Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Payment at desk forgot Amex

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2018, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

I am checking into a Hilton tomorrow and realized that I forgot my Amex card with a 50 off 250 offer at home. Does anyone have any experience getting the front desk to manually enter my Amex number in. I wont have the physical card, but I have card number and all personal information and id card.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 11:47 pm

Is the card you want to charged the one you used when you made your reservation on the website? If so, then just don't provide any card, just say to use the one on file.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 3:00 am

I don't think a hotel would allow that. There's no way for the Front Desk agent to verify that the card actually belongs to you. It probably doesn't hurt to ask, but I'd expect a firm no.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 4:34 am

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by B3nder
Is the card you want to charged the one you used when you made your reservation on the website? If so, then just don't provide any card, just say to use the one on file.
I can't remember the last time I had to show my physical card at the hotel (US travel only). I agree that as long as you've made the reservation with that card you should be ok, but not sure what country you're traveling in. I even had a stay in May that I had my son listed as an additional guest and he was able to check in before my arrival and the room was still billed to my card. I never even went to the front desk. I also get alerts from Amex that the card was not present when they run a pre-arrival hold on the card.

Last edited by birdiedouble; Aug 5, 2018 at 4:51 am
Old Aug 5, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A gold, Skyteam elite plus, Hilton gold, SPG gold
Amex will send a new card to you regardless where you are in the world! call Amex
Old Aug 5, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by B3nder
That should work at most properties. I've run into a few hotels that say they are allowed to require the physical card due to fraud issues. After the first time a hotel in Las Vegas required both ID and the physical card I called Hilton to verify that this was on the up and up. It was. To be safe you can call the hotel to see what they require.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 7:55 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by Westcoaster
That should work at most properties. I've run into a few hotels that say they are allowed to require the physical card due to fraud issues. After the first time a hotel in Las Vegas required both ID and the physical card I called Hilton to verify that this was on the up and up. It was. To be safe you can call the hotel to see what they require.
If you do online check in and/or use the digital key you should be okay with typing in the card number yourself... digital key you won't even go to the front desk just use your phone as a key. Just make sure you go to the room and use the digital key before any interaction with the front desk.

Preferably digital key.

I think you have to be Silver, Gold, or Diamond to use the digital key.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by Westcoaster
I'm only in dozens of total stays so not that many overall, I have had plenty ask and then be OK when I declined and asked to use the card on file. They will ask to try to get the lower card-present fees from the credit card company. But one of the problems is that "double-charges" are much more likely if you provide a card again and they do things incorrectly. Had that happen the first time I just gave them it at check in when asked without asking to use the card on file instead.

So, if you don't have an additional credit card with you, they'll cancel the stay and charge the cancellation fee to the same card that they just told you they were unable to charge without a physical card due to fraud issues? Sounds a little absurd that way. Of course I'd just provide the card if they insist, not ask that question.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
For the first time in a long while I had a hotel in the US ask for my card a few weeks ago. They not only needed to see it, but actually processed the transaction via chip.

When I queried it, they said they had done it due to an increase in fraud.

However in general the vast majority of US properties, and the occasional international properties, are happy using the number on file.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 5:00 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
For almost all of my UK Hilton stays, the card I booked with is used to pay without ever leaving my wallet. This applies to pre-paid and flexible rates.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 10:34 am

Gold and diamond members mostly won't be asked to swipe the card at check in. If you are a silver member and do a digital check in, there's a good chance you won't be asked to swipe the card.

None of this is guaranteed, a property may ask any guest to swipe their card at check in
Old Aug 6, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Bonvoy, Choice, IHG
I didn't have physical possession of my Amex at a recent stay in New York, but since the card was attached as my preferred card in my profile, the front desk was able to add it to the reservation. I had to show ID though which was fine. I was able to earn the double AMEX points so I was very pleased with the way they handled it.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
I don't think a hotel would allow that. There's no way for the Front Desk agent to verify that the card actually belongs to you. It probably doesn't hurt to ask, but I'd expect a firm no.
I'm very rarely asked to show my card at Hiltons. They just ask if I still want to use the one on the reservation.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by storewanderer
I think you have to be Silver, Gold, or Diamond to use the digital key.
Not according to the Hilton Digital Key FAQs. It's available for all guests that meet the technical requirements:

"Who is eligible to use Digital Key?
You must have iPhone 4S or later that is running iOS8 or later or Android 4.3 or later (Bluetooth Low Energy enabled phones only), have the ability to connect to the Internet and have the most recent version of the Hilton Honors app downloaded."
Source: Hilton Digital Key
Old Aug 6, 2018, 2:18 pm

Any honors member can use digital key, but silvers and above are eligible to bypass the desk. Blue members will always need to stop at the desk and should be asked to swipe their credit card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.