Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Free Night Certificate Questions & Experiences" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Expiration: The 12 month expiration date on a certificate means you must reserve and complete the stay by the expiration date. You can't reserve something beyond the 12 month period. You can't extend the expiration date. (Some exceptions starting with this post.)

Eligible Dates: A certificate can be used for a Standard Room Award any day of the week. (Old policy limited them to Fri, Sat, Sun).

Other Notes:
  • If you earned a free night from a credit card and cancel the card, the free night certificate remains intact.
  • If you cancel a reservation made with a free night certificate, the certificate becomes available right away.
  • After making a reservation with a free night certificate, you'll get an email that says you booked a Standard Room Award. It will also show the points value, but no points will actually be deducted.
  • The free night from the Aspire card arrives by email within 2 months of being approved and anniversary date, and the free night from spend on the Aspire/Business/Surpass arrives within a week or sooner of reaching the spending threshold. This is irrespective of your card statement date. If you upgrade from another Hilton Amex to the Aspire, the free night may post more quickly.
  • Available, reserved and used certificates can be seen midway through the My Account page (https://www.hilton.com/en/hilton-hon...st/my-account/)
  • If you're waiting for a free night certificate to arrive, Hilton reps say it does not help to make a points reservation and then swap it later. The reason is they have to cancel the old points reservation one and make a new reservation. The old one can't just be edited to change the payment to a FNC.
Archived older notes:
  • From the Hilton email regarding a special 2020 policy on some certificates, "For all unexpired Weekend Night Rewards as of March 11, 2020, and all new ones issued until August 30, 2020, we are extending the expiration date through the end of next summer (August 31, 2021). There is no need for you to do anything, as your certificate(s) are being automatically updated in our systems. We hope this adjustment gives you some additional flexibility for your travels
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Free Night Certificate Questions & Experiences" thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2019, 12:09 pm

Couple quick questions. 1: Since it is a free weekend night. Does that mean you can only use it to book a night on the weekend? I'm sure this has been answered many times, I apologize. I have been looking around for quite some time but haven't found what I am looking for.

2nd- if it is only for a free weekend night, would I have the ability to do the following,

Book 4 nights on points (5th night free) from Wednesday-Sunday night. --- Then call into diamond desk & use free weekend cert for one of those nights. & have my 5th night free actual drag over to Monday. Therefore having 6 nights on my stay?
Old Apr 12, 2019, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by mendezka
Couple quick questions. 1: Since it is a free weekend night. Does that mean you can only use it to book a night on the weekend? I'm sure this has been answered many times, I apologize. I have been looking around for quite some time but haven't found what I am looking for.

2nd- if it is only for a free weekend night, would I have the ability to do the following,

Book 4 nights on points (5th night free) from Wednesday-Sunday night. --- Then call into diamond desk & use free weekend cert for one of those nights. & have my 5th night free actual drag over to Monday. Therefore having 6 nights on my stay?
I guess in short, my question is. Does the 5th night free benefit have to be for a continuous 4 night stay? If I break it up, using my free night cert. Would that cause any issue with the 5th night free?
Old Apr 12, 2019, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I guess in short, my question is. Does the 5th night free benefit have to be for a continuous 4 night stay? If I break it up, using my free night cert. Would that cause any issue with the 5th night free?
Yes, all 5 nights have to be contiguous. You could add a free night to the beginning or end, of course, if it’s a valid day to redeem the free night.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero

Yes, all 5 nights have to be contiguous. You could add a free night to the beginning or end, of course, if it’s a valid day to redeem the free night.
So with that being said, the free weekend night certificate can be used on any day? Not just a weekend?
Old Apr 12, 2019, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
So with that being said, the free weekend night certificate can be used on any day? Not just a weekend?
Although there have been reports of people redeeming for any night, the terms and conditions say Friday, Saturday, or Sunday.
mendezka likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Although there have been reports of people redeeming for any night, the terms and conditions say Friday, Saturday, or Sunday.
Hopefully I'll get lucky with an agent then. Hoping to do 6 nights at the Conrad Maldives... Got enough points for 4 nights, & the weekend cert. But my Wednesday-Tuesday is cemented due to flights. Would be frustrating if I can't work it out one way or another.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 1:29 pm

Just for a data point... The agent wouldn't do it. Said the booking can't be done. Due to the fact of the the 4 night 5th night free must be continuous & the weekend night is only valid on weekends.... Might try back in a little & try again.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat (4 MM), SPG LT Plat (Bonvoy doesn’t exist to me), HH Diamond via cc, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jabez
Booked on the phone. My confirmation email lists the certificate # as below. Anyone have experience with this listing it as 50,000 points?

STANDARD ROOM REWARDHonors Reward ID: (Cert # here) 50000 Points per Night
Assuming the hotel would have been 50K for a standard award, then yes this is correct. Mine shows 80K for Koh Samui.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat (4 MM), SPG LT Plat (Bonvoy doesn’t exist to me), HH Diamond via cc, Hyatt Globalist
Just for a data point... The agent wouldn't do it. Said the booking can't be done. Due to the fact of the the 4 night 5th night free must be continuous & the weekend night is only valid on weekends.... Might try back in a little & try again.
This has always been my experience. I know above it says there have been reports of usage on other days, but when I tried the agent said they couldn’t even get the system to take it even if they wanted to.

Unfortunate that you’re stuck with your travel dates as W and Th are the only arrival days that wouldn’t work for 6 nights.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by SAN-man

This has always been my experience. I know above it says there have been reports of usage on other days, but when I tried the agent said they couldn’t even get the system to take it even if they wanted to.

Unfortunate that you’re stuck with your travel dates as W and Th are the only arrival days that wouldn’t work for 6 nights.
That's exactly what she told me. She said she attempted to book it on the Monday night & it wouldn't go through. And yea, it's not ideal. I guess I'll just use the Free night on my stopover in Hong Kong instead of at the Maldives like I wanted. Good value either way, I would just prefer to use it at the resort.

I'm sure everyone has the exact same complaint, it's weird that they only allow weekend nights for redemption of this. I was naive to think it was just a clever marketing idea or something and not actually only to be used on the weekends. I would think resorts value weekends higher than weekdays?? I'm sure there is a logistical reason for this. I just can't think of it off the top of my head.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: AA PPRO, HH Diamond, National EE
To bad you are already in Vegas. Just reserved a night at the WA LV during EDC in May where the nightly was $802.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
As a secondary question to this thread...I have 2 separate free weekend night certs (from my AMEX). Can they be used together? Can I use them added on to stays using points? Thanks in advance!!
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
I am using mine for the Hotel de Coronado near San Diego. Around $450/night

It was already a planned trip so we're not just burning the cert.
Smrtmom1 likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:37 pm

any DP here about when the aspire annual CC free night arrives? im into week 11 and im still waiting after AF posted. last year also took 11 weeks after sign up. dont know why it takes over 2 months. totally ridic.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 1:06 am

Certificate expires in October, so Aug/Sept trip only places to use it are Christchurch, Perth, Sydney, or Melbourne. What do you think? Looks like most expensive would be West Curio or Hilton Sydney.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.