FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Can I use my HH account to book for spouse? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1950894-can-i-use-my-hh-account-book-spouse.html)

bluemoon68 Jan 14, 2019 3:16 am

Can I use my HH account to book for spouse?

I have searched but couldn't find the answer.

My wife wants to take my mother-in-law away for a few days. I wondered if I could use my HH account to book, not for any status benefit (other than free water/ wifi) but to register as an extra stay on my account.

BrlDsguise Jan 14, 2019 4:23 am

The simple answer is if you book a room for two guests and list your wife as an additional guest she will have no issue checking in and the stay will be recorded to your account.

tkelvin69 Jan 14, 2019 4:35 am

Originally Posted by BrlDsguise (Post 30652069)
The simple answer is if you book a room for two guests and list your wife as an additional guest she will have no issue checking in and the stay will be recorded to your account.

Maybe, but this is bad advice.
  1. To earn Hilton Honors Points for hotel stays, a Member must be a registered, paying and staying guest at a participating hotel within the Hilton Portfolio and meet all of the conditions described herein. https://www.hiltonhonors.com/content...2018-04-02.pdf
I think Hilton used to or maybe still does have spouce accounts. If you don't have one, you are not entitled to receive stay credits.

Check Jan 14, 2019 8:16 am

I'm done this a couple times before and I typically just call the hotel and tell them that she will be arriving before I am and checking in which I would assume accomplishes the same thing as adding an additional guest.

As long as you're not staying concurrently in a different Hilton property I can't imagine how they would ever be the wiser. What are they going to do, search the room at 3 AM to make sure you're in there?

bluemoon68 Jan 14, 2019 8:31 am

She would be checking in with her mother, so fairly obvious that it would be just two females.

craigthemif Jan 14, 2019 8:36 am

Originally Posted by BrlDsguise (Post 30652069)

This is bad advice.

There are many factors at work and you would be breaking the rules of Hilton Honors. There are no shortage of hotels that would insist that the Honors member pass by the front desk at some point.

If you say that it "often" or "usually" works and you need to be aware of x,y and z, then fair enough... Sending the OP blindly off (or more appropriately the wife) is a recipe for disaster

Check Jan 14, 2019 8:58 am

Originally Posted by bluemoon68 (Post 30652817)
She would be checking in with her mother, so fairly obvious that it would be just two females.

The mother doesn't have to go to the desk.

eric_o Jan 14, 2019 10:49 am

Technically this would violate the rules, but I've done it many times in the past in US properties and have never run into a problem. Book the room with the wife and mil listed as additional guests and they should be able to check in without trouble.

smmrfld Jan 14, 2019 11:09 am

You won't have any problem at all. I know many HH frequent travelers who do this all the time and have never had an issue.

bluemoon68 Jan 14, 2019 3:40 pm

Thanks all. As is the way with these things, they have now decided on a different hotel, sighs!

tkelvin69 Jan 14, 2019 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Check (Post 30652773)
I'm done this a couple times before and I typically just call the hotel and tell them that she will be arriving before I am and checking in which I would assume accomplishes the same thing as adding an additional guest.

As long as you're not staying concurrently in a different Hilton property I can't imagine how they would ever be the wiser. What are they going to do, search the room at 3 AM to make sure you're in there?

Any other Hilton scams/lies you'd like to offer up?

B3nder Jan 14, 2019 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by tkelvin69 (Post 30654742)

While I wouldn't suggest any lie like was suggested there.... I have booked a couple times for family members before the point transferring was easier like now (which I haven't tried, but have seen noted in the forum here).

In each case, I have called the hotel and asked how to properly book for my relative, and specified that I was NOT going to be there, but either wanted to gift them the stay ($$$ through credit card attached to the account) or to gift them a stay paid partly/all with points. In each case, they have said to just book it from my account and list the person(s) as additional guests. And in each case they have also told me their hotel's policy is they will provide the breakfast benefit, too, since it was booked from the account with status. Never have they suggested or mentioned to first transfer points, issue a rewards certificate in another person's name, etc.

Official policy is as has been pointed out -- No points, no benefits, no stay if the member is not there. And a hotel could of course have a policy that the member must stop by the front desk before receiving breakfast vouchers. It is certainly valid to expect that official policy is what applies.

Now, if there's app check-in, no one ever needs to go by the front desk at all. But they could presumably have vouchers (rather than just a list in the restaurant) for breakfast and leave a note in the room(s) saying the member has to go by the front desk for physical vouchers.

FlyingKansan Jan 15, 2019 1:41 am

Don't see you having any problems in the US, but certain countries will ask for the passports of all guests staying in the room along with the same credit card used if it was booked on a non-refundable rate.

tkelvin69 Jan 15, 2019 5:25 am

Originally Posted by B3nder (Post 30655554)
While I wouldn't suggest any lie like was suggested there.... .

If you read the context of the post(s) and those preceding it certainly suggests he wouldn't be staying there but receiving the stay credit. Pretty sure this violates the T&C of Hilton as well as FT to try and receive benefits not entitled to and posting how to do it.

Check Jan 15, 2019 9:13 am

Originally Posted by tkelvin69 (Post 30654742)

Are you a Hilton employee?

Tell you what, I will feel like I'm cheating Hilton when I book a stay for someone else the day Hilton rolls back the last two years of devaluations.