Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Payment at desk forgot Amex

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Payment at desk forgot Amex

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2018, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, TK E+, AS MVPG, SPG&Marriott Plat, HHD, Hertz PC
Hilton brand standards used to state:

For Gold and Diamond VIP Members, the credit card information should be retrieved from the guest’s HHonors Profile / Reservation and verified with the guest that they would like to use the same credit card on file. Gold and Diamond VIP Members who have a valid credit card on their reservation record or eCheck-In ARE NOT required to provide a credit card or signature at check-in.

i
i could not find a 2018 hilton standards pdf but a google search yielded this on the 2018 HGI standards:

For Gold and Diamond members, the credit card information must be retrieved from the guest’s Hilton Honors Profile / Reservation and verified with the guests that they would like to use the same credit card on file. The hotel may also request the member to provide a credit card if needed or required by local law.

Old Aug 7, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I rarely travel outside of the United States, but every one that I have done has required the physical card. Domestically, every 10th hotel or so seems to want the physical card, despite my Diamond status. Could be worse, every SPG hotel I visit always wants it, despite being a Platinum.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
every 10th hotel or so seems to want the physical card, despite my Diamond status.
It has nothing to do with "security" or "fraud"(NOT providing the card to the front desk is much better security for the cardholder). They want the card to pay lower transaction fees with card present transactions. But the whole point of taking the card at booking is to give you the convenience of not having to bring the card with you and also so you don't have to expose it physically to more parties with possible credit card skimmers
Old Aug 7, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by B3nder
It has nothing to do with "security" or "fraud"(NOT providing the card to the front desk is much better security for the cardholder). They want the card to pay lower transaction fees with card present transactions. But the whole point of taking the card at booking is to give you the convenience of not having to bring the card with you and also so you don't have to expose it physically to more parties with possible credit card skimmers
Fraud is a huge problem, process fees have been reduced to death. Prepaid is a different story, but I have no problem with presenting ID and credit card. On the off chance I somehow left my corporate card on the desk before leaving home and now need to use a personal card and get reimbursed, no big deal.

But the OP was concerned about a promotion, nothing else. If asked and he/she doesn’t have the card, lesson learned, sort of of like presenting your AAA card or proof of employment with xyz company for corporate discounts. Rarely happens, but it’s on you to prove it if asked. Again, I have no problem with the request, but I follow the rules.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 5:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
I don't think a hotel would allow that. There's no way for the Front Desk agent to verify that the card actually belongs to you. It probably doesn't hurt to ask, but I'd expect a firm no.
Ive done exactly this so many times I can’t count. They merely need a solid form of identification to verify.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Ive done exactly this so many times I can’t count. They merely need a solid form of identification to verify.
You just walk up to the Front Desk and tell them a credit card number and expiration date and they accept it? Or, is it the credit card attached to your frequent traveler profile?
B3nder likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, TK E+, AS MVPG, SPG&Marriott Plat, HHD, Hertz PC
I’ve actually done this several times at check out. I’m sure status didn’t hurt but YMMV.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 11:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by B3nder
It has nothing to do with "security" or "fraud"(NOT providing the card to the front desk is much better security for the cardholder). They want the card to pay lower transaction fees with card present transactions.
The two go hand-in-hand.

If a merchant can show a history of low fraud, then their CP and CNP rates will be very similar - normally close enough that the additional cost of the staff members time to handle the CP transaction (along with associated customer dissatisfaction, for both the customer being served and those waiting due to the additional time overhead) will basically cancel it out.

When fraud does occur (and it's a "when", not an "if"), card present (especially with chip) puts the merchant in a much better position as it basically falls to the customer to prove the charge was invalid, whereas for CNP it falls to the merchant.

You're right in saying that not providing the card is better for the cardholder, but the inverse is true - having the card (especially with chip) is better security/fraud protection for the merchant.

It's not surprising that Hilton is generally willing to take this risk for Gold/Diamond members, as it has leverage over them. If you do try and skip out on a bill or defraud them in some other way, they have actions they can take, including taking points and closing accounts - as has been reported here several times even for very minor issues (unpaid $10 room service bills/etc). For non-members or less frequent guests it's a different story.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.