FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hilton or Marriott for Amex points dump?
View Single Post
Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:19 am
JJeffrey
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Splatkat
I have 70K Amex points that I need to move before I close my account. Currently, 1K Amex points translates to 2K Hilton points or 1K Starriott points... but which gives the best value?
So that 70k Amex would equal either 140k Hilton or 70k Marriott points.

With Hilton, 95k/night is the highest standard award level (Conrad Maldives, Conrad Tokyo, etc.). So you'd have enough to book one night in the nicest of properties, and still have 45k left over which is enough for another free night in many mid-level $150-$250 Hilton/Doubletree/Embassy Suties properties worldwide.

With Marriott, 60k/night is the highest standard award level currently, increasing to 85k/night this year. So you'd have enough to book one night in a top end property, with 10k leftover, which doesn't go very far, i.e. the Fairfield Inn on the side of the interstate. And that assumes you book before March when Marriott introduces Category 8/85k.

So on the surface I'd say Hilton is a slightly better "value", but again it's impossible to say for sure without knowing your travel patterns or if you actually want to visit any of these properties, etc.