Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Can I use my HH account to book for spouse?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

I have searched but couldn't find the answer.

My wife wants to take my mother-in-law away for a few days. I wondered if I could use my HH account to book, not for any status benefit (other than free water/ wifi) but to register as an extra stay on my account.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:23 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
The simple answer is if you book a room for two guests and list your wife as an additional guest she will have no issue checking in and the stay will be recorded to your account.
bluemoon68 and TSparky like this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:35 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by BrlDsguise
The simple answer is if you book a room for two guests and list your wife as an additional guest she will have no issue checking in and the stay will be recorded to your account.
Maybe, but this is bad advice.
  1. To earn Hilton Honors Points for hotel stays, a Member must be a registered, paying and staying guest at a participating hotel within the Hilton Portfolio and meet all of the conditions described herein. https://www.hiltonhonors.com/content...2018-04-02.pdf
I think Hilton used to or maybe still does have spouce accounts. If you don't have one, you are not entitled to receive stay credits.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:16 am

I'm done this a couple times before and I typically just call the hotel and tell them that she will be arriving before I am and checking in which I would assume accomplishes the same thing as adding an additional guest.

As long as you're not staying concurrently in a different Hilton property I can't imagine how they would ever be the wiser. What are they going to do, search the room at 3 AM to make sure you're in there?
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:31 am
Original Poster

She would be checking in with her mother, so fairly obvious that it would be just two females.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BrlDsguise
This is bad advice.

There are many factors at work and you would be breaking the rules of Hilton Honors. There are no shortage of hotels that would insist that the Honors member pass by the front desk at some point.

If you say that it "often" or "usually" works and you need to be aware of x,y and z, then fair enough... Sending the OP blindly off (or more appropriately the wife) is a recipe for disaster
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by bluemoon68
She would be checking in with her mother, so fairly obvious that it would be just two females.
The mother doesn't have to go to the desk.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Delta Tupperware Medallion, National EE
Technically this would violate the rules, but I've done it many times in the past in US properties and have never run into a problem. Book the room with the wife and mil listed as additional guests and they should be able to check in without trouble.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:09 am

You won't have any problem at all. I know many HH frequent travelers who do this all the time and have never had an issue.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all. As is the way with these things, they have now decided on a different hotel, sighs!
Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Check
I'm done this a couple times before and I typically just call the hotel and tell them that she will be arriving before I am and checking in which I would assume accomplishes the same thing as adding an additional guest.

As long as you're not staying concurrently in a different Hilton property I can't imagine how they would ever be the wiser. What are they going to do, search the room at 3 AM to make sure you're in there?
Any other Hilton scams/lies you'd like to offer up?
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by tkelvin69
While I wouldn't suggest any lie like was suggested there.... I have booked a couple times for family members before the point transferring was easier like now (which I haven't tried, but have seen noted in the forum here).

In each case, I have called the hotel and asked how to properly book for my relative, and specified that I was NOT going to be there, but either wanted to gift them the stay ($$$ through credit card attached to the account) or to gift them a stay paid partly/all with points. In each case, they have said to just book it from my account and list the person(s) as additional guests. And in each case they have also told me their hotel's policy is they will provide the breakfast benefit, too, since it was booked from the account with status. Never have they suggested or mentioned to first transfer points, issue a rewards certificate in another person's name, etc.

Official policy is as has been pointed out -- No points, no benefits, no stay if the member is not there. And a hotel could of course have a policy that the member must stop by the front desk before receiving breakfast vouchers. It is certainly valid to expect that official policy is what applies.

Now, if there's app check-in, no one ever needs to go by the front desk at all. But they could presumably have vouchers (rather than just a list in the restaurant) for breakfast and leave a note in the room(s) saying the member has to go by the front desk for physical vouchers.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:41 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz PC, AA Plat Pro
Don't see you having any problems in the US, but certain countries will ask for the passports of all guests staying in the room along with the same credit card used if it was booked on a non-refundable rate.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by B3nder
While I wouldn't suggest any lie like was suggested there.... .
If you read the context of the post(s) and those preceding it certainly suggests he wouldn't be staying there but receiving the stay credit. Pretty sure this violates the T&C of Hilton as well as FT to try and receive benefits not entitled to and posting how to do it.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by tkelvin69
Are you a Hilton employee?

Tell you what, I will feel like I'm cheating Hilton when I book a stay for someone else the day Hilton rolls back the last two years of devaluations.
kt85 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.