Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2019, 5:30 am

I wen't through the flexible dates calendar for a six month period for the WA Amsterdam and WA Qasar Al Sharab. Amsterdam did not have a single night available for the standard room rate, and every night available at the premium room rate of 398k points per night. Qasar Al Sharab also didn't have a single standard room rate available, the next best option was 140k points per night. Will be interesting to see how the Ithaafushi will be loading their rates.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 9:58 am

Last August we spent 3 nights/2 rooms at WA Amsterdam, I know I had to keep checking and checking re points availability.. finally got some of the night for 95,000/ or weekend certificate and then paid for the other nights... also did paid guaranteed upgrade. Lovely hotel and staff. Would return to WA Amsterdam
Old Jan 12, 2019, 12:43 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by brandonpkt
QQ for those on the forum. I know it is just speculation at this point, but do you think the cash difference between different room types is likely to be the cost to upgrade from a base points stay? (e.g., $200++ to upgrade from a beach villa points stay to a Reef Villa)
I doubt it. Other hotels of this caliber charge more for a cash upgrade on a points redemption than the price difference between two room categories.

Originally Posted by brandonpkt
Also as a side note, isn’t it really funny how the blogger from the link just basically took our conversation from this thread (e.g. pricing for WA Maldives vs CM) and made an article out of it
Yeah no kidding. There is not a single new element in this article that we did not discuss here first.

Last edited by Canarsie; Apr 30, 2019 at 11:49 am Reason: Consolidation.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by llfoster
Last August we spent 3 nights/2 rooms at WA Amsterdam, I know I had to keep checking and checking re points availability.. finally got some of the night for 95,000/ or weekend certificate and then paid for the other nights... also did paid guaranteed upgrade. Lovely hotel and staff. Would return to WA Amsterdam
Interesting (and pleasing) that you managed to find availability at 95k. Seems they are only making a few rooms available for points so they are extremely hard to come by. Wouldn't surprise me if the WA does the same as it could well be a stipulation of joining the Hilton portfolio to make at least a certain number of rooms available (perhaps a percentage of the total number of rooms at the property?) for points redemption. Let's hope they don't do the dirty on us and do the same as St. Regis Vommuli and what looks like a few other Marriott properties.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Interesting (and pleasing) that you managed to find availability at 95k.
Another poster said the WA Beverly Hills never has 95K nights available. Just looked up December...

The experts may know better than I, but I suspect all the WAs have a 95K room. Maybe not for high season and maybe only one room a day. Making it seem like ”never”.

My prediction is the WA Maldives will open with good 95K availability. Once they have DPs to prove they can command $2K a night they will tighten those up.

TD

Last edited by Traveler Dave; Jan 12, 2019 at 6:00 pm
Old Jan 12, 2019, 6:06 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by Traveler Dave
My prediction is the WA Maldives will open with good 95K availability. Once they have DPs to prove they can command $2K a night they will tighten those up.
Honestly none of us know, but this prediction is as good as any and is mine as well.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 6:24 pm

Not to hijack this thread about other WAs, but since we are trying to guess what this WA is going to look like, this DP might be relevant.

I could not find any 95K nights for WA Jeddah Qard Al SHarq. But I did find many nights like the screen shot below. If the WA Maldives has base rooms for $362US a night I won’t complain. And while 140K is not 95K, that is not too shabby either.

I still stand by my previous prediction. They still have to compete with other reward rates in the area.

Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: LH Sen, HH Diamond, IC RA
My wife took a photo from the Seaplane on December 21st when we were on the way to the Conrad Maldives.
Resort looks huge, first thought was, it could be the new Curio, but I think this is the WA.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 5:28 pm

Thanks for the pic! Do you have it in anything higher than 1,024 × 768?
Old Jan 13, 2019, 10:33 pm

Programs: LH Sen, HH Diamond, IC RA
I will send you the picture via E-Mail, hope it is better than.

Last edited by tom-schmitt; Jan 13, 2019 at 11:18 pm
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:45 am

Programs: Hilton, Marriott, IHG
a few thoughts based on the recent conversations:

The admittedly high estimated prices are like the rack rates on the door of the hotel room, noone really ever pays them. For peak travel times, they are in line with St. Regis and Conrad and for off-times, they will likely be much lower. The Maldives boasts lots of very high-end properties so the competition will be good for consumers.

Not sure why some posters begrudge a blogger for compiling the most thoughtful commentary available on the FT thread into a much more readable blog post, and for the person who seemed particularly disturbed that the blogger gets some bonuses and freebies... FT isn't a charity or did you miss the advertisements to the right and all over this site?

95,000 point redemptions is a competitive advantage for Hilton, which has an interest in strengthening brand loyalty in the wake of the Marriott-Starwood merger, which left many previously loyal Marriott and Starwood customers looking for alternatives. There are already some exclusions for specialty properties, but I don't think WA Maldives would try this. I expect we will see entry-level rooms available at the 95,000 price point, especially in the beginning when the property is 100% vacant since they know this is being watched closely by Hilton loyalists, travel bloggers and FTers.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by B7Bombers
a few thoughts based on the recent conversations:

The admittedly high estimated prices are like the rack rates on the door of the hotel room, noone really ever pays them. For peak travel times, they are in line with St. Regis and Conrad and for off-times, they will likely be much lower. The Maldives boasts lots of very high-end properties so the competition will be good for consumers.

Not sure why some posters begrudge a blogger for compiling the most thoughtful commentary available on the FT thread into a much more readable blog post, and for the person who seemed particularly disturbed that the blogger gets some bonuses and freebies... FT isn't a charity or did you miss the advertisements to the right and all over this site?

95,000 point redemptions is a competitive advantage for Hilton, which has an interest in strengthening brand loyalty in the wake of the Marriott-Starwood merger, which left many previously loyal Marriott and Starwood customers looking for alternatives. There are already some exclusions for specialty properties, but I don't think WA Maldives would try this. I expect we will see entry-level rooms available at the 95,000 price point, especially in the beginning when the property is 100% vacant since they know this is being watched closely by Hilton loyalists, travel bloggers and FTers.
The quoted rates aren't the rack rates on the door that "no one really ever pays". These are actual quoted rates we are receiving from the hotel when inquiring about booking certain dates.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by mikewhyatt
The quoted rates aren't the rack rates on the door that "no one really ever pays". These are actual quoted rates we are receiving from the hotel when inquiring about booking certain dates.
they really are rack rates, when Hilton puts their property online for booking there are a host of discounted rates available, including Honors Discount rates, Leisure Escapes, AAA/Senior Rates, Weekend Getaway, etc. And this doesn't even take into account the frequent promotions like the 25% promo that is going on now that would have included WA Maldives had the property been open as originally scheduled. When you are calling to book a not yet open hotel you are almost certainly going to get the highest rates possible, not the best rates available.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Traveler Dave

Another poster said the WA Beverly Hills never has 95K nights available. Just looked up December...

Just stayed here on Saturday night using a free night cert. Weekday nights seem to be fairly easy, Saturday nights are more hard to come by.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: TK E/*G, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Platinum
Any information on lounge access at Male airport yet, is it possible the WA will share the Conrad lounge?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.