Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Conrad Washington DC {US-DC}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2019, 11:51 am

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by arlflyer

$20 omelet + $7 juice + $5 coffee plus 10% DC tax plus a decent tip, x2. Pretty standard big city business hotel pricing.
Ya I understand the big city pricing, and hotel pricing, it's just I've never had an omelet worth $20 or juice worth $7 ha. For that money there's enough great places in DC to go spend <$15 for coffee and a breakfast scramble.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Hyatt (Globalist)
Originally Posted by dmarge18
Ya I understand the big city pricing, and hotel pricing, it's just I've never had an omelet worth $20 or juice worth $7 ha. For that money there's enough great places in DC to go spend <$15 for coffee and a breakfast scramble.
$26 omlette. It wasn’t a big step up from the basic. Crab leg meat and roared artichoke. The potatoes were tweezered onto the plate which gives a sense of the place. Nonetheless I can’t stand by that price tho I figured a dollar after the Diamond discount.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 12:36 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Price is about supply and demand. Bigger and more expensive city hotels with more affluent customers obviously charge more. Nicer hotels charge more. Rooms cost more. Breakfast costs more. Drinks cost more. What's the confusion?
Old Aug 23, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Price is about supply and demand. Bigger and more expensive city hotels with more affluent customers obviously charge more. Nicer hotels charge more. Rooms cost more. Breakfast costs more. Drinks cost more. What's the confusion?
There's no confusion. I don't care if I'm a millionaire, $26 for an omelet just isn't worth the cost, especially when it doesn't even include coffee or juice. If I'm going to spend that kind of money on a meal, I'd rather put it toward Sakura Club access with all of its ancillary benefits. Good on them if they can get the money. Bad on people for their willingness to pay that much when there are so many options around. That's all.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 12:47 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

There's no confusion. I don't care if I'm a millionaire, $26 for an omelet just isn't worth the cost, especially when it doesn't even include coffee or juice. If I'm going to spend that kind of money on a meal, I'd rather put it toward Sakura Club access with all of its ancillary benefits. Good on them if they can get the money. Bad on people for their willingness to pay that much when there are so many options around. That's all.
Then don't get breakfast there or don't stay at a pricier hotel in the luxury segment in the first place.

Just because it isn't worth it to you doesn't mean it isn't worth it to others--for convenience, for enjoyment, for whatever reason.

The simple rule of capitalism: if you can get enough customers to pay the price, you're charging the right price. Don't like it? Don't pay for it.
Catskilltraveller likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

This is a crazy week; first Starwood Lurker comes over to the Hilton forum, now bhrubin and I'm agreeing with him??!! I'd say I need to stop drinking, but I haven't started.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by arlflyer
This is a crazy week; first Starwood Lurker comes over to the Hilton forum, now bhrubin and I'm agreeing with him??!! I'd say I need to stop drinking, but I haven't started.
No one is more alarmed than me.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 6:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond for life, Bonvoy Titanium for Life, Delta Million Miler, Delta Platinum
Actually agree as well. But I have been drinking all along!
Old Sep 1, 2019, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Here for several days in the Sakura Club. This place is amazing. Service is incredible. Will try to answer any questions.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 7:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BlueZebra
Here for several days in the Sakura Club. This place is amazing. Service is incredible. Will try to answer any questions.
One of my Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador friends stayed there and loved it. She's picky like me, too.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 5:16 am
Original Poster

One of my Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador friends stayed there and loved it. She's picky like me, too.
See, gotta spread the love around!
Old Sep 8, 2019, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I actually stayed here for the first time last week and I really enjoyed it. I usually trend towards Marriott properties but this was a last-minute trip and I got a great deal through FHR for two nights here which no Marriott properties were coming close to.

