Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton reservations in Europe: PSD2 may require your card to be authenticated

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton reservations in Europe: PSD2 may require your card to be authenticated

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2020, 10:33 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by florens
Does this apply to bookings made through the app?
Yes. But if you have a Swiss credit card them you may well be out of scope, since Switzerland isn't applying PSD2.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 10:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by aztimm
This has been around for at least several months. I made a booking in November (will arrive on-property tomorrow), and got the email a few days after my reservation. I had to go to a separate page to basically complete the credit card portion again. It said something like if I didn't do this my reservation would be cancelled.
I had just assumed this was going on for a while.
It has been around for months, and indeed my one and only experience of it was in November.

It only appears to affect a very small number of bookings so people may not be too aware of how it works. I've made at a guess 20 advance purchase bookings since the change, and the experience with Hilton St. George's Park described upthread is the only time it has happened.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 11:40 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes. But if you have a Swiss credit card them you may well be out of scope, since Switzerland isn't applying PSD2.
Makes sense. I assumed otherwise, but of course CH is not in the EEA.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 1:45 pm

Programs: HH D
Received another of these Payment Requests. Filled in all details (card number, expiry date, name, address etc. etc.) on seven different browsers/devices/domains, using the link in the email. Every time got the same response. 3C: a craint compltement!
Attached Images  
:D! likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2023, 11:47 am

So I guess I am three years and one global pandemic late to the party here, but...this seems like the most relevant thread I can find for my inquiry via combination of google and FT forum search. Am heading on my (U.S. citizen) first trip to Europe (beginning in the UK) since 2020 and received an email regarding my first upcoming stay (points redemption). It stated very clear language "Your bank may require you to authenticate this transaction. Use the link you received...". However, I did not receive any emails from their 3rd-party vendor, and the further information on the Hilton website is useless (You may live in a place where you may have to do something, maybe). Does anyone have any guidance here - are stays at risk because they cannot pre-auth a card for what would presumably just be incidentals on a points redemption anyhow? Seems like they are using needlessly strong language if not.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 12:33 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by arlflyer
So I guess I am three years and one global pandemic late to the party here, but...this seems like the most relevant thread I can find for my inquiry via combination of google and FT forum search. Am heading on my (U.S. citizen) first trip to Europe (beginning in the UK) since 2020 and received an email regarding my first upcoming stay (points redemption). It stated very clear language "Your bank may require you to authenticate this transaction. Use the link you received...". However, I did not receive any emails from their 3rd-party vendor, and the further information on the Hilton website is useless (You may live in a place where you may have to do something, maybe). Does anyone have any guidance here - are stays at risk because they cannot pre-auth a card for what would presumably just be incidentals on a points redemption anyhow? Seems like they are using needlessly strong language if not.
The authentication usually happens on the app/website at time of booking. In the case of a redemption it just checks the card is valid, if the hotel wants to - not all hotels bother.

With nothing to pay upfront there isn't anything further to authenticate after the booking is made.

There is now often an authentication step as part of checking in on the app, and it doesn't always work, meaning you have to go to the front desk.

As diamond it's very rare to get asked do to a pre-auth on redemptions in Europe except at the higher-end properties, or unless you indicate you want to charge stuff to the room.
arlflyer likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 2:43 am

Thanks for this - much appreciated. The email message was just very direct about this, but sounds like they were just trying to cover all cases. I can do whatever is needed at check-in, absolutely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.