Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton or Marriott for Amex points dump?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2019, 10:13 am
Original Poster

I have 70K Amex points that I need to move before I close my account. Currently, 1K Amex points translates to 2K Hilton points or 1K Starriott points... but which gives the best value?

Last edited by Splatkat; Feb 7, 2019 at 10:35 am
Old Feb 7, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Everyone places their own value on a point so there is no definitive answer. You can use google and search for "Marriott point value" and "Hilton point value" to get some ideas. Personally, I value a Hilton point at .45 cents. I don't use Marriott so have no value for those.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Splatkat
I have 70K Amex points that I need to move before I close my account. Currently, 1K Amex points translates to 2K Hilton points or 1K Starriott points... but which gives the best value?
So that 70k Amex would equal either 140k Hilton or 70k Marriott points.

With Hilton, 95k/night is the highest standard award level (Conrad Maldives, Conrad Tokyo, etc.). So you'd have enough to book one night in the nicest of properties, and still have 45k left over which is enough for another free night in many mid-level $150-$250 Hilton/Doubletree/Embassy Suties properties worldwide.

With Marriott, 60k/night is the highest standard award level currently, increasing to 85k/night this year. So you'd have enough to book one night in a top end property, with 10k leftover, which doesn't go very far, i.e. the Fairfield Inn on the side of the interstate. And that assumes you book before March when Marriott introduces Category 8/85k.

So on the surface I'd say Hilton is a slightly better "value", but again it's impossible to say for sure without knowing your travel patterns or if you actually want to visit any of these properties, etc.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:32 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Of the two, I would go with Hilton (I don't find Marriott to be worth twice as much). Aren't there some better values with the airlines? I am not real familiar with MR.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Free Range Airline Chicken
For MR points, I’d look at airlines before hotels, but as had been said, each of us will have our own priorities. Between the two hotel chains, I view Marriott points as more valuable thanHilton, but not twice as valuable. So based on the info you’ve given, I’d go with Hilton.

that could change if you checked out a couple of specific redemptions that you might make though.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:21 pm

Transfer them to Aeroplan and fly somewhere in biz with *A (find a different way to get back ).

2x Hilton points over 1X Marriott points, Hilton for sure.
missamo80 and Duke787 like this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Just an awful use of Amex MR either way.

I would transfer to an airline.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 4:27 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Since AMEX doubles the Hilton points against the Marriott, the question really is, are Hilton points worth half that of Marriotts?

It’s essentially very easy to redeem Hilton points at 0.45c whereas whilst Marriott points aren’t difficult to redeem at 0.9c, they’re not as easy as Hilton at 0.45c. So whilst Marriott points are realistically worth double Hilton’s, there is a slight advantage to Hilton as it’s easier to get the value.

Hilton also has the advantage that you can use them against any room type you like and in part payment meaning you’ll not be left with a few thousand effectively useless points, whereas Marriott points redeem at only against base rooms with no real part payment method, so you could end up with several thousand points you simply can’t use.

All in all I’d go with Hilton here.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BrightlyBob

Hilton also has the advantage that you can use them against any room type you like and in part payment meaning youll not be left with a few thousand effectively useless points, whereas Marriott points redeem at only against base rooms with no real part payment method, so you could end up with several thousand points you simply cant use.
Is that really true now? With SPG you could get upgraded/executive rooms and suites, often for only a small up-charge, but you had to book over the phone. Is that completely gone now in the new program?
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Is that really true now? With SPG you could get upgraded/executive rooms and suites, often for only a small up-charge, but you had to book over the phone. Is that completely gone now in the new program?
It varies by property. Some Marriotts also will offer better rooms for an upcharge. I think it's less widely available than it was under the SPG program though.

The issue I would have Marriott vs. Hilton is that if you transfer to Hilton, you have to stay in a Hilton, and there's not nearly so many of those I would want to stay in.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 6:54 am

I would pick Hilton.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Splatkat
Why do you need to close your account? Do you realize that there are now two (personal Everyday card, and Blue Business Plus card) no-annual-fee Amex cards you can get which preserve your points and allow transfers? So if you open one of those before you close your presumably high-AF account, you won't need to rush into a transfer decision.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:09 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Gold, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
My account is showing a 20% bonus for Hilton transfers at the moment. (As recently as Christmas, they were offering a 50% bonus--I did take advantage of that one.)

It kind of depends on how you use your points. Hilton varies redemption price based on retail price. Marriott has specific point levels based on property. Myself, I like spreading my points around so that I can choose the best redemption deal for a particular situation. Maybe go half and half?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Spire, Caesars Diamond
The other thing to consider - especially when the 'easiest redemption' value of Hilton Points is about 0.45-0.5c and Marriott points is 0.9-1.1c depending on where you stay (I realise premium location/aspirational stays often yield mega rewards but I'm being semi-realistic here since we're talking about 70k points... not gonna buy many nights anywhere the c/point become attractive) - is airline programmes that also let you book hotels.

I don't know all the programmes that do this unfortunately (something to add to my research list) but take AVIOS (BA Executive Club) they often let you redeem for hotels for 0.8c/point which is *just* less than if you transfer 1MR to 2 Hilton points and get 0.9c value per MR but an AVIOS on flights is worth 1.3c typically (and 2c+ if redeemed for AA domestic first flights) so it can give you some more flexibility especially as the hotels are not tied to one chain so you might save money making the lower c/point still better than what you'd get via Hilton. I know Marriott also offers airline transfers though at 'not horrific' rates, so I might lean towards that if I had status there, wanted the flexibility etc. Hilton's airline transfers are so weak you're turning a fully flexible currency into one that you can only use for one thing effectively.

Though with a small number of points you may not care... but noting that it's still worth $1,400+ in flights with AA (through AVIOS), for example, so I wouldn't be keen to burn it all for 'enough for 3 nights at an OK Hilton' for example.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Neither transfer to an airline or grab an EveryDay card to keep points without fee

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.