Wiki Posts
Search

Conrad Washington DC {US-DC}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2019, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Same reason why Marriott elites aren't given access to Ritz Clubs, and the Conrad Sakura Club is better than many Ritz Clubs.
However every other Conrad on the world does give access including those in Asia so isn't this the thin end of the wedge with other lounges heading in this direction.

Never looked at the property thread as it is unlikely to feature in my travel plans but surely if Hilton want to make a lounge beyond normal lounge rules they should keep to the WA brand.

WA is the Hilton RC equivalent, Conrad is more akin to Westin
Old Oct 21, 2019, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
WA is the Hilton RC equivalent, Conrad is more akin to Westin
No, Conrad is the JWM equivalent, right down to the naming convention (after the founders).

Few new properties have a lounge of any sort so I would say that the move to a premium model is actually on trend. I find myself visiting fewer and fewer lounges anyhow even internationally since they are usually packed and quality is often declining. Though free is always nicer than paid, Sakura Club definitely executes flawlessly and I found it to be worth every penny.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by arlflyer
No, Conrad is the JWM equivalent, right down to the naming convention (after the founders).

Few new properties have a lounge of any sort so I would say that the move to a premium model is actually on trend. I find myself visiting fewer and fewer lounges anyhow even internationally since they are usually packed and quality is often declining. Though free is always nicer than paid, Sakura Club definitely executes flawlessly and I found it to be worth every penny.
Well yes I would rather have a decent lounge than the normal US hotel lounges (beyond the normally rather good IC clubs) but this isn't the case elsewhere in the world including at JWMs which always struck me as on a par with Westins which were a later addition to Marriott and on a par in the Starwood era.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Well yes I would rather have a decent lounge than the normal US hotel lounges (beyond the normally rather good IC clubs) but this isn't the case elsewhere in the world including at JWMs which always struck me as on a par with Westins which were a later addition to Marriott and on a par in the Starwood era.
Disagree. I tend to place Westin on par with a standard Marriott hotel. While JW is considered a higher end brand than Marriott, I personally don’t find it to be and in most cases I would prefer a Marriott, Ren, Westin, etc. to a JW. I personally think the Conrad in DC is every bit as good if not better than many RC properties I’ve stayed at. I preferred it to the NY EDITION that I stayed in a few weeks earlier.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 11:43 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
I've finally gotten around to booking a staycation here. At the time of booking, for two people, the Sakura club differential was $130. Do you think we stand a chance of getting a better buy-up price through Nor1?
Old Oct 29, 2019, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
I've finally gotten around to booking a staycation here. At the time of booking, for two people, the Sakura club differential was $130. Do you think we stand a chance of getting a better buy-up price through Nor1?
Is that for one night or two? I only ask because I've seen the rate differential at $70/night (that's what I've paid), so $65/night would be believable, but it would be a decent value at $130/night as well.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 3:17 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Is that for one night or two? I only ask because I've seen the rate differential at $70/night (that's what I've paid), so $65/night would be believable, but it would be a decent value at $130/night as well.
Just one Saturday night, so it's not worth it to us at that point. $70 would be pretty decent though, I'll use that as my benchmark. Thanks!
Old Oct 29, 2019, 8:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond for life, Bonvoy Titanium for Life, Delta Million Miler, Delta Platinum
I’d bet that the upgrade price will not be more attractive
Old Nov 22, 2019, 10:33 am

Just received a welcoming email from Sakura Club manager. I made reservation through AMEX Fine Hotels to get better price (4th night free) and reservation is for four people in double queen Sakura room (2 parents, kids 24, 17). They are surcharging me $60 per night for a fourth person. Does that sound correct? Since when does a room that allows an occupancy of four have a surcharge for actually having four in the room? Not a huge deal, but seems incorrect.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flytoeat
Just received a welcoming email from Sakura Club manager. I made reservation through AMEX Fine Hotels to get better price (4th night free) and reservation is for four people in double queen Sakura room (2 parents, kids 24, 17). They are surcharging me $60 per night for a fourth person. Does that sound correct? Since when does a room that allows an occupancy of four have a surcharge for actually having four in the room? Not a huge deal, but seems incorrect.
Does seem a little odd. I did a dummy booking thru Hilton and it definitely shows that room type as allowable for four adults (did a little rounding on the 17 YO just to be safe ). Rate details state 4 adults and don't mention a surcharge.

But since it was through FHR, maybe they have different terms?

I'd first review the written terms of your specific reservation through your FHR confirmation, and if nothing stands out, then just call the property and see what they say.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 2:45 pm

I can confirm that having 4 adults in a SC room costs $60-70 per person per day extra over a 2 adult SC room booking. Still, I consider the additional costs well worth the excellence of the SC.

I noticed there is a minor devaluation- afternoon tea is no longer served everyday. It has been changed to weekends/holidays only. This is pretty minor given that there were only 1-2 refreshment items offered at afternoon tea.
arlflyer likes this.

Last edited by iluvdoco; Nov 23, 2019 at 4:05 pm Reason: Clarify surcharge/additional cost issue
Old Nov 23, 2019, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
I can confirm that having 4 adults in a SC room adds a $60-70 per person per day surcharge over a 2 adult SC room booking. Still, I consider the surcharge well worth the excellence of the SC.
Agree 100% on the latter point. But that being said, disclosure of terms when executing a contract is, uh, kind of a thing. Have you seen this in writing anywhere? I don’t have a horse in this race, but just curious given the last few posts.
iluvdoco likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 4:02 pm

Agree 100% on the latter point. But that being said, disclosure of terms when executing a contract is, uh, kind of a thing. Have you seen this in writing anywhere? I don’t have a horse in this race, but just curious given the last few posts.
Haven't seen in writing. But I also haven't looked for it. To clarify, it's not an additional charge that's added after booking, at least not that I've experienced. The 4-person SC room rate is more expensive than the 2-person SC room rate, and this is visible at booking.

I also have an upcoming FHR reservation for more than 2 adults so I can report back. So far I have not been assessed a surcharge post booking.

Last edited by iluvdoco; Nov 23, 2019 at 4:32 pm
Old Nov 23, 2019, 7:02 pm

Actually, it is added after booking in case of a minor over the age of 12. Only when you put an incremental adult in the booking does the room rate change. But if that minor child is older than 12, they will surcharge you after the reservation is made.
arlflyer and iluvdoco like this.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 8:34 pm

Actually, it is added after booking in case of a minor over the age of 12. Only when you put an incremental adult in the booking does the room rate change. But if that minor child is older than 12, they will surcharge you after the reservation is made.
My guess is the website is not incrementing the room rate when minor children older than 12 (considered as adults for the purposes of the SC) are added, and the Conrad is instead choosing to add the room rate increase as a surcharge post-booking.

What did the hotel say?

Last edited by iluvdoco; Nov 23, 2019 at 9:00 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.