinion on if we had "let" the "hacker" check-in and then try to "catch" them later - what would've happened?
2) It seems like through a search, Hilton seems to have pretty weak account security (e.g., from a consumer point of view, no 2FA) and folks have experienced many a cyber security incident before in the past
3) Is this just a common occurrence? Anyone want to speculate on what the "hacker" was trying to achieve? A nice one-night stay at a random Hampton Inn with their family for free? Seems like a lot of work and a big potential to get caught.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 12:36 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Can't answer 1 & 2, but have some experience with 3.

I was checking in at an HGI in the downtown area of a large metropolitan area. I'm used to showing my DL at check-in, but in this instance, the FDA took my DL and typed the digits into her computer. I asked what was going on.

She said that this hotel gets "more than a few" fraudulent bookings and check-in attempts each week. One of the easiest steps they take is to visually confirm the photo ID matches the person checking in, and the recording of the DL# is their proof that they checked ID in case management audit their process or there's a legal issue.

I would agree with your assertion that Hilton's website security is pretty lax. The iOS app can be set to require FaceID every time you access the app which I'd recommend.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 1:56 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by bj27
Hey all,

Hope the title isn't too click-baity but wondering if folks have had experience with this before...

Last week I got a confirmation email from Hilton for a reservation made at the Hampton Inn Norfolk/Chesapeake (Greenbrier Area), for one night (check-in that same day, check-out the next day). Time the reservation made was about 7:35pm local time (i.e., after the cancellation deadline). The reservation was made under my account for the BAR and with my saved credit card.

I immediately called the hotel and explained I didn't make the reservation and that likely my Hilton account had been compromised. Obviously I changed my password immediately. The front desk at the property was quite helpful and canceled the reservation and also mentioned that "they are trying to complete mobile check-in right now, but haven't finished... this has been happening more recently with our property and the property down the street (OP note: not sure which property she was referring to)."

I joked that we should let the "hacker" check-in and then we could go catch them but obviously I don't think anyone wants to go through the effort. So a few questions / observations for discussion for the group:

1) Anyone have an opinion on if we had "let" the "hacker" check-in and then try to "catch" them later - what would've happened?
2) It seems like through a search, Hilton seems to have pretty weak account security (e.g., from a consumer point of view, no 2FA) and folks have experienced many a cyber security incident before in the past
3) Is this just a common occurrence? Anyone want to speculate on what the "hacker" was trying to achieve? A nice one-night stay at a random Hampton Inn with their family for free? Seems like a lot of work and a big potential to get caught.
There is a big increase in identify theft, credit card theft, and other similar fraud type crimes tied hotels, apartments, entertainment bookings, etc. In your case, fraudsters could be trying to use the hotel room for illegal activity, could have sold the booking to someone else, or could have simply wanted to "steal" a room night. Apartment, Airbnb and other type of fraud is on the rise too - apply for an apartment with a stolen identity, and take advantage of the apartment while the lengthy eviction process plays out. Often this activity is driven by organized crime. If I were you I would check for other potential fraudulent activity across your various accounts
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 9:26 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bj27
Agreed. It was either a test/trial to see if this would work or more likely Person A hacked your account and resold a reservation to Person B who was actually trying to check-in.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 9:23 am

Angry My Hilton Honors Account was hacked, my account closed and points stolen!

I had a Hilton Honors account since the early 2000's and 2 months ago, someone hacked into my account and reserved a room with my points.

I got the notifcation that my digital key I requested was ready and that someone booked a room in Fort Worth Texas

I called Hilton Honors to report the fraudulent activity and they said they would cancel the reservation and put a hold on my account while they investigated it. I was told that I would be given a
email explanation of their findings in 2 weeks.

After 3 weeks had lapsed I still could not logon to my Hilton Honors account and called Hilton Honors. The intial reps just told me that my account had been closed, a new account number had been given and there was no points on my new account.
Everytime I ask to speak to a supervisor I'm transferred and then shortly after cutoff. I've called them 3 times to no avail

I've written their customer service email multiple times and even wrote a hardcopy letter and included invoices of my previous stays with my Hilton Honors account number and snail-mailed it to Hilton's Corporate Headquarters in Texas, still no response.

Any ideas on how to recoup my Hilton Honors points?
Old Jun 27, 2023, 6:14 am
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton

Programs: Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by ironbankman
...Any ideas on how to recoup my Hilton Honors points?
I would be glad to try to help. But, I would need for you to send me a private message here at FlyerTalk with your full name, Honors account number, and any case numbers associated with the issue.

Best regards,

William
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 1:40 pm
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton

Programs: Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by ironbankman
...Any ideas on how to recoup my Hilton Honors points?
Haven't heard from you, so hopefully this is cleared up. If you still need help, we'll have to touch base when I return on July 5th.

Best regards,

William
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 7:38 am

Trying to get in touch with Hilton Honors Ambassador but can’t figure out how to DM my information - Any pointers?
Old Aug 5, 2023, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by WUP350
Trying to get in touch with Hilton Honors Ambassador but cant figure out how to DM my information - Any pointers?
Originally Posted by Hilton Honors Ambassador
I am leaving immediately and will not return until Tuesday, August 8th. Private Messaging will be disabled here at Flyertalk during this time frame, so please email my colleagues at [email protected] if you need any assistance while I am away. Unless you are trying to get your account unsuspended. Those requests need to go to [email protected] instead. If I am already working or offered to help on something on anyone's behalf, feel free to contact me when I return.

Best regards,

William
Old Aug 5, 2023, 8:24 am

Thanks - That explains it!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.