All the staff I encountered were very good, especially the front desk, bell stand, and housekeeping staff. Upgraded to a corner king at check in, $60/day for breakfast either in the restaurant or room, $100 additional credit for whatever else, keys already set up for 4pm check out (unlike at Marriott which varies from having to request it early, day of, or having to fight them to get it even when guaranteed). The housekeeping staff thoughtfully filled the ice bucked and left a tall water glass during evening turndown service, it's that kind of touch that I haven't been experiencing even at properties like the RC or EDITION lately with Marriott.

As for the property itself, very nice, clean, and modern. Most of the room functions are controlled by a central keypad although I would have appreciated a little more control to better individualize the lighting personally. The corner king is definitely a long slender room but with great floor to ceiling windows that I estimated were about 16ft high. I enjoyed the rooftop bar very much. It was nice, casual, and pleasant unlike the snobby overpriced place on top of the W.

I used my $60 each morning on room service and this was not difficult to do as others have mentioned. Probably would be a bit of a stretch for two people. With that said, both times I was fed enough that I didn't need lunch.

Overall I thought it was a great hotel in a very good location and I would certainly stay there again.
Abidjan likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
However, the Ritz Club lounge had a greater number of, and more substantial, food presentations. The Ritz Club lounge also has a broader selection of complimentary alcohol, and it was nice having the option of champagne, wine, mimosas, cocktails, etc.. at each meal.
The comparison with any US Ritz-Carlton needs to be property specific as there is a significant divergence between the quality of various US Ritz-Carlton Club ranging from good to bad. Some Ritz Carlton also chose not to have an open bar but instead ask you to order from a menu (complimentary) so that they can serve it to you. Ritz-Carlton Reynolds has completely inedible hot items in the form of vegetarian spring rolls (the type you get from supermarket and just heat up) and some sort of puffy pastry. Suffice to say, not many guests touched either of those and they went back to the kitchen pretty much untouched as they first came out. The Club upgrade charge at Ritz-Carlton also tends to between $200-$300/night although depending on occupancy, some properties will further discount it occasionally.

It seems to me, this Conrad is trying to benchmark themselves similarly to a Ritz-Carlton model, if so, their upgrade charge appears to be fair.

What will be interesting to see is how this new property handles a Diamond guest arriving on a FHR rate since messing up a stay with a FHR rate will get them on the bad side of AMEX and never a good thing as there are many compulsory requirements they must fulfill when handling a FHR guest. I will test it out next month myself and report back.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 6:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Guava
The comparison with any US Ritz-Carlton needs to be property specific as there is a significant divergence between the quality of various US Ritz-Carlton Club ranging from good to bad. Some Ritz Carlton also chose not to have an open bar but instead ask you to order from a menu (complimentary) so that they can serve it to you. Ritz-Carlton Reynolds has completely inedible hot items in the form of vegetarian spring rolls (the type you get from supermarket and just heat up) and some sort of puffy pastry. Suffice to say, not many guests touched either of those and they went back to the kitchen pretty much untouched as they first came out. The Club upgrade charge at Ritz-Carlton also tends to between $200-$300/night although depending on occupancy, some properties will further discount it occasionally.

It seems to me, this Conrad is trying to benchmark themselves similarly to a Ritz-Carlton model, if so, their upgrade charge appears to be fair.

What will be interesting to see is how this new property handles a Diamond guest arriving on a FHR rate since messing up a stay with a FHR rate will get them on the bad side of AMEX and never a good thing as there are many compulsory requirements they must fulfill when handling a FHR guest. I will test it out next month myself and report back.
I do know one of my Ambassador friends stayed the Club level at the Conrad and loved it. They found the lounge very impressive and the service as well. Sounds about right that this Conrad—at least at the Club level—is trying to position itself in the RC league.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 6:17 am
Original Poster

I do know one of my Ambassador friends stayed the Club level at the Conrad and loved it. They found the lounge very impressive and the service as well. Sounds about right that this Conrad—at least at the Club level—is trying to position itself in the RC league.
Both the lounge offerings and service are well beyond what I have experienced at any US RC I have been to. Granted the Conrad has an advantage as it is a new build targeted to a growing market, whereas most RCs are a bit older.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.